CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Happy Birthday, CoN!

Posted: 31st July 2003 12:31

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
That's right, the site is having another birthday today. This marks the end of the first year of CoN5, and the sixth year of Caves of Narshe as a whole. To learn more, you'll want to read the CoNHistory feature article that was published several months ago.

You may not know this, but this birthday shows yet again that CoN is one of the oldest Final Fantasy sites still in existance. For instance, our affiliate Final Fantasy Gurus started life in mid 1998 as an FF8 site. Eyes on Final Fantasy started in 1999. Even FFOnline started, that's right, three months AFTER CoN came into being.

It's been a long time running this site for me. Cliched as it may sound, there really have been a lot of ups and a lot of downs. Recently, though, it has been almost all up, and I'm not just talking about the site stats, or the chat stats (even though the month concluding today was our biggest month ever for both).

I started this site as a lark, with no goals or plan in mind. If you've seen CoN2, then you know that not having a plan is not really a good thing. To be quite honest, though, I still don't have many specific plans for this site, which I am sure vexes Tiddles to no end. While the following is not a real chat, I'm sure it's not far from the truth:
<R51> Tiddles, let's make the site bigger and better today.
<Tiddles> Okay, but we did that YESTERDAY. What are we going to do differently today?
<R51> Maybe you weren't listening. I said BIGGER and BETTER. Now let's get to work.

I'm rambling now, as I am wont to do. Sorry about that. Let's wrap it up now. I want to say thanks to the staff, most of whom have been with me as teammates for two and a half years now, and as friends for much longer. I intend specifically thank each and every one of you, especially my fellow admins - you have touched my life all in your own special ways, and I'll not forget that. I'd also like to thank the forum and chat membership as a whole for your support and enthusiasm, and a few of you in particular for contributing to the site and its community, like Tommah, Narratorway, Sabin, Murrrr, Phoenix, and many others.

I'm still working on plans to celebrate. Knowing me, we'll celebrate in about a month. >_<

Oh, and I'm retiring effective midnight Central tonight.  (Not really, for those too lazy to read the whole topic.)

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #15202
Posted: 31st July 2003 12:59

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Happy birthday CoN!
Since I'm the first here, I'd like to thank you, R51. You didn't mention yourself out of modesty, but you're to be thanked of course.
It's a coincidence, but the sixth year anniversary of CoN may collide with the subscription of the 400th member : whoever gets this number, come here to thank everyone that came before you, as I do now. This place is great.
To all, thank you : I came here not much time ago, but I already feel that I'm here since years ago...I promise to stay for as long as I can.
This came out much more sentimental than I inteded in the first place, but it's how it is, so I let it that way...
Happy birthday one more time.
Post #15203
Posted: 31st July 2003 13:39

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
I can't believe CoN is six years old already.  I've only been familiar with the CoN since CoN3 (as a guest), but I've seen this site go through a lot of changes and refinements, to make this still among the best and highest quality site, from being one of the strongest sources of information about games, to a unique and active community truly dedicated to the site.

Congratulations to all the staff for their time and efforts, and for the members for helping make this site what it is thus far.
Post #15204
Posted: 31st July 2003 14:14

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
Quote (Rangers51 @ 31 Jul 2003, 13:31)
Oh, and I'm retiring effective midnight Central tonight.

Of course, I will be taking over after the chief's retirement.  Unless you think you can step up to me.  "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough", as they say in darkest Bradford.
Post #15205
Posted: 31st July 2003 14:48

Group Icon
Beware of Magical Typos

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2016. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2003. 
First place in CoNCAA, 2006. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2006. 
See More (Total 12)
Quote (Rangers51 @ 31 Jul 2003, 07:31)

I've never been good at holding a secret, so I thought you all might like to know who would be taking over your most precious Caves of Narshe.  That right, Tiddles.  The Cat.  This is the saddest birthday ever in the the CoN's history and not just because of Josh's retirement.  

He's British for Heaven's sake.  So I propose this:  Like our forefather's did in a certain July in 1776, let us rise against our British leader, my fellow American staff members.  It won't be easy and Elena most likely side with Tiddles because of that silly  Canadian link that still exists with Britain.  But, friends, the things worth fighting for never come easy.

I may have the least amount of post amoung staff members, and might not always do my job (just look at how neglected the News forum is), but I care.  I care and I know that you all care to.  So let us rise.  Let us rise and throw off the shackles of Tiddles' future tyranny.

Edit
Well, it looks like Tiddles has already beaten me to the announcement, but that's the last time I'll be defeated by him.

--------------------
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Post #15206
Posted: 31st July 2003 15:18

Dragoon

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Quote (Rangers51 @ 31 Jul 2003, 07:31)

This is really a sad day. :(  The founding father of CoN is going away...I know you have your reasons (namely Real Life), but it saddens me nonetheless. ._.

And on top of that, I'm late to reply. >_<  Darned school...anyway, enough with the negativeness, let's throw a party!

* Busts out the party whistles, hats, and confetti.

* Reminds self to stay away from Cloud's Revolution to avoid Tiddles' wrath. >_>

--------------------
~Status Report~

* Completed... Dragon's Head
* Completed... Soldiers of the Empire: Disciples (release pending)
* In Progress/Undecided... Of Love and Betrayal
* Planning/Assembly... Where it all Began
Post #15209
Posted: 31st July 2003 16:09
Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I've only started coming to the site about three weeks ago, but Happy Birthday CoN!
Post #15211
Posted: 31st July 2003 16:14

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
Boo for retirements.
Post #15212
Posted: 31st July 2003 16:57

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
I don't accept this retirement, and expect that you will be BACK at your post on Friday morning, soldier!

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #15215
Posted: 31st July 2003 17:31

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Heh heh... six years old already. Man, I remember when CoN was first around, and some comment to the effect of "yeah, they aren't really caves of narshe, rather mines, but it caves sounds better." It was the best site I could find on FF6 info while FF7 sites were sprouting up like weeds, and it still is.  ^_^

:blah: But... R51... why... you can't... it's not the same...  :(

Oh well... I damn wish I could have made a site like this. Congratulations for doing such a good job for so long!
Post #15218
Posted: 31st July 2003 19:01

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
Pfft, he ain't goin' anywhere, you'll see. See you next week, Josh. :p
Post #15226
Posted: 31st July 2003 19:12

Group Icon
Wavey Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Third place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoN European Cup, 2008. 
Winner of the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
Quote (Super Saiya-jin Cloud @ 31 Jul 2003, 09:48)
He's British for Heaven's sake.  So I propose this:  Like our forefather's did in a certain July in 1776, let us rise against our British leader, my fellow American staff members.  It won't be easy and Elena most likely side with Tiddles because of that silly  Canadian link that still exists with Britain.  But, friends, the things worth fighting for never come easy.

and since eventually the staffers must enlist the member sof the forum, when it comes to me,i could fight for either side since im scottish.. Hmm, Redcoats of Tiddles or the Colonial Rebels of George Washington*Super Saiya-Jin Cloud?

note- if Tiddles says the scots are revolting pass the american flag..:lol:

back to topic, well, this sites been here six years.Ive been registered on it for six months. but even i think it wont be the same with someone different in charge..

for a start, tiddles might start forcing the american members to call Trash Can 'Bins'...
or force you to say 'Mum', not 'Mom'...
j/k..hopefully!

*dont mind me if i got it wrong. they dont teach US history in Scottish schools, unsurprsingly..

Edit- three times to go back and check how to spell it and i still get 'Saiya' wrong... it seems they dont teach SPELLING in scottish schools either!

--------------------
"Only the dead have seen the end of their quotes being misattributed to Plato."
-George Santayana

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here..."
-Abraham Lincoln, prior to the discovery of Irony.
Post #15228
Posted: 31st July 2003 19:15

Crusader

Awards:
Congrats CoN! Good luck R51, though I know you're gonna still post here. And you better!

--------------------
Lou: There's a couple of guys fighting down at the aquarium, Chief.
Wiggum: Do they still sell those frozen bananas?
Lou: I think so.
Wiggum: Let's roll.
Post #15229
Posted: 31st July 2003 19:34

Crusader

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Second place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoNCAA, 2008. Third place in CoNCAA, 2009. First place in CoNBA, 2007. 
Another great year for CoN!  Granted, I've posted the least I ever have in the last few months, but it's been great anyway.  And another one is on its way!

And a sad goodbye to our favorite webmaster, Josh.  It's been wonderful and good luck in whatever you go on to do.  Thanks for all the fun and memories here.  It won't be the same without you.  But you'll still be around I'm sure.

--------------------
I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Post #15231
Posted: 31st July 2003 19:35

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
Wow, can't say I saw a retirement coming. Well Tiddles, I'm pledging my support under your banner.

Just call me Arnold, Benedict Arnold.

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #15232
Posted: 31st July 2003 19:38

Group Icon
Beware of Magical Typos

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2016. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2003. 
First place in CoNCAA, 2006. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2006. 
See More (Total 12)
Quote (Tidu-who @ 31 Jul 2003, 14:35)
Wow, can't say I saw a retirement coming. Well Tiddles, I'm pledging my support under your banner.

Just call me Arnold, Benedict Arnold.

::Adds Tidu-Who to the list.::

--------------------
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Post #15234
Posted: 31st July 2003 20:18
Onion Knight

Awards:
Happy Birthday CoN!!! :E  Ohh and if there is a revelotion then whos team am i on hmm..................ok im voteing super-sajin Cloud. :nods:

--------------------
No one under stands me i just want to help:(
Post #15235
Posted: 31st July 2003 20:31

Group Icon

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
Big mistake, punk.  Huge mistake.
Post #15237
Posted: 31st July 2003 20:36

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Happy birthday

--------------------
PARENTAL ADVISORY:The text in this signature may offend some people read at your own risk.
Post #15239
Posted: 31st July 2003 20:55
Onion Knight

Awards:
Hey are tiddles and neal the same people??? :rolleyes:

--------------------
Post #15241
Posted: 31st July 2003 20:58
Onion Knight

Awards:
im going to make a poll about this whole revalation thing k.So come and vote.Who will be the leader. :o

--------------------
Post #15242
Posted: 31st July 2003 21:02

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than thirty fanarts in CoN galleries. 
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
OMG...
>.>
Joshy, save us all.. *LOL*
Anything ruled by Ry will just be scary. But anything ruled by Tiggles would be ...well... British. If we cast votes, I vote for Il Palazzo. Hail Il Palazzo! Even though he isn't that smart... something something... I don't know. Joshy-pooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... ;-;

P.S. Ry, way to botch the pretty icon I made for you. You goober.

Oooh... wait a second.. if Ryan was president, I'd be the First Girlfriend. Does that mean I get a crown too?

--------------------
..DDR..Maine..
..Hikaroo-chan no Deviantart..

<Tiddles> And I love how people suggest "Why not call it my great name?????" when their name is clearly the worst thing ever.
<Tiddles> "How about ; Mozilla Xplorer & Mozilla Xpress."
<Tiddles> How about you die in a fire?
Post #15243
Posted: 31st July 2003 21:14

Crusader

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2013. First place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
mad w00t for CoN! There hasn't been an independent site I've seen online that has lasted for 6 years. It's awesome. BTW, for the celebration... can we have CAKE?! because i <3 cake ^_^

--------------------
"When I turn the page
The corner bends into the perfect dog ear
As if the words knew I'd need them again
But at the time, I didn't see it."

~"This Ain't a Surfin' Movie" - Minus the Bear
Post #15244
Posted: 31st July 2003 21:20

Dragoon

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Quote (Sabin @ 31 Jul 2003, 16:14)
BTW, for the celebration... can we have CAKE?! because i <3 cake ^_^

* Busts out cake, chips, punch...anything you could possibly want at the 6th Anniversary of CoN. ^_^

--------------------
~Status Report~

* Completed... Dragon's Head
* Completed... Soldiers of the Empire: Disciples (release pending)
* In Progress/Undecided... Of Love and Betrayal
* Planning/Assembly... Where it all Began
Post #15245
Posted: 31st July 2003 21:24

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (King final fanasty @ 31 Jul 2003, 15:58)
im going to make a poll about this whole revalation thing k.So come and vote.Who will be the leader. :o

If you do, my last official act will be to ban you.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #15246
Posted: 31st July 2003 21:25

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Huzzah for the CoN! I remember coming here in CoN3 ^_^

mmm cake...

so lets get this straight, SSJ's revolting against Tiddle's tyranny? Whos side are the staffers taking? eh? eh?

--------------------
This one time I punched a bear in the forehead TO DEATH! I still have the scars on my chest. I am the manliest man that ever did man.

League: Z3roHawk
Steam: Zero_Hawk
Wii U: Zero_Hawk
FF14 - Goblin - Zero Hawk <Fiend>
Post #15247
Posted: 31st July 2003 21:26
Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Joshy Joshy Joshikousei... ;-; It's so sad that you're retiring, but I'm happy happy you're not leaving.
You know I'll have to keep calling you chief once in a while out of tradition, right?

Anyway, I look forward to the future of the CoN and #narshe. I love all you chat regulars. ^_^

Happy Sixth Birthday to the CoN!
Post #15248
Posted: 31st July 2003 21:42

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I really wanted to post some long teary eyed post, but oh well.  I'm not saying farewell to Josh because he's not leaving, he'll still be here and do everything he's always done, except now he's allowed to slack off more.  Oh yeah, hail lord Tiddles.

PS:  :(  Josh.
Post #15250
Posted: 31st July 2003 22:57

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
I have to support Tiddles in this, if Josh really is going through with this.  By the way, I'm not Tiddles.  Really.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #15256
Posted: 31st July 2003 23:18

Group Icon

Awards:
See More (Total 12)
I thoroughly respect Neal's opinion as probably the greatest staffer I've ever worked with and a shrewd judge of character.  And I'm definitely not him.  Look, I've got glasses and a 'tache and everything.  There's no way we'd just be supporting each other because we're the same person.  That's crazy talk.  You're a crazy man (OR WOMAN).
Post #15257
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: