CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Let's Plays

Posted: 2nd November 2015 01:18

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Does anyone here know how to actually make a video Let's Play? I've been meaning to start one, as soon as I get the time. Of course you need something that will record what's happening on your screen, but I don't know how to find good ones that won't slow down my computer too much or fill it with viruses or something. Most malware detectors pretty much think they're all evil so I'm fairly clueless.
Post #209775
Posted: 2nd November 2015 02:24

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Snes9x V 1.53 has a built in video recorder. It's a little tricky to get a good take, and it does slow down the emulator and cancel all sound emulation (the sound is still there when you play the video back; it just doesn't play while you're recording). You could do an annotated video this way, by adding the annotations in afterwards.

As far as combining a voice track of some kind with the audio, that's beyond my purview.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #209776
Posted: 2nd November 2015 18:39

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
If you're just interested in doing it live and not adding on any editing or other features, you could certainly do it via Twitch with software like Open Broadcaster. I've never done an actual Let's Play, because I can't believe I'd be any good at it; most of my video production experience has been for CoN videos, which tend to be far simpler and done with simpler tools, so it's probably not as handy for a professional-looking Let's Play.

Odds are, though, that doing video capture is going to always be a bit of a beast for games you're playing on the same machine you're capturing. It's just a lot of data that has to get stored 30 to 60 times a second, and it involves a lot of pieces of your machine - CPU/GPU, disk drives, and I/O on the motherboard to talk back and forth among them.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #209777
Posted: 2nd November 2015 21:46

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
We don't know what game you're playing and what do you need capture. Therefore, I'll recommend MSI Afterburner in the meantime (assuming you are on Windows).

If you are on Windows 10, you could summon the Xbox Game Bar by hitting Win + G and telling the bar that this is a game, and you'll be able to record the game. The Xbox DVR needs little work to be employed; its already working and built-into Windows 10.

--------------------
I am Exdeath. Step aside pesky clowns, or your warranty is Void!
Post #209778
Posted: 4th November 2015 07:09

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I've used CamStudio before and it seemed to work decently well.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #209780
Posted: 7th November 2015 23:36

Engineer

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Thanks, guys! I Googled up some of your suggestions and found this handy list of screen capture programs, which was awesome for me. I downloaded BB FlashBack Express because it can be bought as well as having a free version, so it looked the most legit. The free version of course has limitations, but I can live with that because all free stuff has limitations and I'm poor so I'm used to it. As soon as I get a mic I think I'll start recording! *does happy dance*
Edit
Just figured out that my webcam has a mic. Now I just have to find time! *dances faster*

This post has been edited by RavenLalonde on 9th November 2015 03:03
Post #209807
Posted: 11th August 2016 07:06
Returner

I myself am a Let's Player. DarkRogueHaseo and KiraYamato99 are my names on Youtube. Feel free to check out my work. I use Camtasia Studio 8 for my LPs.
Post #211188
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: