CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Bonus Dungeons in Dawn of Souls!

Posted: 28th March 2007 15:03

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Man, I LOVE these things!

I did Wisperwind Cove last night so I could fight some FFVI bosses, It was tough but extremely fun! Death Gaze was really hard, Phantom Train was just odd.. Ultros didn't really do any damage. I had Ribbons equiped so he didn't hurt me much.

I'm gonna do Life Spring Grotto later to see how well I do against Omega and Shinryu.
I'll probably get defeated, but it should be fun!

--------------------
<Insert witty remark here>
Post #146919
Posted: 29th March 2007 02:46

Black Mage

Awards:
I rather liked them...I suppose.

I mean, fighting old bosses is cool if for nothing else than nostalgia, but I wish there were some way to make them a bit more relative to the storyline. Having 4 bosses from FF3-6 just haphazardly thrown in seemed to me to feel very deliberate and not really relevant to the story.

I guess I have mixed feelings overall about jazzing up any of the old titles. The GBA versions of FF1/2/4/5 seem to me to play a lot faster and be a lot easier than their NES/PS counterparts, but I like being able to play them on the go and some of the bonus features. The bonus dungeons I have mixed feelings about. It's painfully obvious to me that they were thrown in not as plot devices, and the dialogue doesn't always seem to follow. FF4A's Lunar Ruins was the best so far.

I don't know - I'm starting to think that my honeymoon with FF remakes may be ending. I guess it's a bit of a catch-22 for Nintendo that there's only so much you can add/remake/redo without it being a totally different game, but we all want added features. I just don't feel the same charm of the old FFs manifesting on the GBA remakes like I did on the PS.

Perhaps the problem is that I need home-based system remakes to recapture that feeling. I guess we'll see if/when the FF7 remake hits the market. FF7 is my least favorite game in the series, but a good remake could change my mind after all these years. I mean the graphics and play control will be better, they could un-digitize the soundtrack, give you the whole story, tweak the ability system to make a bit more sense, improve the translation, take out some of the stupid mini-games...plus all the fanboys should be in their 20s now.

Oh yes, and watch Omega; he is difficult.

--------------------
You don't scare me, you talking blobs of oozing slop! I am impervious to pain!
Post #146988
Posted: 29th March 2007 03:12

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Winner of the 2006 Incognito Contest contest. 
I like bonus dungeons. My love of them may have something to do with my love for tri-Ace games.

Anyway, what better way to give replay value to otherwise lazy ports than to throw in a nice bonus dungeon or two and some optional bosses? The ones in FFIDoS were a great touch; it doesn't get much better than nostalgic cameos in the very first FF game, after all.

Anyway, good luck on Omega. I don't really remember if which of Omega or Shinryu was the most annoying, but they were certainly obnoxious nonetheless. The battles basically turned into buffing up my Knight equipped with Ultima Weapon while spam-healing the party, since any other weapons were ineffective in comparison.

--------------------
Post #146990
Posted: 29th March 2007 19:07

Black Waltz

Awards:
Omega was a pain, because he has insane defense. And it pissed me off, because the weapon he gave was for ninja's, and I didn't have any this last play through. sad.gif

--------------------
Post #147026
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: