CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic
Final Fantasy VI Coming to Windows: Not a Remake

Posted: 8th December 2015 19:35

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
It's not 3D, and it's definitely not the direction of Final Fantasy VII Remake, but that wonderfully polarizing mobile release of Final Fantasy VI is now coming to Steam. Of course, we all pretty much knew that was coming - any idiot could have told you that.

What to expect from this? The same thing that we got with Final Fantasy V, naturally; a version of the game with the new, wispy-sprite art style and generic font, configured to run under Windows and with the general layer of Steaminess like achievements, trading cards, and Steam Cloud. The game releases on December 16 and does not have a published price yet, though Final Fantasy V released at $15.99 a few months back.

Source: Kotaku
Post #210013
Posted: 8th December 2015 19:39

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Since I have the Android release of the game, I'm missing nothing apart from the DRM which is wonderful to be missed. Though I've to say that I can't find a proper Android emulator to play FFVI well without a hitch using Android on PC.

--------------------
I am Exdeath. Step aside pesky clowns, or your warranty is Void!
Post #210014
Posted: 8th December 2015 23:14

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Neat. Buying this.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #210017
Posted: 10th December 2015 02:16
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
"Final Fantasy VI Coming to Windows: Not a Remake"

user posted image

"...mobile release of Final Fantasy VI is now..."

user posted image

--------------------
Post #210024
Posted: 10th December 2015 17:48

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Disappointing.Might get it if it has new stuff in it, otherwise il play snes version.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210036
Posted: 10th December 2015 18:02

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 10th December 2015 19:48)
Disappointing.Might get it if it has new stuff in it, otherwise il play snes version.

It has new stuff over the SNES version like a bonus dungeon and an enemy rush minigame hidden post-endgame. Also includes an album to review the events of the game as well as the superior GBA translation, as well as a soundtrack player inside. If anything, its not missing one bit of the originals, its the SNES game + extras.

Still I do not suggest you to buy the game on PC. Do it on Android and stay away from the icky yucky DRM, no need to even buy anything with that much icky in it.

--------------------
Post #210037
Posted: 10th December 2015 20:41

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
I just saw what it would look like and I have to say I am very angry and very disappointed that it looks so bad.ENIX!!! mad.gif they made it easier too, why?

The auto feature is nice but they ruined the world map and the character sprites.It all looks like it's done on rpg maker, looking cartoonish.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210039
Posted: 10th December 2015 20:59

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 10th December 2015 22:41)
I just saw what it would look like and I have to say I am very angry and very disappointed that it looks so bad.ENIX!!! mad.gif they made it easier too, why?

The auto feature is nice but they ruined the world map and the character sprites.It all looks like it's done on rpg maker, looking cartoonish.

Pretty much the sprites in the new version are much better than anything RPG Maker you're going to say, so I don't even get the mention either. They're also much better than the SNES sprites, granted.

However, as for making it "easier", I'm not even sure how true is that. Because in the difficulty department, it didn't feel much different than the godawful PSX port, and that's coming from someone who played the PSX half a time and beat the mobile port twice. Must tell you that in the 2nd Android run, I was almost getting hammered by Ultima Weapon, almost no different than the time he almost got me hammered in the PSX version, and I beat him in the same way in both runs: with a Riot Blade. So, 'easier', that's just a rumor.

--------------------
Post #210040
Posted: 10th December 2015 22:00

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Pooka @ 10th December 2015 20:59)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 10th December 2015 22:41)
I just saw what it would look like and I have to say I am very angry and very disappointed that it looks so bad.ENIX!!!  mad.gif  they made it easier too, why?

Pretty much the sprites in the new version are much better than anything RPG Maker you're going to say, so I don't even get the mention either. They're also much better than the SNES sprites, granted.

However, as for making it "easier", I'm not even sure how true is that. Because in the difficulty department, it didn't feel much different than the godawful PSX port, and that's coming from someone who played the PSX half a time and beat the mobile port twice. Must tell you that in the 2nd Android run, I was almost getting hammered by Ultima Weapon, almost no different than the time he almost got me hammered in the PSX version, and I beat him in the same way in both runs: with a Riot Blade. So, 'easier', that's just a rumor.

It's larger is what I noticed but the characters look more plastic and cartoony and the world looks a little worse too.i saw a scale of figure castle on the world map and it's smaller than the character.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210042
Posted: 16th December 2015 20:16

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Well, far be it from me to stir up drama, but the predictable Fortress of Doors commentary on this release is now in. http://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd...y-ffvi-edition/

Well, okay, maybe a little drama around this. But don't shoot the messenger!

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #210083
Posted: 16th December 2015 20:30

Black Mage

Awards:
Well, the commentary had a chance to appear just a year ago when the game was originally re-released in this form. Another case of "too late to the party".

There's no more drama or good news to be said about this PC port, other than it being a DRM'd PC port of course. What applied to the mobile version applies there. Yes.

--------------------
Post #210084
Posted: 16th December 2015 21:45

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
Quote (Pooka @ 16th December 2015 20:30)
other than it being a DRM'd PC port of course.

Horror of all horrors.
Post #210085
Posted: 17th December 2015 06:54

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Cefca @ 16th December 2015 23:45)
Quote (Pooka @ 16th December 2015 20:30)
other than it being a DRM'd PC port of course.

Horror of all horrors.

You sir, got the gist of it. That's the only time I'll ever tell you to 'emulate the GBA or the SNES' version, if you're stuck on the PC platform with no Android to fall back to. Seriously, the DRM is just a potential killer for the PC platform, and it severely damages the platform. But hey, we've got millions of people buying the ability to have their games controlled by third-parties and owned by third parties (in license rather than in the game's content) rather than giving YOU these abilities.

--------------------
Post #210087
Posted: 17th December 2015 13:40

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
Quote (Pooka @ 17th December 2015 06:54)
But hey, we've got millions of people buying the ability to have their games controlled by third-parties and owned by third parties (in license rather than in the game's content) rather than giving YOU these abilities.

That's probably because most people couldn't care less. I've gotta ask though, how exactly are they "controlling" my games?
Post #210090
Posted: 17th December 2015 16:44

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Cefca @ 17th December 2015 15:40)
Quote (Pooka @ 17th December 2015 06:54)
But hey, we've got millions of people buying the ability to have their games controlled by third-parties and owned by third parties (in license rather than in the game's content) rather than giving YOU these abilities.

That's probably because most people couldn't care less. I've gotta ask though, how exactly are they "controlling" my games?

They "control" your games a lot like how a mother could "control" you also in that same sense.

What do I mean? In order to play, you need to ask the client and send it a request to play the game, otherwise it wouldn't play. Now here's the thing: in order to play, you need the client installed, and you need to be logged in with the account that bought the game. You also need to be connected to the internet to do either of those. If you lose either conditions, you simply cannot play your game legally without resorting to, err, black magic.

The end result is not lovely if you don't have the internet, which I suffered for... a solid 5 months.

--------------------
Post #210094
Posted: 17th December 2015 16:47

Engineer

Awards:
See More (Total 14)
Quote (Pooka @ 17th December 2015 16:44)
and you need to be logged in with the account that bought thegame.

Not really sure how that's any different to when every game came with a CD key.

You also need to be connected to the internet to do either of those. If you lose either conditions, you simply cannot play your game legally without resorting to, err, black magic.

This isn't true. I've played my Steam games for months before while having no internet.
Post #210095
Posted: 17th December 2015 17:08

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Cefca @ 17th December 2015 18:47)

Not really sure how that's any different to when every game came with a CD key.

You will need to remain logged in afterwards! You cannot take your game to another PC without that account with you.

Quote (Cefca @ 17th December 2015 18:47)
This isn't true. I've played my Steam games for months before while having no internet.

If it isn't true, then I don't know what it is. Because certainly that is the case. Can you install these games without the internet? No. Can you run them the first time without the internet? No as well. You need to go ONLINE first in order to play them OFFLINE, and then, you should start hoping this sucky piece of software doesn't get borked (it usually does) This is so wrong.

--------------------
Post #210098
Posted: 17th December 2015 17:39

Engineer

Awards:
See More (Total 14)
Quote (Pooka @ 17th December 2015 17:08)
If it isn't true, then I don't know what it is. Because certainly that is the case. Can you install these games without the internet? No. Can you run them the first time without the internet? No as well. You need to go ONLINE first in order to play them OFFLINE, and then, you should start hoping this sucky piece of software doesn't get borked (it usually does) This is so wrong.

Ah, so now that you've changed your statement from not being able to play the game without internet...

As long as the retail disc you bought isn't just a steam shortcut, then yes, you can install it without the internet. If it is, blame the developer. Yes, you need to go online first to be able to play the games offline and that's because the games need to be fully updated (and why would you not want them to be?).

Well the sucky piece of software has been working the 12 years it's been out without any major issues with people being able to access their games so I think we'll be fine for a bit yet. Something happens? I'll just play them offline of course.
Post #210101
Posted: 17th December 2015 18:01

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Cefca @ 17th December 2015 19:39)
As long as the retail disc you bought isn't just a steam shortcut, then yes, you can install it without the internet. If it is, blame the developer.

Its easier to blame the one who provides all the companies an easy way to screw customers than to blame all of them and keep chasing after each one, one after another. Of course when Steam changes the DRM method in the future, I can't really blame the developer this time.

Yes, you need to go online first to be able to play the games offline and that's because the games need to be fully updated (and why would you not want them to be?).

That's NOT because you need to have your games fully updated, that's just bogus. That's to, you know, COMBAT PIRACY! That's the main reason anyone tries to force that on you, and the first reason they'll yell across the room (hence the caps). If it were for the games to be fully up to date, why would they allow offline mode but scrap the ability to play offline from the get-go? Just think of it. Of course, the combat piracy excuse is also a mere excuse, as piracy is really easy at this moment even with all the DRM, but in the end, the customer is the one hurt, and the pirates are still enjoying their days no problem.

Well the sucky piece of software has been working the 12 years it's been out without any major issues with people being able to access their games so I think we'll be fine for a bit yet. Something happens? I'll just play them offline of course.

Hope that something else doesn't happen while you're playing offline of course... like Windows borking out on you. Or the program itself. Once the program disappears from your computer while you are offline, you are unable to do anything with your remaining games. I think that should be scary enough.

--------------------
Post #210102
Posted: 17th December 2015 18:09

Engineer

Awards:
See More (Total 14)
Quote (Pooka @ 17th December 2015 18:01)
Its easier to blame the one who provides all the companies an easy way to screw customers than to blame all of them and keep chasing after each one, one after another. Of course when Steam changes the DRM method in the future, I can't really blame the developer this time.

Easier maybe, but flawed.

That's NOT because you need to have your games fully updated, that's just bogus. That's to, you know, COMBAT PIRACY! That's the main reason anyone tries to force that on you, and the first reason they'll yell across the room (hence the caps). If it were for the games to be fully up to date, why would they allow offline mode but scrap the ability to play offline from the get-go? Just think of it. Of course, the combat piracy excuse is also a mere excuse, as piracy is really easy at this moment even with all the DRM, but in the end, the customer is the one hurt, and the pirates are still enjoying their days no problem.

Is there even any point to me responding to this conspiracy theory nonsense? You need to have your games fully updated, simple as. Try it if you don't believe me. Try going online to activate a game without updating it (as long as it needs updating obvsiously) and then try and play if offline and see if it works. Pro tip: It won't.

Hope that something else doesn't happen while you're playing offline of course... like Windows borking out on you. Or the program itself. Once the program disappears from your computer while you are offline, you are unable to do anything with your remaining games. I think that should be scary enough.

Dear god man, if Windows borked out on me I wouldn't be able to play the game regardless of DRM, would I? And why would the program possibly suddenly stop working offline unless my PC was the issue (in which case, guess what? DRM would be irrelevant)?
Post #210103
Posted: 17th December 2015 19:05

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Cefca @ 17th December 2015 20:09)

Easier maybe, but flawed.

It becomes even easier to blame when it became most of the time the only way to get a game on PC, that and its restricted then.

Is there even any point to me responding to this conspiracy theory nonsense? You need to have your games fully updated, simple as. Try it if you don't believe me. Try going online to activate a game without updating it (as long as it needs updating obvsiously) and then try and play if offline and see if it works. Pro tip: It won't.

Conspiracy theory? Its not one at all. And contrary to what you said, you DON'T NEED to have your games fully updated. Its recommended, but its NOT NEEDED. There's a big difference here. Even Steam itself lets you choose between manually updating the game, not updating it at all, updating it automatically, or updating it ASAP. Lookie here though: not updating it at all. The fact that you based my whole argument on a 'conspiracy theory' with a point that is not only missing the point, but is also wrong, is saying much.

Finally to deliver the sting, the whole 'updates' thingy is not a job that DRM is supposed to do. Meaning that if you want to restrict access to a digital content, you CAN enable updates, AND if you don't want to restrict access to a digital content, you CAN enable updates.

Dear god man, if Windows borked out on me I wouldn't be able to play the game regardless of DRM, would I? And why would the program possibly suddenly stop working offline unless my PC was the issue (in which case, guess what? DRM would be irrelevant)?

Who said you can't reinstall Windows while offline? I did that just two months ago with a first time installation of Windows 10. But hey, DRM is relevant because of your wallet, not because the program sucks or doesn't suck. Because if you bought DRM'd games, you supported the DRM and made it relevant yourself. If you didn't buy DRM games, you didn't support the DRM and made it irrelevant. And as I say, just take it as a fact: DRM is inherently flawed, and doesn't do its job (read: PREVENTING PIRACY), and yet in the end, only the customer is affected from its side effects, not the intended target, a.k.a. the pirate.

This post has been edited by Pooka on 17th December 2015 19:06

--------------------
Post #210104
Posted: 17th December 2015 19:26

Engineer

Awards:
See More (Total 14)
Quote (Pooka @ 17th December 2015 19:05)
Conspiracy theory? Its not one at all. And contrary to what you said, you DON'T NEED to have your games fully updated. Its recommended, but its NOT NEEDED. There's a big difference here. Even Steam itself lets you choose between manually updating the game, not updating it at all, updating it automatically, or updating it ASAP. Lookie here though: not updating it at all. The fact that you based my whole argument on a 'conspiracy theory' with a point that is not only missing the point, but is also wrong, is saying much.

Seriously try it and then come back and say that, yeah?

Who said you can't reinstall Windows while offline?

Er, not me, that's for sure. You ever heard the phrase "non sequitur"? Yeah. You're the one that brought that up in the first place, still not sure why.

But hey, DRM is relevant because of your wallet, not because the program sucks or doesn't suck. Because if you bought DRM'd games, you supported the DRM and made it relevant yourself. If you didn't buy DRM games, you didn't support the DRM and made it irrelevant. And as I say, just take it as a fact: DRM is inherently flawed, and doesn't do its job (read: PREVENTING PIRACY), and yet in the end, only the customer is affected from its side effects, not the intended target, a.k.a. the pirate.

I buy games because I want to, I couldn't give two shits whether they have DRM or not (unless it's something like starforce obviously). I'm not going to pay twice as much for a game (in general) from GOG.com* for example when I can get it a lot cheaper and the only downside is that I have to login once. Yeh, I think I can live with that.

*I don't gave a problem with GOG, I've bought plenty of games from there, it's just an example.
Post #210105
Posted: 17th December 2015 20:37

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Cefca @ 17th December 2015 21:26)

Seriously try it and then come back and say that, yeah?

Not interested, thank you. Your point is still moot. You don't go online to activate first because of updates, you do so because, at this point you are a pirate, and only when you go online to activate your game that you no longer become a pirate and become a customer. Even though you should be the customer all along.

Er, not me, that's for sure. You ever heard the phrase "non sequitur"? Yeah. You're the one that brought that up in the first place, still not sure why.

You're not sure? OUCH! Looks like you missed the reading part of my post. Yeah, I hope nothing happens to your Steam installation be it a Windows getting borked or the program glitching it out or whatever.

I buy games because I want to, I couldn't give two shits whether they have DRM or not (unless it's something like starforce obviously). I'm not going to pay twice as much for a game (in general) from GOG.com* for example when I can get it a lot cheaper and the only downside is that I have to login once. Yeh, I think I can live with that.

Very well then. But when Steam's terms of agreements changes on, not only your future games, but also the games you bought before under the old terms of agreement, and then you end up disliking a part of that new TOS so hard it'll affect your usage of the service greatly, please don't come back crying to me. I used the service myself for like three years, and I've been happy from the beginning but getting less happy until eventually, I pulled the plug on the service. I tried and I came back crying. Don't say I didn't warn you.

That said, I'm wrapping up this discussion already. We're in the area of "Beyond Off-Topic," let's end our advance into that here.

This post has been edited by Pooka on 17th December 2015 20:40

--------------------
Post #210106
Posted: 17th December 2015 20:53

Engineer

Awards:
See More (Total 14)
Quote (Pooka @ 17th December 2015 20:37)
Not interested, thank you. Your point is still moot. You don't go online to activate first because of updates, you do so because, at this point you are a pirate, and only when you go online to activate your game that you no longer become a pirate and become a customer. Even though you should be the customer all along.

Yeah, that's not what I said. For someone who talks about people missing the reading part, you seem to do it a lot. But fair enough, if you don't wanna prove most of your argument wrong, don't try it. I'll sit here happily knowing that I'm right since I'm the one that's actually done it.

You're not sure? OUCH! Looks like you missed the reading part of my post. Yeah, I hope nothing happens to your Steam installation be it a Windows getting borked or the program glitching it out or whatever.

I'm sure it won't, thanks! thumbup.gif

Very well then. But when Steam's terms of agreements changes on, not only your future games, but also the games you bought before under the old terms of agreement, and then you end up disliking a part of that new TOS so hard it'll affect your usage of the service greatly, please don't come back crying to me. I used the service myself for like three years, and I've been happy from the beginning but getting less happy until eventually, I pulled the plug on the service. I tried and I came back crying. Don't say I didn't warn you.

If, when, but, maybe, perhaps. Yeah, if you wanna base everything on what might happen, don't bother buying anything ever. But I'll keep enjoying buying my cheap games thanks. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Cefca on 17th December 2015 20:54
Post #210107
Posted: 17th December 2015 21:13

Black Mage

Awards:
Ugh whatever. I'll be sitting here knowing that I'm the correct one here, seeing as what you do is misreading stuff, and when called out on it, you call me out for your own fault. Then again, you're so trusting in your short term stuff, it'll basically hurt you, but oh my.

That's like buying one of these cheap mouses. Sure, they're cheap, but they won't last long for you, but an expensive mouse MUST last long or else. So don't come and brag about how cheap your games are when they're inferior to the long term stuff anyone should be buying. I'm paying more for more, and you're paying less for less. Nothing to brag about, you. In the end, I just noticed, you're enjoying buying games for less. Nothing at all about, enjoying playing the games you bought... Now now, can we halt this discussion to a grind with you obviously losing it out?

This post has been edited by Pooka on 17th December 2015 21:16

--------------------
Post #210108
Posted: 17th December 2015 21:30

Engineer

Awards:
See More (Total 14)
Ugh, brick walls come to mind here. I actually can't be arsed, take it as a victory if you want, I've fun out of fucks to give for the year.
Post #210109
Posted: 17th December 2015 22:10

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Been a while since I had to close a news post! Good day for it.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #210110
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic