CoN 25th Anniversary: 1997-2022
Unpopular gaming opinions that you have

Posted: 25th March 2011 03:26

Cactuar

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
user posted image

Needed to be said. tongue.gif

Also, on topic, I want to see a Final Fantasy game set in real life. Think about it. Final Fantasy. Where you cast Firaga on the Taliban. How is THAT not awesome?

--------------------
"When we think there's no hope left, we keep looking until we find some!" - Claire Farron
Post #193747
Posted: 25th March 2011 21:14

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (skwaag5233 @ 24th March 2011 18:29)
meh, people who look at older games are probably like "wow those games must suck" because if a game looks unappealing, even if it is the best game ever, is probably one you don't want to play. But bad graphics does not always equate to bad gameplay (though it is hard to list games with bad graphics because these days probably 90% of funding goes to graphcis lol jk). And I agree with you on the graphics. Graphics back then were much more impressive because the creators had to use their brains to get around the limitations. Nowadays every game looks exactly the same. Which is why I'm glad skyward sword on the wii is using cartoonish graphics. It's also why Borderlands is one of the only FPSes I actually like

I don't see how people could look back at games like Super Metroid and call those bad graphics, but oh well. That's actually very common. People have the same reactions towards movies, music, basically any creation. Those people are just missing out on classic works. I'm not saying all were great, but many classic games possess some of the most beautiful graphics ever created, and they're the ones missing out because they can't look past the Halo graphics.

--------------------
Post #193764
Posted: 25th March 2011 22:34

Engineer

Awards:
Quote (Smash Genesis @ 24th March 2011 22:26)
Also, on topic, I want to see a Final Fantasy game set in real life. Think about it. Final Fantasy. Where you cast Firaga on the Taliban. How is THAT not awesome?

A bit off-topic, but apparently Sakaguchi wanted FF VIII set in New York City originally. How strange things could have been...

I don't know much about modern gaming opinions, so I can't say what I believe that's unpopular and what isn't. A few years ago I could say that I like FF IX and Chrono Cross, but these days people have warmed up to them so it's not so unusual. I guess my biggest unpopular opinion, at least for this forum, is how I was totally bored with Dissidia. Loved the idea but I had hoped more for a casual fighting game a la Marvel vs. Capcom and Smash Bros. What I got was more like Soul Calibur in terms of complexity, which is too much work for an old man like me.

--------------------
"If art doesn't risk upsetting expectations and challenging its audience, it can only stagnate."
Post #193768
Posted: 25th March 2011 22:45

Black Waltz

Awards:
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Third place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. Second place in the 2007 Name that Tune contest. Second place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
I actually found Chrono Trigger to not quite live up to the hype. Great game yes, but when it's being held up one of the greatest games of all time, you'd expect a little bit more. I enjoyed the way the plot moves, but by the time you get to the end you realize how underwhelming the plot is, and I do have to join the bandwagon in complaining about the brevity.
Still one of the great RPGs, but I could easily name several that I would put above it.

Also, with all nostalghia aside, I find Brawl better than Melee on just about all fronts.

This post has been edited by Sherick on 25th March 2011 22:46

--------------------
I fear my heart and fear my soul
Life goes on, it surely will,
Without me and I wonder:
Will I ever see light again?

Life goes on...
Post #193769
Posted: 7th April 2011 21:15

Maniacal Clown

Awards:
Third place in CoNCAA, 2019. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2014. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (Smash Genesis)
: Also, on topic, I want to see a Final Fantasy game set in real life. Think about it. Final Fantasy. Where you cast Firaga on the Taliban. How is THAT not awesome?

I had a very similar idea years back, which I think I've even chronicled in detail on this site. Though it was based on my experience with FFIV, rather than the newer FF games, alongside Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG. I had dreams of high school disputes and international politics playing out as JRPG battles.

Though I abandoned the idea a few years ago, since I had trouble coming up with a coherent plot for it (read: one that's not just a bunch of stupid wish fulfillment, but actually makes sense).

Quote (BlitzSage)
I don't see how people could look back at games like Super Metroid and call those bad graphics, but oh well.

Actually, I don't think that SMet's graphics are quite top-notch; for example, Samus's sprite looks a bit like bags of yellow muscles tied up. At least, that's the impression I got. I prefer Zero Mission's Samus sprites (talking here about armored Samus).

That said, this is different from saying that they're bad, or that you need hundreds of polygons for stuff to look good.

--------------------
current games (2024-02-19):
Fairy Fencer F ADF
Pokémon Perfect Crystal

finished so far this year:
Gato Roboto
drowning, drowning
New Super Mario Bros.
TMNT 3: Radical Rescue

tabled: Lost Ruins
Post #194022
Posted: 7th April 2011 22:50

Cactuar

Awards:
I think Tetsuya Nomura is one of Square Enix's most valuable employees. Yes, he's a sucky artist, but man has he made some great games. Of the game's he's had creative control over - The World Ends with You, Dissidia, Dissidia Duodecim, and the entire Kingdom Hearts franchise - they all have deep and nuanced gameplay, and though I don't his character designs, I really like his eye for flashy and over-the-top combat. Oh, and yeah, he comes up with some weird names, but I REALLY like the way they sound.

I have NO CLUE what "Birth by Sleep" means, but it SOUNDS awesome. (Plus, I'm told it's explained in the secret ending.)

Also, I'm not a big fan of Amano's art, I like Pokemon more than Final Fantasy, and I like handhelds more than home consoles.

--------------------
"When we think there's no hope left, we keep looking until we find some!" - Claire Farron
Post #194023
Posted: 8th April 2011 07:13

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Quote (Sherick @ 25th March 2011 22:45)
I actually found Chrono Trigger to not quite live up to the hype. Great game yes, but when it's being held up one of the greatest games of all time, you'd expect a little bit more. I enjoyed the way the plot moves, but by the time you get to the end you realize how underwhelming the plot is, and I do have to join the bandwagon in complaining about the brevity.
Still one of the great RPGs, but I could easily name several that I would put above it.

Also, with all nostalghia aside, I find Brawl better than Melee on just about all fronts.

I saw this guy who on youtube bashed ff7 and was praising chrono trigger,my first reaction:HYPOCRITE!!

Yeah,its people like him who make great games like chrono trigger and ff6 overrated,even if just a little bit.

Yeah ok i hate ff7 cause of what it did in terms of making melodrama popular and having more cutscenes than actual gaming that are mind numbingly boring,but ff6 wasn't perfect either.

They are slightly but only cause of stupid people who trash talk games and have the intelligence level of an ape.

I'm talking about:

Miraclekd18:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGqYbF2NL-w terrible sound seen the comment before,also attacked a person when they asked about their opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIqLK_fep9o:second horrible comment.

My thoughts:couldn't he put some creative thought into 1 video instead of repeating the same stuff? oh and like it or die? is that a threat? really? what the heck man? its only a game.

--------------------
We are stardust.Our bodies are made from the guts of exploding stars.

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #194033
Posted: 8th April 2011 16:44

Dragoon

Awards:
FFVIII is an awesome game. Spoony would go nuts if someone said that in his presence.
Post #194051
Posted: 8th April 2011 21:25

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Spoony is a jerkoff, so no problems there..

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
The victor sacrificed the vanquished to the heavens
Post #194069
Posted: 8th April 2011 21:51

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I saw Spoony live at MAGFest in January. Pretty normal internet gaming humor. Not terribly funny. John St. John, however, is the man.

Random unpopular gaming opinion: anyone that truly believes in the "video game designers as auteurs" theory is basically full of it. A video game director, writer, or artist has MUCH less control of a video game's production than a film director or screenwriter has over a film. Subscribing to the theory that Sakaguchi's departure led to a major change in quality in the Final Fantasy series (or any other Square property) is basically bull****. I've seen too much of this downright incorrect ideal on this forum.

--------------------
Post #194071
Posted: 9th April 2011 00:40

Cactuar

Awards:
laszlow, have I mentioned how much I love you lately?

Also, I think Final Fantasy XII was bad. That's decently unpopular, right?

--------------------
Post #194077
Posted: 9th April 2011 01:49

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (laszlow @ 8th April 2011 17:51)
Random unpopular gaming opinion: anyone that truly believes in the "video game designers as auteurs" theory is basically full of it. A video game director, writer, or artist has MUCH less control of a video game's production than a film director or screenwriter has over a film. Subscribing to the theory that Sakaguchi's departure led to a major change in quality in the Final Fantasy series (or any other Square property) is basically bull****. I've seen too much of this downright incorrect ideal on this forum.

I think that's one of those that is unpolular, but true. You know? I think game's would be much more experimental if the designers had more control, but they don't. Not yet, anyways.

--------------------
Post #194080
Posted: 9th April 2011 02:13

Black Waltz

Awards:
Voted for all the fanart in the CoNvent Calendar 2015. User has rated 150 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Member of more than ten years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
Third place in the Final Fantasy Music CoNtest, 2010-2011 Member of more than five years. Second place in the 2007 Name that Tune contest. Second place in the 2009 Quiz contest. 
Quote (laszlow @ 8th April 2011 16:51)
I saw Spoony live at MAGFest in January. Pretty normal internet gaming humor. Not terribly funny. John St. John, however, is the man.

When it comes to wrestling though, he's pretty damn funny. If nothing else, he can do some great impressions, particularly Orton and Triple H.

--------------------
I fear my heart and fear my soul
Life goes on, it surely will,
Without me and I wonder:
Will I ever see light again?

Life goes on...
Post #194082
Posted: 9th April 2011 02:36

Engineer

Awards:
Random unpopular gaming opinion: anyone that truly believes in the "video game designers as auteurs" theory is basically full of it.

Ouch! I was sort of nervous that this topic would degenerate into personal attacks, but I didn't expect them to be on me.

This post has been edited by trismegistus on 9th April 2011 02:42

--------------------
"If art doesn't risk upsetting expectations and challenging its audience, it can only stagnate."
Post #194084
Posted: 9th April 2011 03:50

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (trismegistus @ 8th April 2011 22:36)
Random unpopular gaming opinion: anyone that truly believes in the "video game designers as auteurs" theory is basically full of it.

Ouch! I was sort of nervous that this topic would degenerate into personal attacks, but I didn't expect them to be on me.

Guess he's gonna have to apologize for telling the truth, lol.

--------------------
Post #194087
Posted: 9th April 2011 11:18

Group Icon
Dude on a Walrus

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than ten years. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
Member of more than five years. Third place in CoNCAA, 2005. First place in CoN Fantasy Football, 2005. Has more than fifty news submissions to CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Quote (trismegistus @ 8th April 2011 21:36)

You're not the only one it was directed towards. And really, it's less a personal attack and more that I just really, really disagree with that belief. And really, I'm angrier at the people that think that Square "stopped caring about gamers" or "got taken over by Enix" or something like that when Sakaguchi left. Those people are even stupider.

This post has been edited by laszlow on 9th April 2011 11:20

--------------------
Post #194092
Posted: 9th April 2011 18:56

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
Quote (laszlow @ 8th April 2011 22:51)
Random unpopular gaming opinion: anyone that truly believes in the "video game designers as auteurs" theory is basically full of it.  A video game director, writer, or artist has MUCH less control of a video game's production than a film director or screenwriter has over a film.  Subscribing to the theory that Sakaguchi's departure led to a major change in quality in the Final Fantasy series (or any other Square property) is basically bull****.  I've seen too much of this downright incorrect ideal on this forum.

Edit: Looking back now I'm sure I'm just stating the obvious and I'm guessing you meant auteur in the sense of a creator within a big studio. I'll leave up what I wrote anyway.

I agree in general, but let's remember that really small games studios and certain games or mods really do have auteurs, as you say. What you said about game designers implies that Jonathan Blow did not have control of the creation of Braid, or Markus Persson was not integral to Minecraft. There are big personalities in game creation just like in film, and they do have a high level of control in overall production.

On your point about Sakaguchi, I similarly don't think his leaving was the end of SE as I really enjoyed FFXII and thought Lost Odyssey was awful. At the same time I wouldn't say it was because Sakaguchi left that I enjoyed FFXII, which conforms entirely with your point.

This post has been edited by sweetdude on 9th April 2011 20:06

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #194098
Posted: 11th April 2011 14:10

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I prefer Dragon Quest over Final Fantasy. Oh, and I don't mind the direction Team Fortress 2 is going in.
Post #194120
Posted: 11th April 2011 16:00

Crusader

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Member of more than five years. 
Since we are on unpopular opinions,here is my opinion:

I find final fantasy heroes to have become rather stale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YB7Tfa-eNQ

He reminds me so much of raiden for some reason with that melodrama.
There is something about hope that seriously annoys me and makes me want to kill this boy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AukplavvFmM

see him whining? wtf man? this is why i hate him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEyMtmkG9Vc

Your typical jrpg scene where the coward tries to face his fears.

This is also one reason why i think final fantasy is becoming stale.

We are always faced with the typical dilemma.

I have seen so many times certain characters that it has become tiresome.

First it started with yuffie who some people hate but back then it wasn't annoying much yet because it was still new to the series,then we got selphie who was far too cheery for me and i never cared for her and her whole happy happy attitude with no problems at all,its unrealistic.

No human being is always happy,what about her problems? i don't see much depth to her at all.

Zell is pretty much hyper active happy all the time and UGH!! Vanille!! oh god does anyone actually like her? she is an exact duplicate of selphie cept with only 1 personality:HAPPY HAPPY!! At least she isn't as annoying as hope who whines constantly how he is weak and wimpers and hides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjAv0bpzUVs&feature=related

Ok i know this is contradictory:but squall is nothing like cloud.

Possible spoilers: highlight to view
He has problems with relating to people and seems rather bad with comunications. Lacks self confidence and doesn't trust anyone.

For me its interesting because all of the characters in final fantasy to that point have been similar.

Cloud was a jerk because he was angry and venting his anger on everyone and at that point was being emo so to speak in that manner feeling sorry for himself.

Squall was generally not self confident and suffers nervous breakdowns in worrying as we can see when cid gives him his position as commander of the entire island and he worries himself to death about his job and his chores and wether he is meant for the job.

The other parts weren't as interesting for me and neither was rinoa.
I wasn't much for romance parts and i've seen it far too many times in fairy tales and honestly:seems like most final fantasies follow the similar or same formula:hero saves the world gets the girl and makes her his wife or girlfriend kills the stereotype villain who always wants to conquer the world.

Honestly:thats another of my problems:villains:seems like it all comes down to most of the time:wanting to conquer the world with very little else.

I dunno:

we've had a villain we pity:
At least i pitied him:
Sephiroth and kuja

Kuja wasn't really evil,he was misguided
Sephiroth was a victim of society:a hero made into a villain and proves what happens when you let loose your best soldier and what would happen if you don't keep things under wraps.

In contrast:its shinra's fault sephiroth turned against his empire and he asked for it.

The company made a monster known as sephiroth:a solider thinking and skilled and capable of causing chaos in a city when let loose because infected with jenova which possibly helped make him go mad.

It did it with hojo,could it also help with sephiroth?

Seymour i don't know what to classify him.

He's disturbed and wanted to marry yuna and died and refused to be sent.

I can't remember the full story so i can't really comment much.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #194124
Posted: 13th April 2011 04:20

Red Wing Pilot

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. First place in CoNCAA, 2011. Third place in CoN World Cup, 2010. Member of more than five years. 
Second place in CoNCAA, 2005. 
Wow, there are some very interesting opinions here. Although mine may not be too unpopular, I know FFVIII has been seen as one of the least favorite of the series. After FFVI, VIII is actually my favorite. Part of that has to do with the fact that it was my first game on the Playstation One. I played it before VII and thought it was vastly superior at the time. After replaying both several times now, I see VII in a much better light, but it still doesn't crack my top 5 FF games.

That list in itself may be unpopular as well. Although there's been shuffling through out the years (every day I'm shufflin' a la LMFAO), here are my currently top 5:

1. FFVI
2. FFVIII
3. FFIV
4. FFIX
5. FFX

Unpopular, maybe. But I'm cool with it =)

--------------------

"The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."
- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince
Post #194145
Posted: 13th April 2011 09:46

Crusader

Awards:
Quote (baralai888 @ 13th April 2011 04:20)
Wow, there are some very interesting opinions here. Although mine may not be too unpopular, I know FFVIII has been seen as one of the least favorite of the series. After FFVI, VIII is actually my favorite. Part of that has to do with the fact that it was my first game on the Playstation One. I played it before VII and thought it was vastly superior at the time. After replaying both several times now, I see VII in a much better light, but it still doesn't crack my top 5 FF games.

That list in itself may be unpopular as well. Although there's been shuffling through out the years (every day I'm shufflin' a la LMFAO), here are my currently top 5:

1. FFVI
2. FFVIII
3. FFIV
4. FFIX
5. FFX

Unpopular, maybe. But I'm cool with it =)

That's cool.

I think squall is a more interesting hero due to his social problems.

I'm used to heroes always making up excuses and saying:YOU KILLED MY FATHER!! PREPARE TO DIE!! or something like that.

Or:you killed my girlfriend,NO!!!!!!!!!!

What i disliked about ff8 particularly was selphie and irvine.

I simply couldn't stand irvine because of his lover boy attitude which has become tiresome already SIGH!!

i saw it in ff6 i think it was in ff7 but can't remember and it definitely is in ff8.

Other than that,there really isn't much or anything at all to irvine except for his romance so far and his cowardice.

Oh yeah!! another thing that pisses me off is!! he complains about being a loner but he seems waay more sociable than say:Sephiroth.

Seems to me that irvine would be social if he was able to,but his job kind of prevents it.

Oh yeah! squall isn't all that social either and refuses to trust people due to him being abandoned.

Some people say tidus is way too happy,he is quite happy actually.
I didn't mind him so much being a bit wimpy and a show off,it was different.

Now zidane!! i couldn't stand him.

After ff8 having irvine,zidane was so similar in that attitude,cept he was more kid friendly being a monkey in a colorful world full of animals.

I liked the light hearted part of the game since it was good and it certainly has those serious moments that makes you sad like:burmecian kingdom.

I'm still thinking today:If beatrix is good,then why didn't she give mercy to burmecia? how could she have done such a horrible act? its almost unforgiveable,but on the other hand:she is the coolest female ff character.

I'm tired of the goody goody female roles which i have seen in:grandia 2 tales of symphonia for an example.

I didn't like dagger either,i found her to be your typical selfish princess.

For some reason i keep thinking i see constantly the snobby selfish princess,or maybe its because i played so much breath of fire that the image was implanted in my head and i was already tired of it by the time ff9 came out.

I definitely agree though,that the weakest character in FFX by far is:khimari.

Not only do i never use him because i don't like his attacks,but he never shows any emotions and speaks rather flat.

--------------------

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Post #194149
Posted: 13th April 2011 17:35

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. 
I think Phoenix Wright: Justice For All is the the best game of the Ace Attorney franchise. On the other hand, I see Trials & Tribulations as the point where the series started to go downhill.
Post #194151
Posted: 13th April 2011 20:50

Behemoth

Awards:
Quote (Metal King Slime @ 13th April 2011 13:35)
I think Phoenix Wright: Justice For All is the the best game of the Ace Attorney franchise. On the other hand, I see Trials & Tribulations as the point where the series started to go downhill.

Maybe this is unpopular, but I have no idea what that is.

--------------------
Post #194155
Posted: 14th April 2011 09:36

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
Quote (BlitzSage @ 13th April 2011 21:50)
Quote (Metal King Slime @ 13th April 2011 13:35)

Maybe this is unpopular, but I have no idea what that is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Attorney
Post #194173
Posted: 14th April 2011 20:33
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
I recently got into an argument about how I thought RE4 control scheme would have been far more tolerable using FPS mechanics...which it would have.

--------------------
Post #194185
Posted: 10th May 2011 00:14

Holy Swordsman

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Third place in CoNCAA, 2013. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy V section of CoN. 
User has rated 75 fanarts in the CoN galleries. User has rated 25 fanarts in the CoN galleries. Winner of CoN Barclay's Premier League fantasy game for 2010-2011. Member of more than five years. 
See More (Total 11)
I don't know how unpopular this is, but anyway I thought Fallout: New Vegas was a lot better than Fallout 3, and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood was a lot better than AC2.

--------------------
Scepticism, that dry rot of the intellect, had not left one entire idea in his mind.

Me on the Starcraft.
Post #194778
Posted: 10th May 2011 02:09

Chocobo Knight

Awards:
I liked FFVIII and XIII.

For VIII, I guess it was because it was the first FF I ever played, and as a child, so many 'problems' were overlooked simply because they didn't matter to me at the time. Also, it got me into the series, so I have to give it credit no matter what.

I also liked VII. It had errors, but so does everything else. I loved the world, the abilities, the materia, and the character's attacks. I guess that made up for other things. Cloud's drama did get old, but then I'd go out and destroy some big monster with a giant sword and it was ok again. Also, if people are going to criticize Sephiroth for lack of appearance in game, they should at least mention Necron and Zemus. Neither of them show up until the end of the games, without being mentioned earlier at all.

I don't like Xbox. I just don't. I could never, and still can't, get used to the controller. I also think it's pretty over-rated. I have never seen a console that needs to be replaced so often. my 6+ year old PS2? works perfect.

I like Star Ocean. I never hear that series mentioned.

Sports games are generally off my list.

--------------------
-FFIII FFIV FFV FFVII FFVIII FFX FFXII FFXIII FF:Dissidia FFVII:CC FFVII:DoC
--KHI KHII KH:COM KH:BbS
---SO:FD SO:TTEOT SO:TLH
----DQIII DQVIII
-----DA:O DAII
------VP:S
Post #194779
Posted: 10th May 2011 08:20

Disciplinary Committee Member

Awards:
Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. 
Quote (Narratorway @ 14th April 2011 20:33)
I recently got into an argument about how I thought RE4 control scheme would have been far more tolerable using FPS mechanics...which it would have.

That would probably defeat the object of the game though, the unwieldy controls being a throwback to the former Resi games n 'all

Edit: why, that is an unpopular opinion isn't it..

This post has been edited by Blinge Odonata on 10th May 2011 08:21

--------------------
www.youtube.com/blinje
The victor sacrificed the vanquished to the heavens
Post #194784
Posted: 10th May 2011 21:46
Behemoth

Awards:
Celebrated the CoN 20th Anniversary at the forums. Contributed to the Final Fantasy VI section of CoN. Member of more than ten years. Member of more than five years. 
First place in the 2008  Has more than fifty fanarts in CoN galleries. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy I section of CoN. Major involvement in the Final Fantasy IV section of CoN. 
See More (Total 9)
Alright Imma do this right now! Top this bitches!

BIOSHOCK WAS A SHIT GAME.

Yeah, I said it! It was more than just overrated, it was outright muthaf*cking bad yo! Let me count the goddamn ways!

1) T'was a shit port!

This game is a port of the console version, an abhorrent practice most egregious here due to the fact that's it's a FPS. Let's get this straight right now: FPS were meant to be played on the PC with a mouse and keyboard. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. This is unassailable. If you say otherwise YOU ARE WRONG. End of story.
This game ran horribly on my rig, but I'll concede this could just be my rig - which can run AssCreed II on max settings btw - but the real tip-offs confirming this horrible port is the ridiculously poor user interface design to change the settings and controls and the outright broken mouse sensitivity.

2) T'was a shit story!

This game was vaunted for it's compelling and innovative narrative revolving around themes of Objectivism, complex moral decisions and interesting characters. And that's all a lie.
This is the REAL story of Bioshock: GTFO. That's it. That's all there is to it. The games commentary of Objectivism - which isn't actually Objectivism at all - doesn't have a damn thing to do with you or what you do in the game. Your goal of trying to escape never changes...speaking of which.
This isn't a spoiler cause the game's been out for four years, but 3/4's through the game you're betrayed by the person whose been guiding you up to this point - what a f*cking revolutionary plot twist for a videogame by the way thumbdown.gif - and then told you've been hypnotized to do all the things you did up until that point in the game. BULLSHIT. Everything you did - every action you took - was all to serve your personal goal of escape save for ONE cutscene in which YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THE CHARACTER.
And the 'morality' system, is this: Kill or don't kill a little girl. Really, is that it? It's a binary, repetitive and simple-minded gameplay mechanic and nothing more. Chrono Trigger has more complex moral mechanics behind it and more endings too.

3) T'was a shit game!

And the actual game - the only part that ever really mattered - is boring, repetitive and dull. While them textures may be pretty, the actual design of the levels is some of the worst I've seen in a FPS...ever. I dare you to make sense of this image:

user posted image

And the actual mechanics are clunky, having to constantly switch between appropriate plasmids and guns while fighting multiple respawning enemies gets tiresome really friggin quick - even moreso when you can't just kill them outright, but have to take pictures of them...as they're trying to KILL you!
And don't even get me started on that goddamn Pipe Dream mini-game.

IN CONCLUSION:

Bioshock is a bad bad bad bad baaaaaaaaaad game.

The End.

Moderator Edit
I can't even be bothered to edit the over the top language. You can have the warning though. -R51

This post has been edited by Rangers51 on 10th May 2011 21:50

--------------------
Post #194799
Posted: 10th May 2011 22:01

Black Waltz

Awards:
pretty easy to make sense of that map. the arrows by each staircase icon point to where you'll end up when you cross that point. simple enough.

--------------------
moé in the streets, senpai in the sheets
Post #194801
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: