CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Help inside Lionel Castle

Posted: 18th September 2004 02:05

Dragoon

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I need help against Queklain in Lionel castle I made a seond save slot and am using File One (Regular) to train a bit or try and beat him without Mustadio (He died outside Lionel Castle), I really need some advice for this battle. In my opinion FFT seems like a really hard game to me, but I still like it. Also if I can get some help thanks, if not it is okay. "_"
Post #59840
Posted: 18th September 2004 05:18

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
I find that Monks work well against Queklain. I usually walk in their with a couple monks and punch him to death. Although, I don't really know what level you are (I usually level up Agrias before this time 'cuz she rocks). Anyways, I'd go with the monks
Post #59858
Posted: 18th September 2004 10:14

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
First thing first, you don't want Mustadio to be dead : this will prevent you later on to get special stuff (if you want to know what, check the spoiler text below. If not, just trust me on this : you want Mustadio to be in your roster of characters, even if you don't use him).

Possible spoilers: highlight to view
If Mustadio isn't with you, some events not directly related to the story will never happened. But these events will land you in the end 4 special characters, add some Zodiac stones in your pocket and let you get some unique pieces of equipment

So, aside from starting over at the Lionel Gate, what to do agains't Queklain.

First, spread your characters as far as you can at the beggining : Queklain will always start with a Nightmare spell, and can inflict you some severe status.

Second, do bring at least one Monk, like Kane said. Not only are they very efficient (before getting some of the best equipment, Monks are more effecient at dealing raw damage than the other fighter classes), but with Stigma Magic they will lift the nasty statuses done to your characters by Nightmare. If you have Two Swords, slap it in too.

Third, bring a Priest with Holy : he's weak against it, and will take a load of unavoidable damage from it.

The battle in itself will be easy with this setup : you can retake the disadvantage done by Nightmare easilly, then go and pound Queklain with all you got.

This post has been edited by Mr Thou on 18th September 2004 10:17
Post #59872
Posted: 18th September 2004 20:30

Dragoon

Awards:
I wound up beating him this morning and i beat him down with Holy Explosion and Flare (my luck to have it) which easily killed him, I did not use monks however.
Post #59939
Posted: 19th September 2004 05:09

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Well, as long as he's dead. Ah, the joys of Holy Explosion biggrin.gif
Post #60001
Posted: 19th September 2004 06:02

Dragoon

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Second place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. 
I was going to suggest equipping some Defense Armlets, which is the easiest strategy I can think of, but I'm glad to see you beat it without any help.

Good luck on beating the next Lucavi manifestation. wink.gif

--------------------
It's gonna be a glorious day
I feel my luck can change
Post #60003
Posted: 27th September 2004 00:36

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
He's weak against Titan.
Post #60737
Posted: 11th October 2017 14:29
Group Icon
Returner

I'm new here, everything is very interesting.
Post #213518
Posted: 4th December 2017 07:37

Cactuar

Awards:
I found this battle pretty easy. With or without Orlandu you can have Meliadoul break all of the equipment. Once all the knights are dead you can take your time and recover. I have a video but it's in Murond only.

--------------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/Greatermaxim

Terra - LV 99 - HP 9999 - MP 999

Equipment - - - Abilities

Illumina - - - - - Fight
Genji Shield - - Morph
Oath Veil - - - - Magic
Minerva - - - - - Item
Ribbon
Economizer
Post #214068
Posted: 4th December 2017 12:37

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Eagle Caller @ 4th December 2017 01:37)
I found this battle pretty easy.  With or without Orlandu you can have Meliadoul break all of the equipment.  Once all the knights are dead you can take your time and recover.  I have a video but it's in Murond only.

You're talking about something completely different. Nothing you talked about has anything to do with Lionel Castle and Queklain/Cuchulainn.

Edit: In an attempt to be somewhat useful in this old thread, I did this battle most recently last summer, or thereabouts. It is very nice to have Mustadio, as Mr Thou mentioned, as well as Agrias of course; both are good ranged attackers for the time. I think it's also important to have, if not actual Chemists, characters who can throw items in this battle.

I don't believe it's possible to spread your party enough for all of them to avoid Nightmare if it's cast immediately, but after the initial assault try to keep everyone as separated as possible to avoid getting demolished, as I also don't think it's likely at this point in the game to have any equipment capable of blocking the worst effects of that spell.

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 4th December 2017 12:57

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #214079
Posted: 8th December 2017 06:37

Black Mage

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Defense Rings are buyable before this battle and null the same statuses Nightmare inflicts. I choose not to use them because then, he'll favor petrifying people with Bio 2 or occasionally wreaking havoc with Bio 3 or his physical. Depending on your setup and available skills this may be worse.

Anyways, here's the PBF so that only 2 people can be hit by Nightmare on his first turn

C_XC
C___

Ramza goes anywhere; he'll be moved two spaces in front of character X at the start. Put either your least valuable character or one that depends on being at melee range to hurt things in position X. This is with no Defense Rings being used. With them, it becomes more troublesome to manipulate Queklain's AI.

Unless you're deploying a low HP team and he goes for Bio 3, Queklain will move 4 spaces in front of Ramza on the top of the steps and tag Ramza and unit X with Nightmare. Proceed from there however you like. Two main approaches to the battle are either blitzing him out quickly or piling on Slow and Speed Breaks until you're getting 2-3 turns or more to one of his. He has 9 Speed and will be happy to overwhelm you if it's not kept in check.

Post #214101
Posted: 8th December 2017 08:28

Cactuar

Awards:
I literally forgot to mention I knew Math Skill with enough spells at this point. Queklain kept going after a weak Agrias who'd revive from Chantage. I used Bolt 3 Calc with Rubber Shoes on us. It was very easy even taking into account Orlandu kept smacking him with Lightning Stab. Normally I'd avoid using Orlandu but it was in my flawless game. biggrin.gif

--------------------

Illumina - - - - - Fight
Genji Shield - - Morph
Oath Veil - - - - Magic
Minerva - - - - - Item
Ribbon
Economizer
Post #214103
Posted: 8th December 2017 13:40

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Eagle Caller @ 8th December 2017 02:28)
I literally forgot to mention I knew Math Skill with enough spells at this point. Queklain kept going after a weak Agrias who'd revive from Chantage. I used Bolt 3 Calc with Rubber Shoes on us. It was very easy even taking into account Orlandu kept smacking him with Lightning Stab. Normally I'd avoid using Orlandu but it was in my flawless game. biggrin.gif

You can't have Orlandu in a non-cheated game against Queklain, and it would be incredibly unlikely that you could have a Chantage (maybe it's possible to encounter pigs in random battles that early, I haven't looked into it that closely). You are either leaving that out or you are thinking of something else.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #214110
Posted: 13th December 2017 04:29

Black Mage

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
It is in fact impossible to have a Chantage that early in an unmooded PSX game. The fur shops to pick up a Chantage aren't open yet and random enemies will never equip one.

While it's not worth the grinding to do so, I am reminded of another wacky theorycraft strategy. 3 or 4 units with Counter Magic, Bolt spells, and Rubber Shoes. Surround the target and lock Bolt spells on it that will resolve before it moves. I don't think Queklain will survive the full chain of Bolt magic that will ensue so this is an "overkill for the sake of overkill" approach.
Post #214164
Posted: 14th December 2017 17:33

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Rangers51 @ 8th December 2017 13:40)
Quote (Eagle Caller @ 8th December 2017 02:28)
I literally forgot to mention I knew Math Skill with enough spells at this point.  Queklain kept going after a weak Agrias who'd revive from Chantage.  I used Bolt 3 Calc with Rubber Shoes on us.  It was very easy even taking into account Orlandu kept smacking him with Lightning Stab.  Normally I'd avoid using Orlandu but it was in my flawless game. biggrin.gif

You can't have Orlandu in a non-cheated game against Queklain, and it would be incredibly unlikely that you could have a Chantage (maybe it's possible to encounter pigs in random battles that early, I haven't looked into it that closely). You are either leaving that out or you are thinking of something else.

You're right. I'm thinking of Igros Castle. I use Lancers but you'll have to buy Spears or something the first time you get there with Agrias. Since Queklain doesn't block damage very well I don't see a reason not to use Knights or Lancers.

--------------------

Illumina - - - - - Fight
Genji Shield - - Morph
Oath Veil - - - - Magic
Minerva - - - - - Item
Ribbon
Economizer
Post #214174
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: