Male of Female?
Male [ 19 ]  [22.09%]
Female [ 67 ]  [77.91%]
Total Votes: 86
Guests cannot vote 
Posted: 30th August 2005 07:32

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in the 2004 Gogo Fanfiction contest. Third place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
Well it's pretty self explanitory-
Is the Whitemage a boy or girl.

I always thought of whitemages as girls. 8bit theatre seems to agree.
However the White Wizard Job Upgrade makes it look more like a male, although it could just be a beefy female. wink.gif

--------------------
If you've been mod-o-fied,
It's an illusion, and you're in-between.
Don't you be tarot-fied,
It's just alot of nothing, so what can it mean?
~Frank Zappa

Sins exist only for people who are on the Way or approaching the Way
Post #95080
Posted: 30th August 2005 08:05

Group Icon
Palace Guard

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNCAA, 2002. 
Has more than thirty news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I think that the white mage can be either. The gender of characters doesn't matter in FF1. It's up to the player to decide, right? If the player thinks that fighter is a female, there's nothing in the game that really says otherwise.

In 8 bit theatre, the creator chose to give the characters personalities and genders, so he made white mage female. This works in his storyline, but it doesn't mean that he thinks white mage in ff games is female, or should be.

--------------------
I had an old signature. Now I've changed it.
Post #95081
Posted: 30th August 2005 13:03

SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I was pretty much ganna say the same as Lady Elena. (*bows* me lady.) The white mage/wizard is simply whatever sex you want it to be...so really, you need a third option. ^^``

--------------------
The Arcana are the means by which ALL is revealed.
Post #95091
Posted: 30th August 2005 14:15

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
i don't think its really anything specific either, though it seems more feminine(however the hell thats spelled) than other jobs. i guess theres gotta be one female in any rpg, and whos it looks it most in this game? fighter? i think not.

This post has been edited by kuetipo on 30th August 2005 18:14

--------------------
ADAEAFADAEAFAGAEAFAGAAAFAGAAABbAGAAAFAGAEAFADAEA
C#ADAAABbGAAAFAGAEAFADAEAC#AFADAEAC#ADAAABbAGAA
AEAFADAGAEAFADAEAC#AD
Post #95095
Posted: 30th August 2005 14:25

Returner

Awards:
What, you never heard of Xena?

There was a time when *only men* were allowed to be doctors, you know...
Post #95097
Posted: 30th August 2005 17:17

Dragoon

Awards:
I just conisider the white mage in FFI female, don't know know exactly why but i just do, maybe because she looks like a girl.
Post #95110
Posted: 30th August 2005 18:03

Black Mage

Awards:

What, you never heard of Xena?

There was a time when *only men* were allowed to be doctors, you know..

what i meant was that fighters sprite didn't look like a female. i wasn't being sexist or something. sorry.

i edited my previos post so it won't come out that way.

This post has been edited by kuetipo on 30th August 2005 18:16

--------------------
ADAEAFADAEAFAGAEAFAGAAAFAGAAABbAGAAAFAGAEAFADAEA
C#ADAAABbGAAAFAGAEAFADAEAC#AFADAEAC#ADAAABbAGAA
AEAFADAGAEAFADAEAC#AD
Post #95114
Posted: 30th August 2005 18:25

Group Icon
Wild 'n Wooly Shambler

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
Only thing even remotely feminine 'bout him/her that I can see is the long (possibly flowing?) hair as a White Wizard. But I hardly think that's enough to clearly distinguish a sex, seeing as both genders frequently have that hairstyle in RPG's as well as in real life.

The class isn't a good indicator either since male white mages, as stated by job title, are present in FFIIIj and FFV.

So basically, yeah. He's/she's whatever you want him/her to be, as there's no real evidence pointing either way.

--------------------
Words of Wisdom:

If something can go wrong, it will.

If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.
- Murphy’s Law

Boing! Zoom! - Mr. Saturn
Post #95119
Posted: 30th August 2005 21:05

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
That was a though decision for me when I was a kid. I ended up thinking that "she" was male, because when you become adult, the White Wizard look like a man. Let's be objective, the White Wizard probably is a male...if not its OK, I guess.
Some silly evidence of its gender, could be the manual guide that came with the original NES cartridge. In this manual the characters were named :
Fighter= NEST
Bl.Belt= HOWA
Wh.Mage= TOMY
Bl.Mage =PHIL

--------------------
"Its no cheating if you don't get caught"
Post #95139
Posted: 31st August 2005 02:47

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 10)
I think taht whyte Mage is obvously a gurl Becaws she looks like won. when she levels up to whyte Wizard, she has pretty long hair, the markings of a tru gril. Iv'e always played Finalfantasy I thinking that she was a girl.

--------------------

plz help, keyboard is borken

Heh, enough with the fun....

When I've played FFI in the past (even when I was a lot younger) I always had this feeling that white mage was a woman. This is just because I like to see females in video games, so I assign certain characters the female gender. (I was tickled pink when I found out that Samus was a woman, back in the day). White mage may or may not be a woman in 'actuality' (for all we know, fighter is a woman). Although, white mage being a woman fits with a history of Final Fantasy characters. It seems that most white mages are women in FFs (not counting the odd numbered FFs up to FFV).

--------------------
kame, tortue, tortuga, schildkröte, tartaruga, turtle

"Arthur Dent?"
"Yes."
"Arthur Philip Dent?"
"Yes."
"You're a total knee biter."
Post #95166
Posted: 31st August 2005 06:58
Group Icon
SOLDIER

male. they are all male. note that the white wizard, in both art versions, is not at all female in appearance.
Post #95180
Posted: 31st August 2005 10:19

Returner

Awards:
The protective nature of White Magic could imply a motherly instinct kinda thing.

So I guess it works that way.

Is a female Mage not called something different like Mana Maiden?
Post #95201
Posted: 31st August 2005 10:36

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
I had already felt that the FF1 white mage seemed female, but if ye look at how the female white mage is depicted in FFT, she looks jest like the white mage in FF1. Both of the white mages in FFIX are female, too. This has only made me lean further toward the idea that the FF1 white mage is, in fact, female in design.

--------------------
Post #95203
Posted: 31st August 2005 12:47
Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Reading this topic, I remembered the very same question being posed on another site. The arguments were:

Female:
-looks just like the [female] White Mage from Chocobo Racing
-the White Mage/Wizard characters in later FF games are almost always female
-Amano artwork (found in the manual for FF1 WSC) shows a female White Wizard
-the rest of the classes are male, she balances things a little.

Male:
-the White Wizard looks like Jesus
-FF3's White Mage looks even more feminine, but pretty much the same, and that's a boy
-the rest of the classes are male, it's appropriate for the time period/setting
-the [English] manual refers to him as a male

That one in bold is pretty convincing, really. Despite that, I always consider my White Mage female, just because s/he looks slightly more feminine and the White Mages have always been typically female.
Post #95212
Posted: 31st August 2005 14:36

SOLDIER

Awards:
Totally a male.

I have the ding dang Nintendo Power special feature, immaculately preserved, in which he is introduced, and forever referred to, as male. Plus, in the NES cart (not so much in the Origins graphics) the White Wizard has got a definite masculine brow/face whatever. Dude looks like a lady, but is a dude.

This post has been edited by L. Cully on 31st August 2005 14:37

--------------------
Some ghost of me might greet my son
the day he is delivered.

Eternal Sleep, Track 1-1: The Blue Planet
Post #95217
Posted: 31st August 2005 15:12

Black Mage

Awards:
In FFOrigins, the white mage is named ROSA in the manual. I say it’s definitely a female.

--------------------
And don't drive your car off a cliff like I did. Girl, no man is worth 10 points on your license.
Post #95220
Posted: 31st August 2005 17:50

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. 
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Quote (Auragaea @ 31st August 2005 10:12)
In FFOrigins, the white mage is named ROSA in the manual. I say it’s definitely a female.

Uhhh, well, for the record, bud, that's the name of a FFIV character. I don't think there are official names for the FFI characters. I don't have the manual handy right now, but if the white mage was named Rosa, he/she was probably named by a playtester (or whatever) who also thought that he/she was a girl.

--------------------
Post #95227
Posted: 31st August 2005 18:41

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
If you look at each class, you can see them as either distinctively male or female, depending on what you want it to be at the moment.

Females only get to be white mages in this game series, so saying the White Mage is female is sexist. So I'm going to say that there are no female heroes in this one.

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #95231
Posted: 31st August 2005 21:00

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Female. The mage obvously is female, and the wizard looks like a tomboy.

--------------------
What if he shot you first instead of your secretary?

I suppose I'd have to catch the bullet, wouldn't I
Post #95242
Posted: 2nd September 2005 01:04
Lunarian

Awards:
Does it really matter, anyway? Does it really matter if its a boy or a girl? Just because some White Mage has long hair doesn't mean its a girl.. And what about that Black Mage by the way? Is it a boy or a girl? Just because it looks cool doesn't mean its a boy. It could be a girl..

But what does gender have to do with FF1? Next I'm going to expect some small-brained FFIV fan talk about White Mages and Black Mages being a boy or a girl in the FFIV topic that I'm going to have to noobify them as a... well... umm.. NOOB!

My answer is "Not Known." Stop trying to escape reality with silly theories.
Post #95323
Posted: 2nd September 2005 04:57
Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
I'm pretty sure that all of the FF1 characters are meant to be male. No, the fact that they're male isn't important to the story (and there's no character development to speak of), and that fact makes me even more sure that they're meant to be male. Maleness is unmarked. Being female is something that requires an explanation. Besides, they look like men.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi.
Post #95335
Posted: 2nd September 2005 19:00

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
White Mage looks like a woman, but White Wizard looks like a man. blink.gif

--------------------
eh?
Post #95369
Posted: 2nd September 2005 19:46

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I also believe that the White Mage is female, for these reasons:

1. The manual for FF DoS refers to her as female (her name is Sarah)
2. Her sprite design looks exactly like the female White Mage in FFT.

Then again, it really doesn't matter. Heck, for all we know, the Red Mage could be female. For this reason, I tend to (sometimes) give all the characters except for the Warrior and the Monk the most androgynous(sp?) names possible. This way, I do not have to choose a gender. happy.gif

--------------------
"No matter what happens, I will always be with you... forever." ---- Pocahontas, Pocahontas

"Only those who are already at the top are rewarded without trying."----- Delita Hyral, Final Fantasy Tactics

http://www.ffshrine.org/fft/fft-midi/1-42-back_fire01.mid ---- My favorite FFT battle song
Post #95372
Posted: 2nd September 2005 23:50

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Here are some sprites of FFI Nes, for those who don't know about it. Its true, White mage in FFI looks like a female. ( Thor hammer, remember it?)
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

But White Wizard looks like a male, so it has to be a male...( its true, he looks like Jesus...I also thought about it as a child happy.gif..)

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
It has to be a male!

--------------------
"Its no cheating if you don't get caught"
Post #95403
Posted: 3rd September 2005 02:43

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
I don't think they are either of them, I find they look asexual.

I've wondered about that question a couple of months ago and couldn't find the answer that's why I'm saying that.

--------------------
Sayonara
Post #95415
Posted: 3rd September 2005 03:17

Onion Knight

Awards:
Well, I think White Mage is a girl. When I first played Final Fantasy 1 via rom, I though White Mage was I guy. Well, when my friend came over my house with Chocobo Racing and I was like "The hell? White Mage is a female?" When I had play Final Fantasy IV, their was a female white mage (Forgot her name). Now I think alll White Mages are going to end up females in the Final Fantay games.

--------------------
Life....Hopes...Dreams. Where did they came from and where are the headed? These Things...I am going to destory!
-Kefka
Post #95420
Posted: 3rd September 2005 19:34

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I think White Mage should be a girl.

She's not. She's a guy. There are no female characters in the NES version. You just have to use your imagination in the end. (Red Mages looked a bit female too...)

However - in Origins, they made her a girl. So, in short, White Mage = Girl in Origins, Guy in the original.

I don't want to get into the discussion why, because it just works that way.

thumbup.gif

--------------------
"A little tight, but the price was right" - Locke
"Oh, what a Fuddy Duddy" - Relm
"..." - Shadow
"I'm a General, not some love starved twit" - Celes
"Although Edgar showers his attention on the ladies, most are smart enough to pay him no attention. Oh! King Edgar!" - Figaro Castle Inn Attendant
Post #95466
Posted: 4th September 2005 04:54

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen fanarts in CoN galleries. 
I think he's male and that the reason we all keep thinkin' female is because how our mind works. Why else would everyone paint angels as either feminine guys or girls?
Also, your mind considers curves in art as good, and angles evil. Women=curvy=associated with good in art.
Men have angular faces, so they're always drawn as the culprites.

That's what my middle school teacher said, anywho!
^.^ The Relm's two cents.

--------------------
You're telling me that there's no hope.

I'm telling you you're wrong.
Post #95505
Posted: 4th September 2005 18:56

Onion Knight

Awards:
I always thought of my FF1 white mage as maleso thats why i picked it. Although,Aeris in FFVII(considered the white mage), FFIX Garnet and Eiko, FFX Yuna. So, pick what u want, it could be either.
Post #95535
Posted: 4th September 2005 22:26

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I always thought the White Mage was a girl, but it can be whatever you want it to be.

--------------------
Could you repeat that?
Post #95566
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: