CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
The PSP translation.

Posted: 13th April 2010 16:07

Dragoon

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Something doesn't feel right about many of the characters names being changed. i just dont like that Rofel (ROFL) is called Loffrey and other names makes it confusing going through the Final Fantasy Wiki and having difficulty finding someone because the names have changed.

I'm sure they had some good intention with a new translation, but it just doesn't feel the same.
Post #185028
Posted: 13th April 2010 16:15

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
It does lose some of its charm, giving up all the terrible stuff of the original. However, I have found (despite not yet finishing my PSP game and not having picked it up since Thanksgiving or so) that I don't hate it nearly as much as I thought I would after playing the first few battles.

Maybe someday we'll cover both translations here. I would love to, there's no doubt.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #185031
Posted: 13th April 2010 16:17

Dragoon

Awards:
yeah no worries, I dont have a PSP but I read some FFT articles on that site and it makes me wish they had seperate articles for the original translation.

Not to mention Rofel is classic.
Post #185032
Posted: 13th April 2010 20:01

Engineer

Awards:
As I've said before, I love the new translation. I'll agree that some of the name changes are suspect (My biggest complaint isn't Loffrey, but the abominable Folmarv) but I think that the flavour of the text matches the story perfectly, and considering some of the terms they've used are so antiquated, it's clear that a decent amount of research was put into it. Since the story is nearly a video game version of Hamlet in its tone, I think the Shakespearian feel works very well. Tactics has always been one of my absolute favourite games, and I'm glad to see that now the text matches the epic nature of the rest of the game. Plus, it's the inner English nerd in me, but I can never fully hate something that has characters speaking in blank verse. FFXII is lucky the Occuria speak in tetrameter, because that melts my cold, black heart every time.

--------------------
"If art doesn't risk upsetting expectations and challenging its audience, it can only stagnate."
Post #185037
Posted: 20th April 2010 00:42

Cactuar

Awards:
well, for me, I thought the renames for some of the characters were superising and one thing I don't like is the sound being ether out of sync or being just plain terrible. (I really don't like how the summons sound, they sounded awful and often avoid using them because of it) but the extra quest and fights are worth the buy.
Post #185168
Posted: 20th April 2010 19:57

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (GamblingCat @ 13th April 2010 08:07)
Something doesn't feel right about many of the characters names being changed.

Agreed. I can't think of a single changed name I prefer to the original, especially in the case of Rofel.
Post #185186
Posted: 20th April 2010 20:50

Black Mage

Awards:
It's funny that the names got changed in this game, even though it's the guy who did the translation for FF6 Advance, and CTDS.

--------------------
Post #185187
Posted: 20th April 2010 22:07

Engineer

Awards:
Quote (Shinrin @ 20th April 2010 15:50)
It's funny that the names got changed in this game, even though it's the guy who did the translation for FF6 Advance, and CTDS.

Well, I don't know about the human names, but I know that the Lucavi names were changed because a lot of the originals were mistranslations, ie Cuchulainn and Adremmelech, which were actual characters in mythology and demonology.

--------------------
"If art doesn't risk upsetting expectations and challenging its audience, it can only stagnate."
Post #185188
Posted: 21st April 2010 00:30

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (trismegistus @ 20th April 2010 14:07)
Well, I don't know about the human names, but I know that the Lucavi names were changed because a lot of the originals were mistranslations, ie Cuchulainn and Adremmelech, which were actual characters in mythology and demonology.

Am I the only one who prefers the butchered translations even in those cases?
Post #185189
Posted: 21st April 2010 00:36

Engineer

Awards:
Quote (Kane @ 20th April 2010 19:30)
Quote (trismegistus @ 20th April 2010 14:07)

Am I the only one who prefers the butchered translations even in those cases?

Naw, a lot of people do. I remember when Media.Vision were going to re-release the original Wild ARMs with a new translation that actually, you know, made sense, and people gave them so much hell that they left in the original localization.

--------------------
Post #185191
Posted: 16th July 2010 21:57

Black Mage

Awards:
I am personally quite fond of the new translation. I found the cleaned up translation helped me follow the depth of plot much better than the choppy translation of the original, not because the original was unreadable, but simply because clearer English makes better sense to me.

As far as name changes go, I'm rather indifferent. Most of the names of the characters I use are the same anyway, so I'm not really bothered by it. Some of the ability names threw me off at first though, such as Yell being changed to Tailwind and Cheer being changed to Steel. It took me a bit to get used to what was what, but after getting used to the names I rather like them.

--------------------
--sbq92 <><
Post #186658
Posted: 19th July 2010 08:20

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I liked the new translation but I would have preferred the names to be the same. I will always call them by the original PSX names.

--------------------
Blah Blah Blah Tidal Wave Spam!
Post #186762
Posted: 3rd August 2010 04:19

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I just started playing through War of the Lions again, and I must say that I really enjoy reading the new dialogue. The story just seems far more seamless without all the translation errors jarring the dialogue. I still appreciate some of the old gems from the original translation (like the one in my sig), but I am glad they fixed the translations for the re-make instead of just porting the original. If you prefer the original translation, you can still get the port on the PSN.

--------------------
Wha? Thanks to me?
Post #187167
Posted: 8th August 2010 03:48

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I absolutely love the new translation. The dialogue and flow is much better and it's far easier to understand what's going on.

--------------------
//www.rpgmaker.net/
We make games. Period.
Post #187284
Posted: 22nd October 2010 18:44

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Now that I've finished the game I must say that the new translation really improved the final few battles, ending, and epilogue. Like Tryscal said, it's much easier to understand what's happening and, while there's still a bit of ambiguity, it does help the ending considerably.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #188632
Posted: 25th November 2010 07:14

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I'm a strong proponent of the new translation. The original translation was just sloppy and rushed--there's little excuse for rendering something as well-known as Yggdrasil as Yugodorasil, and no excuse for rendering Breath as Bracelet, which didn't even make sense. Lune Knight versus Rune Knight I at least get where that came from, but still...

The new version correctly translates the majority of the items, skills, errand rewards, etc. The story is much clearer and easier to understand because it was translated consistently across the whole game. I rather like the "medieval" way that it is written, although I get why it doesn't grok with a lot of people.
Post #189934
Posted: 15th December 2010 19:29

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I never played the psp version, but my brother did and he said it sounded like a badly written attempt at using old english and it just sounded stupid, like they were just trying too hard to make it sound medieval but failing at it or something.

--------------------
FFVA
SCC: Party of Thieves, stuck at Byblos
Post #191188
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: