CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Super Bowl- Who Wins?[now with chat about ads too]

Who wins, and who beats the spread (NE -12)?
New England wins and beats the spread [ 2 ]  [14.29%]
New England wins, and the spread is a tie! [ 1 ]  [7.14%]
New England wins, but New York beat the spread [ 2 ]  [14.29%]
New York wins [ 9 ]  [64.29%]
Total Votes: 14
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 3rd February 2008 17:54

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
The Super Bowl is tonight, with the heavily-favored New England Patriots taking on the surprising New York Giants. Who do you think will win the game, and if you think New England wins, will they cover the spread?

For those unfamiliar with sports betting, the spread is currently set at at "New England -12". This means that for a bet on this line, 12 points are subtracted from New England's final score, and then the winner is re-calculated. From a betting standpoint, if New England wins 34-24, people who bet on the Giants would actually come away as the winners, as they lost by less than 12.

Also post your final score predictions, and something nice will happen to the poster who is closest.

(New England wins, 45-27)

EDIT: Everybody who posts in this thread gets a custom avatar if Tom Brady gets severely injured.

This post has been edited by Neal on 3rd February 2008 18:00

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #162239
Posted: 3rd February 2008 18:02

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
See More (Total 9)
I'm, of course, pulling for the Giants and I do think they're able to get it done, especially given their performance last few games and the fact that they've played damn well against the Patriots before. They're a much more organized team now then they were during that match up, too. If rumors of Tom Brady coming into this game with an injury are true too, I'm definitely going to be hopeful for the New York Giants.

I'm gonna call the game at Giants 38 Patriots 31.
Yeah, I know, I'm saying that the Giants will pull if off with a touchdown over a field goal. I have faith.

I hope Tom Brady dies.

--------------------
Okay, but there was a goat!
Post #162242
Posted: 3rd February 2008 18:44

Eli MVP?

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Everybody who posts in this thread gets a custom avatar if Tom Brady gets severely injured.

Heres my one cent worth. I want the giants to win, but i think the patriots are going to win.

Tom Brady shall break a nail and act like he just broke his spine. Or better yet, he breaks his spine.

Giants 24-21.
Post #162247
Posted: 3rd February 2008 18:51

SOLDIER

Awards:
I'll tell you who wins:

Tom Petty and Commercials thumbup.gif

Everything else is just crap you have to sit through and deal with people going on about. tongue.gif

(New England 56-38)
I don't normally do sports things, but hey, I'll call it a bit larger than everyone else. happy.gif

This post has been edited by leilong on 3rd February 2008 18:57

--------------------
If internal struggles were as enjoyable and glamorous as the self conflicted wars within video game characters, we would all be statues, reveling in perpetual self war. -Me

Play me on Rock Band 2, GH-WT, or any other Xbox GH!
Xbox Gamertag-MeanJerry
Post #162248
Posted: 3rd February 2008 19:17

Black Mage

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2017. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2010. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2006. Third place in CoNCAA, 2008. 
See More (Total 10)
Just like the last game of the regular season, it's going to be close. I won't be surprised if the Giants beat the spread (or even beat the patriots). we'll have to wait and see.

--------------------
And have you found your joy, in this near dead world of ours?
Post #162249
Posted: 3rd February 2008 20:08

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
I am going to put the kibosh on predictions at 6:00 ET, and then this thread can be used for in-game discussion (if people are going to be on the tubes while the game is going).

--------------------
Post #162250
Posted: 3rd February 2008 20:23

Crusader

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2013. First place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
As I do every Super Bowl, I run a series of simulations using Madden. Here are the results of said series:

Giants 51 - Patriots 14
Giants 21 - Patriots 17
Giants 28 - Patriots 35
Giants 13 - Patriots 42
Giants 51 - Patriots 49

Take heed in this: I have done a best-of-5 series simulation for every single Super Bowl matchup the last 3 years. And not once has the winner of the simulated series lost the Super Bowl. What does that mean?

Expect the Lombardi trophy to be parked in the Meadowlands by the end of tonight.

user posted image

Real life prediction: 34 - 28, game goes into overtime, Eli Manning finds Amani Toomer who loses his defender and rumbles 50 some odd yards to ... the... HOUSE!

Write it down, there's my prediction.

This post has been edited by Sabin on 3rd February 2008 20:24

--------------------
"When I turn the page
The corner bends into the perfect dog ear
As if the words knew I'd need them again
But at the time, I didn't see it."

~"This Ain't a Surfin' Movie" - Minus the Bear
Post #162251
Posted: 3rd February 2008 21:07

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Second place in CoNCAA, 2011. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. First place in CoNCAA, 2009. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I'm gonna hazard a guess, 42-28 to New England.

EDIT: Everybody who posts in this thread gets a custom avatar if Tom Brady gets severely injured.

Shweet.
Post #162253
Posted: 3rd February 2008 21:09

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I just want the prize, whatever that might be. I hope it's Neal. Of course, I'm sitting in bloody O'Hare, waiting on a delayed flight back to Patriotsville, where the streets will be deserted and even I will watch an NFL game.

Pats 27, Giants 24. Nice try, Plaxico, but there's only so much you can do.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #162254
Posted: 3rd February 2008 22:52

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Prediction: Patriots 31, Giants 20

Commentary: this Super Bowl pissed me off a little, because a Packers-Chargers game is almost a fan-dream for me, as they are my second- and third-favorite teams in the league behind the 'Skins. I suppose I would prefer the Giants to win, because I have to root for the NFC East, but in a perfect world the Giants would win, but Eli Manning would break both legs in the process leaving the Giants with no quarterback for next year. Woohoo.

--------------------
Post #162258
Posted: 4th February 2008 03:07

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
[multiple expletives deleted]

I mean, did you see that 32-yard catch onto Tyree's helmet after Manning threw a pass nearly off-balance after busting through a pack of defensive linemen? WOW. Best Super Bowl in recent memory.

--------------------
Post #162264
Posted: 4th February 2008 03:08

Eli MVP?

Awards:
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
IN YO FACE PATRIOTS!!!!

I'm happy right now. thumbup.gif
Post #162265
Posted: 4th February 2008 03:37

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2008. First place in CoNBA, 2006. Third place in CoNBA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
See More (Total 10)
That was THE best play in NFL history. I don't know what to call it. At this point I just feel "the play" would suffice. My god. Good job, Eli, now we don't have to deal with "Best Team Ever" stories all year, and I feel a little more justified rooting for the Celtics if they make it to the NBA finals.

--------------------
Hip-Hop QOTW:

"Yeah, where I'ma start it at, look I'ma part of that
Downtown Philly where it's realer than a heart attack
It wasn't really that ill until the start of crack
Now it's a body caught every night on the Almanac"

"Game Theory"
The Roots
Post #162267
Posted: 4th February 2008 04:23

Crusader

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Second place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoNCAA, 2008. Third place in CoNCAA, 2009. First place in CoNBA, 2007. 
Wow, what an amazing Superbowl. More importantly, what an AMAZING PLAY. The best play of the night wasn't from Brady/Moss either, surprisingly. I'm completely satisfied, since I had very little opinion on the victor of this game. I came to see good football, and I did.

Edit
And btw, I am totally dumbfounded how your Simulator called the game AGAIN, Bobbo. That's awesome.

This post has been edited by Kappa the Imp on 4th February 2008 04:24

--------------------
I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Post #162268
Posted: 4th February 2008 04:24

Black Mage

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2017. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2010. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2006. Third place in CoNCAA, 2008. 
See More (Total 10)
Best. Superbowl. Ever.

Tyree's catch was omfg.

--------------------
And have you found your joy, in this near dead world of ours?
Post #162269
Posted: 4th February 2008 05:46

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
See More (Total 9)
Giants winning aerahahgahahsahahshas so m any shotssssss myabenot godoa timefoera spostttttttting WOOOOOOOOOOO TYREEEEEEEEEEE so much screaminga tiuna eat IT TOM BRADY SAACK AFTER SACK somany firstdownssssss

--------------------
Okay, but there was a goat!
Post #162270
Posted: 4th February 2008 06:29

Crusader

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2013. First place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
One word:

Champions.

--------------------
"When I turn the page

Post #162272
Posted: 4th February 2008 14:44

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
I wanted the Packers to be playing in this game, but since they weren't I was going for the Pats. I can't stand Don Shula.

Grats to the Giants, though. The game was won, without any doubt, by that defense of theirs. Tom Brady looked nothing like the composed and calm QB that we are all used to.

--------------------
Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them.

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #162275
Posted: 4th February 2008 19:32

Dragoon

Awards:
Well Hamedo Summed up the gist of my post.

to be quite honest after watching Eli play in the playoffs, I wanted the giants to win, the packers would have been my first choice, but it happens.

Eli and the giants were just on fire(throughout the whole playoffs), all of the reasons I used to bash Eli for seemed to be non-existent. the final two minutes of the game were absolutely beautiful; big first downs, an amazing catch, and a picture perfect touchdown.

Best. Superbowl. Ever.

Tyree's catch was omfg.

I was out of my seat.

And the Giants D-line, did such a fantastic job, the linebackers could just drop back and cover.

This post has been edited by Cloud_Strife510 on 4th February 2008 19:35

--------------------
"Have you ever seen a baby do that before?"
Post #162280
Posted: 5th February 2008 01:36

Eli MVP?

Awards:
because a Packers-Chargers game is almost a fan-dream for me

People today were talking about it today, and how no one likes the patriots, and that almost every one would like to see a Manning fest for next years super bowl.

Neal, what is the nice thing that happens to the poster who is closest?
Post #162296
Posted: 5th February 2008 14:48

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
See More (Total 24)
Quote (yomama @ 4th February 2008 20:36)
Neal, what is the nice thing that happens to the poster who is closest?

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten.

--------------------
Post #162304
Posted: 5th February 2008 16:27

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
And now for a re-route: which ads beat the spread?

I missed most of the game due to airline issues, of course, but just finished watching the ads at http://www.youtube.com/adblitz . I now know that I want an Audi R8 with a burning passion. Other than that, it seemed like there were a lot more good ads this year than last. Thoughts?

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 5th February 2008 22:38

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #162306
Posted: 5th February 2008 20:49

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Best ads: Doritos mousetrap, Amp Push It, Pepsi Justin Timberlake, Pepsi What Is Love?, and FedEx pigeons. Those stood out for me.

Worst ads: those racist cartoons from salesgenie.com

--------------------
Post #162314
Posted: 5th February 2008 21:02

Crusader

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
They were pretty good this year, but I have to say the one that got me smiling was the Pepsi Max commercial midway through the first half. Everyone nodding off, then they drink the drink and begin doing the head bob famed by Night at the Roxbury SNL skits. The commercial wouldn't have been that good if not for the end that had Chris Katan himself saying "Stop it, people!".

--------------------
"When I turn the page

Post #162316
Posted: 5th February 2008 22:43

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
For my money, Pepsi and Coke did both have great ads. The Thanksgiving Balloon one for Coke was really artfully done, even though the timing of it was weird. Tossup between which was the best of the two Pepsi ads, though I think I have to give the nod to JT. The Pepsi Max one just took too long to get to the point

I thought Disney did a pretty good job with Wall-E. Kinda fun to have it be a sort of meta-ad and also simultaneously remind everyone who Pixar is (as if they'd forgotten). Bridgestone also did a really good job , particularly with the ad with Alice Cooper and Richard Simmons.

Big loser to me was Sobe. It made no sense (yes, even though the lizard is their logo), and the overall concept had been done before and better. GoDaddy needs to hang it up, too. Their ads only matter because they try to push some stupid envelope every year; the web-only ad just wasn't even funny as it tried to be so clever and naughty.

I'm not even counting SalesGenie. They were a loser before the Super Bowl, and they certainly are now. The only people who might have really enjoyed those ads in a non-ironic way are, coincidentally, the same gutterdwellers who might actually think SalesGenie would work.

--------------------

Post #162322
Posted: 6th February 2008 01:06

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2008. First place in CoNBA, 2006. Third place in CoNBA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
See More (Total 10)
The only ad that made me laugh was the T-Mobile ad with D-Wade and Chuck, where D-Wade finally gets in Charles' 5 and then he won't stop calling him to talk about inane things. That was it for good commercials in my opinion.

--------------------
Hip-Hop QOTW:

"Yeah, where I'ma start it at, look I'ma part of that
Downtown Philly where it's realer than a heart attack
It wasn't really that ill until the start of crack
Now it's a body caught every night on the Almanac"

"Game Theory"
The Roots
Post #162329
Posted: 6th February 2008 01:49

Dragoon

Awards:
Quote (Sabin @ 5th February 2008 16:02)
They were pretty good this year, but I have to say the one that got me smiling was the Pepsi Max commercial midway through the first half. Everyone nodding off, then they drink the drink and begin doing the head bob famed by Night at the Roxbury SNL skits. The commercial wouldn't have been that good if not for the end that had Chris Katan himself saying "Stop it, people!".

One of the few that stuck out this year.

My favorite was Shaq as a jockey. the concept was genuinely funny.

other than that, I was just as disappointed as last year.
And the fact that there were more water commercials than beer commercials was rather disturbing.

This post has been edited by Cloud_Strife510 on 6th February 2008 01:49

--------------------
"Have you ever seen a baby do that before?"
Post #162334
Posted: 6th February 2008 02:01

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
i thought it was a pretty good game, but if the pats offence had showed up at all, they would have won instead. a good question to ask now is: can you call the 08 patriots the best team ever, if they have a perfect season with the exception of a loss in the superbowl? i think no.

the comercials, as always, are at least as much fun as the game. this year wasn't as good as before, but my favorites were:

1) The pepsi comercial rip-off of the SNL skit. "What is love? Baby don't hurt me, dont hurt me, no more" is still ringing in my head. which is still moving to the beat as well.
2) SoBe lizards meet thriller: classic.
3) A car comercial of some sort, where a squirl, in the middle of the road, begins screaming when a car approaches. The rest of the forest joins in, including the wife sitting in the front passanger seat.
4) Shaq riding in a horserace: what the heck? never mind that it's an add for vitamin water. completely off the point? yes. funny add? certainly.
5) richard simmons gets run over! well, almost. i was getting hopeful though.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #162337
Posted: 9th February 2008 21:10

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
See More (Total 24)
And much congrats to yomama, who was the closest to the prediction. Check out his new custom avatar and title!

--------------------
Post #162454
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: