CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Anyone here from Louisiana or know someone there?

Posted: 17th August 2016 03:45

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
If you are, how are conditions in your area, in light of the insane flooding that y'all have been getting?

If you know someone there, you may want to give them a holler and ask them how they're doing.

I'm also hearing that this flooding hasn't had good coverage in the US national media (in part because, despite being of Katrina-like scale and impact, it has no name). FYI, currently active hashtags on Twitter are #laflood, #laflood2016, and #laflooding.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 17th August 2016 03:47

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #211230
Posted: 17th August 2016 13:50

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
I live amidst all the flooding, now. The interstate where people were trapped by the flash floods is a highway that we take just about every weekend to get to restaurants, shopping, and my soccer games. It's been pretty intense, and is actually the second major flood to hit this area this year. This one is, as you can tell, far worse than anything that's been seen in this area in a very long time, from what I'm hearing.

Note that I said "in this area" a couple times there, because there's something that the concern trolls on Twitter and other social media seem to be missing - this has nothing to do with New Orleans. NOLA was completely bypassed by these grinding storms that caused this flooding, and Katrina did relatively little damage to the area hit this weekend, so there's not much comparison (and, indeed, it changes the real scope of the impact as well).

The worst of the impact, interstate 12 notwithstanding, has been 30 to 60 miles from where I personally live, and it's not an area I'd commonly go, so I don't have any firsthand accounts to give. My city and all of the cities in close proximity were completely unscathed, thankfully, so we are mainly in donation mode; I know that in my daughter's school, the lobby is nearly impassible for all the donations, and our favorite brewpub, which itself was underwater in the February floods and closed for a month, has collected so much that they have a 200-photo Facebook album just to document it all.

If you're interested in helping out, the Red Cross is on the case: http://www.redcross.org/what-we-do/disaste...ef/flood-relief and if you know of anyone collecting donations, I've been hearing that we have a continued need for baby formula and food on top of all the usual items.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #211233
Posted: 21st August 2016 11:23

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Erm...uh...

Ranger, come in Ranger. You ok dude?

Hope everything's alright.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #211257
Posted: 21st August 2016 13:59

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Um, yep. Nothing has changed for my situation since my last long post right above yours. Lots and lots of outdoor donation drives in my town yesterday, and I don't think we've seen rain in the area in three days and counting.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Post #211258
Posted: 21st August 2016 17:07

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Up here in New York State, there were 2 very devastating floods in the Southern tier within the past decade. One in 2006 and one in 2011. I volunteered to do flood relief in 2011 in Owego and I have never seen such devastation over such a large area in my life.

Here's a picture: http://blogs.cornell.edu/sarahl/files/2014...011-24m7z4h.jpg

That bridge in the lower part of the picture is normally a good 30 feet above the water. The water line after the flood receded was at least at the second floor of every single house in the town, some were completely under water.

There was no Red Cross. There was no state of emergency. There were no donations and almost absolutely zero News coverage.

The flood went from the river at it's normal tide(?) to the second floor of most houses within an hour and stayed like that for days. It seriously looked like the town had been nuked after the waters receded.

I can't speak for Katrina or the current flooding in LA, but be thankful there was as much support as there was, however little it may have seemed. Because both the 2006 flood in Binghamton and Johnson City and the 2011 flood in Owego are among the worst disasters this country has ever seen and almost no one outside of the Southern Tier of NYS (and the college students from downstate) knew anything about either. Thousands of people displaced from their homes and nothing in the way of charity except some Students from University of Buffalo who had no clue what they were getting into when they volunteered for flood relief, lol.

--------------------
Post #211262
Posted: 21st August 2016 18:28

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Was the 2011 flood related to Tropical Storm Irene?

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #211264
Posted: 22nd August 2016 04:46

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. 
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 21st August 2016 13:28)
Was the 2011 flood related to Tropical Storm Irene?

I think it was Tropical Storm Lee but don't quote me on that one.

--------------------
Post #211269
Posted: 20th September 2016 20:07

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
It's been a month...how are things in Louisiana now, Rangers51?

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #211505
Posted: 21st September 2016 01:06

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
See More (Total 29)
The waters have all receded now, though there were a couple remote areas that just became passable again this past week. Schools are mostly open, and the government's allowance of more money for repair work has been met with, naturally, unanimous praise (except for the folks who will never praise anything our current president does, of whom there are a few around here).

I mean, it's a disaster and it's going to take a long time to have everything back to "normal," but normalcy has generally resumed for the most part. Again, I only know of one person who was directly impacted, through my wife's office, and he's working flex time now to try to get back into his home - it's not in any way a quickly-resolved thing.

--------------------

Post #211507
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: