>
CoN 20th Anniversary: 1997-2017
What book(s) are you currently reading?

Posted: 10th August 2017 18:10

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Third place in CoNCAA, 2014. 
See More (Total 27)
Quote (Death Penalty @ 10th August 2017 11:10)
You know, I've never actually read any Murakami - despite having heard similar praise of his work from a number of people for quite a while. I don't often read fiction that I don't study, heh, but if you've got one of his that you prefer I'd be interested to hear it!

I finished Colorless last weekend, and I ended up preferring it to the more famous Norwegian Wood. I expect that I'm going to try to grab 1Q84 at some point, but it's close to a thousand pages, and that's going to be a complicated read given his writing style. I also found out that a friend's brother even did a reading from 1Q84 at his wedding, so that has me intrigued as to what could be contained within.

Colorless plays out almost as a mystery novel, with an initial mystery laid out right away, then a secondary mystery within the unraveling of the first, all while the protagonist tries to work out some mysteries about himself and his relationship too. I think it's the more layered and nuanced of the two I've read, and it ends up being more of a pageturner even as it is elliptical and meandering. It's also set in a more modern time, so it's easier to parse for a non-Japanese reader, I think.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #213212
Posted: 12th August 2017 10:26

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Ha, I started this topic back in 2005.

I see that you guys were talking about Murakami, I'm also a fan of his. I've read Colorless, Norwegian Wood, The Wind-up Bird Chronicle, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, and Sputnik Sweetheart. I think my favourite was Hard-Boiled Wonderland.

I find all of his books follow the same pattern, so I wait a while in between books before reading another one.

Right now, I just finished a really good book called "Johannes Cabal the Necromancer" by Jonathan L. Howard. It's the first in a series. It's sort of steam-punk, sort of dark, and quite funny.

--------------------
I had an old signature. Now I've changed it.
Post #213224
Posted: 19th December 2017 20:15

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I'm about a third of the way through Edith Hamilton's Mythology. It's a big panoramic of Greek mythology so far, which has been fun. It certainly serves as a "teaser" for a lot of the stories in the sense that there are many excerpts that make me want to read them in their entirety.
Post #214260
Posted: 20th December 2017 00:07

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Third place in CoNCAA, 2014. 
See More (Total 27)
Quote (finalalias @ 19th December 2017 14:15)
I'm about a third of the way through Edith Hamilton's Mythology. It's a big panoramic of Greek mythology so far, which has been fun. It certainly serves as a "teaser" for a lot of the stories in the sense that there are many excerpts that make me want to read them in their entirety.

Wow, that's a flashback. I think that was on my reading list for one year in high school.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #214262
Posted: 20th December 2017 12:13

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Ready Player One is worth a read if you're a big fan of the 80s and video games in the 80s. Although worth pointing out it actually take place in the future. Fun story.

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #214265
Posted: 20th December 2017 12:53

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 27)
Quote (fatman @ 20th December 2017 06:13)
Ready Player One is worth a read if you're a big fan of the 80s and video games in the 80s. Although worth pointing out it actually take place in the future. Fun story.

Yeah, I bet a lot of people will check that out with the movie coming. I know a few of us read it when it was fairly new a few years back, so if you really want, you can probably scan this very thread for more thoughts on it, heh.

--------------------

Post #214266
Posted: 24th December 2017 13:32

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Rangers51 @ 20th December 2017 12:53)
Quote (fatman @ 20th December 2017 06:13)

Yeah, I bet a lot of people will check that out with the movie coming. I know a few of us read it when it was fairly new a few years back, so if you really want, you can probably scan this very thread for more thoughts on it, heh.

I thought the book was newer than that, but then it's rare for me to get a book on its release. Recently got round to checking out two of the sci-fi classics, Dune and Hyperion. Both very good but I must admit Ready Player One really had me hooked, really good fun. Looking forward to the sequel, fingers crossed it's just as entertaining and the author finds a way to keep us interested.

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #214303
Posted: 1st February 2018 15:41

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 27)
Quote (Elena99 @ 12th August 2017 04:26)
I see that you guys were talking about Murakami, I'm also a fan of his. I've read Colorless, Norwegian Wood, The Wind-up Bird Chronicle, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, and Sputnik Sweetheart. I think my favourite was Hard-Boiled Wonderland.

I find all of his books follow the same pattern, so I wait a while in between books before reading another one.

I think your comment about the pattern is why I had Wind-up Bird from the library for a full month (and had to renew it) before I started to read it. That said, I started it on Sunday when I was flying for work, read half of it on the plane, and then finished the second half on the plane back last night. I'd say it's probably my favorite of the three I've read so far, but again, the pattern starts to emerge and as brilliant as his language is, it does all start to become a little samey when you're a few books in.

The emotional thrust of Wind-up Bird is probably the one that has hit closest to home for me, and it did make parts of the story kind of difficult to read. But it's such an interesting story, with the big chunks of historical fiction intermixed with the kind of standard Murakami paranormal/dreamworld aspects that it was a surprising page-turner. I've also either become more accustomed to his desire for leaving loose ends, or he managed to do it in a less-infuriating way in Wind-Up Bird. smile.gif

--------------------

Post #214482
Posted: 12th February 2018 13:49

Returner

Well, you know, Iím reading Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. Great best-selling book that received a lot of prizes such as the book of the year on The New York Times Book Review. Also, Its author received Nobel Prize in Economics.
Thanks all for recommendations! Iíll add some items to my must-read list

--------------------
"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible"
Post #214518
Posted: Yesterday at 15:58

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Watership Down by Richard Adams
Post #214546
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: