CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Energy Breaker SNES

Posted: 13th August 2015 07:07
Returner

Anyone played this game?
Nice graphics for a SNES game and seems interesting overall.
But I'm having a bit of trouble with understanding how the Energy/Elements system works.
Post #209481
Posted: 13th August 2015 07:46

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I briefly played it around two years ago, after hearing about it from Glenn Magus Harvey (who will be around to talk about it in under 24 hours, I'm guessing). It's a little hard to understand the systems in place if you don't do a little research, but it's a neat, challenging RPG. Same makers as Lufia, never left Japan. So I guess it's technically a Super Famicom RPG.

--------------------
Post #209482
Posted: 16th August 2015 12:01
Returner

Beat the game.
There is an English fan translation patch for it.
Definitely one of the better RPGs on the SNES, check it out if you haven't already.
One of the few JRPGs that did away with annoying random encounters and grinding.

Anyway, regarding the element system, this is how it works.

- Every character has a set of 8 element levels (Light Wind, Dark Wind, Light Fire, Dark Fire, Light Water, Dark Water, Light Earth, Dark Earth) that can be powered up when you gain EXP/level up. Each element can be powered up to level 7.

- Spells are learned from items (Gremoires) that are found in the field although you do not immediately gain the spell upon acquisition of the Gremoire. Each spell has element requisites which you must possess in the order to learn the spell. Once you possess these requisite element levels and defeat an enemy in battle, the spell will then be learned and included in your spell list.

This post has been edited by umeshoryu on 16th August 2015 12:02
Post #209490
Posted: 19th August 2015 06:00

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I really like this game.

It has charming music, a surprisingly engrossing story (despite my not quite understanding all of it, it still felt emotionally resonant), intriguing setting elements and characters and backstories, and a curiously in-depth gameplay system. I remember that time when I first discovered, the hard way, that stat buffs and debuffs are absolutely devastating in this game, thanks to the turns limit -- a huge contrast to how they're typically near-useless in RPGs. The way the game works with movement quota (or whatever it was called) seems really punishing at first, but turns out to fit really well with the turns limit and the whole notion that the player has to strategize efficiently -- taking forever is not an option. (Though grinding still is, to some extent.)

I really wish this game would get remade, and for some more complex interface, like PC or something, which could more easily clarify how all the mechanics work.

It's somewhat of a shame that this game is so obscure.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #209497
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: