CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
I just started playing again...

Posted: 3rd August 2002 17:50

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
See title. However, this time it's the hardtype version, translated to english (got it on this site!). The translation is much better, and there are some cool abilities (Dark Wave, Remember) that I never got to use. I'm used to FF2, so do any of you have any tips for the hardtype (Chronicles) version?

--------------------
Lou: There's a couple of guys fighting down at the aquarium, Chief.
Wiggum: Do they still sell those frozen bananas?
Lou: I think so.
Wiggum: Let's roll.
Post #564
Posted: 3rd August 2002 20:26

Group Icon
It's not the end of the world.

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
Hurray, finally someone is playing the J2E version!

I found this quite difficult, but generally most of the problems I encountered could be solved by the strategy "If at first you don't succeed, go back and level up insanely".  Good luck.  ':)'
Post #566
Posted: 3rd August 2002 22:28

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Well, since the version I'm playing IS the Chronicles version, I can lend some pointers.

1. Level up! It's the only way you're gonna make it through this one!

2. Use the battle items when needed! They help a ton (Yet even I don't use them TOO often)

3. Don't do what I did, keep autofire and Memory on Cecil's Darkwave attack. It does cost him HP...I killed him once on accident doing it...DUH! ':p'

4. BIG helper: After you get Paladin Cecil, kill off everyone but him and level up INSANELY on the summit of ordeals! I left there with him at Level 36, and lemme tell you: He was VERY strong! Not only that, everyone with a few exceptions come at or around his level, so leveling up lots on Ordeals is a big helper.

Hope that helps! ':D'
Post #570
Posted: 4th August 2002 22:34
Returner

Awards:
I'm not the one who asked in the first place, but I've just started playing that version too, so thanks.  ':)'

--------------------
"Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself."
Post #675
Posted: 5th August 2002 02:19

Crusader

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Second place in CoNCAA, 2014. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2004. First place in CoNCAA, 2008. Third place in CoNCAA, 2009. First place in CoNBA, 2007. 
Tiddles and Sas have the picture.  Level the leveledy freaking up.  Pretty much the same with any RPG, have the patience to get to insanely high levels, and the part where you're stuck will be a breeze.  Good Hunting!  ...or something.

--------------------
I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Post #687
Posted: 8th August 2002 06:03
Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Leveling up is the surefire best way to ruin a perfectly fun game.  Me, I try to make it more challenging.  Besides, leveling is boring.  You should be at the Lunar Castle by L36 (or 40 for Kain as he never dies and consequently racks up the points '8)'  ).  Otherwise you're wasting time leveling when you could be having fun!  Pointers:  Palom's Strengthen is much stronger than you think.  Take advantage of those kids while you still have them.  
The only time you want to level around is right before Cecil turns Paladin.  Kill all the Ravens you see (1 hit) and use the money to stock up on supplies.  Might as well, as it takes twenty minutes and you'll have all the hi-potions you'll ever need.
Oh and I don't know if your PSX version has it but the Programmers room is fun.  Get some cool stuff there.
Everything else is pretty much the same, only it's a lot more fun.  Use those extra abilities you have.

bryce

--------------------
i see you've set this time aside to humiliate yourself in public.
Post #810
Posted: 8th August 2002 09:37

Group Icon

Awards:
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Second place in CoNCAA, 2012. Member of more than ten years. First place in CoN World Cup, 2010. 
Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 12)
It's not the PSX Chronicles version, it's the J2E ROM available on this site.  The programmer's room is definitely there and worth a visit.

And yeah, I don't recommend levelling insanely unless you really like wandering round and round fighting the same enemies constantly.  But, if you can't get past a section, it's a safe way to make sure you do next time.
Post #815
Posted: 11th August 2002 22:41
Treasure Hunter

Awards:
j2e, huh?  Me, I just got the original FF4j rom, put on a language patch and did it that way.  Works great, but the names of weapons&armor are a lot different on mine as compared to what you folks have.

--------------------
i see you've set this time aside to humiliate yourself in public.
Post #968
Posted: 11th August 2002 22:47

Group Icon

Awards:
See More (Total 12)
If it's a language patch, it was probably the one made by J2E, since I know of no other (complete/still available) ones.

The ROM you can get here is just FF4J with that patch preapplied.

Most of the names in our guides, however, come from FFC or FF2US.
Post #970
Posted: 12th August 2002 16:34

Crusader

Awards:
Well, I'm on the moon, pretty much at the end of the game. I have the Ragnarok, Holy Lance, Masamune and Murasame, Ribbons, Bahamut, etc. I'm still gaining levels here and there, because I like having all my characters at lv. 99. Sometime soon, I'll visit the Programmers Room, and meanwhile I'm trying to obtain the dragon whip, dragon spear, and adamant armor (ha). Thanks a lot to everyone. Though, in my opinion, it wasn't that much harder.

--------------------
Lou: There's a couple of guys fighting down at the aquarium, Chief.
Wiggum: Do they still sell those frozen bananas?
Lou: I think so.
Wiggum: Let's roll.
Post #1032
Posted: 16th August 2002 11:58

Group Icon
SOLDIER

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Contributed to the Final Fantasy VII section of CoN. 
I didn't find it that much harder either, the only thing that I really had to do a few times was Dark Elf and Zeromous.
Post #1134
Posted: 16th August 2002 16:43
Onion Knight

Awards:
I agree too. It really isn't all that harder from the easy versions. It requires the same strategies to beat the bosses and the only downside is less experience for battles and more HP for enemies. Not much of an added challenge.

The Programmer's Room is an awesome place. Make sure you check that out.

--------------------
"If it is weak, either kill it or ignore it. Anything else honors it."
-Kaervek
Post #1142
Posted: 16th August 2002 18:58

Group Icon
Staff Emeritus

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
For the record, J2E did a MUCH better job than Square on the translation. I just got FFC last night, and Kain...is a Dragon. :( J2E >>>> Square
Post #1149
Posted: 16th August 2002 19:24
Onion Knight

Awards:
Well, I think there's a Kn. after the Dragon which any sort of logical mind will register as Dragon Knight. That's exactly what Dragoons are. Dragon Knights. If you've ever played Legend of Dragoon, they often refer to them as the same thing. Maybe Square was trying to be politically correct? =P

--------------------
"If it is weak, either kill it or ignore it. Anything else honors it."
-Kaervek
Post #1151
Posted: 17th August 2002 03:03
Engineer

Awards:
Well, I never played FF4 period, but I must know... in this translation... do they still say...
YOU SPOONY BARD!
??

^_^

--------------------
I close my mouth now and I scream,
Open the door, there's nothing worth redeeming
I saw your face before in rough,
You should wait around a while, your body's bound to turn up.
So low for how high?
-Matt Good, "Running for Home"
Post #1181
Posted: 17th August 2002 11:36

Group Icon

Awards:
See More (Total 12)
However, in J2E's version, they manage to fit the whole title "Dragon Knight" in.  The ASM work is MUCH MUCH better.

And yes, the spoony bard is in this version.  It wasn't in the earlier J2E version I played, but it was often requested that it be put back, I hear, and so it was.
Post #1208
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: