Former Staff Writer / Forum Moderator
During the course of the game, there are some items that you can only found at one place, one time, or very rare items, or even items that are so hard to get by other means than simple find that you absolutely don’t want to miss them when they present themselves. While this not a big deal for some players, there are others that feel that they must collect every little piece held in a game to really finish it. For your convenience, we regrouped all these items into categories for each disc of the game.
Every item listed in here can either: be obtainable only once, become unavailable after some story event, or be so rare or hard to get by other means that we urge you to get one when you can.
A very special thanks to BTB, who generously authorised the use of the “Lost-Forevers” section of his own FAQ for the purpose of creating this one. The transcript of his reply for our mail shows how friendly the community of the FF7 fan is:
“In the words of the late Kao Megura..."be my guest" ”.
- If you never fight at Fort Condor and let the opponent reach the top, you will never have the opportunity to get the Vagyrisk Claw from the boss battle.
- You can only get Shinra Beta armor by stealing the Marines on the Shinra Boat. (You can also get them on disc 2, dropped by Submarine Crew, in fact, but by then they're not very useful.)
- The Four Slots sold at Costa Del Sol will cease to be sold at some point during the game.
- Although not a lost-forever per se, the Ribbon found in the Temple of the Ancients can only be found again in the very late moments of the game, and with great efforts only.
- Although you can get another one at Mount Nibel, you don’t want to miss the Elemental materia held by the Mayor in the Shinra Building.
- Since these specific materia can’t be duplicated, you don’t want to miss the Enemy Skill materia inside the tank where Aeris and Red XIII were being held in Hojo’s lab, on the 68th floor of the Shinra Building.
- If you don’t collect the Ifrit materia before leaving the room where you fought Jenova-BIRTH, it will be lost forever.
- If you don’t collect the Ramuh materia before leaving the jockey’s room where Ester left you.
- The Added Effect can only be gotten once, during the Cave of the Gi event.
- The HP Absorb, MP Absorb and Leviathan materia are lost-forevers, seeing that the Wutai Sidequest will become unavailable during disc 2.
- The Luck Plus, Morph and Bahamut materia are lost-forevers that can only be gotten before a specific event during your trip to the Temple of the Ancients.
- The 2nd Turtle Paradise flyer located inside the Shinra HQ can only be read during your first visit (or else right before the end of Disc 2, but you only have these two chances).
- There are only three instances for you to learn the Trine enemy skill, and one of them is during Disc 1, when you fight Materia Keeper at Mount Nibel. Also, if you want to master each of the four Enemy Skill materia, you should also note that fighting Godo after you get the fourth is the only way to achieve that.
- The hidden Ribbon found inside Gaea’s Cliff can be permanently lost, although it’s still not a lost-forever per se.
- The Cursed Ring, although obtainable in two copies, is a lost-forever, because both copies (the one in Mideel and the one stealable from Ultimate Weapon) cease to be obtainable after the Weapon’s attack on Mideel.
- The Tough Ring can only be stolen from Reno (two occurences).
- The MP Turbo and Neo Bahamut materia can both be permanently lost if not gotten during your first trip inside the Crater.
- The Elemental materia hidden in Tifa’s piano can only be gotten if Tifa is the leader of your party, so you must go there before reaching Mideel.
- All four Huge Materia are lost-forevers, since you can fail each quest to get it. Furthermore, if you don’t get each Huge Materia, you will prevent yourself from getting the Bahamut ZERO materia, since you need the blue Huge Materia to get it (and since you also need the Bahamut and Neo Bahamut materia, it’s easy to miss the opportunity of getting this summon).
- The Leviathan Scales must be collected before leaving the underwater reactor under Junon. Furthermore, failing to get it will prevent you from getting the Steal as Well and the Oritsuru inside the Da-Chao fiery cave.
Nothing is a lost-forever during disc 3, but one thing may have become if you didn’t manage to collect other lost-forevers: your ability to obtain Master Materia (aside from the set you can get from the traveler in Kalm) depends on how many Huge Materia you collected, and your success in getting every materia needed for the creation of a Master Materia. Other than that, nothing to pass over, except maybe the legendary third Mystile.
Caves of Narshe
: Final Fantasy VII
©1997–2018 Josh Alvies (Rangers51)
Note: this printable version may not contain the entire contents of the full version. In particular, web forms are removed, and any links you could check for further information on the given data are not shown. You may check the URL at the top of this document for the full and up-to-date version.
All fanfiction and fanart (including original artwork in forum avatars) is property of the original authors. Some graphics property of Square Enix.