CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Toughest battle in the game

Posted: 12th June 2009 22:06

Returner

Opinions on this seem to vary more than I thought they would (every walkthrougher has his own opinion), but the battle that's caused me to throw my controller the most was the Golgorand Execution Site (or the Gollgada Gallows, or however you want to refer to it). Strangely, the one-on-one with Weigraf has never given me as much grief as Gaff's dark swordskills. You're outmanned, outgunned, and generally outclassed in many ways.

That's if we're talking about actual victory. The fight with Elmdore and his ladies is easily the most infuriating if you're trying to steal the Genji equipment, bar none.
Post #178233
Posted: 12th June 2009 22:52

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
A forum search turns up a similar topic: Hardest Battles

When I responded to that topic I said the one-on-one Wiegraf battle was the most difficult (if I don't power-level or use the Yell trick), but any battle wherein you're seeking a secondary goal can be frustratingly difficult; you know, like trying to learn ultima and steal the genji equipment in the same battle (something I experienced first-hand on one of my files).
Post #178234
Posted: 12th June 2009 22:58

Returner

Apologies, I'm still learning the ropes.

The Wiegraf battle was pretty easy for me because I had stolen the Blood Sword and equipped Concentrate and Auto-Potion. Ramza was pretty much invincible at that stage. The Execution site was just a bear.
Post #178236
Posted: 13th June 2009 00:25

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
I'll second the execution site, I was stuck there for ages the first time I played the game. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been determined to steal the blood sword as well as win. In the end I ended up using the jp scroll cheat to give all my units auto-potion. When I replayed the game without cheating it didn't seem so bad.

Also, I think the Roof of Riovanes castle when you're trying to get the move-find items or steal the barette and cachusha off Celia and Lede is worse than trying to get the genji gear off Elmdor, since Rafa tends to get herself killed.

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #178238
Posted: 8th July 2009 16:35

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
The Execution Site was one of the easiest for me.

I killed Uncle Gafgarion and led the rest on a merry chase all around the map!

No my hardest battle is far...far...far...far...far...etc.harder...THE GATES TO LIONEL CASTLE!!!ACCURSED BLOODY SUMMONER! Vile treachorous gangreneous septic cretinous imbecilic son of a sandworm! Back! Back to dark flaming cavern from whence thy came! That vile spawning pit of Hades !Philanderous Mongerel!EAT MY TOAST!!! may your hardrive cease to spin! May all your crashes be fatal! May all your files Rasp!May all your Reboots be Doc Martens! Thou art a sack of compost unworthy to even lick my boots!! You underhanded goat worshiper!You fiendish villainous cantankarous useless walking bag of dung! I call into question your intelligence and Morals!!!!The world has never seen such a deplorable vandalistic presence since the dawn of time!

*pant* *pant* *pant* ok I'm done

This post has been edited by R8.50 Mango on 9th July 2009 20:31

--------------------
Since I advertise CoN there I think it's only fair that I advertise The Wiki here.
Post #179195
Posted: 25th July 2009 07:18
Returner

the execution site was by far the hardest ive come across so far ((in chapter 3 now and working on lvling)), my dual wielding knight and my lnacer were my two strongest, but my summoner, time mage and fith person were always in trouble, took me nearly two hours to beat, mainly cause i was trying to keep my people from disappearing, so i used alot of phoenix downs, thouh they rarely got the chance to act, just died again, lost my first time and came back with stronger lvls, that made things almost easy, though i still spent quite a bit of time making sure my guys didnt turn into crystals, thank you for my lancer with almost 250 hp, though i did manage to swipe a few of the enemies with some lucky inventations, even if they did die it still helped alot, though the one on one fght with gaff was a pain, until i lost and came back with weapon break, a inentory full of hi potions and both my main and one of my rangers with auto potion, it worked great cause they couldnt kill him, and he had really low hp so the focused on him while i picked them off one by one

This post has been edited by wolfieryx on 25th July 2009 07:20
Post #179735
Posted: 25th July 2009 10:07

Cactuar

Awards:
why didn't you use a wizard with white magic second ability instead of a time mage?
, but my summoner , time mage and fith person were always in trouble
and why were you using phoenix down when you could just use raise 2 and resurrect them to full health?

--------------------
Since I advertise CoN there I think it's only fair that I advertise The Wiki here.
Post #179737
Posted: 28th July 2009 04:39

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
10 monks when you are training up a few weak generics is always one I wipe on, TG Cid in tow or not.

--------------------
Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them.

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #179874
Posted: 30th July 2009 02:29

Returner

The Execution Site was cake imo. My set up was two identical Lancers with full jump and mastered Battle Skills, a potion throwing Archer with advanced stolen equipment, Agrias, and a Thief Ramza. Gafgarion doesn't really hit hard, he's just an annoyance. The biggest problem were the Time Mages. With Agrias under the two Time Mages and the Knight up top, you can use Statis Sword and hopefully stop one or two of them. The Lancers took care of the rest. Since they were identical in every way, I simply had them jump on one target, or two separate targets depending on the HP of that target. Gafgarion was actually the last person I killed. I simply wanted the Blood Sword and that took the longest. At the moment I'm combining a Monk with Equip Sword and using the Blood Sword for melee attacks instead of using Chakra for healing. Counter also works with the Sword, so it's an interesting combination.

Edit: Also, everyone of my characters save for Agrias has +2 Move. I find that in the battles that go with the story, playing defensively, you will always win. Making them come to you, and with characters that can move almost every where on the map, it makes it easy to take out one or two people quickly.

This post has been edited by Zero on 30th July 2009 02:57
Post #179990
Posted: 30th July 2009 22:34

Cactuar

Awards:
The execution site is hard,i agree.But the hardest battle of all is probably riovanes.I had trobule inside and on the roof.But i finall pulled through biggrin.gif .Thank god

--------------------
Can't we get a better mission than this.I HATE CATS!!!!

Quote from Naruto
Post #180021
Posted: 2nd October 2009 17:08

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (ILoveMoombas! @ 13th June 2009 00:25)
Also, I think the Roof of Riovanes castle when you're trying to get the move-find items or steal the barette and cachusha off Celia and Lede is worse than trying to get the genji gear off Elmdor, since Rafa tends to get herself killed.

Add stealing all their weapons to list and its even more of a pain. Any battle that you prolong to steal will end up hard since the equipments are usaully with the most dangerous unit. I always steal Elmdor and his two assassins weapons since Elmdor and Celia hold katanas, something you need for Draw Out. since draw out can break your kantanas and they are expensive to buy (even if you have a lot of gils before, you'll be broke afterwards), Any kantanas for free is a biggie to me. as for Lede's Spell Edges, the first time, i steal them for my ninja. after that, its so that they can throw them.

Story battle wise, 1st place for hardest would be Fanith River, If you get unlucky and get all Red Chocobos, you can kiss your units goodbye. 2nd would go to the Execution Site with two Mages above your 2nd group and your 1st group taking on almost all the enemies, you can find yourself in a tight spot, especially if you want the Blood Sword. The one on one with Wiegraf is a joke if you have the Chamleon Robes on.

As for random encounters, I'd say the rare encountor at Barius Hill I've beaten a lot of the rare ecountors but never this one wacko.gif

This post has been edited by Fistrules on 2nd October 2009 17:22

--------------------
In order to find your oppenent's weakness, you must first learn their pattern. Once you know their pattern, you can build a counter strategy.
Post #181712
Posted: 9th October 2009 11:12

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
Barrius Hill

When you're between level 40-60 you'll encounter a couple fights here and there that will absolutly destroy you. Sometimes the Dragons kills you or sometimes Choco Meteo just overwhelms you. That place is a bitch.

--------------------
Yeah, I barely post.
Post #181816
Posted: 11th October 2009 05:33

Returner

The hardest battle without power-leveling or any cheap tricks, I always found, was fatty-fat-fat, Queklain, the Tainted King. The rest of the battles as I advance are fairly straightforward, but no matter how I prepare classes and split them up for Quek's fight so nightmare doesn't wipe me... I always just scrape by.

When I am power-leveled, I truly don't find any of the random battles difficult anymore. But I will say that the million monk fight definitely used to have me tearing my hair out.
Post #181846
Posted: 21st October 2009 09:55

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. 
The execution site so far was my hardest battle..
mostley because my revive an arise kept on missing
so i had to use phoenix downs a lot..
lost a lot of turns that way
it was an frustrating epic battle that lasted over an hour..

btw i must say that my support and revive magic misses a lot of times
it should mis about 2 out of 10 times
but in my game its the other way around
i miss about 8 out of 10 times (esp. Wall, Revive and Arise)
even if i stand next to the character im targeting..
someone knows why?

--------------------
both feet on the ground won't get you anywhere..
Post #181964
Posted: 21st October 2009 14:29

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
It's funny; I'm playing through the PSP version for the first time now, and while the Execution Site was always hard for me on the PSX, I had no trouble at all with this run through on PSP. Not sure exactly why; maybe it was just because this is the first time I've played it using special characters in years.

So far in this playthrough, where I'm not fighting any leveling random battles, the toughest battle has been saving Orran/Olan from the rooftop. It seems tougher now, due to a combination of the following: Celestial Stasis not hitting as often, seemingly; the female Thieves using Steal Heart more frequently, and Orran's inability to figure out where to go in order to be safe. It took me six tries to get through, finally making it when I realized I could buy Nu Khai armlets to protect against Charm, and to take Boko to act as a meatshield/healer for Orran. It makes me worry about the rooftop at Riovanes. smile.gif

As to your other question, Crash, it's not really on topic here. However, I will say that there are a lot of factors involved in the success of a spell, and I don't think proximity is one of them at all.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #181966
Posted: 22nd October 2009 07:23

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
sorry... i seem to go off topic everytime i post...
blush.gif
Moderator Edit
No worries - maybe this thread might help your question a bit? -R51

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 22nd October 2009 10:48

--------------------
Post #181973
Posted: 3rd November 2009 09:54

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Okay.. Where The execution site was my hardest battle im now stuck in chapter 4 at Finath River..
Total chocobo madness out there!
My ramza is about level 79 at this point
As many of my other char.
But i keep losing them all in this battle
Tried about 15 times now.. And still trying..

--------------------
Post #182181
Posted: 3rd November 2009 14:59

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
That's because the Chocobos are the same level as you, Crash. It's not like a scripted AI battle, where you can just power level and obliterate the enemy. Monsters will always match you level for level.

Hardest battle for me was the Rescue Mustadio. The first time I played I was seriously underleved, so the Wizards were giving me a hard time. The first time versus Meliadoul was hard too, if only for her equipment breaking moves.

--------------------
This is a webcomic and gaming blog where I rant about nonsense. Enjoy.

I was a soldier, now I just play one in video games.
Post #182184
Posted: 4th November 2009 14:45

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Quote (Nytecrawla @ 3rd November 2009 14:59)
That's because the Chocobos are the same level as you, Crash. It's not like a scripted AI battle, where you can just power level and obliterate the enemy. Monsters will always match you level for level.

Hardest battle for me was the Rescue Mustadio. The first time I played I was seriously underleved, so the Wizards were giving me a hard time. The first time versus Meliadoul was hard too, if only for her equipment breaking moves.

i found that out the hard way..
i was just leveling some of my weaker char
mostly because i wanted to master some jobs
not even to make the battles easier or to powerlevel
the storyline battles aren´t that hard anyway..
but the random battles all are realy realy hard now..
i can hardly make it out of random battles with all 5 surviving
problems started when i came above level 70
than thing got realy nasty

not shure im doing something wrong
even at level 80 now my Ramza has only about 400HP
but most of the time i´m up agains monsters that slam of 300 to 500HP
so 80% of my moves are now heal related and im barly hanging on most of the time, wich is realy frustrating and takes away a lot of the joy i had before i hit level 70...
im not a quiter but im about to give up on this save
but ive already put in about 120 hours of gameplay and i would hate to start all over again
after 3 times i started over before i realy want to finish this game now cry.gif

--------------------
Post #182203
Posted: 7th November 2009 11:41

Cactuar

Awards:
Found a new hardest battle. The Lost Sacred Precincts. Took me 10 tries to get it right until I finally brought a black mage with Holy and Math Skill. One CT 3 Holy popped them all for 700+ damage

--------------------
Post #182238
Posted: 25th November 2009 06:14

Returner

Quote (R8.50 Mango @ 7th November 2009 11:41)
Found a new hardest battle. The Lost Sacred Precincts. Took me 10 tries to get it right until I finally brought a black mage with Holy and Math Skill. One CT 3 Holy popped them all for 700+ damage

Balk? Yeah, he's a real stinker, even at level 99. I always just bum rushed him with meatshields, or used calculate, and he and his stupid allies still managed to kill the majority of my team.
Post #182502
Posted: 31st December 2009 04:34

Returner

-sigh-
I have a long list... Long or short? Anyone want the long one? -cricket, cricket- Short? -everyone shouts yes at once-
Okay. Short one it is.
From my standing point in the game right now, it would be...

Fight against Belias (No comment unless you want to hear a volcanic eruption of cuss words.)
one-on-one with Wiegraf (well, getting Ramza's speed up to 25 wasn't so bad with the auto-potion)
The battle against Cuchulain (that one was a b-i-t-c-h. I gave up the first time and stopped playing for two weeks before I figured out how to beat him... Stupid fat ********)
Battle at Finnath Creek (Oh God, don't remind me. The stupid chocobos there drove me insane! I made sure I had Construct 8 before I stepped foot there again!)
Opening the Besselat Sluice (Man, I didn't know you didn't have to defeat everyone! That battle was a complete *******!)

There's actually more to it, but... it would turn out that the short list and the long list are actually the same length.

--------------------
♥ ~ ♥ m u s i c ~ i s ~ m y ~ p a s s i o n ♥ ~ ♥
♥ ~ ♥ d r a w i n g ~ i s ~ m y ~ h o b b y ♥ ~ ♥
♥ ~ ♥ f r i e n d s ~ a n d ~ m y ~ f a m i l y ~ a r e ~ m y ~ l i f e ♥ ~ ♥
Post #183044
Posted: 15th January 2010 05:48
Returner

The one on one with Gaffgarrion was difficult, but he was never my problem. Ramza was always my strongest character, so I wrecked him, with some help from a ninja red chocobo. Hehehe.
It was all the enemies outside that gave me grief.

It seems like all the battles that most people complained about, I never had any problem with. HAHA.
heart.gif
Post #183220
Posted: 15th January 2010 13:20

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Charmaine @ 15th January 2010 00:48)
The one on one with Gaffgarrion was difficult, but he was never my problem. Ramza was always my strongest character, so I wrecked him, with some help from a ninja red chocobo. Hehehe.
It was all the enemies outside that gave me grief.

It seems like all the battles that most people complained about, I never had any problem with. HAHA.
heart.gif

How did you have a red chocobo at that point without ridiculous leveling? By the time of that battle, you have only had Boco for, what, eight or ten storyline battles? It would take a lot of traveling to get eggs to hatch to red chocobos, which would mean, likely, a lot of random battles.

If you level up enough, sure, storyline battles aren't going to be that hard for the most part, they're the only battles where the enemies don't level with you.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #183229
Posted: 15th January 2010 13:52

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Quote (Rangers51 @ 15th January 2010 09:20)
How did you have a red chocobo at that point without ridiculous leveling? By the time of that battle, you have only had Boco for, what, eight or ten storyline battles? It would take a lot of traveling to get eggs to hatch to red chocobos, which would mean, likely, a lot of random battles.

If you level up enough, sure, storyline battles aren't going to be that hard for the most part, they're the only battles where the enemies don't level with you.

Early mediator can get you a chocobo in chapter 1 if you so desire - doesn't have to be Boco. I think at the beginning of Chapter 2 you have a brief window where Orbonne and Dorter are connected blue dots, so you could walk between the two dots endlessly until a red chocobo hatched. I played through a game with a "Monster Pimp" Ramza, where he was the only human character I allowed myself to use in battles (beyond the first couple to get my team situated) and that required me to get him to Mediator status right quick.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #183230
Posted: 15th January 2010 14:23

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Neal @ 15th January 2010 08:52)
Early mediator can get you a chocobo in chapter 1 if you so desire - doesn't have to be Boco. I think at the beginning of Chapter 2 you have a brief window where Orbonne and Dorter are connected blue dots, so you could walk between the two dots endlessly until a red chocobo hatched. I played through a game with a "Monster Pimp" Ramza, where he was the only human character I allowed myself to use in battles (beyond the first couple to get my team situated) and that required me to get him to Mediator status right quick.

Flip side of the same coin, though, isn't it? There are a couple storyline battles in chapter 1 where I can see inviting a chocobo, plus a couple where they'd show up in randoms, as I recall. To get there, though, you're right, you'd have to get to Mediator quick, and that alone would probably be plenty of leveling by the time you got to Gafgarion.

Just a thought, though, really - didn't mean to imply that it was impossible to do it earlier, just that the process of doing it would by its very nature would probably make the mentioned battle easier. smile.gif

--------------------

Post #183231
Posted: 27th January 2010 01:22

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
You guys are funny. All of the so-called "hardest" battles are pretty easy. I've never powerlevelled before the Deep Dungeon, where it's kind of unavoidable. Just plan your builds right and you'll never have trouble.

Golgorand?

Keep your guys hasted and use ninjas.

Gate of Lionel?

Holy. Gafgarion dies.

Wiegraf? Cake.

Wizard w/ White Magic, Two Swords.

Wizard Rod, Wizard Rod, Holy Miter, Wizard Robe, Magic Gauntlet.

Cast Holy on him once. End battle. Have a Monk use Chakra on him at the start of Velius fight, cast Holy again.

The roof of Riovanes was tough 'cause Rafa would usually kill herself before any of my guys got a turn.

And inside of Limberry wasn't difficult, just frustrating and time consuming. Learn Ultima in the previous battle so's you can kill Celia and Lede right away. Ramza should Yell at your thief and someone keep Elmdor on slow. More turns = more chances to steal. It still took me an hour and a half.
Post #183431
Posted: 21st February 2010 10:32

Returner

Well... The one-on-one Wiegraf battle was impossible for me last time, I forgot I had to fight him one-on-one... I had no way of healing myself (except potions) and he killed me in 2 hits...
Post #183986
Posted: 21st February 2010 18:30

Engineer

Awards:
Hm...for storyline battles, I'd say that Golgollada, Inside Riovanes, Finnath if you have bad luck.

There are some pretty nasty random battles too, I don't think I ever was able to beat the one against 8 Monks.

--------------------
"If art doesn't risk upsetting expectations and challenging its audience, it can only stagnate."
Post #183998
Posted: 9th March 2010 20:50

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I'm only on my 3rd full playthrough, and I don't know what has come over me.
I'm stuck at Velius!

Wiegraf in human form is absolute cake, but for some reason Velius and his Archdemons overwhelm me everytime. Ah well, I'll keep trying I suppose.
Post #184210
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: