CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
soccer fans

Posted: 13th August 2003 19:43

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I don't know if any of you are into soccer besides Josh, but I thought I'd post this just in case. The FIFA u-17 world championships started today, and the USA plays their first game tomorrow. It will be shown tape delayed at 1pm eastern time on Galavision. If any of you do watch it I suggest you pay attention to #11 on the US. He signed a contract with nike for $1M, will play pro next year, and turned 14 in June.

--------------------
What would Zorro do?-Homer Simpson
Post #16178
Posted: 14th August 2003 03:40

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
Yeah, Freddy Adu. That kid's gonna be something. Look out Pele.

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #16201
Posted: 14th August 2003 20:52

Engineer

Awards:
Hey, I love soccer too, I've retired though, wasn't too good but I still loved it.

FIFA world championship started yesterday?  Damn.  US plays their first game today right?  Y'think someone'll post scores, my schedule prevents watching soccer and my mom is always watching that neo-feminist propaganda, so she wouldn't let me watch anyway.

Please could someone put up scores an' such?

--------------------
Really Random Quote of the Day: "Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war." - Richard M. Nixon

So if you're done reading this, you know I have nothing to say and you've wasted your time. Thank you come again.
Post #16237
Posted: 14th August 2003 20:59

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I hadn't heard of this Adu kid. I need more info. Because I find no possible way that a 14 year old would be physically capable of playing in any top-tier league anywhere in the world. Maybe Second Division in the UK, or A-League in the States.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #16238
Posted: 15th August 2003 07:31

Black Mage

Awards:
The us won 6-1. Adu had a hat trick, the first goal of which was incredible. Josh, hew doesn't play in any league yet, he lives and trains with the rest of the u17 national team at their academy in Bradenton Florida. Here are some links that might be useful.

www.cnnsi.com/si_online/news/2003/03/03/freddy

http://fifa.com/en/display/article,71334.html

http://www.msnbc.com/news/850564.asp?0cb=-71n5737

--------------------
Post #16251
Posted: 15th August 2003 13:03

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Is anyone other than Galavision going to show these games? I gotta see this kid. Thanks for the articles, TM. I understand now how I misunderstood your first post about him playing pro.

This kinda reminds me of the kid from the Chicago suburbs that went to play in Man U's developmental squad last year at 16. But that kid, can't recall his name now, didn't have nearly this kind of buzz. You know, the Olympics are only about 12 months away. ^_^

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #16254
Posted: 15th August 2003 18:06

Black Mage

Awards:
Only Galavision is showing the games. Sportscenter had like 5 seconds yesterday, but it didn't do the goals justice. The kid who is going to play for Man U, Jonathon Spector, is also on this team.

--------------------
Post #16263
Posted: 15th August 2003 18:51

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
Adu is unbelievable. I don't even pay attention to soccer, but I saw him on Sportscenter and was like "wow, what the hell?". There he is, weaving in and out of grown men, professional players mind you.   >_>

--------------------

Post #16264
Posted: 16th August 2003 03:07

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Tidu-who @ 15 Aug 2003, 13:51)
Adu is unbelievable. I don't even pay attention to soccer, but I saw him on Sportscenter and was like "wow, what the hell?". There he is, weaving in and out of grown men, professional players mind you.   >_>

When was this?

--------------------
Post #16281
Posted: 16th August 2003 15:17

Group Icon
Wavey Marle!

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Third place in CoN European Cup fantasy game for 2011-2012. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoN European Cup, 2008. 
Winner of the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
are scotland involved at all? its just they only cover professional football on television here.

--------------------
"Only the dead have seen the end of their quotes being misattributed to Plato."
-George Santayana

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here..."
-Abraham Lincoln, prior to the discovery of Irony.
Post #16296
Posted: 17th August 2003 05:11

Dragoon

Awards:
See More (Total 10)
Quote (Tmagic77 @ 15 Aug 2003, 22:07)
Quote (Tidu-who @ 15 Aug 2003, 13:51)

When was this?

It was during some practice or something that they showed on the news shortly after he signed that $1M contract.

--------------------

Post #16303
Posted: 15th December 2016 16:16

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
So, how did that Freddy Adu kid turn out, anyway?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddy_Adu

It's amazing, he's still young enough that he could be a legit player if he'd turned out. As it is, he's now under contract in a league that is second-tier at best (here in the US, no less) and will probably collapse as a going concern in the near future.

Meanwhile, we've now got Christian Pulisic. biggrin.gif

--------------------

Post #211749
Posted: 15th December 2016 20:14

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
I remember him being a beast on Championship Manager and then wondering what the hell happened to him. I can't believe he's still only 27 though; just shows how ridiculously young he was when he burst onto the scene. Imagine what he could achieved if he'd fulfilled even half the the potential he seemed to have when he turned up (what was he, 14?).

This post has been edited by Cefca on 15th December 2016 20:15
Post #211751
Posted: 15th December 2016 21:16

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
There's been a theory for years and years that Adu was never 14 when he first signed. People just said he looked older than he was, and it's not things like faked birth certificates to play as younger have never been a thing in American sports. I have a hard time believing it, but who knows?

--------------------

Post #211753
Posted: 15th December 2016 21:56

Engineer

Awards:
Third place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 14)
It's certainly not unheard of with players that have come from Africa and would explain a bit.
Post #211754
Posted: 16th December 2016 01:20

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I'm like a level 1 soccer fan.

The other day I saw someone wearing a jersey bearing the name Messi. I felt slightly proud that I recognized the name, until I realized just how low of a bar that was.

That's how noob I am at this.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 16th December 2016 01:21

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #211759
Posted: 3rd August 2017 17:26

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
I just happened to randomly click on this thread again, just after there was some new amazing Freddy Adu news: http://espnfc.com/soccer-transfers/story/3...transfer-a-joke

Seriously, even if you don't follow soccer, it's a very ridiculous story and worth looking at for entertainment value.

--------------------

Post #213098
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: