Your First Computer

Posted: 15th May 2017 16:06

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Third place in CoNCAA, 2014. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! 
See More (Total 26)
We were discussing in chat earlier and it seemed like it could result in some decent stories. So, tell us about your first computer!

I got my first PC for my 8th grade graduation, in 1993. It was a Compaq 386 that my mom had built (apparently, back then Compaq had licensed builders, and this one also served the state agency at which she worked). Of course, they didn't build it to spec, and forgot to install Windows 3.11 on it. I was not savvy enough yet to realize it, so I spent a week or so learning MS-DOS 5.2 before I realized in trawling the filesystem that Windows was nonexistent. Then it took them a month to track down a license for it, by which time I was pretty decent with DOS.

What did I do with it? The usual. Played a lot of games that I got bootlegged from family and friends - a lot of old DOS versions on 5.25" floppies of things like Family Feud and Wheel of Fortune, as well as some games that came on ultramodern 3.5" discs Jack Nicklaus Golf (with a pretty killer course editor), Commander Keen, and Wolfenstein.

I also got a pretty hilarious hand-me-down 286 "laptop" a little later from my dad's office. It weighed a good thirty pounds with the battery - which was shot, so it had to have the battery in place AND be plugged in to use it - and was capable really of only running Wordperfect.

It will be funny to me to see if there are any younger users who will report in with their fancy first machines that had graphics capable of more than 256 colors.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #212661
Posted: 15th May 2017 16:09

Group Icon
Lucky <3

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Third place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Winner of CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! User has rated 500 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 24)
Our first family computer was a Mac Plus. It had an external tower hard drive that was 30 MB and my dad always said the hard drive alone cost $500. I only vaguely remember it - I more remember our Mac IISi since it was more during my formative years, and also because it is still sitting in the closet in my old room at my mom's house. I still want to bring it back and see if I can get it working again just for funsies.

--------------------
Hey, put the cellphone down for a while
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
And hey, put the laptop down for a while
In the night there is something wild
I feel it, it's leaving me
Post #212662
Posted: 15th May 2017 17:15

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Participated at the forums for the CoN's 15th birthday! Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Member of more than ten years. 
My memory is hazy on the exact model but I do believe it is the same one Neal linked there, the Mac Plus. It was really just a hand-me-down from my dad, who must at all times (to this day) have the best Macintosh computer available. I had that thing sitting at my desk for much of the early 90's after my dad bought new computers, and still remember playing these games on it:

(Grid Wars)
user posted image

(Shadowgate)
user posted image

(Dark Castle)
user posted image
Post #212663
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: