CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Recording videos for FF 1-4

Posted: 11th May 2016 23:48

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I plan on taking my costars (Lena having little to no knowledge of the FF series. She doesn't even know what happens at the end of disk one of FF7) through the entire series on my youtube channel. I've decided the best way to go about the first 4 games is to use the Psp releases. However. I'm hitting the road block of capturing the gaming footage while also trying to make it so them watching the gameplay as it happens is practical. (Us crowded together looking over a psp screen isn't as practical as displaying it on a tv screen or pc monitor. Anyways.
I'm posting this to ask if anyone knows what the most practical method would be to go about this?

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #210828
Posted: 12th May 2016 20:13

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
On the PSP, if you have one that can have custom firmware, it's possible to use RemoteJoy to push the video to your PC monitor while the PSP is connected to the PC over USB. RemoteJoy is not a treat to set up, though, and I've found that even following guides you find online it's possible for it to just not work properly. Additionally, in Windows 7 and above you need to boot into the mode that allows unsigned drivers to use it. For a final proviso, audio from your PSP will not come through the PC over USB, so you would also have to run a 3.5mm wire from your PSP's headphone jack to your PC's mic jack, which isn't really the best for sound quality.

I would actually say that your best bet is not in doing it on PSP, unless that's the only platform for which you have the games. You could do FF1 and FF2 on iOS or Android, and stream them to your PC using AirPlay or a Chromecast (I think - I don't use Android devices, so I'm not totally sure on that). You could do FF3 and FF4 either on iOS/Android or a Windows PC, if you want to do the 3D versions. The Playstation Network and Wii/Wii U virtual consoles also have versions of FF4, I believe.

Practical is really what you want to make it, I think, but yeah, trying to hunch over a PSP and do a stream of any quality is not likely to happen.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #210832
Posted: 15th May 2016 01:07

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 300 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Thanks for the advice. I read there where sound issues with the psp to pc method but all the topics i read where very vague on what i'd be dealing with so yeah. not going that route. I had a solid option come and go today where i could play the digital releases of all of them on my vita and record that but for some reason FF 1 and 2's psp releases are available on psn every where in the world EXCEPT the U.S. No one even knows why other than its a problem on SC's end. I know about the other releases and have considered them but my team agreed we wanted to tackle the psp releases of these 4. Having the added bonus of allowing us to tackle crisis core, GTA Liberty city stories, GTA vice city stories, and both dissideas as well if we figure it out. I found out last night that one of my coworkers actually is really smart on this stuff and he wants to help me set up for the recordings. Here's hoping we figure it out. smile.gif

--------------------
He's Back. He is The_TrueBOSS.
Check me and my partners out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueBOSSofJupiter
Post #210839
Posted: 23rd May 2016 20:03

Group Icon
Totes Adorbs

Awards:
Second place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. First place in CoNCAA, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
First place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. Third place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. 
See More (Total 29)
Quote (TrueBOSS @ 14th May 2016 19:07)
Thanks for the advice. I read there where sound issues with the psp to pc method but all the topics i read where very vague on what i'd be dealing with so yeah. not going that route. I had a solid option come and go today where i could play the digital releases of all of them on my vita and record that but for some reason FF 1 and 2's psp releases are available on psn every where in the world EXCEPT the U.S. No one even knows why other than its a problem on SC's end. I know about the other releases and have considered them but my team agreed we wanted to tackle the psp releases of these 4. Having the added bonus of allowing us to tackle crisis core, GTA Liberty city stories, GTA vice city stories, and both dissideas as well if we figure it out. I found out last night that one of my coworkers actually is really smart on this stuff and he wants to help me set up for the recordings. Here's hoping we figure it out. smile.gif

It dawns on me that all my PSP experience is on a 1000 model. If you've got a 2000 or 3000, and a video capture device, you can bridge the two via a custom AV cable. See http://amzn.to/20s6cOJ

If you bridge that to a computer with video and audio capture, you would be able to stream that while still also maintaining a video or audio feed of your group and managing them in OBS or XSplit or whatever you use. Definitely can't vouch for the quality there, but it's much easier than if you're running a PSP-1000 in that regard if you've got all the equipment.

Oh, and with regards to FF3, the PSP version is a port of the NDS version, but you probably knew that already.

--------------------
"To create something great, you need the means to make a lot of really bad crap." - Kevin Kelly

Why aren't you shopping AmaCoN?
Post #210852
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: