CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
when did you first play final fantasy 1

Posted: 20th October 2006 05:11
Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. 
answer the topic question. i first played this great game when i was seven years old believe it or not even though most people didnt even have working nintendos by then. i was lucky because my older sister had a nintendo still and she had this game. so i got to experience my first final fantasy game on the original system and in old school style back when the games they made were still good. i played the playstation remake too and the new graphics were okay but they dumbed it down too much and made it too easy. i would definitely stick with the original but maybe im just old school like that.

--------------------
moetsuki
moetsuki
motoranai yakusoku no basho
jouzu ni habataku watashi wo mitsumete
Post #132920
Posted: 20th October 2006 05:21

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
A long time ago, on a certain uncle's NES far away...but yeah, and then I couldn't find it for years. xD I'm so glad I found it again. I also played the DoS and Origins version, which were also enjoyable (though DoS was really easy, at least it had all those cameo bosses).

--------------------
Post #132921
Posted: 20th October 2006 13:06

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
About 3 years ago on a ROM. I've never finished the original. I have completed to DoS version though.

--------------------
Post #132943
Posted: 20th October 2006 13:43

Returner

I played it on the NES soon after it was released. My brother found it for sale in the toy store at the mall while I was watching Die Hard 2 at the theater.
Post #132949
Posted: 20th October 2006 14:06

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
1990. I was 12 years old, and it was my first game for my NES. My friend Johnathan and I stayed in my basement playing it on my parents old TV for the enxt year, almost every day after school and all night on weekends when he came over.

I love the nostalgia that I have associated with this game. In retrospect, the game was fantastic.... but my memories of it and the time that I spent on it are even more so.

Edit
had to change the year after doing some remembering.

This post has been edited by Hamedo on 20th October 2006 14:21

--------------------
Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them.

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #132952
Posted: 20th October 2006 14:56

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
The game came out before I was born, so I wasn't exactly antcipating it's release. tongue.gif

I also didn't have a NES "back then", so I never played the original on the NES console. My friend bought Final Fantasy Origins a few years ago, and let me borrow it. That was the first time I played the original Final Fantasy. She wanted it back right before I beat the game (I was at Chaos Shrine...), so I waited for DoS to come out, and completed the game on that.
Post #132958
Posted: 20th October 2006 21:39

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
on the NES when I was 6 or 7
Post #132990
Posted: 21st October 2006 03:42

Engineer

Awards:
On an emulater couple years back.

--------------------
You Can't Escape...
Nowhere to run...
Nowhere to hide...
Post #133014
Posted: 21st October 2006 03:59

Returner

Awards:
I think it was about 12 years ago when I first played it. I got it when a friend gave me his NES and "Final Fantasy" along with it. (It was both my first Final Fantasy and, in fact, my first game in general).

--------------------
"If you're thirsty, life gives you crackers; if you're hungry, it gives you pants."
Post #133017
Posted: 21st October 2006 19:00

Engineer

Awards:
Quote (chou @ 20th October 2006 05:11)
answer the topic question. i first played this great game when i was seven years old believe it or not even though most people didnt even have working nintendos by then. i was lucky because my older sister had a nintendo still and she had this game. so i got to experience my first final fantasy game on the original system and in old school style back when the games they made were still good. i played the playstation remake too and the new graphics were okay but they dumbed it down too much and made it too easy. i would definitely stick with the original but maybe im just old school like that.

You say Origins is dumbed down a lot and there's no doubt Dawn of Souls was but I've got Origins set on normal mode and the default settings which means settings set to the original Final Fantasy (NES) like no sprint mode, can't use life or anything like that in battle and the hit air thing etc does that make it apart from the graphics the same as he NES?
Post #133059
Posted: 22nd October 2006 20:53

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. 
I first played Final Fantasy through Final Fantasy Origins! I really liked it even though the loading times were a little slow! I tried to play the game on the Nintendo but it was just too hard for me mad.gif

--------------------
A fox is cunning
a fox is sleek.
I long to have ones
muzzle on my cheek.

Id hug him and we'd kiss
our love would be true.
And he would wisper
"I love you too"

=^_^= A snippet from a lovely and inspiring poem By Due Swann =^_^=
Post #133159
Posted: 23rd October 2006 01:37

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2005 100k post contest. 
I got the game around the time it came out. I was like 5 or 6. I could never get past Garland (usually never got to Garland), but my little brother and I enjoyed naming them things like "Fart" and "Dumb" and "Butt."
A few years later, my brother traded it without telling me. I was only able to complete it much later when I got it for emulater.

--------------------
"I had to write four novels before they let me write comic books."
-Brad Meltzer
Post #133223
Posted: 23rd October 2006 10:05

Crusader

Awards:
A few years ago, on the NES emulator...I return to it frequently.

--------------------
"I fell off the mountain of words at around the 10,000ft mark. Tell my family...they owe me money." -Narratorway

"If you retort against this, so help me God I'll shove any part of your anatomy I can find into some other part. Figuratively, of course." - Josh

"We have more, can deliver tuesday." - Del S

Good old CoN
Post #133239
Posted: 23rd October 2006 10:17

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Has more than fifteen news submissions to CoN. Contributed to the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
Ahh, I can't say the year for sure, I was a wee one. Only a year or two, i'd sit in my dad's lap and we'd play it together. Have a picture of me and him playing it somewhere.

--------------------
This one time I punched a bear in the forehead TO DEATH! I still have the scars on my chest. I am the manliest man that ever did man.

League: Z3roHawk
Steam: Zero_Hawk
Wii U: Zero_Hawk
FF14 - Goblin - Zero Hawk <Fiend>
Post #133241
Posted: 24th October 2006 00:09

Black Mage

Awards:
Well, the first time I played FF1 was on Christmas Eve a few years back. I had recieved Final Fantasy Origins that day.

--------------------
I'm finally back, everyone! It's been months, maybe even a year since I last visited this website!
Post #133332
Posted: 24th October 2006 12:17

Cetra

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2007. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2007. 
Second place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2008. 
Question for all of you who've played DoS or Origins versions..... would playing the original version NES style, not emulated with features that the original game didn't have like speed walking and savestates, interest you at all?

--------------------
Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them.

~Pacifist Badge, 1978
Post #133387
Posted: 24th October 2006 12:38

Black Waltz

Awards:
Though it would most likely have to be through emulation, I guess I would give it a shot. It would be a challenge for me, as I've heard here how long it takes to buy a bunch of stuff, and I know that you need to rest to save, but why not? Too bad I'm playing a lot of stuff, and once Mother 3 patch is released, that will eat up most of my computer time. But maybe one day...

--------------------
Post #133390
Posted: 24th October 2006 14:43

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
1990. I was 12 years old, and it was my first game for my NES.

I'm just about there with ya. It was the second game I had ever played (Mario being first) for NES, seeing as it was the only system out at the time. I was around 5 I'd say when I played it? I don't remember getting much from the story at the time (not that FF1 had a whole lot to begin with), but I was immediately fascinated with the battle scenes and how you basically had alter egos you controlled and made your own. That was the coolest, most entertaining thing ever.

Question for all of you who've played DoS or Origins versions..... would playing the original version NES style, not emulated with features that the original game didn't have like speed walking and savestates, interest you at all?

So I guess the answer for me is yes. I have played it both ways; though I do like the upgraded features such as running and actually striking the next enemy in battle not selected, it's always refreshing to go back to square one and play it how is was meant to be played.

This post has been edited by w00tah86 on 24th October 2006 14:44

--------------------
" Video Games are bad for you? That's what they said about Rock 'N' Roll. " -- Shigeru Miyamoto
Post #133401
Posted: 24th October 2006 15:47

Engineer

Awards:
Quote (Hamedo @ 24th October 2006 12:17)

Interest me! I would sell my soul to the Devil to play the very very first FFs on the NES and SNES especially FF1 and FF3.
I really enjoyed watching this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b80NyVyN2c
Post #133410
Posted: 25th October 2006 16:44

Black Waltz

Awards:
Quote (Silver 09 @ 24th October 2006 10:47)
Quote (Hamedo @ 24th October 2006 12:17)

Interest me! I would sell my soul to the Devil to play the very very first FFs on the NES and SNES especially FF1 and FF3.
I really enjoyed watching this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b80NyVyN2c

Well if you want to stay legal, then you may have to do that, but...

Their's always emulation happy.gif

...Or you could wait for them to come out on the VC for the Wii

--------------------
Post #133526
Posted: 27th October 2006 19:57

Engineer

Awards:
^ But does the Wii have the real deal or just another remake?
What is the VC?
Post #133734
Posted: 27th October 2006 20:15

SOLDIER

Awards:
I didn't get to play it until the FF: Origins remake on the PS1. Why? Because I'm in the UK, and never got the NES one.

I got FF: Origins as soon as it came out though. =P

I have since played both the NES and GBA versions though. Because I'm a nerd.

It clearly did. =P

Playing the GBA version after the PS1 version was like playing an upgrade (obviously)... however playing the NES version after playing either is like playing a whole different game really...

Especially with the terrible script. xD

This post has been edited by Mu the Squirrel on 27th October 2006 20:28

--------------------
The Arcana are the means by which ALL is revealed.
Post #133736
Posted: 28th October 2006 19:54

Engineer

Awards:
The GBA version is way too easy cool.gif and those extra dungeons were a nightmare, they were completly useless
Post #133803
Posted: 30th October 2006 23:01

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
I played it when I was nine-ten years old, around' 1994 in the old NES. It was the most difficult game I played in my life at that point. I didn't knew almost anything of english, and the guide included in the cartridge just helps you until you get the airship. ( Ha, remember that bestiary map?). And sure, it brings nostalgia every time I decide to play it, of those days of childhood. I guess everyone here learned that the Sorcerer can kill you with one blow...by the hard way laugh.gif

--------------------
"Its no cheating if you don't get caught"
Post #133929
Posted: 31st October 2006 00:18
Lunarian

Awards:
Never did have interest for Final Fantasy until I knew a guy that liked FF7 so much convinced me to go and buy one in December 2002. I played FF1 the first time on the FF Origins remake for the PlayStation in 2003 methinks. Got a little ed off at both 1 and 2 because in FF1 it was annoying to save and in FF2 I got such weak amounts of money.
Post #133935
Posted: 2nd November 2006 23:48

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
My first time playing Number One was when my Cosein got it for GBA. I had some fun. I got it for christmas that or the next year.

--------------------
Blah Blah Blah Tidal Wave Spam!
Post #134158
Posted: 3rd November 2006 17:02

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
It was back in 2002, yes I know I was a little bit late. One night I was sleeping over at a friends house and I found his old NES hidden away in his closet. I also found the games and TADA! there it was, the original Final Fantasy. I started playing it and continue on for an hour or so. I played the game again a couple of years later, but it was the DoS version in the GBA, it's awesome, I love the game, and FF II too!

This post has been edited by SaffireWeapon on 3rd November 2006 17:03

--------------------
PS3 tag: TipoDLuffy

"...quite possibly the greatest game ever made"
Post #134213
Posted: 7th November 2006 05:40

Returner

Awards:
I first seen and heard about in the early Nintendo Power strategy for FF in late 1990, and in early September of 1991....school was supposed to start that day, but was postponed when the teachers went on strike that week.....so me and my mom went to K-mart and I grabbed me a FF cartridge and had a good time.

FF1 was one of the few FF games I liked. And the 8-bit theater comics done well to make the game in story form.

--------------------
Fighter: I like swords!
Black Mage: You leave me no choice but to stab you, and for that, I thank you.
Post #134526
Posted: 12th November 2006 11:17

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I think the first time I got to play it was in 2003. Yeah, add another latecomer to the list. Back then I'd played FF7-FF9, and was playing FF10, and of course I was really excited to hear about FF1 getting made for the PS1. It was like, "YES! I finally get to see where it all began!"

Then I also got DoS so I could play it on my handheld, and recently got myself a DS Lite. FF1 is one of the games I love breaking out to play on long train trips. biggrin.gif
Post #135072
Posted: 29th November 2006 05:27

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I just realized how freaking old I am by looking at your topic lol...

I officaly was given the game on my birthday in august of 1990...

That means my first run through was 16 years ago...

yeah...

Well anyways In my first try my party was 3 fighters and a white mage...this lasted all of 10 mins. I looked at the magic shops and thought.. hmm what could that black one be for... well yeah started over really quick lol!

You can guess how that turned out lol...

This post has been edited by Basch on 29th November 2006 05:29

--------------------
This is my story...

I will never be a memory
Post #137040
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: