CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
The Aftermath of 1 April

Posted: 2nd April 2009 01:32

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Okay, so, we admit it; the re-emergence of Moogle30 was utter shenanigans in honor of one of the best days of the year. Not so bad, right? Besides, you all are (we think) quite lucky; while M30 and all his antics were a gag, the blistering-hot new Chrono Trigger section absolutely is not. If you want to talk about a labor of love, well, this is a prime example—this section of the site really began even before Caves of Narshe 5, when Neal wrote his first Chrono Trigger walkthrough (the child of which we use on CoN today), while Tiddles temporarily worked on a CT site of his own while simultaneously helping develop the fifth full revision of CoN. When we heard a Nintendo DS remake was in the works, we decided right away to put all that experience to use and spent the next several months compiling all the information into a usable package for you guys, the gamers.

While we didn't get the section out as soon as we wanted to, I think you'll agree when you go to visit it that the section is among the best that CoN has ever put out, and our reputation for quality game coverage continues with every revision we make. The extra time was worth it to us, and we hope it is for you too, especially as you dust off your old carts/discs or pick up the (pretty great!) remake for NDS. Not only did we pour a ton of effort into the section, doing so sparked us to update and upgrade other parts of the site as well to give everything a bit of a facelift and to give you guys all the more reason to keep coming to CoN. Here are some highlights of what to look for in this launch:
  • Chrono Trigger coverage for both the original SNES (which also covers the Playstation port, which changed very little indeed) and also the Nintendo DS remake that launched in the United States in December 2008;
  • Updates to our fanart section to display CT fanart along with all the other Square-Enix games for which you might want to submit;
  • Revisions to all the splashy images on the landing page for each game to match our pretty new style instigated by the revisions to site skins for our tenth anniversary in 2007;
  • The Caves of Narshe YouTube channel, which started about six months ago to host, specifically, Chrono Trigger ending videos and Final Fantasy VI desperation attacks but has quickly expanded to more video than we can currently organize on the site itself (but we'll work on it!);
This new section would have been impossible years ago, and the main reason why is because of the people. We had a great group of people pull together to work on this section; as I mentioned in passing above, Tiddles' love of this game (and Neal's excellent walkthrough) were of course the catalysts to making this section a reality; even though I wrote the vast majority of the display logic to get the data to your browser, I was only the instrument of their inspiration from years back. Additionally, I can't give thanks enough to everyone else who helped this section become reality. The list is extensive, so please feel free to visit the section landing page to get the whole list, but I do want to thank all the regular chatters who were always willing to lend a hand in helping me understand a game that I haven't played tons, as well as all the more standard acts of data collection and testing. I have to especially thank footbigmike and Olly, the former for being willing to do any task I threw at him pretty much any time, and the latter for always keeping a smile and a snarky comment on hand throughout the drudgery of user testing.

That leads me to a final critical point for this message, and that involves updates to the staff page. As we all get older, our lives become more and more complex and it becomes harder and harder to ensure time for a hobbyist pursuit like CoN. As you should no doubt understand, CoN is a volunteer organization, and as such it can be really hard to keep with in the face of so many other things that we all deal with day in, day out. So, we're losing some staff members today, unfortunately, and adjusting the roles of others; I want to thank each and every one of my staff, those leaving and those staying, for their hours of work and for helping me to enjoy my hours of work just a bit more. I also want to make sure that everyone out there is ready to give props to our newest addition, though, coming on officially today with the CT section and YouTube channel already under his belt, footbigmike. This guy is a fantastic example of just what I like in my CoN members and my friends; he's reliable, smart, and just showed up in chat one day and very quickly became part of the very fabric of the site's community.

Oh, and speaking of chat, if you've ever talked in there you've contributed to chat's latest milestone. While all of the Moogle30/Stockbreak madness was underway, chat very quietly hit the threshold of four million lines chatted. That's a four with six zeroes after it, you see.

For the curious, by the way, the four millionth line in chat happened at 13:56 American Eastern time on 1 April 2009, and it was this absolute gem: [13:56] Gabe: I'll do you fast, Peppy. Of course, if that doesn't prove it to you, check the stat yourself at the bottom of the chatstats, page one. Further, to commemorate the occasion, I even managed to root around on Climmy and dig up stats for the entire history of chat (less a few days that are missing due to system crashes, cross-country moves, etc.). We'll update the big stats about once a month or so, and regular stats will be sure to stay on their schedule of updating every two hours.

Now that we have the new section up, of course, we'll be moving on to other projects that we hope you'll like. We don't necessarily know what those are yet, but we're thinking. So, that means we're willing to hear from you. New game coverage? New toys to play with on the site? Shut down and move on with our lives? We'll listen to just about anything, because, heck, we like the attention.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #176569
Posted: 2nd April 2009 01:37

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
This was a fun 1 April. Best April Fool's joke in a while - I always liked you better as webmaster, Josh heart.gif

Also congrats Mike, gotta say I didn't see that coming.

--------------------
Squenix games completed:

FFIII
FFIV
FFVI
FFVII
FFIX
FFX
FF Tactics: Advance 2
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest 8
Dragon Quest 11
Super Mario RPG
Post #176570
Posted: 2nd April 2009 02:17

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Quad @ 1st April 2009 21:37)
This was a fun 1 April. Best April Fool's joke in a while - I always liked you better as webmaster, Josh heart.gif

Also congrats Mike, gotta say I didn't see that coming.

How could you have not seen that coming? You're in chat lurking all the time, you must know how much effort and time he's put into helping Josh.

I love the new CT pages and, if I wasn't so absolutely sick of replaying the game at the moment, it would've inspired another play through out of me. Hopefully it does the same to many others!

And as for you, Mike...Well, MikeisanAnus.mp3 says it all well enough! Why WOULD you shoot that way? But seriously, congrats buddy!

--------------------
Okay, but there was a goat!
Post #176574
Posted: 2nd April 2009 02:36

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Well, I'd heard about the CT section a while back when someone spilled the beans that y'all were working on something big (this was back in late 2008), and that it was a section for a game that I'd probably played before. But that person wouldn't specify.

My getting myself onto deviantArt and subsequently discovering one of the prominent CoN artists there confirmed to me that it was indeed CT.

I can spill the beans on who these two people are, as well as more details, if people don't mind. (You know who you are.)

...Oh, and I also knew that the CT section was the real deal.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #176576
Posted: 2nd April 2009 03:00

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
grats, mike! finally got a staff member who can shut the door.(lookin at you, josh)

with the new CT section finally up, i'll see about finishing it finally. in fact, i think i'll get on it now! the section's sweet, btw

This post has been edited by Malevolence on 2nd April 2009 03:00

--------------------
moé in the streets, senpai in the sheets
Post #176578
Posted: 2nd April 2009 03:21

Crusader

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2013. First place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Awesome job we did, team.

And don't think for a minute that just because I did a minimal amount of work doesn't mean I'm not allowed to bask in its glory!

Ok, but seriously, add CT to the list of thoroughly, extensively, and exhaustively covered games of CoN. Every can give big ups to Josh, Mike, and Tiddles foremost, but to everyone involved

Also, the all-time statchat sheet is impressive. But is there any way to combine my old, forum chat name and more frequently used Bobbo moniker? Lest someone think they are two different people!

--------------------
"When I turn the page
The corner bends into the perfect dog ear
As if the words knew I'd need them again
But at the time, I didn't see it."

~"This Ain't a Surfin' Movie" - Minus the Bear
Post #176580
Posted: 2nd April 2009 03:36

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Cripes, that was quite the April Fools party I missed ohmy.gif !

Congrats on the CT material! Even if I still think CT's one of the more overrated games I've played, it's still makes a great addition to the site.

--------------------
Post #176581
Posted: 2nd April 2009 04:11

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2008. First place in CoNBA, 2006. Third place in CoNBA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
See More (Total 10)
Not even in the top 50. Not so good, Gears pinch.gif

--------------------
Hip-Hop QOTW:

"Yeah, where I'ma start it at, look I'ma part of that
Downtown Philly where it's realer than a heart attack
It wasn't really that ill until the start of crack
Now it's a body caught every night on the Almanac"

"Game Theory"
The Roots
Post #176583
Posted: 2nd April 2009 06:16

Crusader

Awards:
I need to chat more wink.gif

That was thouroughly fun smile.gif

Also, one more thing.
Josh: in that PM about a "good one" and "liking the FFVIII section more". I said NOTHING of Moogle30 tongue.gif

--------------------
"I fell off the mountain of words at around the 10,000ft mark. Tell my family...they owe me money." -Narratorway

"If you retort against this, so help me God I'll shove any part of your anatomy I can find into some other part. Figuratively, of course." - Josh

"We have more, can deliver tuesday." - Del S

Good old CoN
Post #176588
Posted: 2nd April 2009 06:33

Climbing Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
Congrats, Mike! We are all thrilled to have you aboard now!

Also, yea the CT section rocks. Excellent job to all those involved with it; I actually referenced it earlier today. happy.gif

--------------------
Is PJ
Post #176590
Posted: 2nd April 2009 07:14

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Second place in CoNCAA, 2011. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. First place in CoNCAA, 2009. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
It'll be a while before I actually want to play Chrono Trigger again. And if I do, there will be no Emerald Mountain.

Thanks, all - happy to help. smile.gif Now I finally have the time to find the mystery informant who cut the power to my cell for just a few seconds while I could escape.
Post #176592
Posted: 2nd April 2009 08:10

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoNCAA, 2011. Third place in CoN World Cup, 2010. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2005. 
Congrats mike!

btw, AMAZING job on the Chrono Trigger section guys. Nice dose of nostalgia going over it smile.gif I'm definitely busting out CT tomorrow!

--------------------

"The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."
- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince
Post #176594
Posted: 2nd April 2009 09:59

Cactuar

Awards:
I love the CT content. And I loved the April Fool's drama here on the forums. I couldn't stop laughing when I got that PM from Climmy. That's why I love you guys. Keep up the good work ;)

--------------------
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one...
Post #176596
Posted: 2nd April 2009 10:43

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
As I said before, the CT content is amazing.

I thought that whole day was one of the most hilarious pantomimes I've ever seen.

Edit
I forgot to say earlier. For what it's worth I would advocate FFIX for new game content, if you're asking.

This post has been edited by sweetdude on 2nd April 2009 10:49

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #176598
Posted: 2nd April 2009 11:00

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
See More (Total 9)
Wow, I just looked over the full wealth of the CT section. I didn't realize it was going to be quite that expansive. I don't think there is anything that isn't covered in there.

Mike's new avatar is so zetta slow, but only because he's a hectopascal.

I wonder what's next for CoN.

--------------------
Okay, but there was a goat!
Post #176601
Posted: 2nd April 2009 12:51

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
GMH: Anyone who came to chat in the last six months probably knew. We didn't really keep it a secret in there simply because there were so many people in chat working on it all the time.

Mal: I CAN shut the door. When there's no ZOEY in front of it. Zoeeeeeeeey.

Bobbo: Can't believe I never updated that before, because the same file manages nicks for both regular and Uber. Should be done now for both types of stats, and I uploaded a new version of the UberStats to reflect it. Everyone else, feel free to let me know if you see other nick weirdness.

Smad: It's far too late to retcon, I have archives.

Sweets: FF9 would be fun, but then we'd have another gap that could be filled only by... gasp... FF8. What's a girl to do?

Man, looking at those big chatstats again really makes me miss a bunch of the people who used to be around. I wish we could force several of them to come back more often.

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 2nd April 2009 12:54

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #176606
Posted: 2nd April 2009 12:59

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Quote (Rangers51 @ 2nd April 2009 12:51)
Sweets: FF9 would be fun, but then we'd have another gap that could be filled only by... gasp... FF8. What's a girl to do?

FFVIII could join II and III in the 'rejected!' bin.

Hang on, this sounds precariously ungrateful. I've been reading through the CT stuff for about an hour now and it's just about the best distraction from revision I've ever had the privilege to waste time on. In the world of Bernard's Watch (please tell me someone recognises this?) we could stop time and do all kinds of major projects on a whim; then FFIX would be on the cards. I feel a bit like the child who asked JK Rowling when the next book would be out after she'd just finished HP4.

This post has been edited by sweetdude on 2nd April 2009 13:17

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #176608
Posted: 2nd April 2009 13:02

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (sweetdude @ 2nd April 2009 08:59)
FFVIII could join II and III in the 'rejected!' bin.

Ha ha, in fairness, neither FF2 nor 3 have ever been rejected per se, it's more that the resources and interest have never really combined to produce them.

--------------------

Post #176609
Posted: 2nd April 2009 13:28

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Winner of CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. 
Great April fools day! Unfortunately I missed most of it (darn you, time zones!)
I like the new CT-section, I even changed my avatar..

By the way, when we're on the subject, I'd like a FFIII section!
Post #176613
Posted: 2nd April 2009 15:14

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Rangers51 @ 2nd April 2009 08:51)
GMH: Anyone who came to chat in the last six months probably knew. We didn't really keep it a secret in there simply because there were so many people in chat working on it all the time.

Well, anyway, it was laszlow who spilled the beans that y'all were working on something for a while now. Since like last year.

I remember expecting a release date of something like New Year's Day 2009. Of course, that never materialized, but whatever.

I did ask laszlow to drop me some hints, promising him not to tell (a promise I kept), and he told me that it was a game that the staff like and that I've probably played before. My smart money was on CT, second being SoM and FFIII tied, since I know this is an FF/Squenix site and I know y'all love them Squenix RPGs--except FFVIII, FFTA, FFX-2, and FFXI, probably. FFCC and FFII were probably not prominent enough for y'all, and I know that y'all have a retro streak and a desire to "fill in" the FF "holes" before moving onto higher numbers like FFX. (Now I would be shocked if, say, Castlevania showed up here suddenly. tongue.gif)

More recently, I got myself a deviantArt account, where I ended up running into both Rangers51 and Kame. Kame noted that she was doing some Chrono Trigger artwork "for Josh", and I immediately had my answer. smile.gif

By the way, when we're on the subject, I'd like a FFIII section!

Don't tempt fate. Or, alternatively, ask them what they need help with; IIRC they are interested in making that, even though it's not a front-burner project.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #176617
Posted: 2nd April 2009 15:20

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
Mike go staff.

Congratulations on the promotion, and to Josh for churning CT out. Well, more of a thanks to Josh, really. Because now I can leave the cotton fields forever. heart.gif
Post #176619
Posted: 2nd April 2009 16:46

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Rangers51 @ 2nd April 2009 14:51)
Smad: It's far too late to retcon, I have archives.

Actually, I forgot what I wrote. blush.gif how stupid of me.

--------------------
"I fell off the mountain of words at around the 10,000ft mark. Tell my family...they owe me money." -Narratorway

"If you retort against this, so help me God I'll shove any part of your anatomy I can find into some other part. Figuratively, of course." - Josh

"We have more, can deliver tuesday." - Del S

Good old CoN
Post #176622
Posted: 3rd April 2009 13:18

Engineer

Awards:
Quote (sweetdude @ 2nd April 2009 12:59)
In the world of Bernard's Watch (please tell me someone recognises this?)

I remember watching that. It was awesome!

Great way to launch the CT forum and section guys, nice work. happy.gif
Post #176650
Posted: 3rd April 2009 13:29

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
See More (Total 11)
'Tis.

Speaking of time: how long did it take to create all the new CT content?

--------------------

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #176651
Posted: 3rd April 2009 13:59

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
We started in earnest just before I changed jobs, so probably September. We thought we'd have everything ready by Christmas, but the NDS version changed a lot more than we expected, which required me to totally rewrite the translation matrix to switch between games, and also required twice as long to edit for the walkthrough to account for that.

All told, in terms of real work time, about six months, though parts of the work began much longer ago.

--------------------

Post #176656
Posted: 3rd April 2009 15:40

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Winner of CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. 
Ahh! I just noticed all of the Marle avatars wacko.gif

Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 2nd April 2009 16:14)
Don't tempt fate.  Or, alternatively, ask them what they need help with; IIRC they are interested in making that, even though it's not a front-burner project.

I actually PM:ed and asked tongue.gif
Post #176671
Posted: 18th May 2009 20:37

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
As an aside, the full-chat-history stats update twice a month now and you can link to them from the chat section of the site, so you needn't search this thread out each time you're curious.

--------------------

Post #177525
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: