CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
French man wants to go to New York... any ideas?

Posted: 7th April 2012 15:11

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
So, me and my girlfriend are considering going to New York City this year around June, during my birthday.

So far we're not having any trouble regarding transportation, but we are having some difficulties for the housing, as our budget isn't top shelf. Since most of you guys should know much more about that than us, I was wondering if you could possibly help us out.

We are pretty much open to anything, even pointers on whereabouts in NY would be appreciated. Switching flats could also be possible, if you're interested in coming 5 minutes away from Paris (France, not Texas)...
Post #199957
Posted: 7th April 2012 18:49

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I never once stayed in New York City, and the reason for that was that when I was there, I lived close enough that I didn't have a need to. So, that would be my suggestion - perhaps you guys might consider staying just outside the city to cut down on the hotel rates a bit? A lot of hotels have shuttles to the commuter rail stations, at least during the day, but the trains themselves pretty much never stop running; I remember more than a few times that I was on the rail back out to the suburbs far later than was necessarily sane.

Given that we're about the same age, I'm assuming that you guys might not want to consider the hostel route (or maybe I'm just a snob when it comes to such things). If you decided that you did, though, there are definitely dozens, and I'm sure one of us could probably even come up with a site to help you find one if you needed it.

From my point of view, I would seriously consider staying out in the suburbs and commuting in each day. You lose a bit of time but might be able to save quite a bit of money; look at hotels possibly in downtown White Plains, which is a pretty nice town where I happened to spend most of my time in the three years I lived in NY.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #199960
Posted: 7th April 2012 19:44

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Have you heard of couchsurfing.org? I tried it once, and met some nice people, plus I had a free place to stay for a few days.
Post #199961
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: