CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
SPOILERS (just to be safe though); Odin's Story

Posted: 20th November 2014 05:27

Returner

I started a new FF6 save game (for the 100th time probably), largely to explore the plot and characters again. I am a very nostalgic gamer, and I love revisiting story lines and dungeons with a new team.

One of my favorite dungeons is Ancient Castle; which might be weird because to most people, it's just a quick stop by to get the Master's Scroll relic and to see a few cutscenes and get the Raiden esper. But for me, I love it. On my first run-through ever as a kid, I was terrified of everything unexplored, but I loved discovering new places(my parents sheltered me), so you could just imagine the excitement I felt from playing FF6. When I took the Figaro castle down and figured out with my tiny brain that there was a new, unexplored dungeon... well, the experience is just something you don't forget. And remember, there were no such things as internet walkthroughs and the like so this was very exciting for me.
Even today, that feeling still comes up as I enter Ancient Castle, probably for the 100th time, even though I know every corner of that castle and every monster formation... I even know how much EXP/Gil you get from killing those formations. Anyways I'll cut to the chase.
Some of you may have figured out that this Ancient Castle is actually an Easter Egg... Or should I say "Growth" Egg because apparently it has something to do with FFV. Now I'm not sure where I read this, and I've personally only ran through FFV once because it was just really pointlessly difficult, so I could only speculate on it.

This post is mostly to discuss just that. Any little bits of information, anecdotes, rumors, theories are welcome here. I really just want to learn more about this Odin story, and how Ancient Castle ties in with the other FF games, if it does at all.

Thanks everyone and enjoy the holidays!
Post #207765
Posted: 21st November 2014 17:27

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Member of more than five years. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 10)
Petrifying Odin was an easy way to beat him in V, so his fate in VI could be a reference to that.
Nothing else springs to mind at the moment.

--------------------
FF games completed: I (psp), II (psp), III (DS), IV (psp), V (GBA), VI (GBA), VII, VIII, IX, X, XI: Nations-Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, XII, XIII, XIV, XV.
Spin-offs: FFIV: Interlude & The After Years, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0 HD, Dissidia, Dissidia 012, and Tactics (original & WotL).
Enjoyed them all.
Post #207769
Posted: 10th January 2015 16:48

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
The unimaginative answer is that it's a way to tie the games into a universe. That through progress/destruction we end up at a particular story in time. Fiction is generally inconclusive since anything can be made up about it.

It depends where the author ultimately wants to go with it. Explaining events fully or leaving room for more imagination.

The important or revelevant information is what we add for the story to make sense. To play it without worring about 'unimportant details.'

Whatever's published is ultimately there to enhance the story. If the author feels it doesn't they will omit it. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Eagle Caller on 10th January 2015 16:49

--------------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/Greatermaxim

Terra - LV 99 - HP 9999 - MP 999

Equipment - - - Abilities

Illumina - - - - - Fight
Genji Shield - - Morph
Oath Veil - - - - Magic
Minerva - - - - - Item
Ribbon
Economizer
Post #208050
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: