CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Final Fantasy IV - The After Years

Posted: 3rd June 2009 15:43

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Anyone buy this yet? I got it yesterday, along with Rydia's story.

The main adventure took me about 4 hours to get through, I have barely started on Rydia's story. I gotta say though, the game isn't bad. About 50% of the main adventure reuses the maps. You don't need to do alot of grinding for experience, you just can't run away very much. You level fairly quickly. Over all, as a die hard fan of the game, I did enjoy myself playing it. It was short, but you can expect it to continue as the stories continue to be released. 3 more stories are set to be released at the begining of July, and 2 more and the ending of the adventure are set to be released in August, the 2 main stories cost 800 points each, and each of the side stories cost 300.

The other two new features, Phases of the moon and the Banding system are okay too. The banding system basically gives you 1 new ability that the characters use together, and the phases of the moon can be a little annoying, but neither ruin the game. They both just happen and you play around them.

BTW, just a hit, stock up on some healing items. I found that magic, even when it was powered up from the phasing of the moon, just didn't cut it.

--------------------
"And that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped” -Sir Bedevere the Wise
Post #178006
Posted: 4th June 2009 02:50

Black Mage

Awards:
Quote (Fadien @ 3rd June 2009 15:43)
BTW, just a hit, stock up on some healing items.  I found that magic, even when it was powered up from the phasing of the moon, just didn't cut it.

So far no problems with magic, in fact I haven't used a single healing item, only some tents and echo herbs.

I bought it the first day it came out but haven't had the chance to play much. I'm with Kain right now.

For a mini review:

-I got the feeling I'm replaying FF4 with some different character names.
-Random encounters = tons of them.
-Bands abilities are fun, but seem more flashy than useful.
-Moon phases look like a good idea, let's see how it develops when we get more character options.
-Fair difficulty, a bit on the easy side.

So far I'm not liking the story, like I said it's too similar to FF4. The new characters, well, the dialog at the beginning goes something likes this:

Wedge: Are you ready for the test to become a knight?
Ceodore: *sadface*
Wedge: Nervous are you? Don't worry you are the son of King Cecil and Queen Rosa, surely you inherited some skill from them.
Biggs: *bitchslaps Ceodore*

And the returning ones?

Cecil: We are under attack, if the worst happens I want you to flee Rosa.
Rosa: But Cecil!
Cecil: King's orders!
Rosa: Ok! happy.gif

Oh well, it's still fun and full of that FF4 charm. I hope all is worth at the end.

This post has been edited by Sandyboots on 4th June 2009 02:50

--------------------
"Love, and do what you will" Saint Augustine
Post #178026
Posted: 5th June 2009 16:07

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
I think it is awesome, especially being released in episodes like anime or tv shows
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
leaves me on edge, mostly on what happened to Cecil at the end of the 1st main story, being all hypnotized and stuff like Golbez

But yeah, while there are LOTS of random encounters, i enjoyed the scenarios of Ceodore and Rydia equally. Rydia's is a side-story, so its a bit shorter than Ceodores story (where i actually died a few times...gah!), but overall i enjoyed trying to strategize the moon phases (or tent till the preferred phase shows). i also like how different monsters appear in different phases.

Im just trying to figure out now that both are done how much leveling i can do in the extra dungeons, as well as what possible bands are avaliable. I have currently found these bands (read only if you want to know...)

Kain+Rosa=Saint Dive
Hooded Man+Ceodore=Cross Slash
Kain+Ceodore=Cross Slash Prime
Rosa+Cecil=Holy Sword
Luca+Rydia=Lightning Brain Buster
Luca+Calca+Brina=Go Go Calcabrina

This post has been edited by DrkMagimaster282 on 5th June 2009 16:10

--------------------
<DrkMagimaster282> MWAHAHA. I,
DrkMagimaster282, shall wreak havoc and destroy...
<Mother>TIIIIIIMMYYY...are you planning evil, unkind revenge again in the bathroom??
<DrkMagimaster282>UMMMMMMMM...NO.

CoN day is May 27th, 2005
Join elder-geek.com for unbiased reviews, no console wars here...
Post #178095
Posted: 5th June 2009 18:00

Awards:
List of Band Attacks

From what I've heard, there is a level cap. 40 for Rydia's story, and 40-50 for Ceodore's story. The bonus dungeons are fairly hard, and you better be stocked up on Hi Potions for it. I've finished the first floor on Ceodore's, but I can't even survive a fight on the 2nd floor. I need to power level and reach the cap before I try to go into either one again.

You can also still get the summon items and teach them to Rydia. I got Bomb summon on Ceodore's story, but you can still get Cockitrice, Bomb, Mindflayer, and Imp all in Rydia's story.

--------------------
"And that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped” -Sir Bedevere the Wise
Post #178100
Posted: 8th June 2009 03:18

Cactuar

Awards:

Hope that Edward is going to be in this game. You can't have a awesome sequel without that Spoony Bard... wub.gif

Even if he was a little annoying sometimes during tough battles..

--------------------
Currently playing Chrono Trigger !!
Currently looking forward to Don't Know.
Post #178156
Posted: 8th June 2009 07:09

Awards:
Release date to the chapters is as follows.

Chapters: 300 points each.
Rydias Tale - "TheEidolons Shackled" 6/1/09
Yangs Tale - "The Master of Fabul" 7/6/09
Paloms Tale - "The Mages Voyage" 7/6/09
Edges Tale - "The Pulse of Babil" 7/6/09
Poroms Tale - "The Vanished Lunar Whale" 8/3/09
Edwards Tale - "Star Crossed Damcyan" 8/3/09
The Lunarians Tale - "The Blue Planet That Was" 8/3/09

Final Chapter: 800 points
The Crystals - "The Planet Eater" 9/7/09

You do not need to play all the chapters, however, you import all data from any chapters you finish. Durring the first section, I was going through the "Challange Dungeon", and aquired a piece of Adamantium. I'm sure since it is a unique item (yellow text in inventory, rest of items are white) that it will end up being nice in the last chapter. Make a nice weapon or armor or something.

This post has been edited by Fadien on 8th June 2009 07:11

--------------------
Post #178157
Posted: 8th June 2009 15:35

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Sounds to me like, since there is one yellow from that challenge dungeon, maybe it will unlock something in the final scenario (ie weapon, ending, dungeon, etc) or heck, maybe even some hidden character!

Oh i DO love contemplating possibilities, haha!

--------------------
<DrkMagimaster282> MWAHAHA. I,
DrkMagimaster282, shall wreak havoc and destroy...
<Mother>TIIIIIIMMYYY...are you planning evil, unkind revenge again in the bathroom??
<DrkMagimaster282>UMMMMMMMM...NO.

CoN day is May 27th, 2005
Join elder-geek.com for unbiased reviews, no console wars here...
Post #178161
Posted: 10th June 2009 02:27

Black Mage

Awards:
Almost all that I said earlier... I take it back. I'm enjoying the game more now, the story got better, I'm actually paying attention to the moon phases and Ceodore's sad face is kinda cute >_> . Oh, and I've been stocking on healing items, tons of them, we get technically four white magic users in Ceodore's tale but only one non permanent dancer in Rydia's, no fair.

I'm at the bonus dungeons right now, grinding with the guys from Baron. I'm scared to even take a look at Rydia's, this will teach me to not to rely too much on my healers.

And I think I spent like two hours trying to get a Mythril nut, that's just my luck.

--------------------
Post #178179
Posted: 10th June 2009 03:15

Awards:
Quote (Sandyboots @ 9th June 2009 20:27)
Almost all that I said earlier... I take it back. I'm enjoying the game more now, the story got better, I'm actually paying attention to the moon phases and Ceodore's sad face is kinda cute >_> . Oh, and I've been stocking on healing items, tons of them, we get technically four white magic users in Ceodore's tale but only one non permanent dancer in Rydia's, no fair.

I'm at the bonus dungeons right now, grinding with the guys from Baron. I'm scared to even take a look at Rydia's, this will teach me to not to rely too much on my healers.

And I think I spent like two hours trying to get a Mythril nut, that's just my luck.

From what I've heard, Rydia's bonus dungeon is a cake walk at max level. Bio is very powerful, and you just use Luca to heal.

--------------------
Post #178180
Posted: 10th June 2009 07:12

Lunarian

Awards:
I totally didn't know about this game! Is this a 2-D sequel for the DS or WiiWare or something?!

--------------------
Climhazzard is the timeless evil robot who runs some of the cool stuff at CoN (mostly logging chat, since there are no quizzes at the moment), all the while watching and waiting for his moment to take over the world. -Tiddles
Post #178184
Posted: 10th June 2009 07:57

Awards:
It's a sequel. Same style graphics as the original. Released in episode format, it is a story that looks like the chapters will build to an epic climax in the last chapter.

--------------------
Post #178185
Posted: 17th June 2009 00:14

Black Mage

Awards:
Finished the challenge dungeons, maxed levels in Rydia's, still a couple to go in Ceodore's.

Is anyone bothering with the summon-items? I was farming for a while earlier, but I gave up when I maxed levels. It's just it seems such a waste of time an experience. And I'm kinda thinking of leaving Rydia out of my final party for a change, although I'm definitely using Edge so... I still don't know, twenty-two characters!, that's pretty evil.

--------------------
Post #178294
Posted: 28th August 2009 00:18

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
ooh, i love this game. i maxed Ceodores party already, and i'm almost done with Rydias.

i played all of the others including the Lunarians chapter.

flag-red.gif

--------------------
Come closer, FEEL my wrath.

"fear not what you do not know or understand, for only fear is but one aspect of what limits us"
- Me
Post #180761
Posted: 28th August 2009 01:15

Black Mage

Awards:
I maxed all my teams already, now I don't have anything to do sad.gif

Well, I could hunt for adamantites and tails, but I had enough with the Mythril nut.

Still undecided about my final team, so far I'm thinking on Porom, Palom, Edge and Edward. The last spot will go to Ceodore, or Ursula, or Luca, or Cecil, or Man in Black...

--------------------
Post #180767
Posted: 7th September 2009 18:22

Chimera

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Contributed to the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 10)
Heard about this game when it was first released to Japan. Being a sucker for all things FFIV, I feel like investing in a Wii just to play the game. Hey, I did the same thing with a DS Lite for FFIV DS.

--------------------
kame, tortue, tortuga, schildkröte, tartaruga, turtle

"Arthur Dent?"
"Yes."
"Arthur Philip Dent?"
"Yes."
"You're a total knee biter."
Post #181178
Posted: 22nd September 2009 02:21

Black Mage

Awards:
I'm finally done with the main story.
Still need to beat Shinryu and Omega.

My final party (I ditched Edward at the end, he failed too many songs)

-Palom(59)
Edge(60)
-Tsukinowa(57)
Ceodore(61)
-Porom(58)

The funny thing is that Tsuki had the most bands, I almost never used them anyway.

What I didn't like about the game
Too much reusing: plot, characters, enemies.

And when they ran out of FFIV bosses to bring back from the grave, bam! Here are FFI, II, III, V and VI, because SE knows we love the nostalgia ¬__¬

What I'm complaining about?, I looove the nostalgia. Gilgamesh and Ultros are too awesome to ignore.

Gilgamesh mentioned Bartz. Ultros actually compliments your female party members and has something different to say to each male that attacks him. By the top of my head I remember something like:

I hate muscleheads...

[Ceodore]...Are you the replacement or something?
[Tsukinowa]...And so young too.
[Palom]...You don't have any.

What I liked about the game
It's FFIV and all the good stuff that comes with it. Plus more characters and bands!, they are flashy and fun (even if I didn't use them).

Well, now that this one is finished, I wonder if SE is going to give the other 2D games the same treatment.
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/tgs09/titles/ff4/
Oh by the love of... give me a break!

One last thing: Leonora/Palom/Luca is way better than Cecil/Rosa/Kain. *runs*

This post has been edited by Sandyboots on 22nd September 2009 02:22

--------------------
Post #181541
Posted: 25th November 2009 04:19

Returner

i really wanna play the game... T_T

do you have to buy every individual story or you just buy the game and each story will be unlocked to you?
Post #182500
Posted: 25th November 2009 06:47

Awards:
Main two parts of the story are 800 points, each chapter is 300 points. They all need to be purchased to play them, though you only NEED to buy the two main parts of the story. You can skip all the other chapters if you want to, they are all "optional", but you can carry over items and levels and stuff from the chapters.

--------------------
Post #182503
Posted: 26th November 2009 00:57

Returner

Quote (Fadien @ 25th November 2009 06:47)
Main two parts of the story are 800 points, each chapter is 300 points. They all need to be purchased to play them, though you only NEED to buy the two main parts of the story. You can skip all the other chapters if you want to, they are all "optional", but you can carry over items and levels and stuff from the chapters.

so, if i wanan play it all, i have to buy every single chapter? dry.gif

why can't they just make you pay only once?! DX
Post #182517
Posted: 12th August 2011 14:48

Cactuar

Awards:
Quote (ChibiSakuraNinja @ 26th November 2009 01:57)
Main two parts of the story are 800 points, each chapter is 300 points.  They all need to be purchased to play them, though you only NEED to buy the two main parts of the story.  You can skip all the other chapters if you want to, they are all "optional", but you can carry over items and levels and stuff from the chapters.

I'd quit whining. I don't mean to sound like an ass, but you're paying 800 points for a fairly meaty game, and 300 points for a story that lasts at least two hours. Or three. I got it yesterday, along with Rydia's Story. I'm at Kaipo in the main quest.
Post #196795
Posted: 13th August 2011 05:22

Awards:
Quote (Chell172 @ 12th August 2011 08:48)
Main two parts of the story are 800 points, each chapter is 300 points.  They all need to be purchased to play them, though you only NEED to buy the two main parts of the story.  You can skip all the other chapters if you want to, they are all "optional", but you can carry over items and levels and stuff from the chapters.

I'd quit whining. I don't mean to sound like an ass, but you're paying 800 points for a fairly meaty game, and 300 points for a story that lasts at least two hours. Or three. I got it yesterday, along with Rydia's Story. I'm at Kaipo in the main quest.

They do actually have the full thing with the FFIV complete collection on the PSP now.

--------------------
Post #196817
Posted: 17th August 2011 12:14

Onion Knight

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Fadien @ 13th August 2011 06:22)
Quote (Chell172 @ 12th August 2011 08:48)

They do actually have the full thing with the FFIV complete collection on the PSP now.

Yeah they do have all the stories.Like Ceodore's- who ever is last.
but my buddy told me that in the last chapter you get to play as Golbez.

But I dont know if he is the last chapter but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Post #196906
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: