CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic New Poll
how can cloud hold the buster sword?

Posted: 7th May 2006 01:44

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I dont know how Cloud can hold that buster sword with his scronny arms?
Post #115562
Posted: 7th May 2006 01:53

Dragoon

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
o'k' first of all a thread like this was made already (or a debate in another thread that was off topic)

second this isn't the FFVII forum this is "your creations"
"your creations" is about showing the forumers drawings, sketches, fanfiction etc. (something you made)

--------------------
"Have you ever seen a baby do that before?"
Post #115564
Posted: 7th May 2006 01:53

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
1.) It's a game

2.) Cloud was infused with Mako Energy.

--------------------
Post #115565
Posted: 7th May 2006 02:03

Cetra

Awards:
If you're more concerned about a character being able to hold up a sword when they're drawn with scrawny arms than you are a dog with a flaming tail talking, it might be time to go outside and get some fresh air for a bit. smile.gif

--------------------
"Judge not a man by his thoughts and words, but by
the quality and quantity of liquor in his possession
and the likelyhood of him sharing."
Post #115568
Posted: 7th May 2006 02:58

Black Waltz

Awards:
Look, it never says the buster has to be as heavy as it looks, It could only be like 10 or 15 pounds, plus cloud's arms are not that "scrawny" Arms don't have to be big to be strong.

Here it looks like he could actually wield it
user posted image

I think so anyway.

--------------------
"You know that feeling you get when you're on a merry go 'round, and you want to jump off to make the spinning stop, but you know it'll suck when you land? I feel like that all the time"- Keno

"I stab my girl until I fall down"
-Yukari
Do you like Horny Bunnies?
Post #115574
Posted: 7th May 2006 03:25

Cetra

Awards:
Quote (No-Name @ 6th May 2006 21:58)
It could only be like 10 or 15 pounds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zweih%C3%A4nder

I would seriously doubt, to be usable, any sword would weight more than a dozen pounds. You have to keep this in mind: a sword made for battle is something you have to hold up and swing about MUCH longer than you would when showing off the l33t sword your parents ordered from eBay for your birthday to a friend.

It isn't the weight a sword so much as the leverage effect of the weight being distributed over its length. Cloud's sword looks to be about 4' in length, but HORRIBLY impractical because most of the weight would be in the blade, and very little in the hilt. Too unbalanced to be usable in any decent manner. That should be the problem you're picking at, and not how heavy it is.

But then again, considering how his hair stands up like that, we can safely infer that gravity has little impact on things in FF7.

Edit: Here's a kick-ass essay on weight and weapons. Scroll down to the pink box, particularly.

This post has been edited by Silverlance on 7th May 2006 03:29

--------------------
Post #115578
Posted: 7th May 2006 04:47

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Silverlance @ 6th May 2006 19:25)
But then again, considering how his hair stands up like that, we can safely infer that gravity has little impact on things in FF7.

My sentiments exactly biggrin.gif

I would subscribe to the Mako energy "suping" Cloud up.
Post #115581
Posted: 7th May 2006 08:31

Dragoon

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Second place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. 
Considering it's his weakest sword, I just pretend it's made out of aluminum. tongue.gif

--------------------
It's gonna be a glorious day
I feel my luck can change
Post #115591
Posted: 7th May 2006 18:02

SOLDIER

Awards:
I agree with Zeromus it is a game..iv seen worse lol.
And he was infused with mako
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
Jenova cells and since hes a clone Hojo coulda made him uber.But he did say he was a failed experiment...

--------------------
Kel'Thuzad: She is persistent. Reminds me of you, death knight.

Arthas:Shut up you damned ghost.

-Warcraft III Kel'thuzad comparing Arthas and Sylvanas Windrunner.
Post #115627
Posted: 7th May 2006 18:46

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Barret has a GUN on his ARM.
Vincent can transform himself.
Dio hasn't been arrested yet.

And that's why Cloud can hold the Buster Sword.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #115636
Posted: 7th May 2006 18:58

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
buster 1
buster 2

so it's between 4.5lbs and 13lbs so it's just very light and just a little awkward til you get used to it which he seems to be considering he can spin it above his head without cutting off any of his spikes or slipping and cutting off his own head

This post has been edited by mcclanahan on 7th May 2006 19:01
Post #115638
Posted: 7th May 2006 19:05

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
What?! You can't decide the Buster Sword size on what those people have! If I made a papier mache Weapon that is 3ft tall would you say that's how tall it is?

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #115642
Posted: 7th May 2006 19:13

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
swords online got exclusive rights to make them from sqenix along with the exact height and width that the sword was to be made at so it's actually square's saying that made them there size therefor they are the aproxamate weight
Post #115644
Posted: 7th May 2006 19:37

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
See More (Total 11)
Ok but it still doesn't mean that it is the equvilant. Swords Online wouldn't make something that nobody could carry or store in their house. Sorry I'm not trying to pick a fight I just don't like merchandise. tongue.gif

--------------------

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #115649
Posted: 7th May 2006 20:16

Cetra

Awards:
Quote (mcclanahan @ 7th May 2006 14:13)
swords online got exclusive rights to make them from sqenix along with the exact height and width that the sword was to be made at so it's actually square's saying that made them there size therefor they are the aproxamate weight

Sorry mate.

1- That's definately not the same size. Takes only a quick glance to tell that the real deal's longer and broader.

2- Even if it were, the blade is aluminium. There's a very obvious blue glare in the pic No-Name posted, meaning the real thing's most likely a steel allow. Quite a difference in weight!

3- Even if it were the same size and materials, that doesn't mean it's been made the same way. There's a reason why some decorative swords weight over 20 pounds. Because they're decorative and haven't been built to be light enough to use.

Edit
4- And... the second one is quite different from the first. I REALLY doubt SO were using official sizes, materials, and densities. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Silverlance on 7th May 2006 20:19

--------------------
Post #115652
Posted: 8th May 2006 14:53

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
A combination of bad plot devices and pesky wizards.
Post #115707
Posted: 8th May 2006 16:15

Group Icon
Wavey Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Third place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoN European Cup, 2008. 
Winner of the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
My cheap explaination? It's a more complex sword than it looks. What Cloud's somehow got a hold of is a modern blade built to be lighter. Only the cutting blade is made of metal, and most of it's bulk is merely a very dense plastic like kevlar. However, it's still a bit of a heavy bugger, but luckily, it's clear mako enhanced troopers are a bit like Space Marines and have increased strength.

My true explaination? Whoever decided on a huge comedy oversized sword is a bloody retard, and whoever equipped SOLDIER, Galbaldia, and most of SeeD is also a retard.

--------------------
"Only the dead have seen the end of their quotes being misattributed to Plato."
-George Santayana

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here..."
-Abraham Lincoln, prior to the discovery of Irony.
Post #115711
Posted: 8th May 2006 17:12

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
See More (Total 11)
I can't believe we're having this debate! There are starving kids in Africa. 150 children die every day in Darfur. Yet we're arguing about how Cloud can hold the Buster Sword? I reckon it's just part of the game like how Moogles can fly (and exist) and as I've said earlier - why Dio hasn't been arrested for exposing himself to children in the Gold Saucer.

user posted image

--------------------

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #115719
Posted: 9th May 2006 02:00

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Second place in CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
See More (Total 9)
First off, huge mistake.
Cloud was never directly infused with Mako, because he never made it into the SOLDIER program. He was given small amounts of Mako when he was infused with the Jenova cells by Hojo after the Mt. Nibel Reactor incident.

Considering in this world, there's a mystical life steam, little glowing orbs that let you summon dragons and ancient gods to totally ruin the landscape (only for it to magically reappear, totally unscratched), where Sephiroth can basically collapse the Universe in on itself multiple times and yet only little numbers appear to be the long-lasting damage, it's safe to say Cloud can carry a sword the size of a building.

Just like Sephiroth can use the Masamune, a blade easily twice as long as an average person. Ridiculous? Sure. But hey, it's a video game, reality and it's rules don't apply here.
Otherwise, I'd be casting Cure on myself every time I got hurt, rather than visiting a hospital and casting Fire 3 or Ultima on people who annoyed me, rather than feeding them my fists.

Don't worry so much about the specifics, just enjoy the fact that his having a really big sword probably means he has a really small....well, you get the point.

--------------------
Okay, but there was a goat!
Post #115770
Posted: 13th May 2006 20:13

Onion Knight

Awards:
Cloud is the games hero and it is a game. In games anything can happen, for instance you can carry the game on after you have died. You can go on for more than 48 hours without food. So Cloud can hold the buster sword.

--------------------
e ys Cloud Strife yht tu hud ihtanacdesyda sa
Post #116403
Posted: 13th May 2006 20:31

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
If any of you have seen Last Order ,

you'll recall that everyone but Zach had enormous difficulty in picking up the sword. I think the point of the sword is that it requires immense strength to wield.

You know, we all rag on Cloud for it, but we never hit Ryu Hayabusa in Ninja Gaiden. In the latest installment he carries around a sword immensely similar to Clouds.

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #116406
Posted: 14th May 2006 01:08

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Nice Dragon fire. Well that's giving insight into Zack's personal uh...personals. I don't know why Cloud would want to imitate that unless he had a bad run in with some Scissors monsters.

But yes, quite a lame question to ask. It's a game and can do what it wants. The Masamune is nearly 7 feet long. Just because its skinny doesn't mean crap. I have a 42 inch katana and that thing is heavy as heck. I also give the kudos to Sephiroth for that. And if you're going to ask a question like this, why not ask why the force from Barret's gun arm hasn't blown his arm away. smile.gif

--------------------
"Shut up. You're making me sober..."
-Reno

*Ryoko*
Post #116436
Posted: 15th May 2006 21:30

Onion Knight

Awards:
Hey maybe since Zack was Cloud's friend maybe he was showing cloud how to use it.

--------------------
Remember the days were mages were Black or White or Red and Black Belts were cool? Well i bet you still hate the thief till he became the Ninja. I bet you do now lol it's great to be back
Post #116587
Posted: 15th May 2006 22:39

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
I think my favourite reasoning for anything that happens in FFVII was given by the Advent Children director, I forget his name, himself in the behind the scenes commentary.

paraphrased: "With Final Fantasy VII, we essentially took an 'anything goes' approach."

And there we have it. It also carried over into the movie, for any who've seen it, you can vouch for it.

In terms of specifics of the world itself, I choose Mako infusion.

--------------------
Games on the Go
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy: Four Warriors of Light
Baldur's Gate

Too much to play, so little time!

Greg
Post #116592
Posted: 15th May 2006 23:56

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Submitted an idea for a podcast that was later recorded by the CoNcast team. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Dragon_Fire @ 8th May 2006 22:00)
First off, huge mistake.
Cloud was never directly infused with Mako, because he never made it into the SOLDIER program. He was given small amounts of Mako when he was infused with the Jenova cells by Hojo after the Mt. Nibel Reactor incident.

Quote (MogMaster @ 13th May 2006 16:31)

you'll recall that everyone but Zach had enormous difficulty in picking up the sword. I think the point of the sword is that it requires immense strength to wield.

First of all, what the heck is Last Order? Are there just so many FFVII spin-offs at this point that I can't keep track of them all?

Anyway...in response to what Dragon_Fire said:

That is very true. But also, if you remember, Cloud never actually wielded the Buster Sword until after he escaped from Hojo's lair. So after Cloud was infused w/ Mako, that's when he was able to pick up the sword for the first time, so it stands that Cloud's Mako/JENOVA cells, or whatever Hojo put in him during that experiment, strengthend him enough that he could use the sword. That would explain why Zack could use it, and why Cloud could use it after Zack died.

Within the context of the FFVII world, I'd say that's the best explanation. Otherwise, yes, irl it is a very impractical weapon. But c'mon, it's Final Fantasy. You can't expect everything to conform nicely to realism. If it did the game wouldn't be much fun, and certainly not much of a fantasy.
Post #116598
Posted: 16th May 2006 00:59

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I think it's quite a bit simpler than all of this:

It's a videogame, Cloud is a videogame character. The sword looks bad ass. That's why he has one. I doubt all the programmers at Square had a roundtable like this one discussing the physics and practical use in real life battles regarding the buster sword. Some of these forum topics make me laugh, so in that I should thank somebody. The in-depth explanations that everyone is trying to come up with is great though, but I doubt that Zach taught Cloud how to wield it so that's why they're the only ones who can.

--------------------
Feeling unknown
And youre all alone
Flesh and bone
By the telephone
Lift up the receiver
Ill make you a believer
Post #116606
Posted: 16th May 2006 02:31

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (TItoJackson @ 16th May 2006 00:59)
I think it's quite a bit simpler than all of this:

It's a videogame, Cloud is a videogame character. The sword looks bad ass. That's why he has one. I doubt all the programmers at Square had a roundtable like this one discussing the physics and practical use in real life battles regarding the buster sword. Some of these forum topics make me laugh, so in that I should thank somebody. The in-depth explanations that everyone is trying to come up with is great though, but I doubt that Zach taught Cloud how to wield it so that's why they're the only ones who can.

Aw nuts i wanted to say something like that. wink.gif

--------------------
It takes 2 people and a weapon
to commit a murder

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery,
today is a gift, thats why we call it the present.
Post #116615
Posted: 17th May 2006 08:16

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
its all so true as well.

--------------------
"you did something I saw as your suicide: you refused to an admin WITHOUT GIVING ANY PROPER REASON.
"

SilverMaduin 4th September-2006
Heh Heh... Rap music....
Post #116714
Posted: 17th May 2006 14:38
Onion Knight

Awards:
Quote (MetroidMorphBall @ 15th May 2006 23:56)
Quote (MogMaster @ 13th May 2006 16:31)

First of all, what the heck is Last Order? Are there just so many FFVII spin-offs at this point that I can't keep track of them all?

Final Fantasy VII Last Order is an official anime.

http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,3525,fn...order_fina.html
Post #116725
Posted: 18th May 2006 01:54

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (sweetdude @ 8th May 2006 11:12)
I can't believe we're having this debate! There are starving kids in Africa. 150 children die every day in Darfur. Yet we're arguing about how Cloud can hold the Buster Sword? I reckon it's just part of the game like how Moogles can fly (and exist) and as I've said earlier - why Dio hasn't been arrested for exposing himself to children in the Gold Saucer.

user posted image

I dont recall much police existing outside of Midgar to arrest Dio.

--------------------
"Everyone's on the ride of their life, for some it's just scarier than for others..."
"It's the things you dont mean to do that have the greatest impact on your life..."
Post #116765
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic New Poll