Music [ 15 ]  [36.59%]
Gameplay [ 16 ]  [39.02%]
Graphics [ 1 ]  [2.44%]
Total Votes: 41
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 29th March 2011 01:44

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
No, I don't mean your favorite POINT in the story, I mean which part did you like most about this game? Personally, I liked the music. Time of World Revolution, A Distant Promise, Yearings of the Wind... Good times. Good times.

My second favorite would be the gameplay, my third favorite the graphics, and well... you all know what I think of the story. tongue.gif What do you guy slike?

--------------------
"When we think there's no hope left, we keep looking until we find some!" - Claire Farron
Post #193830
Posted: 29th March 2011 02:24

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Everything stands out as brilliant, there's nothing that's only good about the game. I'd say the music is the most memorable part, and it's one of the areas that I could say stands up with all the best musics in any game. I think the rest is brilliant but there are games I've played with an even better gameplay and story.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #193831
Posted: 29th March 2011 04:26

Behemoth

Awards:
I think that some of the graphics aren't very well done, though in general it's a beautiful game. I personally love that period of graphic design unlike any other period.

The story is okay, but I find it to be inferior on that part versus the big Final Fantasy games (IV, VI, VI, IX). The time travel element weakens the plot, to me at least.

The Battle system is one of my favorite of all JRPG's, but I don't think it stands above the music. The Cathedral, and the main theme are awesome pieces of music. Mitsuda's style is interesting, and Uematsu's best work came around that era.

--------------------
Post #193835
Posted: 29th March 2011 09:25

Engineer

Awards:
My favourite part of the game is Lavos. Great antagonist that caters to my Lovecraft, er, love. Very possibly my favourite video game antagonist ever.

Out of the choices listed, yeah, the music. I actually think that Mitsuda's work on Chrono Cross is better, but the Trigger soundtrack is amazing, possibly only topped by Mario RPG and Final Fantasy VI (and possibly Braid...still chewing that one over in my head) in my book.

This post has been edited by trismegistus on 29th March 2011 09:26

--------------------
"If art doesn't risk upsetting expectations and challenging its audience, it can only stagnate."
Post #193838
Posted: 29th March 2011 10:02

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
Funny, you've actually listed the choices in the order I rank them.

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #193840
Posted: 29th March 2011 18:12

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Quote (MogMaster @ 29th March 2011 02:02)
Funny, you've actually listed the choices in the order I rank them.

Yeah, exactly the same here, but there's a pretty sizable gap between Gameplay and Graphics. I really don't care about the graphics of a game as long as the gameplay is good. Usually gameplay is more important for me in the scheme of these four choices, but in the case of CT, the plot and music are stunning enough that they both overcome already sterling gameplay.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #193849
Posted: 29th March 2011 19:49

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
I voted music, but only because there's no "Robo" option. I love Robo.

--------------------
Squenix games completed:

FFIII
FFIV
FFVI
FFVII
FFIX
FFX
FF Tactics: Advance 2
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest 8
Dragon Quest 11
Super Mario RPG
Post #193853
Posted: 30th March 2011 04:11

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Quad @ 29th March 2011 15:49)

Well, isn't the coolest thing about Robo his song!?!

--------------------
Post #193864
Posted: 30th March 2011 20:13

Cactuar

Awards:
I kinda liked his Techs.... They WERE kind of vital to my beating Lavos. smile.gif

--------------------
"When we think there's no hope left, we keep looking until we find some!" - Claire Farron
Post #193888
Posted: 14th April 2011 16:54

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Chrono Trigger tries exceptionally hard to engage you. It tries harder than most games of its day. It changes its basic gameplay formula in hundreds of different little ways and I'd say it succeeds admirably. The fact that it's great to listen to, easy on the eyes, and has a pretty good story are why it's a must-play.

--------------------
"Cavefish is delicious, but only if cooked."
Post #194180
Posted: 17th April 2011 01:10

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (BlitzSage @ 29th March 2011 23:11)

Robo is never going to give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna turn around, and hurt you. Unless someone puts chaos status on him, of course.

I also voted music. Secondarily would be the story. The gameplay is nice but apart from the (somewhat) hitbox-based combat system I didn't find it too notable--it was solidly built but not extraordinary.

The graphics are also beautiful, but I admit I haven't yet come up with a good way of evaluating graphics.

But the music is the most memorable part of the game. For me at least.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #194217
Posted: 17th April 2011 17:18

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 16th April 2011 21:10)
Quote (BlitzSage @ 29th March 2011 23:11)

Robo is never going to give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna turn around, and hurt you. Unless someone puts chaos status on him, of course.

I also voted music. Secondarily would be the story. The gameplay is nice but apart from the (somewhat) hitbox-based combat system I didn't find it too notable--it was solidly built but not extraordinary.

The graphics are also beautiful, but I admit I haven't yet come up with a good way of evaluating graphics.

But the music is the most memorable part of the game. For me at least.

Yeah, the music was great, but the Rick Roll made it legendary. I need to play it again before I vote. I didn't give the game the attention it deserves.

--------------------
Post #194228
Posted: 18th May 2011 04:02
Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I think the best part of Chrono Trigger is the fact that it is one of the first RPGs to have multiple endings (a total of 14 endings that you can unlock). Since there is no option for that, I will just vote for the story.

The second best part of the whole game is the tech/combo system. Battles were never this much fun before.
Post #194999
Posted: 18th May 2011 04:08
Chocobo Knight

Awards:
The game is actually fun. Ive played my share of games that sometimes it feels more like a necessary chore to finish than keeping you happy the whole way through. Chrono Trigger (and Chrono Cross for that example) were just fun to play.
Post #195000
Posted: 27th May 2011 22:12

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
I find the game somewhat underwhelming these days. However, I still love the music. Graphics were quite nice for their time, but a fine soundtrack never goes out of style. Definitely unforgettable.

--------------------
Post #195152
Posted: 27th May 2011 22:56
Treasure Hunter

Awards:
I'm a big fan of video game music in general, and I'm a very big fan this soundtrack. Mitsuda and Uematsu are an unbeatable combination.
Post #195157
Posted: 28th May 2011 04:35

Behemoth

Awards:
Okay, I had no idea about....
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
the scene with them around a campfire and with Lucca's mother, where u can save her legs and when they talk about an "entity" that may be wanting them to see these things.
That completely changed the game for me. I hadn't thought about the game's story and time travel in a philosophical way before. That was totally unexpected. And I'm surprised that no one brings that up. That set it apart, in my mind, from other games.

This post has been edited by BlitzSage on 28th May 2011 04:36

--------------------
Post #195162
Posted: 28th May 2011 04:43

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
My favorite part is tied between story and music, because nothing made the game more memorable for me than when I saw Zeal for the first time. The story of Zeal was awesome, but so was that unforgettable theme. I never tire of listening to it, and I look forward to that portion of the game more than anything else. And, compared to other games of its genre, the graphics for it were very well done.

This post has been edited by TheEvilEye on 28th May 2011 04:44
Post #195163
Posted: 26th June 2011 17:51

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Although I like pretty much most of what the game offers, My favorite MOMENT was when you get to Zeal for the first time.

It's just such a magical*har har* moment. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Oops! Had the silly thing in reverse.^_^"

"I'm afraid the mouse is SMACK...dab in the middle of enemy territory."

~Kefka -- Dissidia Final Fantasy
Post #195595
Posted: 26th June 2011 20:27

Dragoon

Awards:
All of it. Although I enjoy the gameplay most.
Post #195597
Posted: 26th June 2011 21:53

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (GamblingCat @ 26th June 2011 16:27)
All of it. Although I enjoy the gameplay most.

I've started to feel the same way. It's a wonderful game.

--------------------
Post #195598
Posted: 27th June 2011 00:20

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
EVERYTHING.

Even so, much like Chrono Cross, OST's 100% gold.
I suppose I would pick music.
Post #195604
Posted: 30th November 2011 09:21

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I said gameplay. Your decisions changing the outcome of events throughout time. 14 different endings. and (most important for me) the battle system. I loved the fight right here and now style instead on transitioning to a battlefield and I also Loved the Duel and Triple techs. I liked how they first introduce you to lavos also.
"In the year 1999 AD Lavos rose from the earth..... and blew everything up. the end"
I mean seriously. 10 seconds after everyone finds out he even exists he NUKES THE WHOLE PLANED!!!!!

Beat that sephiroth! lol
anyways. There was some decent music and some i liked but nothing i'd give more than a 6 on a scale of 1 - 10.
Good story. too bad chrono cross getting rushed fudged it a lot. sad.gif
As was already needing more and more of this amazing game when i first played it for the SNES but, i too, dropped my jaw when i first saw Zeal.
Did anyone else who played the SNES version first drop there jaw when they first booted up the PSX version and saw that opening FMV with DBZ graphics and sound effects? I sure did.

Also, I hope Final Fantasy XI and XIV hurry up and stop getting support because I wanna see Chrono Break!

This post has been edited by TrueBOSS on 30th November 2011 09:22

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #198323
Posted: 5th October 2013 17:11

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
It is so hard to say what I like best. Overall the gameplay is what sticks out to me. It is like Final Fantasy, only the with better and more interesting gameplay. It is the best game ever invented, as far as I am concerned.
Post #204853
Posted: 7th October 2013 01:52

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
That it happened and I was alive for it

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #204897
Posted: 21st November 2013 04:37

Onion Knight

Awards:
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
All of the above. I voted for gameplay because that's the most important quality a video game can have but Chrono Trigger excels in every aspect; story, music, visuals, character development, gameplay, they're like the metals that blend together to make a good sword. Any RPG worth it's weight forges these into something special. CT isn't lacking in any of those aspects save for perhaps graphics in a modern sense, but at the time it came out it was cutting edge. I think it's the sharpest RPG ever made, although Final Fantasy VII is awfully close.

How do you like the sword analogy and metaphors? I thought it was appropriate. biggrin.gif
Post #205601
Posted: 23rd November 2013 10:58

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Dragoon Lance @ 20th November 2013 23:37)
CT isn't lacking in any of those aspects save for perhaps graphics in a modern sense, but at the time it came out it was cutting edge.

How do you like the sword analogy and metaphors? I thought it was appropriate. biggrin.gif

Touche.

I love that the PSX can run geometry routines to make 3-Dimensional characters look right in the right light. I love that.

But somebody had to draw Chrono Trigger from scratch, and that somebody was Akira Toriyama. Working with Square.

MIND BLOWN

The only reason I don't play it right now is that there's no one to play it with. smile.gif

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #205610
Posted: 3rd December 2013 00:28

Returner

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
I would say now music because some songs like 600 A.D. and Frog's theme bring back vivid childhood memories of me playing the game for the 1st time.

Graphics would be second. I remember on my 1st playtrhrough being visually stunned by the beauty of the waterfalls with sparkles in it.

--------------------
Post #205712
Posted: 13th December 2013 23:37

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Definitely the music, just like most square games.
I like specially like the song "Corridors Of Time".
The one that plays at Zeal and on the "The End" screen

Next is the story, however I wondered something...
If when lavos ends consuming a plantet and leaves it's offspring, wouldn't killing the lavos on Earth mean nothing? cause there are more lavos on other worlds... rolleyes-straight.gif

Gameplay, same as most FF's and RPGs, had some neat features though.
And I also think the graphics were good, but music wins the 1st place for me.
Post #205836
Posted: 2nd February 2014 09:38

Cactuar

Awards:
What's wrong with the whole game? The strongest aspect imo is purpose. Graphics aside we're glad the characters had a reason to do what they did. I guess that would be story.

--------------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/Greatermaxim

Terra - LV 99 - HP 9999 - MP 999

Equipment - - - Abilities

Illumina - - - - - Fight
Genji Shield - - Morph
Oath Veil - - - - Magic
Minerva - - - - - Item
Ribbon
Economizer
Post #206079
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: