CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic New Poll
R1: #7 Main Theme (FF15) v. #10 The Landing (FF8)

Which song is your favorite?
Main Theme (FF15) [ 8 ]  [57.14%]
The Landing (FF8) [ 6 ]  [42.86%]
Total Votes: 14

Posted: 6th November 2017 17:46

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Another new entry from the newest game in the series, Main Theme from Final Fantasy XV took a #7 seed. It is, as described, the Main Theme of Final Fantasy, sometimes known as the Crystal Theme. This arrangement ups the ante significantly, with chimes and a deep string section leading into a piano melody and a huge crescendo of horns. Like the game or not, this track makes a strong argument for being the definitive version of the theme.

The Landing ushered in a new feel to Final Fantasy when it debuted with the earliest promotions of Final Fantasy VIII over twenty years ago. Backed by an obvious heartbeat metaphor, The Landing set the tone for the game that was coming: many futuristic militaristic overtones but with a theme more focused upon two people opening up to each other amid the chaos of battle. That said, it had a tricky matchup in 2010 and was absolutely crushed by Celes' Theme in a round 1 upset.
Post #213613
Posted: 6th November 2017 17:47

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Listen Here!
Main Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFLfrRfIc5A
The Landing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvhuIY8HcgE

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #213614
Posted: 10th November 2017 00:58

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. 
That new rendition of the Main Theme is just TOO GOOD.

--------------------
Games on the Go
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy: Four Warriors of Light
Baldur's Gate

Too much to play, so little time!

Greg
Post #213703
Posted: 10th November 2017 18:32

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Having no prior attachment to either of these tracks, I gotta say both are good. (I will admit that the "main theme" of the series is something I haven't really ever fallen in love with, even though it's certainly nice.)

I wanna say FFXV's version of the Main Theme has better instrumentation but that's not really fair due to the PS1's instrumental limitations, as FFVIII didn't use streamed music.

FFVIII's bass line rhythm moves a bit awkwardly at first, but it's really no worse than a number of other Uematsu tracks and it evolves into a distinctive rhythmic motif that permeates the entire high-tension track.

While FFXV's version of the Main Theme is certainly impressive and glorious I think I'm going to go with "The Landing" in this case, now that I've had an entire night to ponder it.

Edit: How I know I like "The Landing": I've already voted, but it's not done playing yet and so I'm stopping to let it finish playing.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 10th November 2017 18:33

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #213736
Posted: 11th November 2017 03:35

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
I love the Final Fantasy VIII soundtrack, but I have to go with XV's Main Theme. It's a lovely rendition of it, plus the Main Theme is one of my favorite songs from the franchise so I have to vote for it.

Incidentally, my favorite versions of the main theme are the version from Final Fantasy Brave Exvius (love the background vocals!) and Final Fantasy V.

--------------------
Watch me play games on Twitch!
Schedule:
Mondays & Thursdays: Final Fantasy VII -Rebirth-
Saturdays: Final Fantasy XIV Side Quests (or maybe more Rebirth, we'll see!)
7:30pm - 10:30pm Central or thereabouts
Post #213748
Posted: 12th November 2017 00:01

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
It saddens me that one of favourite tracks is up against such a strong main theme. sad.gif
Post #213786
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic New Poll