CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Where's the love?

Posted: 10th November 2002 23:58

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Square has decided to make a sequel to FFX, which thrills me, but why not make one for FFVII?  Square has to know that FFVII is by far it's best, most popular, and best selling Final Fantasy.  FFVII deserves a sequel.

--------------------
"The Master of Past, Present, and Future has returned."
Post #4761
Posted: 11th November 2002 02:02
Returner

Awards:
Final Fantasy VII is only the "best" because it pulled a lot of new gamers in. 90% of the people I know who have played FFs before the Playstation agree that Square reached its peak at 6 and slowly started to roll down hill. Of course, the slope when they got to 8 and beyond was much steeper than at 7 but...still.

--------------------
Why don't you go hang out with the village idiot so you have someone to look up to?
Post #4763
Posted: 11th November 2002 04:57

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
90% of the people I know who have played FFs before the Playstation agree that Square reached its peak at 6 and slowly started to roll down hill. Of course, the slope when they got to 8 and beyond was much steeper than at 7 but...still.

Add me to that list!  It's sad, but true.   -_-

--------------------
"And that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped” -Sir Bedevere the Wise
Post #4768
Posted: 11th November 2002 15:40

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
I don't know, you see.  Why is it that people who played 6 then 7 usually prefer 6, but when you've played them in the opposite order, you tend to prefer 7?  It seems to generally hold quite well (not universally of course).

If FF6 were THAT much better than 7, wouldn't people who then went back and played 6 realise that it were better, usually?  (Except for graphics zealots, of course, but there isn't THAT much to get graphically excited about in 7)

In my opinion, there isn't a massive difference in overall quality of either.  I played them both for the first time within months of each other, and couldn't really choose a favourite after playing both, but eventually plumped for 7, the first one I finished.  But it was close.

There are factors in determining which game in a given series you will probably like best.  Where a series produces similar games, and there is no standout feature to differentiate quality, you'll often prefer the first one you played: it seemed more fresh, apart from anything else.  You might choose FF6 as best after playing FF4 or FF1 first, however, since there are clear differences in depth of characters and gameplay, and even graphics and music and sound synthesis.  But in the case of 6 vs. 7, you have two excellent games, made in a similar era, with similar (though not identical) strengths.

It might also depend on the graphics environment you prefer, or whether you prefer a strong central storyline and character (7... you may not like Cloud, but he has a lot of depth and motive, really) vs. a strong divergant supporthing cast (6).  (And of course, I'm not saying either game was bad at the opposite feature, but those seemed to be the ones that showed through most clearly on each game).

I'm not trying to tell you what to think, or why you think things.  But I feel it's unfair that people who consider 7 their best-of-series are often ridiculed as Johnny-come-latelies who have no idea how clearly superior previous installments are supposed to be.  Just because you played it before me doesn't make your opinion more valid.

Now, MOVING BACK TO THE ACTUAL TOPIC:

I think there was a topic here about the relative merits of sequelising FF7 vs. FF10 here, wasn't there?  Bond's post in the FF10-2 topic linked to an article suggesting that an FF7-2 was under consideration.  I'd personally much rather see a prequel, since you could set it in any number of interesting-sounding periods in FF7 history.  But in any case, I'm much more interested in seeing that than an FF10 sequel, though I'd rip someone's arms off if they resurrected Aeris and dressed her like Lara Croft or something.  (Yeah, I know Tifa already dresses slutty like, but I'm jabbing snidely at FF10-2's premise here: let me).

Post #4774
Posted: 11th November 2002 17:17

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
Yeah, check that topic for it. And add me to the 10% then.

Anyways, I'd really like to see more of FF7. Probably prequel more than sequel, because I can't think of that much more that could have happened. Although it would definitely solve my query with FF7's "Red XIII" ending.

Areas of interest for a prequel could include:

The Shinra war against Wutai
The creation of SOLDIER
The comeabouts of Shinra and Mako Reactors
Midgar
The Ancient Centari(sp?)

Just to name a few I remember. Haven't played the game in almost 2 years.

--------------------
The clouds ran away, opened up the sky
And one by one I watched every constellation die
And there I was frozen, standing in my backyard
Face to face, eye to eye, staring at the last star
I should've known, walked all the way home
To find that she wasn't here, I'm still all alone

-Atmosphere "Always Coming Back Home to You"
Post #4778
Posted: 11th November 2002 23:01

Lunarian

Awards:
The problem with making sequals to FF6 and 7 will be this: Who is the bad guy? Kefka turned to dust and Sephy...nuff said. I never played X and want to. I hope they don't make a sequal before I have the chance to tackle X.

--------------------
At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)
Post #4796
Posted: 12th November 2002 00:16
Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
if they made a prequel to 7 it would be awesome to play as Zack.
and if you dont know who zack is then you need to play ff7 more often.  ;)

--------------------
Why do kamakazi pilots wear helmets?
Post #4804
Posted: 12th November 2002 16:33

Black Mage

Awards:
Yeah, Zack would be awesome. I can remember playing through 7 the first time and just hoping that he would turn up as a secret character, or something, 'cause he was just that cool. 8)

--------------------
*END TRANSMISSION*
Post #4820
Posted: 13th November 2002 00:05

Black Waltz

Awards:
FF6 and 7 would be difficult to make sequals I believe. FF6 because all magic was wiped out, of course, Square could come up with a way to bring magic back like so many fan fiction writers have done like yours truely. I think FF4 and 5 would be easier to make sequals, especially FF4.

--------------------
War is for the participants a test of character; it makes bad men worse and good men better. - Joshua Chamberlain

U sir R a n00b >:-( - Cactuar
Post #4842
Posted: 13th November 2002 01:35

Black Mage

Awards:
I don't think making sequel to 7 would be that hard.  A perfect enemy could be:

1. Jenova (If the Cetra couldn't kill her, what makes you think Cloud and friends could?  Also, she didn't play that major a role in this game, so it would be good to give her a bigger and better role in a sequel.)

2. Turks (The Turks ran away, most likely leaving Midgar.  Now that Shinra is destroyed, they can pick up the pieces and start a new reign of evil.)

3.  Sephiroth (It's a far off theory, but Sephiroth is technically alive in the Lifestream.  Maybe he can find a way to control it, therefore using it to do his evil plans.  Aeris is there, and maybe she can call upon her friends for help.)

--------------------
Post #4846
Posted: 13th November 2002 05:06

Dragoon

Awards:
First place in CoNCAA, 2016. Third place in CoNCAA, 2015. First place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. 
Third place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2004. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. 
See More (Total 10)
Zack lovers? Back, back I say!

But with Aeries in the life stream too, and she would just be like "Aw hell no."

If it were a sequel, I really don't know if they could make a believable enough story to bring Sephy back.

--------------------

Post #4861
Posted: 17th November 2002 00:58

Black Mage

Awards:
True, Aeris is probably queen of the Lifestream anyway.  Still, if they don't want to make a sequel game, they could do a movie or something.

--------------------
Post #5030
Posted: 17th November 2002 04:05

Black Mage

Awards:
I think it would be kinda lame for a sequel for FFVII, or for FFVI for that matter. They kinda' nail things shut.

Tidu-who, nice thinking you got there. That would be awesome to participate in the war in Wutai and everything you thought up.

Along the same lines, FFVI would be a good candidate for a prequel too with the War of the Magi. Seems more like a passing reference and would probably wouldn't include any old characters ('cept for maybe Mog or Umaro... if they can live that long). But any type of war setting gives that kind of ominous mood, which I think is cool.

I heard FFX didn't end rather solidly, but I never played it, so...
Post #5047
Posted: 20th November 2002 11:37
Returner

Awards:
I heard somewhere thatthey would do a sequel to FFVII but i dont know if its true
Post #5158
Posted: 20th November 2002 21:31

Dragoon

Awards:
See More (Total 10)
Well, actually yes, there is a prequel being created for FF6. Only not made by square. A whole bunch of FF Disciples got together and are creating one using the same graphics, look, platform etc. that was for FF6. There used to be a topic and a member on here who was a part of it. Might have been before the board moved though.

--------------------

Post #5168
Posted: 23rd November 2002 18:53

Lunarian

Awards:
Yanno what would be awesome? A PREquel to FF6 and 7. How kick ass would that be? Where like the Turks build up Midgar for the idealism of a better world only to find that it damages the lifestream, or being the esper people and shutting out the evil Empire from our world. How's that?

--------------------
At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)
Post #5259
Posted: 23rd November 2002 19:03

Crusader

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Second place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoNCAA, 2008. Third place in CoNCAA, 2009. First place in CoNBA, 2007. 
I think that the only choice is to make a prequel for FFVI and VII.  I mean, FFX left a lot of open space after you beat the game.  A lot of things could have happened.  However FFVI and VII seemed like they had a definite end and you couldn't keep going into another adventure.  It's just like it stops there.  With FFX you can at least imagine another possible storyline starting.  So if they were to make a "2" out of anything, I think FFX would be just dandy for the role.

Edit
 Hmm, I almost forgot.  FFX was better than FFVII anyway.  So neah.

--------------------
I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Post #5260
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: