CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Are the best Squenix games coming out on handhelds

Posted: 20th September 2013 22:37

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Submitted an idea for a podcast that was later recorded by the CoNcast team. Member of more than five years. 
The last FF game that came out for a console that I wanted to play (but still haven't had the chance) was FF12. I had no interest in playing FF13 after seeing videos of the hours of "long corridor" that had to be played, and likewise stayed away from FF14 after I read the horrible reviews.

To me, it seems like the best Squenix games in recent years have been coming out on handhelds. The Advance remakes, the DS remakes (which are now available on mobile and provided me the first opportunity to play some of these games) , FFIV After Years and Complete Collection, the FF7 Crisis games, as well as the Dissidia series (which I am dying to play!).

While I can't justify buying a handheld console for these games alone, it seems to me that these have been the best Squenix releases. I'm basing this mostly on what I've seen and heard though. However, I did recently download the DS version of FFIV for my Android phone and LOVE IT! Great remake of a classic game and I'm glad I'm getting to experience one of my favorite games anew.
Post #204523
Posted: 20th September 2013 23:59

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I guess I would disagree that the best Square Enix games have been on handhelds because I like 13, and the re-release of 14 is freakin' amazing. I didn't particularly enjoy any of the handheld games that you mentioned myself.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, Attack of the Firday Monsters, Animal Crossing: A New Leaf, Lego City Undercover, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix

Recently Finished: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Favorite Game: Suikoden III
Post #204524
Posted: 21st September 2013 06:51

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
I heard from another forum(ff shrine forum) that amazing jrpgs are being made on handhelds, because the costs are lower and with lower costs, you can take bigger risks.I don't know how true this is, but sounds interesting.I for one don't care about graphics, but i really don't want to play handheld to play the best rpgs.I would rather have it on a big screen then try and get comfortable on my back.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #204534
Posted: 22nd September 2013 04:49

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Do Nintendo or Sony have any plans to make their current handheld systems (DS, 3DS, PSP, PSV) somehow compatible with their consoles? The way you could play GB/GBC/GBA games on SNES and GameCube.

Alternatively, you can always wait several years and then emulate the game, and plug your screen size of choice into your computer...

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #204548
Posted: 22nd September 2013 09:18

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
I heard about that glen magus harvey.

I heard the psp vita was supposed to be able to connect to the tv and the ps4.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #204552
Posted: 22nd September 2013 09:27

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
the 3DS has very limited connectivity with the Wii U, but a number of Wii U games have remote play with its small-screen controller.

The PSP has a cable that can connect to an S-video out that allows you to play on a big screen, but there is little connectivity between the PSP and PS3.

The PS Vita however, has all kinds of crazy options. Several PSV games are remote-playable with the PS3, PS4, or both - you can switch between console and handheld using the same save file. In addition, the Vita TV device will allow gamers to play a large number of PS Vita and PSN downloadable games on a big screen at 720p and 1080i, using an HDMI cable. We talked about the Vita TV for a bit on the most recent podcast episode.

--------------------
Post #204553
Posted: 23rd September 2013 02:18

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Nintendo really needs to make a handheld device that will allow connectivity with the WiiU -- not just as a controller but as a way to make the game portable.

So you can have a game that plays one way by yourself but another way when you and your friends gather at a home console owned by one of them.

I wonder if this might be useful for developing an MMO. Unfortunately, XI and XIV are already things...what sorts of non-MMO ideas can we do with this, though?

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #204570
Posted: 23rd September 2013 08:49

Crusader

Awards:
I want a 3ds just so i can play ff5 and 6.I don't know about you guys, but i definitely want one.I really hope its a good handheld.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #204571
Posted: 23rd September 2013 22:52

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
They're coming out on handhelds and smartphones. FFIII and IV are on iPhone and Droid. I think FFV is on iPhone only but hopefully Droid too
Post #204583
Posted: 24th September 2013 02:56

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I haven't heard that FFV and FFVI are coming to 3DS......

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, Attack of the Firday Monsters, Animal Crossing: A New Leaf, Lego City Undercover, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix

Recently Finished: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Favorite Game: Suikoden III
Post #204585
Posted: 24th September 2013 23:55

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Submitted an idea for a podcast that was later recorded by the CoNcast team. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Electricbassguy @ 23rd September 2013 14:52)
They're coming out on handhelds and smartphones. FFIII and IV are on iPhone and Droid. I think FFV is on iPhone only but hopefully Droid too

FF5 is coming out for Android OS in a couple of days. I don't believe it has been released for DS, and that this is basically a mobile phone re-release.

Josh also said that they are releasing The After Years for mobile, which is great. I'm so excited to finally get to play these games!

I have a technical question. DS is touch screen right? Does that make it a more easy port to mobile touch screen? The reason I ask is because the non-touchscreen ports to mobile (like Chrono Trigger) are getting terrible reviews for compatibility issues, so much so that Google even has an update warning and apology about it under the description.
Post #204607
Posted: 25th September 2013 08:43

Crusader

Awards:
But there was mention of ff5 and 6 coming out for 3ds.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #204611
Posted: 25th September 2013 16:26

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
The World Ends With You is a really good square game on the DS

--------------------
So Zetta Slow!
Post #204616
Posted: 25th September 2013 17:51

Crusader

Awards:
I'm playing a squeenix handheld and i'm liking it a lot.It is lufia curse of the sinistrals.

Never knew it existed, but i'm really enjoying it.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #204619
Posted: 7th October 2013 17:31

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 25th September 2013 04:43)
But there was mention of ff5 and 6 coming out for 3ds.

There have been lots of mentions of it, but none of them ever really came to fruition.

And, of course, since I have a post open: we used this thread as the basis for CoNcast episode 14! If you don't listen to the CoNcast but liked this topic, perhaps check it out. http://narshe.me/1hwZb7C

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #204906
Posted: 7th October 2013 17:46

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Quote (Rangers51 @ 7th October 2013 09:31)
And, of course, since I have a post open: we used this thread as the basis for CoNcast episode 14! If you don't listen to the CoNcast but liked this topic, perhaps check it out. http://narshe.me/1hwZb7C

Aw, I feel so inspiring! Thanks for the shout out, Josh. And of course, now I'll have to listen to it, which I suspect was your plan all along. wink.gif
Post #204908
Posted: 10th November 2013 22:35

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Having played through the DS version of FF4, and now gotten some way into FF3, I have to say that THIS is the way Final Fantasy games should be remade! They feel like completely new games, but keep enough of the old games to maintain the nostalgia factor. I also love the 3D graphics. It feels much newer than the updated sprite remakes, or add a few dungeon remakes, that I've seen for other Final Fantasy games.

A shame they're not making more of these! FF6 could really use a remake like this, but it sounds like the remake will be more akin to the FF5 mobile remake (whose graphics did not particularly impress me).
Post #205477
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: