CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Final Fantasy All-Stars Discussion

Posted: 17th February 2016 17:15

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
I made this thread just because I haven't seen a later looking one, and the Cracked one was locked when suddenly we were talking about FFV vs FFVI. (Nothing against the lock, it was a fair decision) As the title implies, this thread is not focused on any single Final Fantasy. If it has "Final Fantasy" in the name, it belongs here.

We've seen FFV vs FFVI. So, what do you think about FFV vs. FFIV? With a villain known earlier in the story, as well as the jobs system, FFV surely wins. FFIV however wins back with deeper characters such as Cecil, and having THREE worlds that are explorable simultaneously. What do you see?

This post has been edited by Pooka on 8th March 2016 20:11

--------------------
I am Exdeath. Step aside pesky clowns, or your warranty is Void!
Post #210531
Posted: 17th February 2016 19:53

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in the CoN World Cup soccer competition, 2018. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributor to the Final Fantasy IX section of CoN. 
Second place in the CoN Euro Cup soccer competition, 2016. Member of more than five years. Second place in the CoN World Cup fantasy game for 2014. User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 12)
Quote (Pooka @ 17th February 2016 18:15)
the Cracked one was locked when suddenly we were talking about FFV vs FFVI.

It got locked when the conversation went wildly off topic? Holy shhh...how dare they!? It's like living in a fascist state.

Edit: ahhh, crap - hoist by my own petard. To stay on topic, I prefer IV to V, but I say that based purely on the fact that I have never been interested enough to complete V, whereas I did IV. I liked the characters in IV, Kain especially (I much preferred Cecil when he was a Dark Knight. Paladin Cecil was too wet for my liking).

--------------------
We apologise for the inconvenience
Post #210532
Posted: 18th February 2016 03:23

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. 
What do you get when you cross deep characters and a stellar job system mechanic? Final Fantasy Tactics.

Like the Sega Genesis and the N64, V only got popular in America in retrospect. Then again, V wasn't released initially in the US at all. Unfortunately, that means FFIV gets the

*cue chorus music* NOSTALGIA

vote from me.

--------------------
"So, are you a fan of the Fett?"

"Nah, I'm more of a Star Wars guy."
Post #210535
Posted: 19th February 2016 22:42

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Ff5 wins over ff4 in villain.Xdeath has more backstory than zeromus, and zeromus backstory is ridiculous.

I think also the backstory of interdimensional species from ffIv is kind of interesting, and I like galuf quite a bit.Cecil vs galuf is a very tough one.

I think reina and the pirate girl are quite likeable as well as Bartz., and bocco.

In story ff5.

To tell the truth:It's the only game in the series where you explore another universe.

Ff5 has some good pieces of music too:

ff5 boss theme
[Battle over the bridge
exdeath boss theme
Battle theme

Vs

Dreadfull fight ff4
ff4 regular boss theme
ff4 zeromus boss theme
ff4 regular battle theme

Here is what in my opinion we should do:Vote which we like the most on each side and pair them off against each other till we win

This is really hard because I like all of the boss themes from ffV and all of the boss themes from ffIV.I love ffIv music more but that is because I have listened to it and thought about it a lot more.

After this round I will pair off world music and them we can determine which we love the most in music, or if you want:We could talk about who would win:Bartz vs Cecil galuf vs Kain reina vs rydia and the pirate girl vs rosa? Or xdeath vs golbez.Its pretty obvious who would win:Xdeath.Zeromus vs Xdeath:Xdeath could just banish zeromus and zeromus would eventually come back maybe?

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 19th February 2016 23:15

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210537
Posted: 24th February 2016 23:32

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
I consider my never having gotten past that octopus at the beginning of FFIV as a personal failing.

I still think Exdeath is a profoundly boring villain, though. I just can't meaningfully compare it to Zeromus.

--------------------
I shall now return to my cave
Post #210545
Posted: 25th February 2016 08:53

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Lurker @ 24th February 2016 23:32)
I consider my never having gotten past that octopus at the beginning of FFIV as a personal failing.

I still think Exdeath is a profoundly boring villain, though. I just can't meaningfully compare it to Zeromus.

Same goes for zeromus.

zeromus talks to fusoya and golbez

At least xdeath is mentioned earlier unlike in ff4 where he is revealed at the very end of the game.

You also at least get to see the power of the void which is kinda cool actually.

Wow I can't believe I'm defending ff5

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 25th February 2016 16:12

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210546
Posted: 25th February 2016 16:57

Black Mage

Awards:
Member of more than five years. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. 
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 25th February 2016 10:53)
Quote (Lurker @ 24th February 2016 23:32)

Same goes for zeromus.

zeromus talks to fusoya and golbez

At least xdeath is mentioned earlier unlike in ff4 where he is revealed at the very end of the game.

You also at least get to see the power of the void which is kinda cool actually.

Wow I can't believe I'm defending ff5

As Magitek_slayer said, Zemus appears at the end of the game. Beforehand, you had no hints to his existence and you are coerced into thinking that Golbez is the big bad, not a man in front of the man. You get to confront him to the end only after learning of his existence shortly, similar to the Cloud of Darkness. Ultimecia is some kind of a half-exception as you only confront her in the end, but you learn of her existence earlier in the story.

Meanwhile, Exdeath shows up to be the big bad from FFV since his first appearance, and that hasn't changed at any point in the game. Unless you count his final boss form as some change.

--------------------
Post #210549
Posted: 25th February 2016 18:54

Black Mage

Awards:

THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS, ACTUALLY, IT'S ONE GREAT BIG SPOILER

The two aforementioned styles of storytelling are exactly that. Styles, and are set according to taste. Yeah, the swerve about the villain you've been chasing being under someone else's control might come across as tacky, not only that, but he's the hero's brother! Well done, FFIV! I honestly wish that it could have challenged Cecil a little bit more, or the rest of the party for that matter. The game in of itself is fraught with tragedy and loss (though in later versions of the game, the losses don't really stick except for Tellah), and Golbez imposes accounting for those losses on himself.

Honestly, the strength of V over IV is what wasn't done as opposed to what was. Exdeath (I don't like the name, it's hard for me to take seriously) is the villain from the get-go, and the hero's journey is pretty straight forward. Faris is really a woman and Galuf dies are the only real swerves in the game. Instead of a revolving door of unique characters with unique personalities, you get the same four guys through the whole game. It's an easily navigable story surrounding fantastic gameplay.

--------------------
"So, are you a fan of the Fett?"

"Nah, I'm more of a Star Wars guy."
Post #210551
Posted: 26th February 2016 02:46

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
it's hard for me to take seriously

That's how I feel about the whole game. I like it, but I don't take (most of) it seriously. I do appreciate that Exdeath is woven through it, though you don't really see him until about a third of the way in, and you don't get a full explanation all at once. It's a pretty good slow-reveal that takes a lot of the game to finish, and then you've got him at Peak Villain when he's sending monsters after you, and then there's the Petard Hoist and your ultimate victory. Honestly, I feel like the Petard Hoist is the weakest part, and for pretty much the same reasons as "Psyche! The real villain was actually <unexplained thing you never heard of before>!", but less so.

I'd say FFV is an involved but still shallow story with flat but well-realized characters, and with a stereotypical antagonist, but is well-composed of all it's parts. It's great workmanship with less-than stellar components.

Also, I have a weakness for job systems with cross-classing.

--------------------
Post #210552
Posted: 26th February 2016 09:16

Crusader

Awards:
Actually the death of edges parents was pretty sad too.

Does the dragon count as a character?
Possible spoilers: highlight to view
because the pirate faris has a dragon who is pulling her boat and he dies
what about bocco the chocobo? Actually as far as I know, no game gives personality to chocobos that I've played, yet this one does.I also love how 9 gives personality to moogles.

Ff5 home sweet home

Vs

FF4 Damcyan castle

place your votes

ff5 4 valiant hearts(World map theme)

vs

ff4 overworld map theme

This is really hard because both are so fitting, but I like ff4 world map theme slightly more.To me, the world map is kinda fitting to Cecil's emotions of turning to a dark knight and his regrets.

ff5 Unknown lands world map number 2

vs

[URL=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lWtP_3C7QsY]ff4 land of the dwarves world
map[/URL]

I love land of the dwarves world map btw so I might be biased.It has so much grooveIt also changes the mood to being happy.The ff5 one is also really good.I can tell with the amount of effort put in it.

ffv overworld 3

Vs

ff4 moon theme

Holy cow that theme, it's so expressive.It sounds like either:A a bad trip, or b:Like an alien hostile uninhabitable planet with no atmosphere.

Opinions?

ff5 chocobo mambo

Vs

ff4 chocobo theme

Ff5 wins in this one.

Galuf vs tellah

Opinions? Both die so fair to compare.

Also Edward vs kril

Who do you dislike more? Who do you like more?

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 26th February 2016 09:37

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210553
Posted: 26th February 2016 09:29

Black Mage

Awards:
Syldra might count as a character with a tragic death. Also, let's not talk about the villages that got consumed by the Void, which are many and not a few, including Bartz's hometown Lix. Top it all off with the Phantom Village; a village that neither exists nor doesn't exist. We also have King Tycoon's death. And Bartz's backstory with his parents. How Faris became who she is. Lenna and Hiryuu. And then, Krile and Galuf.

Oh, and there's the deal about Boko. Though to be honest, there's also Sazh's Chocobo (or was it a Chicobo? Thanks FFVIII) in FFXIII.

There's so many.

As for the second and third votes, FF4's world maps had a certain musical touch to them, though that's the DS version.

--------------------
Post #210554
Posted: 26th February 2016 14:35

Crusader

Awards:
It's true ff4 has wonderful music.

Personally krile was really unlikeable and robotic.I never did like krile at all, and preferred galuf.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210555
Posted: 26th February 2016 22:49

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I still think that FF4 had too many plot components and plot twists.

It was interesting, but it didn't hold together well the way FF5 did. FF5 may have been more archetypal, but it was more effective because it didn't try to overreach and put too much into the story.

FF4 basically felt like plot twists were practically the norm. The characters were largely also shallow because they kept on getting sucked into these plot twists (in one case literally). Stuff just happened because it was there.

But FF5 had a more coherent setting lore that led to the circumstances of the story, and then gradually worked that story up to a mid-game climax and an endgame climax. Aside from Neo-Exdeath coming out of nowhere, basically all the pieces of FF5 actually seemed to fit together, rather than being thrown in just because it might be interesting.

TL;DR FF5 felt more right than FF4

Alternate phrasing: FF4 felt like an RPG campaign thrown together, but FF5 felt like a complete story.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 26th February 2016 22:53

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #210556
Posted: 27th February 2016 11:14

Crusader

Awards:
I think ff4 was holding out well till the
lunarian plot point, and father being a moon man, then things fell apart.I think also golbez being Cecil's brother and being under mind control and zeromus being a being of pure hate just ruined it.The plot is so ridiculous and silly, that at least xdeath plot is more interesting.The idea of crystals holding xdeath for an example and xdeath absorbing the void and gaining power of the void, and galuf being an alien from an alternate universe is vastly more interesting.

To me, ff5s plot just seems more interesting and less ridiculous.

On the other hand:Ff4 characters and Cecil trying to redeem himself for what he did in misidia was good.I think the characters were very good.

rydia for an example you can really end up liking.
She being afraid of fire because her village was burned down

Tellah having only thing left is rage and hate after his daughter died, and resigned himself to death in the end and admitted that all that bitterness was for naught.Truth is:I like tellah too.

It's hard to decide which one is better now that I look at it.Even if the plot is so ridiculous, I have nostalgia and love for ff4, and I think both games have their strengths.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210557
Posted: 29th February 2016 17:56

Black Mage

Awards:
Since it seems we have exhausted FFV vs. FFIV, I think we should now go over FFV vs. FFVII for a change of subject.

Of course I'm not doing a FFV vs. FFVI...there will be a major landslide. Trust me.

--------------------
Post #210567
Posted: 2nd March 2016 11:41

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Pooka @ 29th February 2016 17:56)
Since it seems we have exhausted FFV vs. FFIV, I think we should now go over FFV vs. FFVII for a change of subject.

Of course I'm not doing a FFV vs. FFVI...there will be a major landslide. Trust me.

FfV vs vi lets do it:

Kefka is slightly ridiculous as a villain I accept that, but so is xdeath.

Both have interesting character development but Kefka might have more.
Kefka evolves from being a laughable joke of a villain to a deadly serious psychopath.
To going further insane after godhood and coming to the conclusion life is meaningless.

Xdeath evolves from being unknown to becoming known and immediate threat to absorbing the void and trying to put everyone in the void.

Both have likeable characters.So much so it's hard to decide.Terra is so strong that I think only one that might compete is either Bartz or galuf.

Actually I think Terra is stronger than Bartz, so it comes down to galuf vs Terra.

Locke vs Bartz seems fair.Locke has one strong scene of his backstory, and that is the forever Rachel scene.Im pretty sure Bartz has one scene too.

Cyan vs reina.This one is hard since I think I liked cyan more than Locke.Seeing him suffer and lose hope and be affected by Kefka so much means something.He is the only character who. Has no one to go home with.His son and wife are dead.

Reina is a princess who lost her dad and she went to stop the crystals from shattering.

I think ff6 wins simply because of Kefka winning and leaving the world a near lifeless ruin and people losing hope.It has a massive amount of power, and the very meaning and songs in the second half took a serious note, unlike ffV.Both are good games though.You could argue that ffV had more replayability, and I would give you points for that because of the job system.I also prefer the music in many ways in ffIv and I love the music in ff9, but I still love the music in 6 as well.Its just that ff3 has more memorable town music and ffIv and has better world map music.Im not a fan of Terras theme.

Dancing mad vs xdeath.dancing mad wins hands down, it's highly complex piece of music full of emotion and meaning.

Plot wise ffV does some things that are interesting that ff6 doesn't like inter dimensional travel.I admit I like it.

Also ultros vs Gilgamesh:Tie both are so entertaining I can't really say.Gilgamesh has a great song, so does ultros.Gilgamesh is silly, so is ultros.Both have entertaining values.

Opinions?

Oh yeah comedy value of Kefka vs Bartz and xdeath.Both have some silly stuff.Remember when Bartz and galuf find out faris is a girl? Hehe.kefka is easily one of the most entertaining parts of ff6.

There is also bocco vs mog.Both have their entertainment value and aren't any serious characters.They are mostly their for comedic value and flavor.

Opinions?

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210574
Posted: 2nd March 2016 14:56

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
I think the contrast is interesting, primarily because of the difference in the number of characters. I think, based on how they're defined, FFV characters are just less well-rounded and less interesting, but they get lot of interaction, so they feel like people. FFVI characters are given strong motivations and clear structures, but because the get so little time each, and that time has to be given to efficient development and exposition, so they feel like characters.

Overall, I prefer FFVI, character-wise, but I don't know that there's any sort of objective decision to be made.

I agree with Kefka v. Exdeath. He's got an arc, if not really a motivation that can be empathized with.

I really love all this music analysis, by the way. I'm not usually too conscious of it outside of a couple specific songs (FFVI's Wild West is one of my all-time favorites).

--------------------
Post #210576
Posted: 3rd March 2016 05:13

Black Mage

Awards:
So we did FFV vs. FFVI anyways? Fine... Yipee woohoo...

• Kefka vs. Exdeath: There's no comparison for me. Exdeath all the way. Sure Kefka might start out as a pathetic loser who rants and rants against everything, but that just makes me not like him even more. Meanwhile, Exdeath already starts out powerful as implied by the fact that he was sealed and not destroyed. It takes a level in coolness when you're sealed and you undo that seal all by yourself before revealing yourself to the heroes.
  • Characters: FFVI wins by the character count against every Final Fantasy known to man (14), but FFV manages to do more with just 5 characters. Most of these 14 characters are lucky if they got as much development as Terra, or even Celes. Meanwhile, V is relaxed on that front, with only five main characters at any time to build upon.; giving the characters what would be enough time to build strong personalities that, as Magitek_slayer above said, make them feel more like actual people over characters.
  • Gilgamesh vs. Ultros: This is a landslide in Gilgamesh's favor. He is more humorous, more recurring, and more lovable than Ultros, who just seems to be there. You get to feel even more sympathetic for him when the guy fails Exdeath because he used the Excalipoor instead of the Excalibur, and it's awesome when you get him to help you in the Rift. Meanwhile, you get to be more than happy that Ultros' final spot is working as a receptionist in the Dragon's Neck Coliseum, not even doing what Typhon does. It doesn't help matters more that Gilgamesh invaded other Final Fantasy games, including even the later versions of VI itself.
  • Music: Might as well be a draw. Nearly any Final Fantasy is great on that front. While V focuses on music that promotes the adventuring concept of the story, VI focuses more on music that fits the mostly sad atmosphere. Though I could say that the battle music for V is much better, while the boss battle for VI is much better; that much I'm certain. Gilgamesh's "Battle at the Big Bridge" just deserves it's own mention though. And so is FFVI's "Searching for Friends".

Overall, now I feel that FFVI is close to FFV in some way, but still, the extra touches that make up FFV it's own entity is what keeps me drawn in. Mostly that the story is all around a few main characters as opposed to 14; most of which I'm probably not even using for a good half of the story, and the direction taken about in FFV, including Exdeath.

--------------------
Post #210577
Posted: 3rd March 2016 15:38

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
I don't think I even have an opinion of FFV vs. FFVI or FFV vs. FFVII...they're just too different to compare...

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #210578
Posted: 4th March 2016 05:27

Treasure Hunter

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 3rd March 2016 06:38)
I don't think I even have an opinion of FFV vs. FFVI or FFV vs. FFVII...they're just too different to compare...

Pretty solidly this.

I can talk about what I prefer, but there's not really much basis for saying which is "better."

Except Gilgamesh. He has an actual reason to be where he is (at least as long as he stays in FFV), and isn't some out-of-the-blue sentient octopus. I mean, I love Ultros, but he makes absolutely no sense from start to finish.

--------------------
Post #210579
Posted: 4th March 2016 10:12

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Pooka @ 3rd March 2016 05:13)
So we did FFV vs. FFVI anyways? Fine... Yipee woohoo...

• Kefka vs. Exdeath: There's no comparison for me. Exdeath all the way. Sure Kefka might start out as a pathetic loser who rants and rants against everything, but that just makes me not like him even more. Meanwhile, Exdeath already starts out powerful as implied by the fact that he was sealed and not destroyed. It takes a level in coolness when you're sealed and you undo that seal all by yourself before revealing yourself to the heroes.

• Characters: FFVI wins by the character count against every Final Fantasy known to man (14), but FFV manages to do more with just 5 characters. Most of these 14 characters are lucky if they got as much development as Terra, or even Celes. Meanwhile, V is relaxed on that front, with only five main characters at any time to build upon.; giving the characters what would be enough time to build strong personalities that, as Magitek_slayer above said, make them feel more like actual people over characters.

• Gilgamesh vs. Ultros: This is a landslide in Gilgamesh's favor. He is more humorous, more recurring, and more lovable than Ultros, who just seems to be there. You get to feel even more sympathetic for him when the guy fails Exdeath because he used the Excalipoor instead of the Excalibur, and it's awesome when you get him to help you in the Rift. Meanwhile, you get to be more than happy that Ultros' final spot is working as a receptionist in the Dragon's Neck Coliseum, not even doing what Typhon does. It doesn't help matters more that Gilgamesh invaded other Final Fantasy games, including even the later versions of VI itself.

• Music: Might as well be a draw. Nearly any Final Fantasy is great on that front. While V focuses on music that promotes the adventuring concept of the story, VI focuses more on music that fits the mostly sad atmosphere. Though I could say that the battle music for V is much better, while the boss battle for VI is much better; that much I'm certain. Gilgamesh's "Battle at the Big Bridge" just deserves it's own mention though. And so is FFVI's "Searching for Friends".

Overall, now I feel that FFVI is close to FFV in some way, but still, the extra touches that make up FFV it's own entity is what keeps me drawn in. Mostly that the story is all around a few main characters as opposed to 14; most of which I'm probably not even using for a good half of the story, and the direction taken about in FFV, including Exdeath.

What i like about kefka is he wasnt a god, and we see him evolve into something more.There isnt that when dealing with xdeath.Also:He doesnt come into the picture

Gilgamesh and ultros:Neither one are serious and both arent to be taken seriously.In ff6, it wasnt even gilgamesh but someone else i think.He's a lot of fun though i admit it, and the music is great.Thing about ultros though:He was fucking hilarious, and the opera scene is legendary in comedy.I think what really helps is the the game is making fun of melodramatic plays and sad songs and bad acting and its as if the game is breaking the 4th wall.Its just really entertaining to watch ultros, and the dialogue is pretty funny.The music is amazing too, so i dont know what to say there.

As for battle music:Yeah i can understand why you chose the ff5 batle music, its fairly good, and you were right about ff5 having good adventure music, but what about hometown theme? thats a sad theme for bartz house? what about the world map for map 3? its not exactly happy when the void absorbs everything.I do agree the music isnt as depressing though.I also really love the phantom forest theme, and in dissidia when it is used for that scene with kuja and cloud, it works really well for that scene.Its also a very pretty theme.

FF5 has also some very nice themes too:I like the airship theme and the underwater theme in ff5.

ff5 and 6 are close in many ways, but i think both traded some things for others.FF6 focuses more on story, while 5 focuses on gameplay aspect more heavily, and does a really good job.

I do think you guys are right about interaction in 6 though, although mostly its minor dialogue in 5 that happens.

Also:I think ff5 has better optional bosses, since there are more.I also think the game also keeps you playing longer.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 4th March 2016 10:28

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210580
Posted: 5th March 2016 03:51

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
One thing I like about FF5 is that the final dungeon really feels like a very nice final dungeon. Imposing premise and appearance before you enter, ominous music, weird aesthetics, and a lineup of bosses daring you to come at them.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 5th March 2016 03:58

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #210581
Posted: 5th March 2016 09:15

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 5th March 2016 03:51)
One thing I like about FF5 is that the final dungeon really feels like a very nice final dungeon.  Imposing premise and appearance before you enter, ominous music, weird aesthetics, and a lineup of bosses daring you to come at them.

And the optional bosses are harder than ff6 bosses

The final level is pretty good design too.

I wonder though if these old games really hold up?

Ff6 graphics are fine but gameplay wise and story:It's really good, but the designers of modern ff design the games totally different.

We would have:Hours of boring exposition.
Repetitive gameplay
Extremely linear gameplay
Cliche one dimensional villains.

In the 90s you could forgive it because there was limitations, and it was newer in the early 90s, but 2000s on to 2016?

that would mean ff5 wouldn't hold up either since its in 2d, and we have proven ffV is a good game.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 6th March 2016 11:08

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210582
Posted: 5th March 2016 20:19

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (magitek_slayer)

What does it mean to "hold up" anyway?

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #210583
Posted: 6th March 2016 11:14

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 5th March 2016 20:19)
Quote (magitek_slayer)

Well what I mean is:Things have changed so drastically so I was thinking if ff6 ff7 and games before it if they hold up today in their original form.I remember watching a video from nostalgia critic a few weeks ago about how if the movie labyrinth were done today, it would be 3 hours long lots of sci fi special effects and the brother would probably be bratty instead of the older sister, and there likely be lots over explaining, so that made me wonder about older games.Its true that changes are sometimes so drastic things would have to change to be desireable in today's rapidly changing world.

An example:You look at the call of duty fanbase whom have short attention spans and don't want to think, just get straight into the action:That is totally different from RPGs, and RPGs nowadays have to have either lots of exposition and sacrifice of gameplay.

Anyways it's a bit too off topic and derailed the conversation I'm sorry.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210584
Posted: 6th March 2016 16:06

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 6th March 2016 06:14)
Quote (magitek_slayer)

Well what I mean is:Things have changed so drastically so I was thinking if ff6 ff7 and games before it if they hold up today in their original form.I remember watching a video from nostalgia critic a few weeks ago about how if the movie labyrinth were done today, it would be 3 hours long lots of sci fi special effects and the brother would probably be bratty instead of the older sister, and there likely be lots over explaining, so that made me wonder about older games.Its true that changes are sometimes so drastic things would have to change to be desireable in today's rapidly changing world.

An example:You look at the call of duty fanbase whom have short attention spans and don't want to think, just get straight into the action:That is totally different from RPGs, and RPGs nowadays have to have either lots of exposition and sacrifice of gameplay.

I just don't get what you mean by "hold up".

Do you mean whether it would be likely to be made today? Or whether it would be likely to be made today by a AAA company? Or whether it would be likely to be financially successful to a mainstream gaming audience?

You still haven't explained it.

This post has been edited by Glenn Magus Harvey on 6th March 2016 16:07

--------------------
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.

Post #210585
Posted: 6th March 2016 19:47

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (Glenn Magus Harvey @ 6th March 2016 16:06)
Quote (Magitek_slayer @ 6th March 2016 06:14)
Quote (magitek_slayer)

I just don't get what you mean by "hold up".

Do you mean whether it would be likely to be made today? Or whether it would be likely to be made today by a AAA company? Or whether it would be likely to be financially successful to a mainstream gaming audience?

You still haven't explained it.

The third one.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210586
Posted: 7th March 2016 08:19

Black Waltz

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Any media work, be it a game, movie or book or tv show, is inevitably the product of the time in which it was made.

All the final fantasy games are still available, and can be played and enjoyed, but as to their "super megahit " status, they're long past their sales prime.

This is kind of the logic behind remaking them...they just don't look and feel as intense and *attention-grabbing* as modern games have become.

FF has had a really rocky transition to that level of intensity...it's a game about managing stats and experiencing a storyline, not primarily a game with the visceral "punch somebody in the face" intensity of, say, a fighting game like Tekken or Street Fighter.

Games have become far more adrenaline charged experiences with time. I'm hoping that ff15 isn't going to be all action, all the time...that would squash the "wandering through green fields finding stuff" feel that an rpg is supposed to have, in my opinion.

But as to the question at hand, no, they don't make a very tasty financial prospect at this point compared to a triple-a release.

All things have their appointed time...turn-based combat and thoughtful exploration may have run their course in the gaming business.

--------------------
X is blue.
Post #210587
Posted: 7th March 2016 09:58

Crusader

Awards:
Especially if you add in games like:Mass effect series.Shooters are faster paced with less story involvement.Also:Multiplayer experience.I can't begin to count how many games seem to tack on multiplayer in hopes of cashing in, or making a multiplayer game, like dead island, or left 4 dead.Seems like few make single player games nowadays in triple a games.Online isn't needed for RPGs, and sometimes it detracts from the experience.

It sort of reminds me of the group of people I found playing Space station 13 server hippies which is chaotic:Roleplaying is for losers.Obviously little 5 year old call of duty kids.And the cutscenes, my god the cutscenes.there is so much filler nowadays that a game can be practically filler moments that are forgettable.

And lastly:Seems like a lot of games don't want to leave anything for figuring out.I have lost faith in the series of final fantasy due to their inability to keep stories simple and yet interesting.FFXIII was a mess and so was x.8 seemed more focused than 7 in story but it was ridiculous.You get where I'm going st don't you? the last good jrpg I played was lost odyssey which had a story that could be followed without over complicating things and interesting characters.Its kind of what I wish From the ff series to come back to:Focused storytelling and good character development.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210588
Posted: 9th March 2016 09:17

Crusader

Awards:
What about ffV vs 7 let's try that?

I'm not really keen on this one, especially since I like the gameplay and story but not the characters.

Xdeath versus sephiroth:Who is actually better?

Sephiroth has more backstory albeit a ridiculous one.He though by reading books that he was the son of Jenova and meant to conquer the world.His would make him crazy not evil.Also square enix is pushing him that he is evil.It is true you can be influenced by content but you need context.

Xdeath is a very silly villain but you know what? He went serious by absorbing the void and sending most towns there.

Personally I have less problem taking xdeath seriously than sephiroth.

Main star:

Cloud strife versus Bartz optimism.

Personally I prefer Bartz since cloud always strikes me as s jerk.Of course this is opinion.
Later on cloud is still moping.He doesn't seem much like an anti hero to me.A truly good one is Thomas covenant from the covenant books.He is told he has lepracy and his family leaves him, and the town shuns him, so he ends up hating himself because he thinks something is wrong.Oh yeah his wife left with his son, so he's lost hope, only thing he has is death.Now that is what I call pain.

Tifa versus Reina:Tifa:Tifa has way more backstory than Reina.She lost her parents but didn't lose hope and is trying to stop sephiroth.She also has a backstory deeper than clouds.I actually really like Tifa.

Barret versus galuf:This is hard but I actually think galuf wins.Galuf has more to him than Barrett in backstory even if he's just a father trying to protect his daughter and raise her in a clean world.He has a perspective that is quite different Fromm loads since he has something to fight for and lose.Cloud is a blank state to me.

Cid versus faris:I'm going with faris.Cid has one big cutscene and that it, and ffV involve its characters in more than one scene adding something.Its also not that big of a scene for cid.Now if it was ff6 Cid, I would have chosen him.

Red XIII versus krile:Red.I wasn't that interested in red.Hes got the American Indian thing going which I have no problem with, but nothing interesting.Krile is the epitome of boring.She says nothing of interest and without emotion, and she isn't funny.

Aerith:Don't care for her
Yuffie don't care for her
Cait sith:Don't like him
Vincent:Don't like him.

This post has been edited by Magitek_slayer on 9th March 2016 09:39

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #210594
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: