CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Wind God Gau?

Posted: 30th April 2004 18:22

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
Hey, all. I am playing through FFVI again and this time am going to utilize Gau to the max of his ability.

I keep hearing talk about "Wind God Gau" and was wondering just what exactly this term means. Is it a combination of rage / relics? Hopefully someone can enlighten me.

--------------------
Je ne t'aime plus,
Mon amour...

Je ne t'aime plus,
Tous les jours...
Post #39821
Posted: 30th April 2004 18:38

Chimera

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. 
I keep hearing talk about "Wind God Gau" and was wondering just what exactly this term means. Is it a combination of rage / relics? Hopefully someone can enlighten me.

Funny, I don't keep hearing talk of it. Are you saying you heard this a lot around here? I've never heard it before.

Someone enlighten me, too, please, if there's anything to be enlightened about.

--------------------
Wow. 1,000 posts.

I miss you all now that I'm in boarding school! ;_;
Post #39823
Posted: 30th April 2004 18:48

Magitek Soldier

Awards:
I have heard it on a couple of posts here, such as Your Party, where Djibriel stated that he must
admit that Wind God Gau/Gogo are both exceedingly nice
to have in a party.

I have also seen it on certain pages as well. I don't know if that is just a nickname that he has picked up or a certain aspect of his versatility in FFVI... if someone could please shed light on this topic that would be wonderful. Maybe it just has to do with the fact that Gau is one of the few characters with wind-elemental attacks readily available to him.

--------------------
Je ne t'aime plus,
Mon amour...

Je ne t'aime plus,
Tous les jours...
Post #39828
Posted: 30th April 2004 18:58

Chimera

Awards:
If you give Gau the Merit Award relic and equip him with the Tempest sword, he'll randomly cast Wind Slash. That's the most popular combo since Wind Slash hits all enemies, but giving Gau the Ragnarok or Illumina works as well for randomly casting Flare or Pearl respectively.

This post has been edited by i90east on 30th April 2004 18:59

--------------------
FFXI (Siren server)
Tauu the Windurstian Tarutaru!
White Mage & Paladin
Post #39832
Posted: 30th April 2004 19:27

Lunarian

Awards:
Regardless of what he's doing? Or when he attacks in a rage? Does it still have a chance to cast wind slash if he's raging Rhinox and casts Life 3?

--------------------
"That Light has bestowed upon me the greatest black magic!"
Post #39839
Posted: 30th April 2004 19:44

Chimera

Awards:
Whenever Gau attacks while using a rage he has a 25% chance of casting the equipped weapon's spell. I'm not sure if this only applies to physical attacks or not.

This post has been edited by i90east on 30th April 2004 19:59

--------------------
FFXI (Siren server)
White Mage & Paladin
Post #39843
Posted: 30th April 2004 19:44

Dragoon

Awards:
I have never heard about a "Wind God Gau". Is this on one of the FFVI x-pert versions?
Post #39844
Posted: 30th April 2004 19:51

Lunarian

Awards:
One more clarification. So it is only considered when he attacks, correct? Not when he does a special like "Catscratch"?

This post has been edited by The Ancient on 30th April 2004 19:52

--------------------
"That Light has bestowed upon me the greatest black magic!"
Post #39848
Posted: 30th April 2004 19:54

Chimera

Awards:
I know for sure that Gau can randomly cast a spell after doing a Catscratch since this is the rage I usually use. When I get home from work I'll see if Gau does it with magic attacks if no one else can verify this.

Quote (GamblingCat)
I have never heard about a "Wind God Gau". Is this on one of the FFVI x-pert versions?

No, you can do this in the regular game.

This post has been edited by i90east on 30th April 2004 19:57

--------------------
FFXI (Siren server)
White Mage & Paladin
Post #39850
Posted: 1st May 2004 00:31

Group Icon
Lunarian

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
Whenever Gau attacks while using a rage he has a 25% chance of casting the equipped weapon's spell. I'm not sure if this only applies to physical attacks or not.

!90east would be correct when talking about any other weapon then the Tempest Knife, since the chance spells casted AFTER the initial physical attack appear is indeed 25 %. However, the Tempest Knife causes the Wind Slash attack INSTEAD of the physical hit and is different from the rest. A 50 % chance.

Whenever Gau uses a physical attack, either Battle/Fight or an enemy special listed under the Rage he's using (let it be Catscratch or a special that doesn't damage anything, such as Numblade), there's a 50 % chance of Gau casting Wind Slash instead of the normal attack. This Wind Slash takes over the abilities of the Special attack.

When used in a Catscratch (Stray Cat Rage), the damage of Wind Slash is multiplied by 4. That's a wind-elemental Goner for ya.

When used in a Numblade (Primordite), you'll get a Wind Slash that doesn't do any damage at all but becomes a Stop status inflicter. That's nice, since that makes the Wind Slash an unblockable and multi-target Stop.

This is only when using physical attacks, and whatever other move Gau will use, let it be Megahit, terrain magic, normal Magic, the Water Skean. etc. he'll just use the normal thing and won't bother with Wind Slash at all.

P.S. I've always wondered why everybody dismisses Gogo as a potential Wind God. Sure, his stats are lower then Gau's, but equipped with typical Gogo equipment, Magus Rod and Tao Robe and all, his Magic Power will be superior to Gau's and he'll be a better Wind God should he create a Catscratch Wind Slash.

This post has been edited by Djibriel on 1st May 2004 00:36

--------------------
Post #39940
Posted: 1st May 2004 02:26
SOLDIER

Awards:
Well, actually, there is a physical strike and then Wind Slash. What happens to the physical strike is that its Bat.Pwr is zeroed should Tempest set up Wind Slash to follow it. Confirmation of this is easy, use a status-inflicting Special w/ Tempest.

When it comes to FF6 PS, you can't dismiss Gogo because it becomes the only candidate for Wind God on that version besides Strago, and I don't think anyone wants that.

Won't speculate on other reasons, but I prefer Gau myself since I want Gogo to be doing other things rather than Rage.

--------------------
Post #39969
Posted: 1st May 2004 08:48

Group Icon
Lunarian

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Vital involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. Member of more than five years. 
Are you absolutely sure 'bout that? When you should miss with the initial swing for some reason (the Evade bug patch being the best of them all, but Cactrot still can evade a 150 Hit Rate Fight command), the Wind Slash still can be performed. What you say doesn't actually rule that out, but it certainly hints in the direction that Wind Slash can only appear when the initial physical strike is there to be nulled out.

Also:
When it comes to FF6 PS, you can't dismiss Gogo because it becomes the only candidate for Wind God on that version besides Strago, and I don't think anyone wants that.

Some explanation would be helpful.

This post has been edited by Djibriel on 1st May 2004 08:50

--------------------
Post #40009
Posted: 1st May 2004 18:18
SOLDIER

Awards:
I said already everything I'll say about the physical strike. Confirmation of this is easy, use a status-inflicting Special w/ Tempest. If that must be clarified as well, the physical strike, should it hit, will still inflict the status of the Special whether Tempest nulled Bat.Pwr itself or not. When that happens, Wind Slash will miss the affected target but not any other vulnerable enemies.

And Gau can't use Merit Award in FF6 PS.

--------------------
Post #40052
Posted: 2nd May 2004 10:35

Group Icon
Lunarian

Awards:
Ah, I see. It still is weird in combination with the missing of the initial strike, but you're right.

--------------------
Post #40105
Posted: 2nd May 2004 14:30

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
When Gau does this "Wind God" trick, does he make the stuff wind-elemental? Like, if he does that 4xpower attack does it become wind-elemental, or does it stay non-elemental even though it has the Wind Slash animation?

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #40117
Posted: 2nd May 2004 19:48

Group Icon
Lunarian

Awards:
Yar, his Wind Slash which he uses in his physical attacks is wind-elemental. Also, since the Tempest Knife used for the trick is wind-elemental even when he doesn't use Wind Slash, all Gau's physical attacks will become wind-elemental.

It's one of the dowd-sides of Wind God Gau/Gogo. But who cares, since we're still talking about the second-strongest attack in the game.

--------------------
Post #40153
Posted: 2nd May 2004 22:22
SOLDIER

Awards:
Wind is also the second-least protected against element in the game (only 20 can null/absorb Wind, the first being Pearl at only 19). See here, under documents.

--------------------
Post #40163
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: