Slow vs Haste!
Slow! [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Haste! [ 22 ]  [100.00%]
Total Votes: 22
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 29th August 2002 01:02

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
So, you're fighting Omega Weapon, and this guy's pretty tough. You have only 2 spells in your Time Magic arsenal: Haste and Slow. Would you haste your characters or slow the enemy first? Or, pretty much, which of the 2 do you use first? Just a random question.

--------------------
Lou: There's a couple of guys fighting down at the aquarium, Chief.
Wiggum: Do they still sell those frozen bananas?
Lou: I think so.
Wiggum: Let's roll.
Post #1758
Posted: 29th August 2002 01:16

Kung Foogle

Awards:
Second place in CoNCAA, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2017. Third place in CoNCAA, 2016. Second place in CoNCAA, 2013. 
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. First place in CoNCAA, 2005. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I always used Haste or Haste 2, as opposed to Slow and its variants.  The effectiveness of Slow depends largely on your opponent and how powerful he/she is.  Some monsters and bosses are immune to Slow altogether.  Although it certainly is useful to limit your opponent's turns, it's just not reliable enough to warrant large-scale use, at least for me.

Haste, on the other hand, depends solely on the skill of the spellcaster, since it affects your party members, and therefore has little or nothing to do with magic defense and personal immunities.  Besides, the same detrimental effects of Slow can be almost perfectly replicated by Haste, if your party members are going so fast that your opponent seems slowed in comparison.

--------------------
"I always have a quotation for everything - it saves original thinking."
~Dorothy L. Sayers

"The truly remarkable thing about television is that it allows several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely."
~T.S. Eliot

"Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as reality - in your own mind!"
~ Bruce Lee
Post #1759
Posted: 29th August 2002 03:59

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Would a slow spell even work against Omega Weapon?  I work with Haste just because it seems more dependable than Slow.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #1767
Posted: 29th August 2002 16:31

Crusader

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2013. First place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2003. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Haste is more reliable than slow, IMO. rather than sometimes getting a Miss from slow, you always get haste.

--------------------
"When I turn the page
The corner bends into the perfect dog ear
As if the words knew I'd need them again
But at the time, I didn't see it."

~"This Ain't a Surfin' Movie" - Minus the Bear
Post #1775
Posted: 29th August 2002 17:30
Treasure Hunter

Awards:
if i'm in a boss battle then i'd use haste or haste 2 first. most bosses are imune to slow so there's no point in wasting time or MP to try it. i'd usually use haste first and then if i think it might work then i use slow... but it almost never works

--------------------
You were in my arms, clutching me tight
We were in the darkness, searching for light
Then you left me, all alone
To walk this world, all on my own!
--Rob--Zealous Apathy
Post #1777
Posted: 29th August 2002 18:02
Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2003. Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
Haste. It's always fun to point and laugh at the enemies when you're hasted and go "ha-ha... I have a faster ATB guage than you do :p" ...or is that just me? bah, doesn't matter. :)

--------------------
Air force... if you ever join the militant wing, join the Air force

Army = jockos
Navy = seasick nerds
Marines = show offs
PeaceCorp = hippies

AF is the way to go
Post #1778
Posted: 29th August 2002 19:10

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
It also seems to me that while Haste is not always 100% (FFT), it's usually more reliable than Slow is, I'll continue using FFT as an example.  With Haste you've got a pretty good chance of connecting, especially if it's someone of the opposite sex.  With Haste2 it's almost a given that you'll get Haste...I've only missed with it once.  However, while Slow and Slow2 seem to work more often in FFT than in other games, it still has a lower hit rate..

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #1788
Posted: 29th August 2002 19:48

Crusader

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Second place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoNCAA, 2008. Third place in CoNCAA, 2009. First place in CoNBA, 2007. 
For me in most cases, especially against bosses, Slow always misses.  Haste on the other hand, usually works, giving me a spiffy advantage of going more often.  Also I personally don't take a defensive attack plan in most RPGs, so naturally I would prefer Haste.  I might even ignore Slow altogether, because I would probably find myself Haste-ing, then whipping out as many powerful attacks I can.

--------------------
I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Post #1791
Posted: 29th August 2002 23:22

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2010. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2008. First place in CoNBA, 2006. Third place in CoNBA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2002. 
See More (Total 10)
Along with everyone else it seems, I would choose haste. The exception to this rule is FF8, if you've junctioned haste to speed than you're already fast as hell, and you won't have time to pick a move in time anyway if you're hasted. I would only use it against hard bosses and slow the ATB down to 50%. Slow actually comes in handy in a few games. I remember it hit most of the time against bosses in FFV.

--------------------
Hip-Hop QOTW:

"Yeah, where I'ma start it at, look I'ma part of that
Downtown Philly where it's realer than a heart attack
It wasn't really that ill until the start of crack
Now it's a body caught every night on the Almanac"

"Game Theory"
The Roots
Post #1797
Posted: 30th August 2002 00:31

Black Waltz

Awards:
Well, they are almost similar (like in FF8, Haste doubles speed while slow halfs the speed) so I would use spells depends on how many monsters there are. For Omega Weapon, since it's only one monster, I would use slow (that is, if it works on him).

--------------------
I will be there...
Post #1801
Posted: 1st September 2002 16:21

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I hardly ever used slow, even when I could. Haste was just more appealing.

SPOILER ALERT!  Highlight to view:
If you're talking about FFX's Omega weapon, he was a wuss! :-P
Post #1988
Posted: 15th October 2002 22:27
Onion Knight

Awards:
I say use haste first, then when its your turn again use slow, or you could just do it the other way around its just how you use them.

--------------------
In the darkness looking for a way out, then I hear a call from my heart telling me to go forward. Then out of nowhere I see someone waiting for me and as I get closer I hear these words "I Love You"
Post #3494
Posted: 12th November 2002 19:04
Returner

Awards:
Haste
Post #4826
Posted: 13th November 2002 00:01

Black Waltz

Awards:
Grrrrr Omega Weapon  >_<  how I loathe him. Gotta go with haste...if I can get it off in time.

--------------------
War is for the participants a test of character; it makes bad men worse and good men better. - Joshua Chamberlain

U sir R a n00b >:-( - Cactuar
Post #4841
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: