CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Site Moved

Posted: 4th November 2003 14:43

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
If you can see this post, congratulations! Your ISP has been clever enough to sort out its DNS records and point you to our new home on FuitadNET hosting.

We're now primarily using the cavesofnarshe.com URL rather than the OPGaming.com subdomain we used previously. We'd like to thank Rubicant and OPGaming for their gracious offer of hosting, which we have used largely without incident since early 2002, and HostRocket, who host that domain.

This post has been edited by Tiddles on 4th November 2003 15:59
Post #20230
Posted: 4th November 2003 17:41

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
sad.gif
Post #20236
Posted: 4th November 2003 18:03

Group Icon
Wavey Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Third place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoN European Cup, 2008. 
Winner of the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
Well, there doesnt seem to eb any bugs or erros, so i guess its a job well done, and an eaiser to rember URL. congrats. oh yes, and yay BT...

But i have to say : Poor Rubicant!
eh.gif

--------------------
"Only the dead have seen the end of their quotes being misattributed to Plato."
-George Santayana

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here..."
-Abraham Lincoln, prior to the discovery of Irony.
Post #20238
Posted: 4th November 2003 18:22

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Let's not feel too bad for Rubes. He's coming over to our server soon anyway. happy.gif

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #20240
Posted: 4th November 2003 18:58

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Congrats on the succesful move! thumbup.gif Though it confused me to no end when I glanced up when I got online and it was at www.cavesofnarshe.com instead of www.cavesofnarshe.com that last one is like a reflex for me now...guess I'll just have to change my homepage. Anyway, on to my question: Why did you decide to switch over? bandwidth thing or what?

This post has been edited by Spoony Bard on 4th November 2003 18:59
Post #20243
Posted: 4th November 2003 19:28

Group Icon

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
We wanted our proper URL back.
Post #20245
Posted: 4th November 2003 19:32

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
We wanted our proper URL back.

did the site used to be at cavesofnarshe.com and then switched to con.opgaming later for some reason?

--------------------
Shhhh! I'm trying to hear the voices!
Post #20248
Posted: 4th November 2003 20:17

Group Icon
Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
That's what I'm guessing since Tiddles said they wanted it "back". happy.gif

This post has been edited by Hanyou on 4th November 2003 20:21

--------------------
"My impersonation of an ordinary person was flawless." - Neal

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss
Post #20250
Posted: 4th November 2003 20:49

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
There are a lot of reasons that we decided to move, none of which were being tired of OPGaming's generosity. The site would have long been dead if not for Rubes, and as such we forever owe him our gratitude (but not much else. tongue.gif)

Yes, Cavesofnarshe.com is the real URL to the site. We've owned it since late 2000. In fact, that URL has always worked since the start of CoN4 onward - even until yesterday, you could enter that address into your browser and end up at the site. It was a limitation of the OPGaming server package that we could not use the true domain name during our stay there, and being able to use that domain again was our prime motivation for moving.

If you want to know more about the previous moves, read the CoNHistory article.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #20251
Posted: 4th November 2003 23:06

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Cheers and such.
Post #20263
Posted: 5th November 2003 08:27
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Tiddles @ 4th November 2003 07:43)
If you can see this post, congratulations! Your ISP has been clever enough to sort out its DNS records and point you to our new home on FuitadNET hosting.

Okay, but will my ISP stay clever forever or will I hafta edit my favorites list after a certain amount of time? Basically what I'm asking is how long will it keep redirecting if it ever stops. Figure it'd be important to get that lil detail outta the way right now. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Post #20290
Posted: 5th November 2003 10:08

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
Quote (Narratorway @ 5th November 2003 03:27)
Okay, but will my ISP stay clever forever or will I hafta edit my favorites list after a certain amount of time? Basically what I'm asking is how long will it keep redirecting if it ever stops. Figure it'd be important to get that lil detail outta the way right now. biggrin.gif

They've always had www.cavesofnarshe.com automatically redirect you to www.cavesofnarshe.com
So I guess if anything happens, and they have to switch to another host who won't let them have the current URL, they'll have it redirect us to the new one.

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #20294
Posted: 5th November 2003 10:17

Group Icon

Awards:
See More (Total 12)
You should update any bookmarks that use www.cavesofnarshe.com, yes. We'll try and keep it redirecting as much as possible, but there are no guarantees that we'll always be able to.

On the other hand, we should always be able to have www.cavesofnarshe.com redirect to wherever we are, so it's better to keep that URL in bookmarks.
Post #20296
Posted: 5th November 2003 17:59

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
We're leaving the OPGaming.com HostRocket server up for a little while and using it to redirect to the new addresses at cavesofnarshe.com, so you can all slowly drift to the new URL without much trouble.

But, just to help us help you, update bookmarks ASAP. biggrin.gif
Post #20338
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: