CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
FF4 Section Enhancements

Posted: 26th September 2010 19:46

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Three things:

ONE

The Bahamut section may need to be updated for the DS version too. I have two acquaintances from the TV Tropes community (Electivirus and Darxzero, to name names) who tell me that the Wall trick does NOT work in the DS version.

TWO

It would be nice to have, perhaps linked to from the FAQ, a sortable table containing the names of each character, monster, place, and item in each version of the game. This would mean, for example, a table that can show me that FFII US shows "Milon Z.", FFIV (original) shows whatever is in this video, the GBA version still calls him "Scarmiglione", and so forth. Would be best to have this table divided into sections for characters, monsters, places, each weapon type, each armor type, key items, and other items.

I'm quite willing to help out with putting this table together.

Would be even nicer if we included the names used in the most prevalent ROM translations of FFIV SNES, but since you don't seem to want to include ROM translations, oh well.

THREE

Is there any mention of the Pink Puff's "Let's dance!" anywhere in our guides? There's on mention of it in the Pink Puff enemy entry, the walkthrough, or the FAQ, even though our FAQ has a question on them and there's a walkthrough subsection specifically about them linked to from the FAQ.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 26th September 2010 19:49

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #187907
Posted: 29th September 2010 01:21

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 26th September 2010 14:46)
Three things:

ONE

The Bahamut section may need to be updated for the DS version too. I have two acquaintances from the TV Tropes community (Electivirus and Darxzero, to name names) who tell me that the Wall trick does NOT work in the DS version.

TWO

It would be nice to have, perhaps linked to from the FAQ, a sortable table containing the names of each character, monster, place, and item in each version of the game. This would mean, for example, a table that can show me that FFII US shows "Milon Z.", FFIV (original) shows whatever is in this video, the GBA version still calls him "Scarmiglione", and so forth. Would be best to have this table divided into sections for characters, monsters, places, each weapon type, each armor type, key items, and other items.

I'm quite willing to help out with putting this table together.

Would be even nicer if we included the names used in the most prevalent ROM translations of FFIV SNES, but since you don't seem to want to include ROM translations, oh well.

THREE

Is there any mention of the Pink Puff's "Let's dance!" anywhere in our guides? There's on mention of it in the Pink Puff enemy entry, the walkthrough, or the FAQ, even though our FAQ has a question on them and there's a walkthrough subsection specifically about them linked to from the FAQ.

1) Can't verify that myself, though being from TV Tropes, clearly they're wizards. No, seriously, I wouldn't be shocked were they right but because we don't cover the DS or claim to give tips for it, I've never bothered to verify. Perhaps should we do so later it would be a good idea.

2) If we thought that it was something that people would really use, we would probably be able to generate it from the information we already have in the data tables. Not for versions we don't cover, but you hit that nail right on the head - we try not to piecemeal out information for games we don't cover. It only creates a disjointed set of data the more we do it. But to my original point, how many people would really use it? In my experience, far more people are interested in direct gameplay information than tables of data that aren't connected within a single game. That being said, if people did mention wanting that, it would be pretty trivial to do it for the versions we cover.

3) There is no mention. It's a neat easter egg, but I guess none of us working on the section really got excited enough about it to put it in the walkthrough. Not sure what to say about that. Guess I could! smile.gif

Splitting these last two posts off to C/S, as there might be more discussion around them that isn't FAQ-related.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #187967
Posted: 29th September 2010 16:35

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Oh, I put them in the FAQ thread because I went to the FAQ looking for it.

As for Bahamut, I haven't played the DS version myself, but I think it may just be safe to put a disclaimer that the strategy given in Bahamut's chapter, and linked to from the FAQ, may not necessarily be correct for all versions of the game.

As for the table, I've found myself wanting this more and more, as people talk about the GBA and DS versions while I've only played the SNES US release version. I couldn't think of a better place to put it than a separate page linked to from the FAQ.

As for the Pink Puffs, whoever edits that section of the walkthrough should include:
* A description of "Let's Dance"--mentioning how it switches from one chocobo theme to another, and perhaps cracking open the ROM to figure out exactly what it does to "kinda berserk" the party, and the timing (I've seen people pull off Rydia's Bahamut summon before they get her, and I've seen the same fail in the same YT video).
* And a reassuring mention that Pink Puffs aren't super-strong against physical attacks. Just for fun.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #187981
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: