CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
is the start of final fantasy 4 to hard ?

Posted: 18th July 2010 13:43

Returner

well wat i was thinkin was cecil is all good but then u get people like rydia who when u get is at level 9 and hard to train and then tellah who is also quite weak then edward who is only a bit stronger but has no really good abilitys dry.gif
Post #186718
Posted: 18th July 2010 14:51

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Cecil the Paladin @ 18th July 2010 13:43)
well wat i was thinkin was cecil is all good but then u get people like rydia who when u get is at level 9 and hard to train and then tellah who is also quite weak then edward who is only a bit stronger but has no really good abilitys dry.gif

The game is still very easy then.

You just need patience and to level up to 8 or so with rydia.

Tellah's magics are a bit stronger than rydia at that point,but he severely lacks mana.

rydia is a overall better character in magic than tellah,the reason for this is because tellah is a temporary character,while rydia is permanent.

I think that edward is actually the worse character overall in the game in terms of attack,if he gets too low in hp he hides and this can be extremely frustrating when you are trying to heal him.

Another thing too about edward,his attacks are very very weak and his abilities are close to useless.

As for cecil:

Cecil is the second or third strongest character in the game.

During the final boss,he can hit the enemy with his attacks without worrying about the retaliations too much.

And if its the ds version or the gba version,cecil gets a weapon that is really overpowered.

When i used cecil and hit zeromus with the special weapon you get in the special dungeon,i was doing 14-15k for every time white spell hits zeromus.

Rydia's spell is also decent as well.

Rosa's staff that allows her to heal is also a bit overpowered.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #186719
Posted: 18th July 2010 18:26

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 18th July 2010 09:51)
During the final boss,he can hit the enemy with his attacks without worrying about the retaliations too much.

And if its the ds version or the gba version,cecil gets a weapon that is really overpowered.

When i used cecil and hit zeromus with the special weapon you get in the special dungeon,i was doing 14-15k for every time white spell hits zeromus.

What does this have to do with the actual topic of the post? He asks about the start of Final Fantasy IV and you post three sentence/paragraphs about Cecil in the endgame? It's off topic and unhelpful.

Anyway, the beginning of FF4 can be hard. And that's why it's good relative to some of the later games - it's hard, but it's hard in a way that isn't necessarily frustrating, but teaches you that you can't just mash buttons and walk through the whole game, either. In the first American version, it was just hard enough for me to not get ticked off as an eleven year old and walk away from it - sounds just about right to me.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #186723
Posted: 18th July 2010 19:49

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Yeah, FFIV is a game where you really do need to grind in order to stay competitive. Assuming you just recently got Edward, grind him up to about level 10 or 12 or so and he'll be a decent damage dealer, and all that grinding should get Rydia up to a good level as well. After that, try to gain 2 or 3 levels in each new dungeon and you should be alright, I still don't know how I made it as far as I did when I was a kid, I made it the Fabul Castle underleveled and in initial equipment because I didn't understand the concept of equipping new items...

--------------------
"If art doesn't risk upsetting expectations and challenging its audience, it can only stagnate."
Post #186732
Posted: 18th July 2010 20:08

Behemoth

Awards:
I actually enjoyed that, perhaps more than the gameplay of any other RPG, because it made u have to work hard and train people up. It's a game that really doesn't give you any slack.

--------------------
Post #186735
Posted: 18th July 2010 20:17

Returner

lol yeah it being hard adds to the game i guess happy.gif and anyway i think i overtrained biggrin.gif
Post #186736
Posted: 19th July 2010 03:39

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Cecil the Paladin @ 18th July 2010 16:17)
lol yeah it being hard adds to the game i guess happy.gif and anyway i think i overtrained biggrin.gif

I normally do to, but for some reason, it was still hard. The fiend you fight in the castle was really tough for me.

--------------------
Post #186753
Posted: 19th July 2010 08:06

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Rangers51 @ 18th July 2010 18:26)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 18th July 2010 09:51)

When i used cecil and hit zeromus with the special weapon you get in the special dungeon,i was doing 14-15k for every time white spell hits  zeromus.

What does this have to do with the actual topic of the post? He asks about the start of Final Fantasy IV and you post three sentence/paragraphs about Cecil in the endgame? It's off topic and unhelpful.

Anyway, the beginning of FF4 can be hard. And that's why it's good relative to some of the later games - it's hard, but it's hard in a way that isn't necessarily frustrating, but teaches you that you can't just mash buttons and walk through the whole game, either. In the first American version, it was just hard enough for me to not get ticked off as an eleven year old and walk away from it - sounds just about right to me.

uhh the reason i say this is because cecil and rydia are not weak characters ranger51.

My point is,that while the game has its difficulties,the part where you kill kranken is pretty easy in the easy type.

If he's playing the ds type which is japanese normal then the difficulty is high er.

Now if he says he's at the very end and is facing odin which can insta kill you if you don't kill him fast enough and doesn't know the tactics yet,i can say:yeah i can understand that being hard as this game is all about knowing what to do when you kill enemies.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #186760
Posted: 19th July 2010 11:57

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 19th July 2010 03:06)
Now if he says he's at the very end and is facing odin which can insta kill you if you don't kill him fast enough and doesn't know the tactics yet,i can say:yeah i can understand that being hard as this game is all about knowing what to do when you kill enemies.

Odin is not at the beginning, as you say yourself. Therefore, talking about the endgame has nothing to do with the actual thread. Perhaps you're just not sure what "beginning" means?

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #186766
Posted: 19th July 2010 12:05

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Rangers51 @ 19th July 2010 11:57)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 19th July 2010 03:06)
Now if he says  he's at the very end and is facing odin which can insta kill you if you don't kill him fast enough and doesn't know the tactics  yet,i can say:yeah i can understand that being hard as this game is all about knowing what to do when you kill enemies.

Odin is not at the beginning, as you say yourself. Therefore, talking about the endgame has nothing to do with the actual thread. Perhaps you're just not sure what "beginning" means?

Once again you avoid the whole argument:the beginning is only hard in the american type if you underlevel.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #186767
Posted: 19th July 2010 12:46

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 19th July 2010 07:05)
Once again you avoid the whole argument:the beginning is only hard in the american type if you underlevel.

Quote (Rangers51)

OK.

--------------------

Post #186771
Posted: 3rd August 2010 02:54

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
The beginning should be easy, based on what I remember. You just need to make sure you keep Tellah and Rydia in the back row. Keep in mind you can switch between 2-front-3-back and 3-front-2-back formations.

It should only be mildly frustating to keep reviving Rydia for her first few levels. After that, it's just a deal of keeping her HP high enough.

It's a bit more frustrating than the very beginning, of course, where you can just tell Cecil and Kain to Fight-command everything and be done with it. But it shouldn't be hard; it's more tedious than anything else.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #187164
Posted: 3rd August 2010 16:45

Group Icon
LOGO ZE SHOOPUF

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 16)
Keep in mind you can switch between 2-front-3-back and 3-front-2-back formations.

I didn't realize this right away either when I first started playing, you should definitely check to make sure you have your spell-casters in the back row. It really does help.

I definitely remember my Rydia dying a ton, but I also remember that it didn't take very much training in order to get her to a suitable level. So that's a plus, at least.

--------------------
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy V
Most Recently Beat : Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Favorite Game : Final Fantasy X

The newest CoNcast is up! Have a listen!
Post #187176
Posted: 4th August 2010 06:27

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Actually, I never figured that out until way later, and I had Tellah and Rydia in the front row all that time, lol. Since I'd only played CT and SMRPG before FFII (US), I didn't know what combat rows were. Only when I got Yang and read up on a walkthrough did I realized I could put Rydia in back and Yang in front.

Yeah, Rydia did die quite a bit, but thanks to ways of speeding up the game, it wasn't unbearable, just boring since I had to powerlevel her.

And interestingly, I never moved Cecil or used the 2-front-3-back formation the first (and so far only) time I've played this game. Even though I think there's a time later when it would be a good idea to use it (I think when the party is Cecil Edge Rydia Rosa FuSoYa).

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #187190
Posted: 13th August 2010 08:22

Cactuar

Awards:
It's a little difficult, but not frustratingly hair pulling impossible. Like others have said safety put Rydia in the back row and level her up a little bit before heading along to caves and meeting Edward. I think that they could of made Edward a longer stronger to make it a little more refreshing in the difficult level though, but I think they fixed that up well in the DS version.

--------------------
Currently playing Chrono Trigger !!
Currently looking forward to Don't Know.
Post #187329
Posted: 13th August 2010 17:52

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
It's challenging, but not out of proportion to the characters' abilities. If you spend a bit of time leveling up Rydia before going into the caves, it's actually kind of easy. Just keep her in the back row, and you can use Rod as an item for fairly decent damage if she's low on MP. And once you recruit Tellah, it shouldn't be any trouble at all.
Post #187334
Posted: 11th November 2010 02:28

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
its not that hard its quite easy i only had to grind like once and that was at the end

--------------------
[FONT=Impact][SIZE=14]BLAMO

you have been ninjad
Post #189292
Posted: 13th March 2011 01:28

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I think... If there's a Final Fantasy where levels have the GREATER IMPORTANCE... It would be Final Fantasy IV...
Look, I think on all other Final Fantasies I once looked a crazy doing the last boss on Level 1 or so... But NOT on Final Fantasy IV... Never...
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
NEVER!

You practically should be grinding all time... Do NOT use magicks with Rydia. Click on her Rod to do a "good" damage instead of wasting the low MP she have at the point...
Economize MP on Tellah to Cure or Cure2 and so...
And only attacks with Cecil... Never Dark Sword... Wastes too much pots lol

--------------------
While theres a tomorrow, my laziness is immortal
Post #193450
Posted: 26th March 2011 09:25
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
One of the key aspects of the beginning game is to know how to properly use Edward...which most people don't, hence his poor reputation.

First off, put him in the back row as soon as you get him. From what I understand, his harp's damage is not affected by positioning, but if it is...well, whatever, it's a moot point anyway. You're not supposed to use his attack to inflict massive damage so much as massive status ailments. His first harp cast sleep and the next casts charm with a higher rate of success than the actual spells in my experience and they are extremely useful if you hit the right enemies with them.

If you got the sleep harp, focus Edward's attacks on the back row enemies until they're asleep so they don't bother you while Cecil hacks away at the front. Once you have the charm harp, keep him focused on the physically powerful enemies until they've been charmed and then leave 'em to their own self-destruction.

This post has been edited by Narratorway on 26th March 2011 09:26

--------------------
Post #193789
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: