Fighting Style
1. Offense [ 12 ]  [57.14%]
2. Defense [ 9 ]  [42.86%]
Total Votes: 21
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 26th November 2002 05:46

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Do you find yourself on the front line swinging your sword like crazy, or are you one who stays behind to support and defend?

For me, I'm a defender.  I believe in the whole "The best offense is a good defense."

--------------------
"The Master of Past, Present, and Future has returned."
Post #5361
Posted: 26th November 2002 06:04

Black Waltz

Awards:
heh, some say "best defense is offense"
I prefer defensive. For me that's what Final fantasy is all about, taking time to think about strategies.

--------------------
I will be there...
Post #5362
Posted: 26th November 2002 06:42
Onion Knight

Awards:
I guess it all depends on your personal video game style.  Do you just like to attack stuff and kill it right away without having to think about your game at all?  Or do you prefer to take your time and play it smart?

I put defense but I think it goes without saying that sometimes it's best to use a good defense while sometimes it's better to just kill it.  It's all relative......

--------------------
".....we'll settle it with a coin toss....."
"What do I look like, a waiter?"
"...alright, uncle ulty REALLY wants you to do his portrait"

"Strangers with this kind of honesty make me go a big rubbery one."
Post #5369
Posted: 26th November 2002 23:42

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
Offense. Umm...of course?

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #5406
Posted: 28th November 2002 04:17

Crusader

Awards:
In RPG's, 150% attack. Definitely. In strategy games, it's the complete opposite, though. I wait for them to come and get me.

--------------------
Lou: There's a couple of guys fighting down at the aquarium, Chief.
Wiggum: Do they still sell those frozen bananas?
Lou: I think so.
Wiggum: Let's roll.
Post #5461
Posted: 30th November 2002 02:40

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Ideally, you'd have a good measure of both.

In a traditional RPG, though, defense takes a bit of a backseat to offense.  The main point of battle (for the most part) is to kill your enemies as quickly and efficiently as possible, and at times setting up a good defense is time-consuming and relatively unnecessary, unless wrapped up in a quick spell or summon (like Golem in FFVI).

The old maxim, however paraphrased, still stands: "Sometimes the best defense is a good offense."  Or, as another put it, the First Rule of Combat: "Shoot them before they shoot you."  ;)

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #5504
Posted: 1st December 2002 23:04

Lunarian

Awards:
I perfer offense, I like to make the strongest quickest most powerful attack to down the opponent in a single stroke... Unless I feel like screwing with the game.

--------------------
At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)
Post #5548
Posted: 6th December 2002 01:25

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Preferably offense in RPG's kill your opponent fast. There is an old saying for this

"Don't think about how the enemy will kill you, Worry about how you're going to kill hte enemy".
Post #5619
Posted: 6th December 2002 02:49

Black Mage

Awards:
Preferably offense in RPG's kill your opponent fast.

Not necessarily, especially for Bosses.  Attacking a boss aimlessly with brute force leaves you vulnerable for attacks.

--------------------
"The Master of Past, Present, and Future has returned."
Post #5623
Posted: 6th December 2002 03:31

Black Waltz

Awards:
well since i am a football coach my belief is that if ur defense can prevent a team from scoring, u can't lose. i guess the same follows for games too. a strong defense is the best way to win so i have to vote for defense, even though i love swinging away with the sword

--------------------
War is for the participants a test of character; it makes bad men worse and good men better. - Joshua Chamberlain

U sir R a n00b >:-( - Cactuar
Post #5625
Posted: 6th December 2002 04:08

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Quote (Raistlin Mage @ 5 Dec. 2002, 20:49)
Not necessarily, especially for Bosses.  Attacking a boss aimlessly with brute force leaves you vulnerable for attacks.

Not unless he's dead :E
Post #5627
Posted: 7th December 2002 04:10

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2019. Third place in CoNCAA, 2018. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Second place in CoNCAA, 2015. 
In video games, I'm offence 99% of the time. Defence comes before the battle starts, in the set-up phase. Once the battle begins, it is only a test of how well your plan works. Battles are won before they ever start, both in games and in real life. Though in real life I'm mostly defencive.
Post #5655
Posted: 8th December 2002 06:44

Crusader

Awards:
SM said that quick and efficient defense spell, such as Golem, are good, and I agree. I rarely use defensive spells, even against bosses, but mighty guard (FF7) helped a lot. Golem was great in FF5.

--------------------
Lou: There's a couple of guys fighting down at the aquarium, Chief.
Wiggum: Do they still sell those frozen bananas?
Lou: I think so.
Wiggum: Let's roll.
Post #5683
Posted: 8th December 2002 09:03
Onion Knight

Awards:
personally offence is my main thing! but it all depends on what u are fighting!! if its somethin small and weak, there isnt a point to set up any sort of defence, unless of course, it has a nasty status effect it can hit u with, then defending against that might be a good idea  :nods:  but now if u are fighting somthin stronger, like a boss or strong enemy, settin up a defence is your best bet! i always put up a defence against somethin like that, if not im dead  :p   AND it also depends upon what game ur playin!!!! if ur playin somthin like ff9 and fightin some "everyday" enemies, then u usually dont have to worry about settin up much of a defence, but if ur playin somethin like fftactics, u actually have to think about ur moved before actually doin them!!!!!  i think the best person to get an oppinion on this topic would be everyones buddy Sasquatch!!!!!  hes been my bestest buddy since i was a wee little lad and he knows a ton more about this than me!  :E

--------------------
First you live
And then you die
So **** the world
LETS GET HIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Yours truly~
Post #5691
Posted: 12th December 2002 15:23
Engineer

Awards:
depends on the game.  

In FF there's very little in the way of defense, counter attacks and block happen automaticly,  so I guess I'm 100% offense by default.  

in street fighter I'm sort of 60/40  I try to get my opponent to use a specific move, then counter it. (for instance the old fireball , psycic dragon punch thingie)  works really well with blanka, ryu, and Terry in CvSNK2.

in virtua fighter defense plays a big role.  Nailing your opponent with a counter can usually net you a big combo.  Of course, one of the best defensive moves in this game is a quick jab so maybe I'm just blowing smoke    :lol:

--------------------
"Number One, I order you to go take a number two."
Post #5813
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: