CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
What book(s) are you currently reading?

Posted: 10th October 2005 14:34

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I'm surprised that we haven't had a thread like this.

Sort of like the "what games are you playing?" thread, but with books. What are you reading right now, or plan to start in the near future?

I'm reading "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini. I'm near the end of it, and like it at the moment, but I found it had a slow, dull beginning. I didn't like the characters, there were a lot of cliches, etc. This is the first book of the trilogy, and I'm thinking of getting the next, called "Eldest."

For when I'm done with that, I have "Son of a Witch" by Gregory Maguire. This is the sequel to "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West", which is now also a popular musical. I couldn't put "Wicked" down, I hope SoaW is just as good.

--------------------
I had an old signature. Now I've changed it.
Post #99144
Posted: 10th October 2005 14:44
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
I just finished "Eldest" by Christopher Paolini, a whole bunch of Star Wars novels, and the first three Artemis Fowl books. I no longer own a single book that I haven't read. I think I'm going to start over with the Miles Vorkosigan books by Lois McMaster Bujold soon, or, possibly, reread "A Room with a View" by E.M. Forrester.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #99145
Posted: 10th October 2005 14:56

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I just finished Photo Art by Tory Worobiec and Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. I'm about to start on The Joy of Digital Photography by Jeff Wignall this week, and while I was home this past weekend I did a bit of rereading of Hitchhiker's just for the fun of it.

Elena, I'm planning on reading Wicked sometime soon myself. I might try to see the musical here in Chicago, too, because I'm guessing it'll be a bit cheaper than seeing it back home in NYC. But I bet not cheap enough. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 10th October 2005 14:57

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #99146
Posted: 10th October 2005 14:57

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I have just finished reading Thud! which is one of the best books I have read. It's Terry Pratchett's latest Discworld novel. I love Discworld, I finished this in a few days and I recommend everyone to try it. It has some great humour, important messages and as usual for Terry pratchett, the characters and stories are brilliant. smile.gif

I am currently reading The Winter King, which is also very good. This is written by Bernard Cornwell. It has characters such as Merlin and so forth but they are combined with historical accuracy making it all the more interesting. thumbup.gif

--------------------
'Let that be a lesson to all oppressive vegetable sellers.'
Post #99147
Posted: 10th October 2005 15:32

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Currently reading: Catcher in the Rye

This is for school and I absolutely HATE it. I don’t want to read a book about a guy bitchin about his problems to us.

--------------------
And don't drive your car off a cliff like I did. Girl, no man is worth 10 points on your license.
Post #99152
Posted: 10th October 2005 16:09

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Well, I really liked Catcher in the Rye, even if the book is admittedly just Holden Caulfield bitching. Any teenager with some amount of angst (which is all teenagers) can identify with at least one small part of it.

Right now I'm rereading A Storm of Swords for the first time, it's the third book in the excellent, excellent fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin, and I'm prepping for getting the fourth book that comes out pretty soon (if it already hasn't come out - I haven't been bookshopping in a long while so I'm not sure).

Next on the list is Shadow of the Giant by Orson Scott Card. I don't have it yet, but it's the fourth book in Bean's Shadow parallel to the Ender's Game series and I'll head over to Barnes and Noble sometime in the next few months to pick it up once I finish A Storm of Swords.

--------------------
Post #99154
Posted: 10th October 2005 16:10

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I'm reading book 4 of "The Wheel of Time" seris. It's a great seris, but it's loooong. I'm talking 15 books each one 1100+ pages.

--------------------
What if he shot you first instead of your secretary?

I suppose I'd have to catch the bullet, wouldn't I
Post #99155
Posted: 10th October 2005 16:25

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I happened to enjoy "Catcher" very much.

Currently, I am reading The Sound of the Mountain by Yasunari Kawabata. It's an excellent book and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good book

This post has been edited by Kane on 10th October 2005 16:25
Post #99158
Posted: 10th October 2005 16:29
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I'm prolly gonna start up on Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy again. Read 'em all in high school, and just got hold of the dvd and some events have me all mixed up. Figure it's time I got it all straightened out.

--------------------
Post #99159
Posted: 10th October 2005 16:52

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
Lasz- November. I can't wait either; it's been far too long since Storm of Swords came out.

Currently I'm bumming my way through Dante's "Divine Comedy," Machiavelli's
"The Prince," and Anthony Burgess' "Clockwork Orange." The proper version with 21 chapters.

This post has been edited by MogMaster on 10th October 2005 16:53

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #99164
Posted: 10th October 2005 16:53

Black Waltz

Awards:
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Third place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. Second place in the 2007 Name that Tune contest. Second place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
By that, I don't think you mean "re-reading" but I'll say it anyway.
Re-Reading Heir to the Empire and its sequels by Timothy Zahn, as well as Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (you have to read that twice tongue.gif ) and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
What I'm reading reading is Rakkety Tam by Brian Jacques-a Redwall book-and Dante's The Inferno. Nothing else I'm seriously reading.

--------------------
I fear my heart and fear my soul
Life goes on, it surely will,
Without me and I wonder:
Will I ever see light again?

Life goes on...
Post #99165
Posted: 10th October 2005 17:09

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
Clive Barker's Weaveworld. So far, I'm enthralled with it.

--------------------
Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them.

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #99166
Posted: 10th October 2005 17:35

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 10)
Well, I was reading "So Along And Thanks For All The Fish" last from my Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy.

In other books: "Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh"

--------------------
kame, tortue, tortuga, schildkröte, tartaruga, turtle

"Arthur Dent?"
"Yes."
"Arthur Philip Dent?"
"Yes."
"You're a total knee biter."
Post #99171
Posted: 10th October 2005 17:50

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
See More (Total 9)
I actually really enjoyed Catcher In The Rye when I read it in Highschool. So much so, that I stole a copy from the school library and re-read it an extra three or four times over the course of that year.

At the moment, I'm reading "The Crow: Wicked Games". It's part of some massive series of seperate stories involving people recieving the "Crow"'s powers for vengeance and justice. So far, I've been addicted to the series, I especially like it because there's no one author writing the stories, it's a huge collaberation for each book.

Once I'm done that, I'm probably going to see if the next in the series is out yet, if not, I'm not quite sure what I'll pick up, but I have a strong urge to re-read Chuck Palahniuk's "Survivor", a truly brilliant story.

--------------------
Okay, but there was a goat!
Post #99175
Posted: 10th October 2005 17:52

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Second place in CoNCAA, 2011. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. First place in CoNCAA, 2009. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. It's a book on philosophy. It's complicated and i keep on getting lost. I haven't really got into it recently though, just read a couple of pages every day.
Post #99176
Posted: 10th October 2005 19:54

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Just recently, I finished Fight Club and Survivor (Chuck Palahniuk), and Something Wicked this way Comes. ATM I'm reading anything with the Dragonlance symbol on it, as well as the first Dragonlance series by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (dragons of autumn twilight/winter night/spring dawning) (again, I've read it at least 6 times). If you can't tell, they are my favorite authors and its my favorite series

--------------------
Neneko is Neneko because Neneko couldn't be Neneko if Neneko wasn't Neneko!
--as quoted from Neneko, Mahoraba {Heartful Days}

I can stab a man with a thick paperback book thru the ribcage.
Post #99192
Posted: 10th October 2005 20:06

Onion Knight

Awards:
I'm near the ending of Swan Song by Robert McCammon, I gotta say it's one extremely good read. It has a kind of similar plot to Steven King's The Stand, but I figure he did a better job with it.

--------------------
Life is not a practice, always play to win.
I buried Ponce.
Post #99195
Posted: 10th October 2005 20:11

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2008. First place in CoNBA, 2006. Third place in CoNBA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
See More (Total 10)
Quote (Elena99 @ 10th October 2005 09:34)
. This is the sequel to "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West",

Coincidentally, that's the book I'm working on right now. I really like it so far, but have been so bogged down with teaching I haven't had much time for it. Hopefully I get back into it soon. I want to get tickets for the musical, but haven't had a chance yet.

--------------------
Hip-Hop QOTW:

"Yeah, where I'ma start it at, look I'ma part of that
Downtown Philly where it's realer than a heart attack
It wasn't really that ill until the start of crack
Now it's a body caught every night on the Almanac"

"Game Theory"
The Roots
Post #99198
Posted: 10th October 2005 20:20

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I am currently reading "Hidden Evidence:Forty true crimes and how forensic science help solve them".It is interesting to learn about forensic science,it even has the O.J. case in a more detailed form.Although it is quite short for forty crimes in a single book (240 pages),nevertheless,it is still a very good book happy.gif .

It may not be a book but I am also reading Garfield comics,the Fat Cat 3-Packs(Sixth,Seventh,and Ninth).I used to read "The Farside Gallery" but unfortunately I lost it sad.gif .

--------------------
"...But we will succeed. We pride ourselves in making the impossible possible."
Post #99201
Posted: 10th October 2005 22:41

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Submitted an idea for a podcast that was later recorded by the CoNcast team. Member of more than five years. 
I'm glad someone finally started this thread. I was thinking of doing it for awhile but never got around to actually doing it. smile.gif

I like to be reading fiction and non-fiction at the same time, just so I can diversify. Right now, for non-fiction, I'm reading "The Hero With a Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell. For all you Star Wars fans out there, it's the book that inspired Lucas. It tries to explain the similarities in different mythologies and religions throughout history by linking them to desires of the human unconscious present in all human eras.

For fiction I'm reading "El Tunel" by Ernesto Sabato, an existentialist Argentine book. Really, it's because I'm out of practice with my Spanish, but the book is not that bad.
Post #99214
Posted: 10th October 2005 22:45

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoNCAA, 2011. Third place in CoN World Cup, 2010. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2005. 
gosh, im reading so many books for school right now, its not even funny.....being a history major and all lol

"The Pity of It All" Amos Elon
"The Peasant War" Freidrich Engels
"The Alexiad" Anna Comnena
"Luther" Frederick Nohl
"Fourteen Byzantine Rulers" Michael Psellus

and the one i am actually reading for pleasure, "The Historian" Elizabeth Kostova

--------------------

"The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."
- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince
Post #99215
Posted: 11th October 2005 03:07
Onion Knight

Awards:
I am currently reading Beside the river Piedra I sat down and wept. I am almost done with it and next up I am planning to buy Angels and Demons.

--------------------
Post #99290
Posted: 11th October 2005 03:11

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
The last book I read was "The Da Vinci Code". Interesting read to say the least. I would still reccomend it despite its obvious half-truths and misinformation.

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #99294
Posted: 11th October 2005 14:46

Group Icon
Beware of Magical Typos

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2016. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2003. 
First place in CoNCAA, 2006. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2006. 
See More (Total 12)
One of the things that I dislike about college is that it leaves me little time for reading for pleasure. However, when I can sneak in a few minutes, I'm reading Aristotle Detective by Margaret Doody.

Here's the snopsis:

Athens, 332BC - an unhappy city under the rule of the Macedonian 'barbarian' Alexander the Great. In the midst of this unrest, Boutades, an eminent citizen, is found brutally murdered. Suspicion falls heavily on young Philemon, and, by Athenian law, his cousin Stephanos is elected to defend his name in court. In desperation, Stephanos seeks assistance from Aristotle, his former mentor - and Aristotle turns Detective. The young, inexperienced boy and the great philosopher form a classically uneven partnership. Their efforts culminate in the gripping trial scene when Stephanos uses all the powers of rhetoric and oratory instilled in him by Aristotle to clear his family's name of this bloody murder...

This post has been edited by SSJ_Cloud on 11th October 2005 14:46

--------------------
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Post #99355
Posted: 12th October 2005 00:29

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I'm reading anything with the Dragonlance symbol on it, as well as the first Dragonlance series by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (dragons of autumn twilight/winter night/spring dawning) (again, I've read it at least 6 times). If you can't tell, they are my favorite authors and its my favorite series

I prefer the Forgotten Realms. Although Dragonlance has its merits, it can't beat Forgotten Realms for divesity of stories.

--------------------
What if he shot you first instead of your secretary?

I suppose I'd have to catch the bullet, wouldn't I
Post #99407
Posted: 12th October 2005 20:56

Returner

Awards:
I'm currently reading The Plague by Albert Camus on my own time, and reading a bunch of assorted poetry for my American Lit. course. My professor seems to have a thing for Theodore Roethke.

oh, and i haven't posted here in like 3 years. sup doods? thumbup.gif

--------------------
No deer for a month.
Post #99508
Posted: 12th October 2005 21:19

Cactuar

Awards:
i am reading the lost tales of merlin; the seven songs of merlin book two of a seiries of three. i recomend reading this series.

--------------------
A hero is somone who steps up when everyone else backs down.

Your greatest adversary hides inside your mirror.
Post #99512
Posted: 15th October 2005 07:03

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Quote (master_tonberry @ 11th October 2005 19:29)
I prefer the Forgotten Realms. Although Dragonlance has its merits, it can't beat Forgotten Realms for divesity of stories.

Hrm... I dunno about that, but then again we (me+family) don't even have half of the whole series of either one... I guess I make that judgement based on the fact I've read more Dragonlance than Forgotten Realms. (not being a dictator! don't hurt me!)
Though, I do believe that Drizz't Do'Urden (correct my spelling, haven't read it in awhile) is the best character between the two series. (total bad***)

--------------------
Neneko is Neneko because Neneko couldn't be Neneko if Neneko wasn't Neneko!
--as quoted from Neneko, Mahoraba {Heartful Days}

I can stab a man with a thick paperback book thru the ribcage.
Post #99790
Posted: 15th October 2005 16:01

Returner

Awards:
Currently reading:

J.R.R. Tolkein's the Silmarillion
WarCraft: War of the Ancients Book One
Journey to the Center of the Earth

--------------------
I forgot what my Sig was going to be...

Possibly something involving Pie...

Hm...
Post #99807
Posted: 15th October 2005 23:44

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Submitted an idea for a podcast that was later recorded by the CoNcast team. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (strikerbolt @ 15th October 2005 03:03)
Hrm... I dunno about that, but then again we (me+family) don't even have half of the whole series of either one...  I guess I make that judgement based on the fact I've read more Dragonlance

I'll second that opinion. I loved Dragonlance growing up, especially the Weis & Hickman novels and Richard A. Knaak's "Legend of Huma." Dragonlance is a great series, especially for someone in their early-mid teens. I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in fantasy (final or otherwise wink.gif).

Laszlow, how good is George R.R. Martin? I was hoping to jumpstart my old love of fantasy novels, and picked up his "Fevre Dream." I might make that the next fiction book I read, based on what you've said about A Song of Ice and Fire.
Post #99851
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: