CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Final Fantasy XI Beta Applications Open

Posted: 13th April 2003 14:44

Group Icon
Beware of Magical Typos

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2016. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2003. 
First place in CoNCAA, 2006. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2006. 
See More (Total 12)
To almost coincide with the opening of their North American website, Square Enix has opened up a public online application for those who are interested in beta testing Final Fantasy XI,  their upcoming (already released in Japan) online RPG.

There are applications for both the Playstation 2 and the PC versions of the game. Listed below are the requirements for each that one has to meet if he or she is even going to apply:

For the PS2 version
-PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system (duh)
-Network Adaptor (for PlayStation 2)
-Internet connection (56k or greater)

For the PC version
Pentium® III 800Mhz
-Windows® 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP
-DirectX® 8.1 (included)
-32MB Direct3D compatible AGP video card
-128MB RAM
-CD-ROM drive
-5GB of free hard drive space

You also have to be older than thirteen years of age and be a resident of either the United States or Canada.  Keep in mind that most people will not be selected.  There are no numbers on the amount that Square Enix even plans to chose

Source: Square Enix
/~~~~~~/

I put in an application to beta test the PC version.  I probably won't get chosen, but it will be interesting to see how many beta testers they do actually select.  The application for the PC version was easy enough (it only took about 5 minutes) so I assume the application for the PS2 version would be more simple than that.  It would be neat if someone from the CoN was selected to beta test either version.

The only negative part of applying (that I can see) is that I'm probably going to get a bit more spam E-mail because of it (The privacy policy is lacking.  They even say they will probably give out your E-mail address).  That isn't entirely too bad though because I used a yahoo E-mail address when filling out the application.  Also, since it is restricted to US and Canada residents, some of you forum members are not going to be even able to apply.

--------------------
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Post #10977
Posted: 13th April 2003 16:20

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
5 GB of hard drive space for the PC version? Dear god! Aside from that, looks like it's not too bad of a system hog... I can't run it on either of my PCs, but then, I never had any interest in doing so anyway.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #10989
Posted: 14th April 2003 09:14
Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I just applyed I hope I get in.  I got in for the diablo 2 beta and the d2 exp beta maybe my luck will hold...

--------------------
We all have our own hells and fires we must pass through, but when you have passed through them, you must ask yourself.  Was I consumed by the flame? Or was I tempered by it?

Quitsis - "Whip, Chaingun, don't bug me I'm killing"
Post #11028
Posted: 14th April 2003 11:53

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I know three staffers here have applied already, I think all for the PC. I think Squenix is going to find that the PC desire will far outstrip that of the console demand. MMORPG just has a stigma to it when viewed from the console perspective.

Edit
Three staffers, not two, sorry.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #11031
Posted: 14th April 2003 13:13

Group Icon
Wavey Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Third place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoN European Cup, 2008. 
Winner of the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
anything mentioned about UK testing at all? and if not, im sure i can rely on this site to tell me when there is , right?

annoyingly, the only things stopping me from applying are the fact im scottish,and the fact my internet connections only a dial-up.

--------------------
"Only the dead have seen the end of their quotes being misattributed to Plato."
-George Santayana

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here..."
-Abraham Lincoln, prior to the discovery of Irony.
Post #11035
Posted: 14th April 2003 14:15

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Del S @ 14 Apr 2003, 08:13)
anything mentioned about UK testing at all? and if not, im sure i can rely on this site to tell me when there is , right?

annoyingly, the only things stopping me from applying are the fact im scottish,and the fact my internet connections only a dial-up.

We'll try to tell you if and when we find out. I wouldn't anticipate any european testing until there are european servers up, if they even intend to launch european servers.

And, for the record, a dialup connection is acceptable if it is 56k.

--------------------

Post #11038
Posted: 17th April 2003 22:26
Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I applied for the console version. I just wouldn't feel the same playing an FF on a PC, online or not. Besides I'd rather have the Prepackaged, top'o'the line PS2 system than my not so top'o'the line, average PC.
Post #11185
Posted: 18th April 2003 00:18

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Quote (UltmateRPGer1988 @ 17 Apr 2003, 15:26)
I applied for the console version. I just wouldn't feel the same playing an FF on a PC, online or not. Besides I'd rather have the Prepackaged, top'o'the line PS2 system than my not so top'o'the line, average PC.

I was thinking the same thing, myself, but I don't have the money to spend on all the things you'd need to buy for your PS2 to do so.  I know I'll probably buy it eventually since the console will inevitably go more and more towards the online world, but right now I'm more interested in keeping the internet on the computer.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #11198
Posted: 23rd April 2003 04:50

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Quote (Super Saiya-jin Cloud @ 13 Apr 2003, 08:44)
For the PS2 version
Pentium® III 800Mhz
-Windows® 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP
-DirectX® 8.1 (included)
-32MB Direct3D compatible AGP video card
-128MB RAM
-CD-ROM drive
-5GB of free hard drive space

you mean pc right, i was confused when it said ps2 had windows

--------------------
This one time I punched a bear in the forehead TO DEATH! I still have the scars on my chest. I am the manliest man that ever did man.

League: Z3roHawk
Steam: Zero_Hawk
Wii U: Zero_Hawk
FF14 - Goblin - Zero Hawk <Fiend>
Post #11413
Posted: 23rd April 2003 19:59

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I applied. I bet I won't get it. My only reasons I put for why I should get it were that I have been a fan of the FF series since the beginning and because I pay very good attention to detail and I am a fair and positive player that likes to keep the MMORPG atmosphere fun. They won't pick me.

--------------------
Elena Indurain

Currently Playing: Suikoden II
Post #11443
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: