Male [ 19 ]  [22.09%]
Female [ 67 ]  [77.91%]
Total Votes: 86
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 17th August 2006 08:20

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I think it is femail in FF I but in the others I am not to sure especialli FF IIIj with the onion kids how the hell could a character change sex like that. dry.gif

--------------------
Spud, dont judge me by the name.
Post #128562
Posted: 19th August 2006 03:56

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I think the white mage is a girl because her robe looks sort of like a dress and the white wizard looks female.

--------------------
"There is no good, there is no bad. Just perspective and opinion." -Squall
Post #128739
Posted: 19th August 2006 06:03

Onion Knight

Awards:
Ok, here's my thoughts:

In the original, the White Mage was a dude. I say this, because before, for some reason, there weren't a lot of games that gave the option of being chicks.

Just look at Pokemon, you couldn't be a girl until Crystal Version for some reason. Before, they just didn't give you an option.

But in Origins and Dawn of Souls, I believe that they decided to change the sprites so that you could decide for yourself what to make whoever.

Also, another thing to prove that in the Origin it was a dude, is that in FF3 they used the same sprites for the first six jobs, and ALL four characters were four adopted MALE children. thumbup.gif

--------------------
"Kiros, the second black guy in all of Final Fantasy...unless ofcourse, you count the Black Mages...heh..."
~Me
Post #128746
Posted: 19th August 2006 14:03

Cactuar

Awards:
The White Mage sprite looks somewhat masculine, but the White Wizard could easily be either gender.

user posted image user posted image

I think the White Mage is androgynous, but I tend to give her a female name. In the GBA remake, the White Mage tends to have feminine default names:

1. Elia
2. Jenica
3. Kuku
4. Luca
5. Mikoto
6. Noah
7. Ruby
8. Sara
9. Sarina
10. Sherko

--------------------
The world before the fall...
Delightful is the light of dawn...
Noble is the heart of man...
Post #128763
Posted: 20th August 2006 07:12

Onion Knight

Awards:
Well, I only say the original was probably meant to be a male cuz I can't think of one NES game where you be a girl, especially in a RPG. But later, they stopped being sexist, heh.

And the default names, I believe, for all the classes were based on characters from other Final Fantasies with characters of that class.

Edit
Forgot to add this link...opps.
Autoname Reference Guide

This post has been edited by Tatsubei Yagyu on 20th August 2006 07:18

--------------------
"Kiros, the second black guy in all of Final Fantasy...unless ofcourse, you count the Black Mages...heh..."
~Me
Post #128842
Posted: 20th August 2006 14:28

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (Tatsubei Yagyu @ 20th August 2006 02:12)
And the default names, I believe, for all the classes were based on characters from other Final Fantasies with characters of that class.

Yes, they were. But it does suggest that -- at least in the GBA version -- the White Mage is female.

--------------------
The world before the fall...
Delightful is the light of dawn...
Noble is the heart of man...
Post #128859
Posted: 20th August 2006 15:41

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
I always thought the WHM was a girl... but as White Wizard it looks like a guy. I'm still gonna vote Female, though.

--------------------
Yami no kanata
Hikari no todokanu hate ni
Ima mo hitori
Kodoku na tabi o tsuzuketeiru
Post #128866
Posted: 24th August 2006 10:02

Returner

Awards:
Take a look at the other games and decide I picked female tho just so I don't be called chovanistic.

They can be what your imagination wants them to be

--------------------
Spud, dont judge me by the name.
Post #129200
Posted: 27th August 2006 04:20

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Whm looks alittle weaker than the other classes, so that could be a sign....but then again, look at Frodo blink.gif

--------------------
" Video Games are bad for you? That's what they said about Rock 'N' Roll. " -- Shigeru Miyamoto
Post #129422
Posted: 24th December 2006 16:06

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I've seent his argument so many times, but I figure I'd bring it up again.

Do you think wm is male or female.

Also... any input about how said class is depicted in the PS or GBA version is welcome, I've never played either and have no idea.
Post #139203
Posted: 24th December 2006 22:08

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNBA, 2007. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2009. 
Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
I null voted, because it's whichever I want it to be at the time. My current party on the NES has two White Wizards name JMES and SHRN, because James and Sharon are too long.

--------------------
"Getting upset over a trifle would indeed be unmannerly."

-Afra to Damia
Post #139226
Posted: 25th December 2006 00:39

Cactuar

Awards:
I believe the reason we think that the White Mage/Wizard is female is because of the stereotypes that have been based around women. If you look at a plethora of RPGs, you will see that the female leads are healer-type characters, generally being weak physically. Final Fantasy (at least the Origins/Dawn of Souls version) is no different.

--------------------
"You underestimate the strength of a Jedi's mind, Brejik. A mistake you won't live to regret, " -Bastila Shan(Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic)
Post #139233
Posted: 25th December 2006 01:28

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I never really thought of this much, but I've just seen it argued so much and I felt like posting a "new" topic in the FF area. I can see know that it's not new, and I'm lazy for not searching =P Thxs to whoever combined the topic.

I'm pretty sure... growing up, I always assumed that it was male. I think the original NES graphics are pretty unisex for WM and a little more masculine for WW. I can't say about the others as I've never played them, but am curious if they depicted them one way or another, so i guess this is the topic to find out in.

I also agree with the above poster, that the healer class has always been depicted as a nuturer and therefore, feminine. Funny... you got the two priest stereotypes... the tough, bulky, blunt-weapon-weilding cleric from D&D and the feminine healer.

Hrmm... I'm gonna go with male.

How are they depicted in the PS version and DoS?
Post #139236
Posted: 26th December 2006 12:19

Black Mage

Awards:
I think the original NES white mage looks like a girl. I do, however, like to pretend that he's a very effeminate boy, because I love that sort of rubbish. (Like Arc in FFIII DS)

Now, excuse me while I go back to perusing my collection of photos of boys kissing.

~~~~ heart.gif
heart.gif

~~`heart.gif

This post has been edited by Ronin on 27th December 2006 13:12

--------------------
"Some fight for justice. Some fight for law . . .
. . .Cecil, what will you fight for?"

~KluYa
Post #139303
Posted: 26th December 2006 19:46

Cactuar

Awards:
I think all the main characters in FFIII are feminine. So, basically, you have a party of all girls in FFIII DS. wacko.gif Anyways, I believe that the Red Mage/Wizard in Origins/DoS can be androgenous(sp?), as well. It's also the same for the Black Mage/Wizard; we can't see the Black Mage's face, so we can't really see if it's male or female. The Black Mage seems to be more masculine, though. (Vivi)

--------------------
"You underestimate the strength of a Jedi's mind, Brejik. A mistake you won't live to regret, " -Bastila Shan(Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic)
Post #139329
Posted: 27th December 2006 16:54

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I always considered the White Mage a female, even before I read 8-Bit Theatre. The sprite just looks too effemenite. The White Wizard in DoS still looks a bit more womanly, if only because of the sterotype of long hair. The whole thing about the sprites in the original version - maybe when a White Mage changes class, they change gender? XD

It's odd that no-one ever seems to question the Black Mage/Wizard being male. When you think about it, you don't even see their hair or faces, so it is impossible to even guess their gender.

--------------------
Post #139392
Posted: 28th December 2006 15:18

Cactuar

Awards:
ive said it before and ill say it again. Almost all the sprites from FF1 could be either boy or girl. Exceptions are the warrior and mabey the monk.

--------------------
A hero is somone who steps up when everyone else backs down.

Your greatest adversary hides inside your mirror.
Post #139470
Posted: 28th December 2006 15:53
Returner

i dont know if this has been said yet, but taken from this site:

The White Mage's forte lies in the healing arts, and her usefulness

White Wizard is a master of all things White Magic, and her curative abilities
Post #139474
Posted: 28th December 2006 17:10

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
The FFI White Mage could go either way.

The FFI White Wizard looks way too buff to be female. Long hair is not enough to convince me someone is female. In most of the medeival stories and games you see, the men have longer hair anyway, so pointing that detail out actually makes more of a case for the male argument.

And why am I discussing pixelated gender?!? laugh.gif

--------------------
Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them.

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #139480
Posted: 28th December 2006 17:30

Cactuar

Awards:
Just by looking at the sprites, the White Wizard looks pretty masculine to me (especially this one: user posted image ), and the White Mage just looks androgynous. I'm gonna have to go with male.

--------------------
Come with me so I can show you how to live
Burning the candle at both ends
I’m gripping at the walls around me
Don’t complicate it
I’m addicted to this life
I’ll be your token of attention
All my lies come down to this

-Orgy, "Beautiful Disgrace"
Post #139482
Posted: 28th December 2006 20:05

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Joelskates @ 28th December 2006 10:53)
i dont know if this has been said yet, but taken from this site:

The White Mage's forte lies in the healing arts, and her usefulness

White Wizard is a master of all things White Magic, and her curative abilities

We made a conscious decision to say it that way. We don't claim it to be canon.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #139505
Posted: 30th December 2006 19:30
Returner

I'd harbor a vote at female, just because nearly every final fantasy game I played had a female white mage.

This post has been edited by Seiryuu on 30th December 2006 19:30
Post #139658
Posted: 30th December 2006 22:04

Black Mage

Awards:
White Mage is definitely a girl.

This post has been edited by Edge1337 on 30th December 2006 22:05

--------------------
I'm finally back, everyone! It's been months, maybe even a year since I last visited this website!
Post #139670
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: