CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Square Enix April Fool's Jokes

Posted: 2nd April 2018 23:03

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
I know of three April Fool's jokes that Square Enix did.

The first one I actually got an email about, lending it some credibility: FFXIV Online GO, a mobile app that let's you do gathering in the real world. I actually thought this was a pretty neat idea, and though I was skeptical due to it being announced on April 1st, I found myself wondering if it would be free to play. Kind of disappointed it's not actually happening.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius' Japan app did a demo of a 3D version. It's really pretty! But obviously a fake. Some of the Global players thought this was a waste of resources better spent on improving the actual game, but I dunno, I rather liked seeing this.

And then there was FFBE Global's prank: they announced wave battles, a marathon battle session with 365 stages. I thought this was rather mean, especially since in their "announcement" they said that they had listened to the fans and were granting one of their wishes. Wave battles are indeed something the player base has been asking for, so I thought it was mean to tease the fans about it. I said on Twitter that I thought folks would be unhappy with this joke. I haven't had time to finish reading the thread about it on the FFBE forums, but the start of the thread, before the joke was revealed, showed people apprehensive it wouldn't be true.

I wouldn't be surprised if Square Enix pulled more pranks yesterday for their other games. Anyone know of any?

--------------------
Watch me play games on Twitch!
Schedule:
Mondays & Thursdays: Final Fantasy XVI
Saturdays: Final Fantasy XIV MSQ & Side Quests
7:30pm - 10:30pm Central or thereabouts
Post #214680
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: