CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Fan Art Trouble

Posted: 19th November 2011 21:36

Lunarian

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I'm trying to submit a piece of fan art and can't. When I click submit it takes me to a blank white screen and I can't complete the process. I'm using the same version of Firefox that I uploaded my last piece with a couple of days ago and I've tried it from my laptop and a friend's desktop. Any idea what might be going on, guys?

--------------------
Climhazzard is the timeless evil robot who runs some of the cool stuff at CoN (mostly logging chat, since there are no quizzes at the moment), all the while watching and waiting for his moment to take over the world. -Tiddles
Post #198183
Posted: 19th November 2011 22:07

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Email me the file and I'll see if I can replicate the issue. I seem to recall another artist having an issue like this pretty soon after the current system went live, but I think that ended up being the result of a corrupted image file. We shouldn't ever be dying out without showing you a useful error message, but something seems to be getting in the way of that this time.

My contact info is on the staff page if you need it.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #198184
Posted: 20th November 2011 00:27

Lunarian

Awards:
Your email address is hidden and the CoN email icon won't let me attach the file. PM me your address?

Edit
Ahh. I have never used MSN so I wasn't aware that was an email account as well. Just thought it was a messenger like it is labeled.

This post has been edited by Sephiroth on 20th November 2011 09:20

--------------------
Climhazzard is the timeless evil robot who runs some of the cool stuff at CoN (mostly logging chat, since there are no quizzes at the moment), all the while watching and waiting for his moment to take over the world. -Tiddles
Post #198186
Posted: 20th November 2011 23:16

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
OK, as best I can tell, the issue is that the image is too large. JPGs are compressed when they're saved, but they have to be expanded in order to be processed by the fanart system, and I think it's hitting a wall.

It SHOULD be responding with an error message explaining that, but I think what is actually happening is that it's running out of memory and completely aborting itself, which means the error message can't actually output to the page. That's kind of wank, but at least it's not a COMMON occurrence. smile.gif

I'm not going to guarantee that I ever get around to finding a better way to die gracefully on that - the fanart system gets so little use and I have so many things to deal with on the site that it's going to be low on the priority list. What I can do is try to make better messaging for users before they start to be careful about what they submit.

In the case of your image, you scanned it in at 300 DPI and the image was a full-size sheet of paper. The result was an image 2550x3300, which, while great for printing, isn't terribly useful for an online gallery.

I would suggest either rescanning it at a lower DPI, like 72 or 96, as most users who use CoN use it on standard monitors. If you really want to keep the high DPI (a lot of mobile products use higher DPI), I would still consider making the image smaller in terms of raw pixels to see if that helps - it did for me, I was able to submit your art on the CoN development server when I reduced it to 72 DPI and about 700px wide. If it still fails then, I'll have another look.

If you've got any further questions, let me know, and I'll try to fix the real source of the error sometime if time allows me. Thanks!

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #198190
Posted: 20th November 2011 23:32

Lunarian

Awards:
Awesome. I'll resize the image and try it again. Thanks!

Edit
Uploaded successfully. Thanks again.

This post has been edited by Sephiroth on 21st November 2011 03:45

--------------------
Post #198191
Posted: 22nd November 2011 04:45

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 10)
I've had that issue too. Finally I figured out that my pictures were too large and I had to shrink down the size a bit. Not sure why I never reported the issue :/

--------------------
kame, tortue, tortuga, schildkröte, tartaruga, turtle

"Arthur Dent?"
"Yes."
"Arthur Philip Dent?"
"Yes."
"You're a total knee biter."
Post #198208
Posted: 22nd November 2011 14:01

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Kame @ 21st November 2011 23:45)
I've had that issue too. Finally I figured out that my pictures were too large and I had to shrink down the size a bit. Not sure why I never reported the issue :/

Yeah, I was going to seek you out if I hadn't found anything else out, because I knew you must have been seeing something similar.

It would be good to know just how large your files were when they were failing.

--------------------

Post #198212
Posted: 22nd November 2011 14:16

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Just fyi, I think you forgot to take out a print_r(Array) statement in the thumbnail selection screen while debugging this issue, because that's what I saw when I submitted some fanart recently.
Post #198213
Posted: 22nd November 2011 16:03

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Ha ha, I totally did. Oops. smile.gif

In fairness, it was actually two!

--------------------

Post #198216
Posted: 23rd November 2011 08:16

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 10)
Quote (Rangers51 @ 22nd November 2011 06:01)
Quote (Kame @ 21st November 2011 23:45)

Yeah, I was going to seek you out if I hadn't found anything else out, because I knew you must have been seeing something similar.

It would be good to know just how large your files were when they were failing.

Well, I can give you an example with my Cyan Watercolor Bust.

The original file is 1.68mb and is 2004x2496 pixels. The submission page wasn't happy with that picture after to multiple tries so I shrunk it down to 241kb and 701x874 pixels. Not sure what the threshold is for getting an error.

--------------------
kame, tortue, tortuga, schildkröte, tartaruga, turtle

"Arthur Dent?"
"Yes."
"Arthur Philip Dent?"
"Yes."
"You're a total knee biter."
Post #198219
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: