CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
CoNtest 2006

Posted: 25th November 2006 01:52

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
The Caves of Narshe forum community has seen a number of very interesting and amusing new users. There's the Kimono^_^Kitsune the Japanophile, The Green Mage the aspiring author, Inque the capitalizer, and chou the obnoxious jerk. Just one thing you should know about those four....

Each of them was a staff member posting in disguise.

This is where the contest comes in - we will be awarding Amazon.com gift certificates to anyone who can correctly guess the true identity of those four users. Each of them is one and only one unique staff member - no staffer did more than one fake, and no staff member shared a fake with any other staff members. The prizes will be Amazon gift certificates ranging from $20 to $30, depending on how many perfect entries we receive, but we will guarantee that at least one user will win one, even if no one gives a perfect entry. We'll stop accepting entries and determine the contest winners two weeks from today's date. If you aren't sure who's a staff member and who isn't, then check the staff link here - any current staff member on that list is a possible candidate.

To enter, just send an email to contests@cavesofnarshe.com, with a subject line of "CoNtest". Your entry should clearly and concisely show who you are and what your guesses are, sort of like this:

laszlow's guesses

chou is Rangers51
Kimono^_^Kitsune is Tiddles
Inque is Neal
The Green Mage is Mr_Thou

Now, I'll give you an extra hint and say that the above entry isn't 100% correct. Aren't I generous? Anyway, have fun! You guys didn't actually think chou was for real, did you?

--------------------
Post #136556
Posted: 25th November 2006 02:02

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Submitted an idea for a podcast that was later recorded by the CoNcast team. Member of more than five years. 
Edit
Post deleted

This post has been edited by MetroidMorphBall on 25th November 2006 04:08
Post #136557
Posted: 25th November 2006 02:02
Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. 
what the heck i am not a fake account.

--------------------
moetsuki
moetsuki
motoranai yakusoku no basho
jouzu ni habataku watashi wo mitsumete
Post #136558
Posted: 25th November 2006 02:11

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
:< Well, I tried it, I don't know how good i did. wink.gif anyone wanna try and beat me?

--------------------
Post #136560
Posted: 25th November 2006 02:13

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quiet, chou.

To MMB: You weren't supposed to know the others were fake. If it was blatantly obvious for every one of them, I don't think it would have been nearly as fun.

We really bothered because we wanted to give our loyal forumgoers something to do besides posting for a little while. Discussing weird new members (come on, they're ALL weird) certainly went on both here and in chat, and now the payoff is that one or more lucky person/people is/are going to get some free stuff from Amazon.

There are no other fake accounts. The four described are the only four ever created by CoN staff, or at the very least the only four my aging, addled brain can recall. biggrin.gif

Oh, and I should note that nobody needs to worry; nobody who is now or has ever been on the staff is eligible to win any prizes here.

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 25th November 2006 02:15

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #136561
Posted: 25th November 2006 02:20

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
Added my reply to the mix too...I knew Kimono was too spunky and random to be real, now if only I had an excuse for myself.

--------------------
This is a webcomic and gaming blog where I rant about nonsense. Enjoy.

I was a soldier, now I just play one in video games.
Post #136562
Posted: 25th November 2006 02:24

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I wish I could vote, but obviously I can't. Good luck to all the people guessing. smile.gif The staff worked hard on this and had a lot of fun with it, and that's really the point of this contest, for people to have fun, both members AND staff.

--------------------
I had an old signature. Now I've changed it.
Post #136564
Posted: 25th November 2006 03:51

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
UGH. I knew it. I knew there was something fishy here with chou! But I'd never think that there'd be more than one 'alternate account'! Well, at least this is a creative idea for a contest.

You guys suck. xD

--------------------
Post #136568
Posted: 25th November 2006 05:44

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
Thanks for another great CoNtest

I must say that the 100k post CoNtest was almost a joke, since all I had to do was checking the number of posts at specific dates, the average number of posts per day, then calculate the date. I remembered wrong a number (by 1-2 days) which screwed up completely my calculations and because of that DP also won.

But now, NOW that's a real challenge, I doubt I can tell with accuracy who played who.

So if Sabin would be Kimono, then Mr Thou would be chou, and Hulk my grandmother...!?

Good luck to all of you, you'll need it.
Let's get STARTED!

--------------------
Sayonara
Post #136575
Posted: 25th November 2006 05:54

Crusader

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2013. First place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Given that the cat is out of the bag now, don't you all feel a little bit sheepish about the whole Chou being moderator debacle? Botched joke as it was, it amused the hell out of me. smile.gif

PS: I may or may not be one of the fakers... or am I?

--------------------
"When I turn the page
The corner bends into the perfect dog ear
As if the words knew I'd need them again
But at the time, I didn't see it."

~"This Ain't a Surfin' Movie" - Minus the Bear
Post #136576
Posted: 25th November 2006 06:32

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in the 2007 Name that Tune contest. 
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh my god, You guys just made my year. Christ, I can't stop laughing.
Alright, I'll try and guess. Wish me luck.

--------------------
"We're not tools of the government or anyone else. Fighting... fighting was the only thing I was ever good at, but at least I always fought for what I believed in." - Frank Yeager (a.k.a. Grey Fox)
Post #136579
Posted: 25th November 2006 07:14

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2008. First place in CoNBA, 2006. Third place in CoNBA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
See More (Total 10)
The best part of this is that chou isn't in fact a user we have to hear any more from.

I need to go back and read some of Inque's posts before submitting an entry.

--------------------
Hip-Hop QOTW:

"Yeah, where I'ma start it at, look I'ma part of that
Downtown Philly where it's realer than a heart attack
It wasn't really that ill until the start of crack
Now it's a body caught every night on the Almanac"

"Game Theory"
The Roots
Post #136583
Posted: 25th November 2006 08:14

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Pretty cute, guys happy.gif . My guesses are in the e-mail.

This post has been edited by Galsic on 25th November 2006 08:49

--------------------
Post #136586
Posted: 25th November 2006 11:20

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Second place in CoNCAA, 2011. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. First place in CoNCAA, 2009. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Three out of four of those false accounts were made on the same day. Interesting.
A genius idea for the CoNtest. I'll be sending my ideas along soon, after i've done some more research.
Post #136592
Posted: 25th November 2006 12:13

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Wow, I thought chou was just another user who wanted to get some crazy ideas off his chest. But a mod!? I've always detected a kind of love/hate relationship between him and R51 happy.gif I just thought The Green Mage was like, 7 years old or something... Kimono was a total shock, I liked her! Never even came across Inque. Thanks to the Mods for the effort in doing this.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #136597
Posted: 25th November 2006 13:39

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than thirty fanarts in CoN galleries. 
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
Oops.
I had guesses but can't enter.

Creative thing to do.
XD

Whee!

--------------------
..DDR..Maine..
..Hikaroo-chan no Deviantart..

<Tiddles> And I love how people suggest "Why not call it my great name?????" when their name is clearly the worst thing ever.
<Tiddles> "How about ; Mozilla Xplorer & Mozilla Xpress."
<Tiddles> How about you die in a fire?
Post #136603
Posted: 25th November 2006 14:15

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
No entries from me.

Standing ovation to the CoN staff, however, for this. Absolutely ingenious! One of the best pranks I have ever seen on any forum anywhere. Ever.

I would also like to point out that I was the first one to suspect that chou was an alt account. My guess at the time was Josh, though I'm now leaning towards Nealio. dry.gif

Excellent job, CoN staff.

--------------------
Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them.

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #136605
Posted: 25th November 2006 16:28

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Hamedo @ 25th November 2006 09:15)
No entries from me.

Standing ovation to the CoN staff, however, for this. Absolutely ingenious! One of the best pranks I have ever seen on any forum anywhere. Ever.

I would also like to point out that I was the first one to suspect that chou was an alt account. My guess at the time was Josh, though I'm now leaning towards Nealio. dry.gif

Excellent job, CoN staff.

Thank you, though most thanks need to go to Laszlow (and also our four mystery participants, of course).

Funny that you're willing to talk about it but not actually attempt to win a prize, though. tongue.gif

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #136607
Posted: 25th November 2006 18:13

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Oh...chou wasn't real? ...I...feel stupid now.

As for Kimono, I thought she was quite amusing, and Green Mage and Inque...well I didn't notice much too weird about them...

But I'll try anyway. Oooh, I can't wait for the results.

--------------------
Squenix games completed:

FFIII
FFIV
FFVI
FFVII
FFIX
FFX
FF Tactics: Advance 2
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest 8
Dragon Quest 11
Super Mario RPG
Post #136622
Posted: 25th November 2006 19:06

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
heart.gif heart.gif chou heart.gif heart.gif

I'm delighted that you all were confused.
Post #136634
Posted: 25th November 2006 19:25

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Actually, what I found most suspicious about chou was that he hadn't gotten himself banned yet.... As for the others, I didn't notice, but now that you mention it...

As I said earlier, I never noticed who Inque was, but The Green Mage was pretty noticeable. Maybe because of which forums and what topics I frequent.

And Kimono Kitsune was also pretty darn obvious. In my being high off the election, I was imagining her as a sort of "swing vote" between the sensible and the crazy, but...oh well.

Edit
One more thing:

What about Phoenix and Hikaroo?

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 25th November 2006 19:50

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #136636
Posted: 25th November 2006 19:36

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
See More (Total 9)
Wow. Well, I definitely feel stupid now. Massive props for having me completely so annoyed with someone that I didn't even bother to think it could be a prank. In hindsight, I really should've suspected something, as generally Josh wouldn't let someone as idiotic as chou's "persona" continue posting.

I've got some idea, so I'll probably participate.

--------------------
Okay, but there was a goat!
Post #136639
Posted: 25th November 2006 19:39

Crusader

Awards:
XD
I love it. I'm prolly wrong, but what the hell, my reply's been sent.
Shut up, chou! XD

--------------------
"I fell off the mountain of words at around the 10,000ft mark. Tell my family...they owe me money." -Narratorway

"If you retort against this, so help me God I'll shove any part of your anatomy I can find into some other part. Figuratively, of course." - Josh

"We have more, can deliver tuesday." - Del S

Good old CoN
Post #136641
Posted: 25th November 2006 20:37

Black Waltz

Awards:
OOOHHHH!!!!! That crazy chou!

--------------------
Post #136650
Posted: 25th November 2006 22:00

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Submitted an idea for a podcast that was later recorded by the CoNcast team. Member of more than five years. 
I have to admit, when I learned about chou I was pissed. But like I told Rangers in PM, I don't think that would've been my reaction except for things going on irl.

I had a feeling chou was fake but never would have guessed a staff member. I second whoever said Kitsune was nice and they liked her, and didn't pay much mind to the Green Mage or Inque. Although I do remember Inque saying some pretty idiotic things...

What the hey, I might throw my guesses in later. But def a well-planned prank.
Post #136657
Posted: 25th November 2006 22:32

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 25th November 2006 14:25)
Edit
One more thing:

What about Phoenix and Hikaroo?

Um, what about them?

--------------------

Post #136660
Posted: 25th November 2006 22:56

Cactuar

Awards:
Haha, I wouldn't never figured chou was a fake user... There are only a few people like that in the world and sadly, those people have the Internet... Gee, I feel kinda dumb now... happy.gif

--------------------
"You underestimate the strength of a Jedi's mind, Brejik. A mistake you won't live to regret, " -Bastila Shan(Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic)
Post #136665
Posted: 25th November 2006 23:05
Lunarian

Awards:
Eh?.. Hell, I thought chou was just the average jerk who'd wander into some random forum to piss people off. Hmmm... Four of them are four staff members... Tough nut to crack.
Post #136666
Posted: 26th November 2006 01:37
Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. 
my guesses are rangers (inque) neal (green mage) and hikaroo (kimono).

i am not a fake account. that part of the contest is just a joke. i think the joke has gone on long enough i am a real person and i find it very offensive that youre continuing to make light of me like this.

--------------------
moetsuki
moetsuki
motoranai yakusoku no basho
jouzu ni habataku watashi wo mitsumete
Post #136675
Posted: 26th November 2006 02:00

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Under the circumstances, chou or whoever you are, I'm not inclined to believe anything any of the four of you or any staff says till the CoNtest's over.

--------------------
Squenix games completed:

FFIII
FFIV
FFVI
FFVII
FFIX
FFX
FF Tactics: Advance 2
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest 8
Dragon Quest 11
Super Mario RPG
Post #136678
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: