CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
DNS Updates -or- "I Can't Get to the Site!"

Posted: 6th May 2005 19:50

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Tiddles and I have been in the process of moving CoN to a new box for the past week or so. We think the thing is just about ready to go, so we're going to fieldtest it by directing traffic to it starting tomorrow. We're planning on porting the DNS over early tomorrow morning on the American east coast, but that's contingent on me waking up, really.

Those of you who have been with us for a while are probably have a vague recollection of the routine. But here's how it will go.
  • We will first close the forums.
  • We will back up an absolutely current database for the forums, and copy that database to the new machine.
  • We will open the forums on the new machine.
  • We will move the DNS entry for cavesofnarshe.com to point to the new server.

Now, this is technobabble to most, but what it boils down to is this: for a while, the forums will be closed. They will appear to reopen for different people at different times, due to differences in ISPs updating their data. Everyone, assuming all goes well, should be back in no later than Monday morning EDT.

So, there's not much to discuss here, so just let me know if you need clarification on this move or if you want anything explained. It makes me feel like less a nerd if someone actually wants to know more.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #82518
Posted: 6th May 2005 21:20

Group Icon
Lunarian

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
Out of curiosity: what exactly is the advantage of moving to a new box? Or is it a procedure that just has to be done every now and then?

--------------------
Post #82522
Posted: 6th May 2005 22:03

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Djibriel @ 6th May 2005 17:20)
Out of curiosity: what exactly is the advantage of moving to a new box? Or is it a procedure that just has to be done every now and then?

This new area, should it work out to our satisfaction, will give us more room to grow. Additionally, it has a feature set that we once had on this machine but was removed midstream. Thanks to Tiddles' quick work, non-developers probably have never noticed the difference, but having these features back allow us better methods of running the back end of the site.

Really, it seems that it's something we just have to do now and then, but we do have our reasons when we do it. smile.gif

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #82525
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: