CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Final Fantasy XIV Beta

Posted: 14th June 2013 21:00

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Anyone in the Beta right now? I just got my email for it this morning. I want someone to play with!

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, Attack of the Firday Monsters, Animal Crossing: A New Leaf, Lego City Undercover, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix

Recently Finished: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Favorite Game: Suikoden III
Post #203580
Posted: 16th June 2013 22:25

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
I've been playing the PC beta, but just got an email inviting me to the PS3 one too.
Post #203599
Posted: 17th June 2013 05:25

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I started the PS3 Beta on Friday. I'm so impressed with the game and I only imagine it being even better come launch time. I always said that if they created a MMORPG that played similarly to World of Warcraft but was in a Final Fantasy world, I would play that game to death and forever. I think the game looks gorgeous and is fun to play. It's a little different getting used to playing with the gamepad but it's working out quite I'm so excited for the game to come out.

Gamestop has some really great reserve bonuses too. A Cait Sith doll pet and a Moogle Hat.

Right now I'm playing as a Male Lallafell Lancer on Ifrit. Tell me about your experience Cefca.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, Attack of the Firday Monsters, Animal Crossing: A New Leaf, Lego City Undercover, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix

Post #203600
Posted: 17th June 2013 21:48

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
I didn't play it a whole lot on the PC because quite often the period where it would be open to play would be when I wasn't at home. I liked what I played though, it's definitely better than the first version. I just wish I had a better PC - it's decent but not quite good enough for me to play the game for any real length anyway. I did some quests though so got a decent feel for it.

I think the PS3 version will be much better for me to play. It'll take some time for me to get used to the controls but at least I won't have to worry about not having a good enough computer for it.
Post #203610
Posted: 17th June 2013 22:25

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Yeah, getting used to the controller has taken some time for me since I have never played an MMO using anything other than a keyboard and mouse. But it'll just take time. I do want to be careful that I don't play the hell outta the beta and then not be interested when the game comes out. XD

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Post #203613
Posted: 18th June 2013 12:59

Engineer

Awards:
See More (Total 14)
Quote (Chewbekah @ 17th June 2013 22:25)
Yeah, getting used to the controller has taken some time for me since I have never played an MMO using anything other than a keyboard and mouse. But it'll just take time. I do want to be careful that I don't play the hell outta the beta and then not be interested when the game comes out. XD

I've only ever played them on PC too. It'll probably take me a while but I'm sure it shouldn't be too complicated (I hope not anyway tongue.gif).

Gonna download it next time I'm home and then I can actually find out, haha.
Post #203618
Posted: 18th June 2013 13:18

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I thought the controller was fantastic when I played (I actually don't know if I am in the current beta - did everyone from previous betas get included?).

I used a 360 controller, and I've never played an MMO at all. Maybe that colors my opinion.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #203620
Posted: 26th June 2013 15:24

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
I didn't get in the beta (I kind of want to wait until launch day anyway), but just pre-ordered a Collector's Edition for the PC. Can't wait!!
Post #203689
Posted: 2nd July 2013 03:34

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I recently got accepted for the PS3 beta and I'm very much looking forward to FF14: A Realm Reborn, coming from FF11.
Post #203793
Posted: 3rd July 2013 18:27
Returner

Who is going to be on the Ultros server for FF14 AAR? I have to support my favorite FF game.

Moderator Edit
Merged with other XIV Beta topic for more eyeballs. -R51

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 3rd July 2013 19:04
Post #203808
Posted: 6th July 2013 02:42
Returner

I admit that the Magitek armor trailer alone was able to get me to pre order it.
Post #203821
Posted: 15th July 2013 08:58

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. 
I've been in the Beta since Phase 2 and I've been thoroughly enjoying it. It is a very beautiful game, with a lovely world to immerse in, great visuals and a gorgeous soundtrack thus far.

I like the character classes and the races, along with the lore they've begun crafted. The English localization is really solid, I think, and I like the characterization of the NPCs. I think it may be the first pay-to-play MMORPG that I may actually buy in to. I've never done WoW, but I did get into Ragnarok Online in its beta days. As fun as it was, it didn't motivate me to pursue after it went to its full blown pay model. Still, good game, though.

At any rate, FFXIV is pretty solid. I'd mention my server, but I think that's pointless considering Phase 3 is about to end and wipe us all anyways.

So, come Phase 4, we can all connect again!

--------------------
Games on the Go
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy: Four Warriors of Light
Baldur's Gate

Too much to play, so little time!

Greg
Post #203878
Posted: 17th July 2013 15:38

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Chewbekah @ 17th June 2013 05:25)
I always said that if they created a MMORPG that played similarly to World of Warcraft but was in a Final Fantasy world, I would play that game to death and forever.

If you want FF WoW, FF12 is you answer. Based on what I have heard, I highly recommend it to you.
Post #203890
Posted: 17th July 2013 16:50

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Quote (RavenLalonde @ 17th July 2013 08:38)
Quote (Chewbekah @ 17th June 2013 05:25)
I always said that if they created a MMORPG that played similarly to World of Warcraft but was in a Final Fantasy world, I would play that game to death and forever.

If you want FF WoW, FF12 is you answer. Based on what I have heard, I highly recommend it to you.

I've played it. But it's not an MMORPG. It is a good game though.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Post #203893
Posted: 18th July 2013 12:06

Onion Knight

Awards:

I played some of the beta and loved it and made a character and everything, however I'm not too big on online games because I just prefer the beginning- boss- storyline- final boss- ending style of gaming, rather than doing missions and getting rewards on the missions per say.

Though if you do enjoy online gaming, then this looking very promising. happy.gif

--------------------
Top Three fave Final Fantasies Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy V [ GBA ]
Post #203904
Posted: 28th July 2013 07:57

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2011-2012. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. Third place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. 
I was on the Phase 3 PS3 beta, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I never played the original, but in ARR, the scenery was gorgeous, and it seems almost every aspect of the game was refined to adopt many of the elements of WoW. Despite this, it still retained a very Final Fantasy-like feel, which is what I love most about the game. The story telling was very well done for an online game, and this is what I think is an important aspect to have in an online RPG game, especially Final Fantasy. I loved the story in FFXI, and I'm hoping the story in FFXIV will be of the same caliber.

Being a game being re-built from the ground up, I was very impressed with all the particular details the developers spent on many of the small things to make the world feel more immersive and responsive to the character. For example, all the sounds made, whether it be from abilities, hitting an enemy, or just running through different types of terrain, are all very refined and make the experience more enjoyable.

However, there were a few things I thought could be improved, including:

1) Quests: The current quests are pretty boring, and reminiscent of beta-WoW quests. (As in the quests are: kill things, loot things, pick up things, etc.) It's been almost 11 years since beta-WoW, and I feel like the quests should definitely be more than the same boring stuff that has been going on in MMO's since forever.

2) Combat: I guess I can't comment too much on the combat since I only made it to level 15, but fighting my way through the fifteen levels was pretty boring and slow. Most of it was just mashing maybe three buttons. Hopefully at higher levels I will be proven wrong and the combat becomes more dynamic and interesting.
Post #204010
Posted: 28th July 2013 19:34

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Quote (l)arkShadow @ 28th July 2013 00:57)
1) Quests: The current quests are pretty boring, and reminiscent of beta-WoW quests. (As in the quests are: kill things, loot things, pick up things, etc.) It's been almost 11 years since beta-WoW, and I feel like the quests should definitely be more than the same boring stuff that has been going on in MMO's since forever.

2) Combat: I guess I can't comment too much on the combat since I only made it to level 15, but fighting my way through the fifteen levels was pretty boring and slow. Most of it was just mashing maybe three buttons. Hopefully at higher levels I will be proven wrong and the combat becomes more dynamic and interesting.

Yeah, ya know, it kinda sounds like you haven't even played WoW that recently because kill things, loot things, pick up things is still very much a big part of WoW. Similar with combat. The original FFXIV did try to think outside that box and failed. The most successful MMOs tend to follow the same formula that you're complaining about. Square Enix needed to follow a formula that works and the WoW formula works. Like I believe I stated above, I wanted a MMORPG that plays llike WoW but's world is FF. And I think think a lot of people feel that way. I think that's what a lot of people wanted with XI and it wasn't that way. Only super hard core MMO players that basically had all day to form parties and fight monsters (because it generally took hours to that and bored me to tears. Take an hour to get a complete part, take another half hour to pull a monster and we beat it and everyone is done or we all get killed. Sounds like more of a formula for boredom than this.) could really enjoy that game.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Post #204015
Posted: 16th August 2013 02:09

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
All that being said, the MMORPG is a hard wheel to reinvent at this point.

I think, in the end, it's all about the window dressings, really. If you like the vibe of Warcraft, then WoW. You like Final Fantasy? Then FFXIV is your bag. Like Star Wars? Well, you get the point.

In the end, fetch quests and loot grinding are things that are likely to be everpresent in the MMORPG world. However, their concept of FATE quests seems interesting and a little more original, though, again, I think some games have been doing that already, just calling it different things. Still, I like that they don't demand partying up, more just bringing everyone in the area together to beat the puss out of a challenging baddy.

I would really have to sit down and grind out my thoughts to try and find something legitimately original.

Anyways, I'm excited/sad that the final beta phase is coming up because I don't know if I'll have the time to buy into the finished product right away.

Too much of a backlog in my games as is. DANG YOU STEAM SALES!!!

Then there's the ever consuming AC: NL...

--------------------
Games on the Go
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy: Four Warriors of Light
Baldur's Gate

Too much to play, so little time!

Greg
Post #204219
Posted: 16th August 2013 05:09

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I've avoided the Beta aside from playing at max 5 hours of one of them because I didn't want to play the Hell out of the beta and then buy it and not play it at all. I'm glad it doesn't come out on a Saturday because the same thing would happen as when I bought the Burning Crusade expansion for WoW. I stayed up for the midnight release, took the next day off work, played all day and then didn't play again for at least 2 or 3 years.

And yes, Animal Crossing: NL is so time consuming. I definitely will not be taking a break any day until my house is expanded to it's fullest, I run out of public works projects, and have all my rooms decorated. Though actually, I should say I won't be able to stop playing daily for a little less than a year because I know there will be seasonal things I wouldn't get if I stopped playing for an extended period of time.

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Post #204226
Posted: 21st August 2013 20:54

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Phase 4 ended recently, managed to get my Arcanist capped at level 20 but nothing else unfortunately. Looking forward to early access on the 24th.
Post #204304
Posted: 22nd August 2013 16:21

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
When I reserved the game it said I would have early access but I'm not sure how that would even work since I'm getting the PS3 version. I didn't end up participating in the rest of the Beta because I played enough to know that I'd like the game. Didn't want to burn myself out on it before it came out. But I am excited for its release!!!

--------------------
Chewbekah ^_^

Post #204317
Posted: 23rd August 2013 16:56

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
Hello everyone!

Anyone here will be playing at the Ragnarok server? If you need a tank, call Elanon Trias (just mind that i'm still learning unsure.gif )!

Oh, once the server transfers are up, we could could get CoN people together. What do you guys think?

flag-blue.gif

--------------------
Live Long and Prosper!
Post #204324
Posted: 26th August 2013 02:56

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
Playing Early Access on Adamantoise server with some friends. I think they chose that because during the beta it seemed the most stable. Of course, it's really being stress tested right now and things have been absolutely crazy and not great for logging in, but if you're on Adamantoise, I'm Maynard Keenan on there.
Post #204339
Posted: 27th August 2013 19:17

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in the 2007 Name that Tune contest. 
well it just opened up today, planning on getting in on malboro cause I know a dude there. If anyone wants to chill hit me uuupp yo

Had no interest in mmos since my mediocre experience with XI, but the effort they've put into re-making this game is pretty astounding honestly, I just hope it works out for them (and for me). I'd also be curious to hear how people think this has improved or not on the first iteration, which I never got around to playing.

--------------------
"We're not tools of the government or anyone else. Fighting... fighting was the only thing I was ever good at, but at least I always fought for what I believed in." - Frank Yeager (a.k.a. Grey Fox)
Post #204345
Posted: 23rd November 2013 13:01

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Tell me more about FFXIV please.If it is really good, maybe i might try.

Currently how many expansions are there? What do you like/dislike about it currently?

Is there lots of tradeskills? you mentioned the music, is that all orchestrated?

Does the story of FFXIV link to any other or all games in the series?

Show me some gameplay footage please in a review.I'd like to hear your opinions people.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #205614
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: