CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Warcraft three

Posted: 4th August 2002 05:57

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I was wondering if anyone else played warcraft three. I do. I can't get enough of the game. My name is Youspirit and I'm in the Azeroth sectin.
Post #621
Posted: 4th August 2002 15:32

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
A friend of mine by the name of ChrisMog2 is into WC3 big time. If you want, you can throw him an e-mail at [email protected].
Post #639
Posted: 4th August 2002 17:59
Engineer

Awards:
I play, at 2- 6 in the morning after i get off work. ':('

Name's Mael_Duin <gasp from the peanut gallery> ':lol:'

--------------------
"Number One, I order you to go take a number two."
Post #649
Posted: 5th August 2002 07:48
Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
well i played it and i cant get it out of my mind, i only tried out orcs and humans, i didnt want to try the other two until i get the game.

well i have the money but im just to lazy to bike over to the store and buy it (the nearest store that sells it is like 10 miles away)  '^_^'

--------------------
Why do kamakazi pilots wear helmets?
Post #702
Posted: 5th August 2002 21:07

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
Finally got it 3 days ago. It's awesome. Right now, I'm just playing the single player missions. I gotta learn how to play before I play online, ya know? I'm still The_Quickster though, and I play in Azeroth(east).

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #726
Posted: 6th August 2002 05:00
Returner

Awards:
I love it to death, but I haven't started playing online yet.  Still going through the single player campaigns - about halfway through the orc bit.  I bet I'm going to love the night elves though.

Hey, has anyone else seen the mini-game where you have to save villagers from rampaging sheep?  It's great.

--------------------
"Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself."
Post #749
Posted: 7th August 2002 04:36
Engineer

Awards:
I got the game the day it came out, and finished the single-player missions three days later.  I love this game.  For some reason though, I haven't played it for a couple weeks.  Oh well, I'll get back into it in another week or so.

--------------------
I close my mouth now and I scream,
Open the door, there's nothing worth redeeming
I saw your face before in rough,
You should wait around a while, your body's bound to turn up.
So low for how high?
-Matt Good, "Running for Home"
Post #786
Posted: 7th August 2002 20:00

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
Lol, you know what i just realized? As I've been playing through the orc missions, I could have been building watch towers instead of a bunch of crappy burrows filled with peons. Those suck pretty bad btw. Is there any advantage to having more than one peon in there? Cuz it sure doesn't seem like it.

--------------------

Post #791
Posted: 7th August 2002 20:33
Engineer

Awards:
I've found that a couple of burrows in front of 4 or more towers is pretty opposing. (untill the siege tanks come calling that is)

I'm wondering what build orders everyone uses.

--------------------
Post #794
Posted: 8th August 2002 14:52
Engineer

Awards:
I don't play Orc, but I've heard 4 peons gives you a much better fire rate.  As far as I know, burrows are as strong as towers, but with 1 less defense so they take less damage.  They're also a good way to protect your workers during an invasion.... they're the worst thing to lose.

Because I'm not too good with undeads, I play Wyrm Rush... build the bare minimum at the start, and work my way up to Boneyard (which doesn't take as long as you might think).  Then build two boneyards, train the wyrms, and start kicking ass.

With Night Elves, I normally play around with Priestess of the Moon and Archers for a little while, so I can beat things up right away, and then move on to Hippogryphs, Ballistae, and a few Huntresses.

With humans, I use Archmage... I move my way up to knights (who doesn't?), a few gyrocopters, and a few gryphons.  

With orcs, I get tauren ASAP and hope my allies are good enough to save me from a major butt-whoopin'.

--------------------
So low for how high?
Post #820
Posted: 10th August 2002 16:33

Dragoon

Awards:
See More (Total 10)
Now is it just me, or does Mannoroth look one hell of a lot like Ultimate Weapon?

--------------------

Post #920
Posted: 11th August 2002 21:16
Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
I just got it yesterday, but it runs slow on my mom's computer, is it because I installed it wrong? well i DID play it but it was running like super slow. Im glad it still has heros from WC2 like grom hellscream and uther lightbringer.

--------------------
Why do kamakazi pilots wear helmets?
Post #965
Posted: 11th August 2002 23:33
Treasure Hunter

Awards:
i played it for abt 10 min at Fry's electronics and was hooked.  I'm too cheap to actually *buy* it, though, so i'll wait until one of my friends gets it and burn a copy.

--------------------
i see you've set this time aside to humiliate yourself in public.
Post #975
Posted: 16th August 2002 17:44

Dragoon

Awards:
See More (Total 10)
Alright, I just finished the game. Here are my thoughts:

SPOILER ALERT!  Highlight to view:
For starters, where the hell's the epilogue? I mean, what happened to Arthas and the Lich King, Illydian, and everyone in the game? You get to see Archimonde getting eaten up by wisps, but who knows what happened after that! And how come in the book they're talking about Kil'jadean being the leader of the Burning Legion, when he's not even mentioned in the game? I might as well beat that last level on hard, but to have an epilogue then is just asinine.

The game was great though. Now it's time to play online i guess.

--------------------

Post #1144
Posted: 16th August 2002 18:53
Engineer

Awards:
The story is suposed to be continued in World of Warcraft, or an expansion, a la Brood War.

--------------------
Post #1147
Posted: 20th August 2002 21:33
Engineer

Awards:
Yeah, WoW is set something like 7 years later, so there will be story tie-ins, and inevitably Blizzard will release an expansion pack which will answer most "what happened next" questions, but then of course open up new ones.  Anyone who's played Brood War will agree with me when I say...

What happened to Kerrigan?  What about Lt. Duran's mutants?  Do those nasty Zergies ever get wiped off the face of the galaxy?  I'm glad that at least the Admiral dude's brains are littering the floor of his Battlecruiser, though.

--------------------
So low for how high?
Post #1380
Posted: 20th August 2002 22:41

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
This is a big ass spoiler, you might not've even known about it: Have you seen the extra stage? If you beat the last Zerg level in 5 or 10 minutes (I can't remember..), you get a special ending stage: You play as Zeratul in a Terran encampment with 4 Dark Archons. You gotta fight your way through the stage and get to these stasis cells... Inside one of them is a Zergling and the computer says something like: "Genetic Research Complete". The second one you come to has some Protoss in it and the computer says the same thing. As you fight your way to the end you come to the ultimate cue for Starcraft 2.... "Protoss-Zerg Genetic Hybrid Complete" or something or another. The Terrans genetically combine Protoss and Zerg! If you can't beat the Zerg stage, use "poweroverwhelming" to get inviniciblily and then hurry and kill. It is very interesting, indeed.
Post #1387
Posted: 20th August 2002 23:00
Engineer

Awards:
Tommah, that was what I was talking about, with Lt. Duran.  It creates a whole lot of new questions about the future of the galaxy, and such.  Oh, and it was the second-last zerg mission, not the last.

--------------------
So low for how high?
Post #1388
Posted: 21st August 2002 18:19

Dragoon

Awards:
See More (Total 10)
Yeah, and Duran was talking about how he worked for someone FAR more powerful than the zerg. Oh well.

Expansion set, yay.

--------------------

Post #1451
Posted: 6th September 2002 00:32

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Back to Warcraft: I finnaly won enough games on bnet to have a picture for my person! I rock!
Post #2102
Posted: 6th September 2002 01:20
Engineer

Awards:
You mean, a pic besides a peon?  What is it?

I would have one, but I only play random, so it takes longer to get the dragon.

--------------------
So low for how high?
Post #2107
Posted: 6th September 2002 02:08

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
[spoiler]
1. Oh well that is was the second to last, you knew what I ment :-P.

2. I'm assuming this far greater power is nothing else but the DUN DUN DUNNNNN.... Xel'Naga! Starcraft 2! Starcraft 2! Starcraft 2!

3. Warcraft hasth become boring for me, for some odd reason. I played it nonstop for a week, and tired of all the mental work I had to put in all the battles... I'll play it again someday, for it is such a wonderful game.
Post #2108
Posted: 7th September 2002 00:34
Engineer

Awards:
Quote (FraudulentTommah @ 5 Sep. 2002, 21:08)
[spoiler]
1. Oh well that is was the second to last, you knew what I ment :-P.

2. I'm assuming this far greater power is nothing else but the DUN DUN DUNNNNN.... Xel'Naga! Starcraft 2! Starcraft 2! Starcraft 2!

3. Warcraft hasth become boring for me, for some odd reason. I played it nonstop for a week, and tired of all the mental work I had to put in all the battles... I'll play it again someday, for it is such a wonderful game.

Actually, if you read the Starcraft manual, the Zerg actually kicked the Xel'Naga's asses, and that was BEFORE they had assimilated any races other than those on their own planet.  

I am in the same situation with WCIII... I love this game, but it's just too hard to be good at it.  You need to be quick and smart, and be able to watch everything at once.  I can't micromanage worth crap, it's always been my problem with real time strategy games.

--------------------
So low for how high?
Post #2126
Posted: 7th September 2002 15:45

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I have yet to purchase Warcraft III, but I do find it immeasurably entertaining.  I like the Humans, Orcs, and Night Elves alike, though I could never quite get the hang of those stupid Undead.  The humans are still nicely balanced, of course, and the Night Elves, while horrible early on, can become a terrifying power late in the game.  The Orcs are still the cheapest, though, meaning that they are the most powerful.  (At least for me.)  In the words of the immortal Dom, "When your buildings blow up for no reason at all, you can bet it's Goblin Land Mines!"  ;)

I'm still eagerly awaiting Starcraft II, since I was always such a big fan of the first.  The Protoss are my weapon of choice, though I have a feeling that might change...

Because Duran's Protoss-Zerg hybrids are going to be SO cool!

The Xel'Naga influence is an impossibility, since they were driven into extinction by their "ultimate" creation, the Zerg.  (This is explained in a series of backstories which come with the manual for the original game.)  I never liked the Zerg at all, though I must grudgingly admit that their super-cheap swarming abilities are more than formidable.

Once again, I'm a staunch Protoss advocate, since Carriers and Dark Temps hurt so much.  However, I like the Terrans, as well, though playing as the UED in the expansion wasn't very fun for me.  It must be noted that the Starcraft champion of the world prefers the Terran, though I'd imagine he can play as any one of the three.  On a side note, Ghosts rock.

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #2142
Posted: 7th September 2002 19:23

Dragoon

Awards:
See More (Total 10)
Quote (Super Moogle @ 7 Sep. 2002, 10:45)
and the Night Elves, while horrible early on, can become a terrifying power late in the game.  The Orcs are still the cheapest, though, meaning that they are the most powerful.  

Well, I haven't played since school started (Tuesday), but I'm not really bored with it per se. I just have better things to do I guess. Anyways...

Night elves can be quite good in team games if you focus fire with your archers and with a potm. Also, if you just skip arches and if your opponent isn't expecting it, a quick hunt rush can run someone right over. I don't like to personally, but if you're gonna mass hunts, at least upg and get moon glaive (*sigh* some people are so pathetic).

And orcs are pretty expensive IMO. At least for the early to mid game.

I <3 Night Elves. Runner-up is orc. But I wanna try and get better with humans. Undead is another story. I've been watching replays, but they're still a lost cause for me. I just can't get the resources together to actually make somewhat of a formidable force. I never liked sending ghouls and skipped straight to tier 2 with crypt fiends etc. , but I now know I that's rush suicide. And I'm just bad with UD upgrades I guess.  :(

--------------------

Post #2150
Posted: 7th September 2002 21:21

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:

Naaah, they just killed the fleet of ships that was there. I don't think the Xel'Naga would move their whole civilization to each planet they want to artifically inhabit. I know they kicked their asses, but it was a back attack of sorts, so it put them in advantage. The Xel'Naga can also develop their technology as time passes.. so you never know.
Post #2157
Posted: 8th September 2002 03:10

Dragoon

Awards:
See More (Total 10)
That's the point. In the book it says they DID move their entire civilization from planet to planet.
Although it's repetitive and stale in sequels, they'll probably make up a story as to how some way, there were still some surviving Xel'naga somewhere or something. I tire of stories, movies, and games alike in which the first one says the guy is dead, but then in the 2nd, they somehow survive and come back.  :shakeshead:

--------------------

Post #2174
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: