CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Do you own the original cartridge for your NES?

Posted: 22nd August 2007 06:46

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
I do, and am currently at the annoying part where you have to farm up money for those precious spells and silver swords.

How is FF1 on the other systems? I could find out for myself, of course, but I'd rather play the original just because I'm nostalgic like that. cool.gif

--------------------
NEVER put salt in your eyes.
Post #156051
Posted: 22nd August 2007 07:02

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Nope i dont own it. But i have played it before. I Have it for GBA and i think its a little bit better than the NES One. I Wanna get the Psp one but i dont have enough cash. dry.gif
Post #156052
Posted: 22nd August 2007 12:21

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Yeah, I have it back at my parents' house. Honestly, these days I'd sooner play any of the other versions, simply because the battle system of the NES one just hasn't aged well. It's too slow and clunky, and no amount of nostalgia will allow me to use what little game time I have for a slow game. smile.gif

I think you'd find that the other versions are all easier, though.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #156057
Posted: 22nd August 2007 18:20
Lunarian

Awards:
I wish I did, because originals rule. The remakes aren't really that good, but the FF Origins remake on the PlayStation is pretty good..

It's the same as the old one except it's more upgraded with new graphics, orchestrated sountrack, and more quick-paced battlesystem.

But the nostalgia of knocking people down and examining wells in the NES still has a growth in me.
Post #156078
Posted: 23rd August 2007 00:31

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (Rangers51 @ 22nd August 2007 09:21)
Yeah, I have it back at my parents' house. Honestly, these days I'd sooner play any of the other versions, simply because the battle system of the NES one just hasn't aged well. It's too slow and clunky, and no amount of nostalgia will allow me to use what little game time I have for a slow game. smile.gif

I think you'd find that the other versions are all easier, though.

I do agree with you on that. The original not only has an incredibly slow battle system, but an incredibly slow walking speed on the world map and in the towns as well. Did they add a "sprint" button in the newer versions?

--------------------
NEVER put salt in your eyes.
Post #156110
Posted: 23rd August 2007 02:39

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
I do have it, but like Rangers said, it isn't the best version to play if you have little time. Even if the newer versions are easier, I still prefer playing them because they aren't so clunky.

The newer versions do indeed have a dash button.

--------------------
Post #156126
Posted: 23rd August 2007 02:46

Black Mage

Awards:
Yep, still have the cartridge sitting in my NES... which is in a duffle bag in my closet, I think.

Honestly, I prefer playing it on an emulator simply for save state when I have to unexpectedly quit playing.

--------------------
With the lights out
It's less dangerous
Post #156129
Posted: 23rd August 2007 05:08

Returner

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
I played the original on an emulator waaaaaaay back and, as much as I love FF, I couldn't deal with the extremely slow pace. The PSX Origins is much better in my opinion. Sure, it may be somewhat easier, but it still retains most of its roots. I really have no qualms with it, and even though it's easier, it's still not THAT easy of a game.

--------------------
Ipso facto meanie mo magico! -- Spekkio
Post #156135
Posted: 23rd August 2007 12:02

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Second place in CoNBA, 2007. Third place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2009. 
Contributed to the Chrono Trigger section of CoN. 
Yes, I have it, and it's my preferred version to play. It is indeed slow, but having cut my teeth on it makes the other versions less challenging, and therefore less fun. That being said, I would love to be able to sprint and buy more than one heal potion at a time...

--------------------
"Getting upset over a trifle would indeed be unmannerly."

-Afra to Damia
Post #156145
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: