CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
E3 2018 Post-Showcase Updates from Square Enix

Posted: 12th June 2018 15:10

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Since Square Enix' video presentation for E3 yesterday, the company has been doling out a bit more information about the games contained within. There are still no enormous revelations here, but they have been working to fill in some of the gaps from what appears to have been widely viewed as an underwhelming appearance for this year's E3.

Kingdom Hearts III remains Square's big splash for this E3, with more information coming out in seemingly every presentation. Square Enix released the trailer that was shown after the Kingdom Hearts concert last weekend was shown to the wider public, showing most of the scenes of the Microsoft trailer as well as the new Ratatouille scene and a bit more Mickey than we're used to. You can hit the Kingdom Hearts YouTube channel to watch the trailer, but if you've been keeping up so far this week there's really not much you haven't already seen. In Sony's presser, yet another new trailer appeared, this time featuring an extremely realistic Disney world, that of the Pirates of the Caribbean universe. The main characters of PotC all appear in cinematics, and there's a long sequence of battle gameplay from the Pirates world. There are also some longer clips from Hercules, Rapunzel, Toy Story, Monsters Inc., and Frozen that were new in the trailer.

Sony also announced a Kingdom Hearts-themed limited-edition PlayStation 4 Pro, and an all-in-one SKU that will contain all of the HD remasters of previous KH games as well as Kingdom Hearts III. No price points were announced for either.

Also, heretofore-unknown game The Quiet Man got a little more detail after the screening of the trailer, as reported by Siliconera. The game will indeed be an action game that is intended to blend live action video with computer-generated graphics, and it's intended to be an intentionally short game, to be "completed in one sitting." This implies to me that they're planning to release it digitally-only, and that it might be a game intended to test the waters for future work. It also implies that the trailer might have actually been 100% in-game footage, with the live-action scene part of the actual game and not filmed just for the trailer.

Squenix also sent out an email blast last night with more information about the free download of The Adventures of Captain Spirit, coming on June 26. It explains that the central character in the episode is Chris, a ten-year-old with lots of imagination who wants nothing more than to be a superhero. The game appears to take place over a single Saturday in Chris' life, and involves something "extraordinary" happening to him. It can be preloaded on Xbox One now, and will be available for PS4 and Steam soon.
Post #214935
Posted: 13th June 2018 03:42

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. 
Still need to watch their showcase, but so far I've been rather underwhelmed this E3.

That being said, there have been a few gems that have caught my eye, and I'm intrigued with KHIII. I had almost forgotten how anime AF that series is until I saw their random trailers that seemed like an AMV from my youth!
It's rare I'll comment on the crispness of the graphics, but gosh, they are so tight in that game. Many of the seems were near comparable to the 3D films from which some characters were pulled.

--------------------
Games on the Go
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy: Four Warriors of Light
Baldur's Gate

Too much to play, so little time!

Greg
Post #214940
Posted: 13th June 2018 12:25

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Perigryn @ 12th June 2018 21:42)
Many of the seems were near comparable to the 3D films from which some characters were pulled.

I thought that as well, but for me it almost seemed like they were so close but yet far enough different that it was a little disconcerting, particularly in the case of Rapunzel. I suspect it wouldn't be noticeable after a few minutes playing, anyway.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #214942
Posted: 25th June 2018 17:32

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
Quote (Rangers51 @ 12th June 2018 15:10)
Squenix also sent out an email blast last night with more information about the free download of The Adventures of Captain Spirit, coming on June 26. It explains that the central character in the episode is Chris, a ten-year-old with lots of imagination who wants nothing more than to be a superhero. The game appears to take place over a single Saturday in Chris' life, and involves something "extraordinary" happening to him. It can be preloaded on Xbox One now, and will be available for PS4 and Steam soon.

This has now been released on Steam for anyone that's interested.
Post #215010
Posted: 26th June 2018 02:25

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Buy some strange coincidence, I have a gig that night.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #215011
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: