CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Cuphead

Posted: 27th October 2017 00:42

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
This game is a delight. It's unforgiving and challenging. Wonderful, if unoriginal (straight nostalgia) graphics and character designs.

I like the map interface and the controls are simple and responsive.

Run, Jump, Shoot, Dash.

A wonderful platformer. I'm only about 10% completed and I'm not addicted to it or immersed in it but it's very charming and nice to pick up once or twice a week.

Similar to Shovel Knight, in a way, if you can believe it.

Anyone tried it yet? I know people are raving about it but it's not ground-breaking or genre-defining.

Supposedly, the developers had to mortgage off their house to complete it. So it's a true indie gem.

But again, in a way, it's also almost completely and terribly unoriginal and this is the biggest flaw the game has, and the nostalgia overload prevents it from feeling fresh. When you borderline plagiarize the style of 1930's Disney cartoons but with original characters, you're gonna lose some brownie points.

But the characters are silly and creative. Both Cuphead and his brother and the supporting cast, bosses and generic enemy characters.

8/10

--------------------
Post #213568
Posted: 27th October 2017 07:43

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I'm hearing that it's both 'unoriginal' and 'creative.'

Make up your mind would you biggrin.gif Also, hi! Where've you been?

Certainly a fascinating idea, though I'd much prefer a game based on the animation style of Warner Bros. dry.gif Not big on the Diz.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #213569
Posted: 27th October 2017 19:45

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Quote (Spooniest @ 27th October 2017 02:43)
I'm hearing that it's both 'unoriginal' and 'creative.'

Make up your mind would you biggrin.gif Also, hi! Where've you been?

Certainly a fascinating idea, though I'd much prefer a game based on the animation style of Warner Bros.  dry.gif Not big on the Diz.

I just knew you'd be here to say something about that tongue.gif

But yes, the style is a complete rip-off; The world and characters created within it are still unique and creative. They could have gone for a completely original style of animation and didn't. I understand the artistic decision and don't disagree with it, even. But it's true.

And yeah, the Warner Bros. style would have been a better alternative, I agree. Still, I know it sounds contradictory but I stand by unoriginal but creative.

--------------------
Post #213572
Posted: 27th October 2017 22:01

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Quote (Dynamic Threads @ 27th October 2017 14:45)
I just knew you'd be here to say something about that tongue.gif

"Logic is a twittering bird in a meadow, it is a field of pretty flowers that smell bad."

~ Mr. Spock

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #213573
Posted: 29th October 2017 19:05

Cactuar

Awards:
Playing a little more now, the game immediately jumps up in difficulty at about 10%.

The controls are tight but hard to get used to, although when you do, the game becomes incredibly fun to play. I can see a parallel in the control style/scheme with the Mega Man X series now and that's a big plus.

Run, jump, dash, shoot. A secondary weapon, a bazaar to purchase power-ups and stuff.

Something I've noticed is that the gameplay runs at a unique pace. Maybe that's the animation style, a possible frames-per-second cause/effect. Not delayed but maybe .750 speed? Something like that, if you can imagine. Charming fun.

I can only imagine it gets brutal.

--------------------
Post #213576
Posted: 2nd November 2017 08:40

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I've watched some gameplay videos, and my conclusion is that it seems to be a cross between the gameplay of Gunstar Heroes, the creative sensibility of Parodius, and the artistic style of 1930s cartoons.

(To be fair, 1930s cartoons themselves could easily be just as absurd as Parodius games.)

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 2nd November 2017 08:42

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #213586
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: