CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Rare battles

Posted: 13th March 2011 00:39

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
So, there's said to be five rare battles in the game, and I only record four:
1. Eleven Monks at Grog Hill
2. The ninjas at Araguay woods (like HORROR)
3. Hydras, Dragons and Behemots at Bariaus Hill
4. Mediators and Chemists at Germinas Peak ( they are loaded with rare guns, don't forget )
Anyone remember the fifth? =(

--------------------
While theres a tomorrow, my laziness is immortal
Post #193446
Posted: 13th March 2011 18:14

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
Most locations (if not all) have a rare battle, but a lot of them aren't that interesting.
The most interesting ones that you don't have listed would probably be the dragons at Mandalia Plains (must enter from the south to have a chance to trigger it), the samurai at Yuguo woulds (enter from Yardow fort city), and the calculators at Lenalia Plateau (enter from the south). Check out the Battle List FAQ on GFAQs for more info.

This post has been edited by ILoveMoombas! on 13th March 2011 18:15

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #193458
Posted: 14th March 2011 08:12

Dragoon

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Second place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. 
Yeah, there's a ton of rare fights to encounter. The first one I thought of was the one-on-one match at Zeklaus Desert between the knight and Minitaurus. I know Goryus has a guide on GameFAQs that lists all the monster formations, and would be helpful if you're looking to brush up on the subject.

--------------------
It's gonna be a glorious day
I feel my luck can change
Post #193474
Posted: 17th March 2011 16:36

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
It is true that one of the Samurais at Yuguo Woods carry a Masamune?

--------------------
While theres a tomorrow, my laziness is immortal
Post #193550
Posted: 21st March 2011 16:15

Dragoon

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Second place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. 
Nope. If you want to get a 'Mune, y'gotta swipe it from
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
Elmdor
or catch one from a high-level ninja. Given the ridiculous circumstances in getting more than one (the planets practically have to align), many people choose to dupe the sucker...and I can't blame 'em. If it's equipped, the skill can't be used; if it's not equipped, it'll probably break. Tch.

--------------------
It's gonna be a glorious day
I feel my luck can change
Post #193642
Posted: 26th April 2013 09:34
Returner

The ninjas in Araguay woods WILL throw Chaos Blades. Have catch skill on basically everybody in your party and farm away. Be patient.

Worst part is that Catch skill isnt 100% so you might end up eating a few before you finally get one. Be prepared to revive dead party members as soon as possible.

Also, this was only ever proven on the ps1 version. Dont know if it still exists on the ps3 download. JP glitch does though, so you never know.

Good luck.
Post #203197
Posted: 3rd May 2013 04:17

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Whether or not the Ninjas throw Chaos Blades (or any other of the many rare and/or miss-able weapons) is a function of their level, so in a random encounter it depends entirely on your level: if your levels are at least in the high 80s, you can start to encounter Ninjas who will throw rare weapons, and the odds become quite high when you're level 99. And catch operates according to your Brave, so if you have 97 Brave--and there's no reason not to--you can generally get by without getting hit. (It does, however, happen from time to time; in fact, you'll swear the damn game is rigged at times.)

My own strategy is to seek out the Ninjas (and Samurai) in HORROR [9th level of the Deep Dungeon]. I generally use Agrias or Meliadoul for the actual catching, but if you bring a couple invisible people, you can block the enemy route to your people at the top, and the Ninjas will be forced to Throw to hit the only available target: Agrias/Meliadoul. Meanwhile Agrias/Meliadoul picks off the Samurai.
Post #203251
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: