CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Look Out for Email Problems

Posted: 16th February 2017 22:22

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
If you're a new or seasoned CoN member, you may or may not know that we sometimes send you email. Specifically, we will definitely send you email when you first sign up so we know you're using a real email address, but if you choose, we also send mail for personal messages received, updates to threads for which you've subscribed, and the rare email blast to announce a new feature or contest or something else that we hope is interesting.

It came to my attention a little bit ago that some people weren't getting these emails due to a server config change that I didn't realize had happened - that's been fixed now, and those emails should be flowing. But if you've signed up recently and didn't get the chance to confirm your account, or you missed some other emails, please reach out to me directly at [email protected], or at our Facebook or Twitter pages, or CoNchat and I will get it fixed. All I need is your username and the email address you have tied to your account!

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #212225
Posted: 20th February 2017 18:35

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
eh.gif I wondered about that myself. I guess I should have said something.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212246
Posted: 20th February 2017 20:48

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Yes, everyone should say something if they run into something weird, in email, in the forums, on the site, whatever. While a site the size of ours should have some level of repeatable automated testing, I don't have the bandwidth to ever actually do something like that, so some bugs will never get found unless someone tells me.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #212253
Posted: 20th February 2017 23:41

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
I just assumed you didn't send out many emails. That and I don't get many PMs. biggrin.gif
Post #212255
Posted: 21st February 2017 17:13

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Cefca @ 20th February 2017 17:41)
I just assumed you didn't send out many emails. That and I don't get many PMs. biggrin.gif

Both of those are likely true, and it's hard to see if it's truly a deep problem because of them! A couple things that I think will help people engage with the site and also help me are these:

1. If you're reading this, please make sure your email address is up to date in your account. I haven't changed my primary address(es) in many, many years, but that's not common. If you care enough to come to the site, make sure we can get a hold of you!
2. Subscribe to threads that you participate in. Fanart submissions, for instance, default to subscribing to comments so that the artists, many of whom don't come here often, can see when folks are trying to interact with them. I've never made that the default at the forums, but you all should. smile.gif

--------------------

Post #212280
Posted: 21st February 2017 19:42

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I didn't start foruming until 2010-11...I kind of didn't know what email notifications were until a certain point. I'd never heard anything about CoN's and to be honest, I simply thought that you'd somehow decided not to bother with it. I am not a person who explores websites that much. I know there's supposed to be this big "Power User" attitude when it comes to computers, but I simply hash out what I can gather from trial and error and reading things when I can get a quiet moment (not often in my house, until now)...

Hem. I'm getting email notifications of subscriptions now. The fix you applied has worked for me.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #212287
Posted: 21st February 2017 19:52

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that people should learn to be web devs just because I'm lazy and/or overwhelmed, heh. But I can say that while I don't do everything right, if anything does seem strange with your CoN experience in any way that might be technological, it's definitely not because I didn't bother with it - I take a lot of pride in the tech stack of this site and try my best to not leave things nonfunctional if I know they exist.

--------------------

Post #212290
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: