CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Topic Closed New Topic New Poll
Microsoft nets Rare

Posted: 27th September 2002 02:17
Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
That's right, Perfect Dark 2, coming to a Microsoft XBox near you.  Well, not necessarily, but it's for sure that it won't be coming to GameCube.

Microsoft paid a scant $375 million for the Nintendo gaming powahouse, known for the Donkey Kong Country games, Goldeneye, and Starfox.  (Thank God that they squeezed out Star Fox Adventures before the selloff/sellout)

Score another one for Emperor... I mean, Mr. Gates.

--------------------
I close my mouth now and I scream,
Open the door, there's nothing worth redeeming
I saw your face before in rough,
You should wait around a while, your body's bound to turn up.
So low for how high?
-Matt Good, "Running for Home"
Post #2755
Posted: 28th September 2002 00:39

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! IT CANT GO TO XBOX. BAD BAD BAD BAD, MR GATES IS CHEATING. BAD.
Post #2783
Posted: 28th September 2002 00:44

Crusader

Awards:
Donkey Kong Country is one of the best platforms games ever. Rare will be missed.

--------------------
Lou: There's a couple of guys fighting down at the aquarium, Chief.
Wiggum: Do they still sell those frozen bananas?
Lou: I think so.
Wiggum: Let's roll.
Post #2784
Posted: 28th September 2002 01:53
Engineer

Awards:
good, maybe there'll be some good games on x-box besides halo.

perfect dark2 should be awsome, considering what Rare did with the crappy N64  They and Nintendo were about the only companies who could make anything decent for it.

--------------------
"Number One, I order you to go take a number two."
Post #2786
Posted: 28th September 2002 22:13

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
No...no...NO!!!  

That being said, it's sad to see that even Rare can sell out to the Dark Lord of the video game industry.  How?  Why?  I have no idea.  But the thought of Perfect Dark on the X-box disgusts me to no end.  No more Donkey Kong.  No more StarFox.  Or, horror of horrors, they'll try to release some pathetic semblance of either series on the accursed Microsoft platform.

It's kind of sick how a mega-corporation can so easily replace talent, experience, and innovation with cold, hard cash.  I'll miss the long hours I spent with Rare games.

Alas, Joanna Dark, we barely knew ye...

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #2811
Posted: 29th September 2002 23:17
Black Mage

Awards:
I know why nintendo sold their 49% of Rare! Because of that stupid new president!
(Yamauchi is gone, right? Or is he still here for a little while?) ^_^
Post #2878
Posted: 30th September 2002 01:14
Engineer

Awards:
that stupid new prez is the reason why Square games are showing up on GBA.  

nintendo makes more money off of licencing than actually making games.  and since rare is, or was, about half nintendo's, well you get the picture.

--------------------
Post #2883
Posted: 30th September 2002 05:16
Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (Super Moogle @ 28 Sep. 2002, 17:13)
No more StarFox.  

That is not true! StarFox is a trademark of Nintendo, and they and Namco are developing another StarFox game.

--------------------
Fear the Minstrel Boy, for he sings.
Post #2917
Posted: 30th September 2002 05:25

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::sniffle:: I spent my boyhood days playing donkeykong starfox ff and megaman!!! how dare they steal the kongs! i can't even afford an X-box and the only reason i would would be for dk. Curse you gates!!! I'm gonna send you hatemail until you give Donkeykong back!!!!! >_<  >_<  >_<

Moderator Edit
I just edited this so it wouldn't hose up the page width.

--------------------
This one time I punched a bear in the forehead TO DEATH! I still have the scars on my chest. I am the manliest man that ever did man.

League: Z3roHawk
Steam: Zero_Hawk
Wii U: Zero_Hawk
FF14 - Goblin - Zero Hawk <Fiend>
Post #2918
Posted: 30th September 2002 15:49
Black Mage

Awards:
They didnt steal donkey kong. That is Nintendo's. It has been since ... 1980 or something? That game where you have to save the princess from donkey kong.
Post #2933
Posted: 30th September 2002 16:49
Engineer

Awards:
donkey kong is like the hobbit of the mario series.  i don't think rare has the rights to DK anymore, but then again I think rare might have owned everything else in the Donkey Kong Country series.

--------------------
Post #2935
Posted: 30th September 2002 19:16
Engineer

Awards:
To the best of my knowledge, Rare took the copyrighted character of Donkey Kong and created the DKC series based on that, meaning that XBOX DKC games would be impossible - Nintendo would sue them over copyright laws in a heartbeat.  This may also hold true to Perfect Dark, Starfox, etc... (Does anyone know for sure?  These characters/games were originally created by Rare...)  That doesn't mean, however, that Rare can't produce games using a similar engine to the games created before.
Oh well.  Makes me glad I haven't bought into the whole "Next-Gen console" thing.  I'll stick to my N64, SNES, or PC, thank you very much.

--------------------
So low for how high?
Post #2946
Posted: 30th September 2002 20:01

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
P. Dark on Xbox looks awful. Awful in the fact that it looks all cartoony now. I'm sure the actual game will be fun like the original was, but the cartoony look does NOT fit the game.
Post #2952
Posted: 30th September 2002 21:43
Engineer

Awards:
Eh?  You mean there really IS going to be one?

--------------------
So low for how high?
Post #2959
Posted: 1st October 2002 00:12
Engineer

Awards:
Quote (Rubicant @ 30 Sep. 2002, 15:01)
P. Dark on Xbox looks awful. Awful in the fact that it looks all cartoony now. I'm sure the actual game will be fun like the original was, but the cartoony look does NOT fit the game.

since when have rare games NOT been cartoony?

--------------------
Post #2964
Posted: 1st October 2002 01:45
Engineer

Awards:
Quote (mael_duin @ 30 Sep. 2002, 19:12)

Have you PLAYED Perfect Dark?  How about GoldenEye?  

Although for the most part, of course, you're right.  But we're talking about Perfect Dark becoming cartoony, which is quite the change from the gritty sci-fi game on the N64...

--------------------
So low for how high?
Post #2972
Posted: 1st October 2002 09:17

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
I'd hardly call it "gritty".  Look at Elvis the Comedy Alien ™...

But I take your point, cartoony it wasn't, and cartoony it shouldn't be.

I'm also interested on where the rights lie regarding different characters and concepts.  Clearly, Nintendo originals such as Starfox and DK still belong to Nintendo, whereas characters from Rare's self-published Perfect Dark belong to Rare.  But what about, say, that Donkey Kong 3D model used since DKC?  Nintendo-produced games such as Mario Kart always credited Rare for allowing them to use it, so could the modern DK look now disappear into oblivion, owned wholly by noone?  It seems more logical that Rare would sell to Nintendo any related assets such as that, but still, it's a thought.
Post #2986
Posted: 1st October 2002 15:01
Black Mage

Awards:
Ithink that, it is just a lot of work when i was happy with Rareware being for nintendo stuff :(
Post #2990
Posted: 1st October 2002 22:56
Engineer

Awards:
Quote (Edwin Odeisseron @ 30 Sep. 2002, 20:45)
Quote (mael_duin @ 30 Sep. 2002, 19:12)

Have you PLAYED Perfect Dark?  How about GoldenEye?  

Although for the most part, of course, you're right.  But we're talking about Perfect Dark becoming cartoony, which is quite the change from the gritty sci-fi game on the N64...

have you played them?

both games are for cartoony,  more due to the limitations of the N64 than anything else, really.

the least cartoony game they've ever made has to be the old DKC games on the SNES

--------------------
Post #3004
Posted: 1st October 2002 23:13
Onion Knight

Awards:
FPS-type games should never never never never never be cartoony.  It violates some unwritten developer's code of conduct or something along those lines.

I hope Microsoft doesn't try to make some cheap StarFox or DK clone.  But then, in some ways, I hope they do.  If they don't, gamers will be happy because we'll all know Microsoft isn't capable of making such good games.  If they do, then they get their pants sued off by Nintendo and gamers will be happy because we'll all know Microsoft isn't capable of making such good games. Sounds to me like it's a win-win kind of thing. :E

--------------------
Visit my useless site!
http://areldyb.tripod.com
Post #3007
Posted: 2nd October 2002 18:39

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (mael_duin @ 1 Oct. 2002, 17:56)
have you played them?

both games are for cartoony,  more due to the limitations of the N64 than anything else, really.

the least cartoony game they've ever made has to be the old DKC games on the SNES

I think it really depends on your personal definition of "cartoony" here.

Seriously, though, I'm very disappointed that Rare would fall so easily.  I guess X-box owners have something to be happy about, since they just might get a decent game every other year (if you factor in Rare's Bioware-esque penchant for delaying games untill Kingdom Come).  But I, for one, am not happy.  Microsoft doesn't deserve that kind of quality software, considering the reams of trash they've been pouring out as of late.

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #3050
Posted: 2nd October 2002 20:32
Onion Knight

Awards:
Hasn't Microsoft been giving everybody buggy junk that they call "software" since Day One?

--------------------
Visit my useless site!
http://areldyb.tripod.com
Post #3053
Posted: 2nd October 2002 20:45

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Just as a notice, Microsoft bashing is not the point of this topic. Please keep that in mind.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #3054
Posted: 2nd October 2002 23:41

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
Microsoft Sucks.

Moderator Edit
And you're not funny. Kindly do not mess with me tonight.

Post #3056
Posted: 3rd October 2002 05:12
Engineer

Awards:
funny, if I wern't broke at the moment, I'd bet that most of you are running windows right now.

this reminds me of when the PSX first came out.

--------------------
Post #3066
Posted: 3rd October 2002 14:53
Black Mage

Awards:
I still dont like the sony x_x
I am running windows, but i have more macintosh computers in my house than windows.
Post #3070
Posted: 3rd October 2002 16:23

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
OK, this topic is dead. Thank you to all who participated in killing it.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #3071
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Closed New Topic New Poll